[MTG] Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012

TheWalt wrote:

If anyone wants to add me to the GWJ MtG group, please do. Thanks!
http://steamcommunity.com/id/thewalt

Invite sent.

If anyone else requested one and did not get it, let me know.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/bassmadoo

I'd like to be added. Fixed my profile URL. This one should work. Thanks.

Does anyone have as much trouble joining a Quick Match multiplayer game as I do? It takes about 15-20 seconds of a Joining message before saying I can't join... rinse repeat over and over. Takes about 5-10 minutes to finally get connected sometimes.
Stainless needs to issue a patch.

Ok, Archenemy mode in this game is seriously stupid. You have to pick a near perfect 3 deck combo and then get near perfect draws and then still get really lucky to win. If I could control all three decks it would be different, but my friendly AI is far, far to stupid to do this. Really not impressed with this game compared to Duels, I have to say.

Dysplastic wrote:

Ok, Archenemy mode in this game is seriously stupid. You have to pick a near perfect 3 deck combo and then get near perfect draws and then still get really lucky to win. If I could control all three decks it would be different, but my friendly AI is far, far to stupid to do this. Really not impressed with this game compared to Duels, I have to say.

Agreed. I think all the huge cards lend a feeling of unbalance. The original DotP felt much more tuned (except that f*cking black deck!).

Dysplastic wrote:

Ok, Archenemy mode in this game is seriously stupid.

Don't worry, it isn't a problem with the game itself, Archenemy just sucks. It's nigh-on impossible to balance in real Magic as well as the game.

Yeah, I agree with that, these decks are much more tuned toward luck, toward pulling the game-winning card early, rather than overall strategy. The only deck I truly like in this collection is the white one, which is remarkably effective, almost no matter what you pull. The new black deck is quite good, too.

The blue-green deck is particularly insane; if you get the right combo there, you can have a 12/12 indestructible creature with Annihilate 4 out on your fifth turn.

Malor wrote:

Yeah, I agree with that, these decks are much more tuned toward luck, toward pulling the game-winning card early, rather than overall strategy. The only deck I truly like in this collection is the white one, which is remarkably effective, almost no matter what you pull. The new black deck is quite good, too.

The blue-green deck is particularly insane; if you get the right combo there, you can have a 12/12 indestructible creature with Annihilate 4 out on your fifth turn.

Each other deck has ways to counter it though. I like these decks better. I know you guys that are having problems will disagree, but all my matches i've have been crazy close. You cant blow your wad early when you see the big shiney card you have to make sure you use it with the right cards behind it or you lose. You also have I've lost more games than i can count by miscalculating and getting the AI down to 5 or less (once to 1) just to lose the game because i didnt pay attention.

You say no overall strategy, but i disagree. If anything it has more than the last game.

So far I have been doing fairly well with the Archenemy mode. Maybe lots of luck involved, who knows

Hey, does anyone have this for the 360? My wife DLCed it recently and after not having touched a M:tG deck in probably 15 years (way back in the early days), I am really enjoying playing again in so friendly a format. Quickly got me up to speed on the new rules, features, etc.

Wouldn't mind some co-op or even some competitive matches if everyone isn't just on Steam playing this.

PS: Out of curiosity, has anyone tried Magic Online? Is it comprable to the Planeswalkers or is it a much bigger time/money sink?

Magic online is a much bigger time and money sink. I believe the boosters and starter decks cost the same as the paper ones, except they're virtual. The advantage over the real cards is the convenience of finding opponents, but you miss out on real interactions, too. Also, until they reintroduce the sealed deck leagues, I wouldn't really want to go back. I prefer those level playing field environments over more common bigger wallet generally wins scenario.

Each other deck has ways to counter it though.

I think only one or two decks have methods of exiling a card, which is pretty much the only way to get rid of an Indestructible creature. And they'd better have it available before that creature attacks, because every attack will cause them to lose four cards in play. And yes, the creature that can summon it that quickly is only a 1/1, and lots of decks have ways to deal with that, but if they didn't happen to pull the right cards, they're toast.

Strewth wrote:

Magic online is a much bigger time and money sink. I believe the boosters and starter decks cost the same as the paper ones, except they're virtual. The advantage over the real cards is the convenience of finding opponents, but you miss out on real interactions, too. Also, until they reintroduce the sealed deck leagues, I wouldn't really want to go back. I prefer those level playing field environments over more common bigger wallet generally wins scenario.

Good to know, Strewth.

One of the bigger limiting factors locally is that my free time is generally pretty late, so while there's a very health M:tG community locally, I don't think I'd have many opportunities to participate. Which is why Planeswalker was such a nice find. Quick, easy to jump into, very instructive early on when I didn't know all the different features, and readily available on the 360.

Ideally, I was hoping that M:O would be an extension of that. Maybe the same limited card selection only with the ability to really build your own decks which then could be tested out in friendly matches against similarly skilled/financed players. Apparently not.

With that in mind, I am sticking to the xbox and hopefully can find a few good folks to play casually with out there.

Speaking of which...

I must be incredibly lucky because I haven't lost a match (granted, only 3) again the Archenemy.

And as far as that Blue/Green deck goes, I've had a few spectacular wins with it (pulling out the 12/12 annihilate early), but I find it to be less reliable than the others I have completed. It really struggled against some of the blast decks (Chandra?) I went up against in Revenge where they'd put heavy pressure on me early and I lost against the green deck twice last night because he had some crazy elf action going on with quick forest buildup then popped an earlyish overrun. Oof.

I've had quite a bit of fun with most of the that I've tried so far. Green was okay, though it didn't seem to have a lot of character but I enjoyed it for some reason. White with the artifacts that change things quickly was fun for certain. Love the countering of the illusion blue deck and the fliers that increase with the number of illusions. Pure red was probably the least interesting to me of the ones I played so far as it was pretty direct. Really enjoyed the Green/Black Elf deck. I had some amazing combinations that worked out better than even the Blue/Green.

Just finished up the Blue/Green. Man, there are some fun cards in there and deciding what to drop after an unlock was tough. Maybe it was luck but I actually struggled with this one more as some of the fast starting decks literally just widdled me down quickly before I got that lucky/right combo. It's a fun deck though... with some crazy deck pulling.

Man, I've now played through the campaign on my brother's account, and let me tell you. That blue-green deck is disgusting when it works.

I grabbed every land in my deck through ramp spells and a Primeval Titan, and I played Kozilek three times, each time he died, only to be drawn at the beginning of my next turn. Nice shuffling, Duels

I'd like to join the group, getting MTG in about 5 min. from now.

Dysplastic wrote:

Ok, Archenemy mode in this game is seriously stupid. You have to pick a near perfect 3 deck combo and then get near perfect draws and then still get really lucky to win. If I could control all three decks it would be different, but my friendly AI is far, far to stupid to do this. Really not impressed with this game compared to Duels, I have to say.

This is exactly how I played it, with 3 controllers on the table in front of me. It was actually pretty fun that way.

A bit of bragging here.
IMAGE(http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6016/2011072000002.jpg)

So, I went 7 wins, 1 loss in the first 8 matches on Archenemy and started thinking... what's so tough about them. Then I ran into a terrible spot with Sarkhan Vol... 4 losses in a row, and none of them close. Finally, rather than just using the current deck I am trying to unlock and 2 random AI, I went for the Guardians of the Wild deck with two allies with it as well for the synergy. Won a very close match (1 AI dead and me at 2 health).

So, yeah, I have much greater appreciation for how tough they are after that. I expect it only to get more difficult with Chandra and beyond.

The hard part about archenemy is that not only are the AI on your team phenominally stupid, but they are also playing with the basic deck without any unlocks. So not only is it impossible to co-ordinate with your teammates, you have to find complimentary decks that work with each other while yours is the most powerful, and assume that your teammates aren't going to do anything useful. During one turn, I waited a moment before I cast a few creatures, and when I was done, some idiot beside me cast evacuate after I cleared my mana pool.

Is there a list of what changed from the 2010/11 version? Is it new rules, or just new cards? I Really enjoyed the older version, but don't want to buy something that's basically the same thing.

Well, they consoled the interface and screwed it up on the PC some, and brought across a couple of decks from the 2011 version. But most of the decks are new, you can take any non-land cards out of your deck (down to 60), and the AI is much, much stronger. It's not so hot at overall strategy, but it's very sharp on tactics.

Also, there's a new co-op mode which is stupid and frustrating and will make you want to murder the AI! Huzzah!

...So yeah, pretty much more of the same. It's cheap, though, so if you've wrung all the play you're likely to get out of the original and just want to have some fun playing around with new decks, it's still a pretty sweet value proposition.

Huh. In an archenemy battle with Nicol Bolas, and he drew a scheme that allowed him to play three schemes on his next turn. Well, the third scheme he played seems to be bugged. Instead of just copying a creature on the board, he copied my dragon with devour and the scheme now appears to be "put x+1 copies of target creature on the battlefield, where x equals the number of creatures devoured." He seems to be heading towards an infinate loop, curious to see how far this goes.

So far he's devoured his way from a 4/4 creature up to a 17/17 creature, which seems to be as high as he can go and keeps repeating that. Went down to 16/16 once, then back up. Seems he's stuck in a loop where he has the 17/17, creates 13 copies, and then the thirteenth devours everything else, and becomes the big creature again.

Oh look, he finally made an 18/18, good for him. Think I'll just let this go for a little while before I concede and see what he can do.

Strewth wrote:

Huh. In an archenemy battle with Nicol Bolas, and he drew a scheme that allowed him to play three schemes on his next turn. Well, the third scheme he played seems to be bugged. Instead of just copying a creature on the board, he copied my dragon with devour and the scheme now appears to be "put x+1 copies of target creature on the battlefield, where x equals the number of creatures devoured." He seems to be heading towards an infinate loop, curious to see how far this goes.

So far he's devoured his way from a 4/4 creature up to a 17/17 creature, which seems to be as high as he can go and keeps repeating that. Went down to 16/16 once, then back up. Seems he's stuck in a loop where he has the 17/17, creates 13 copies, and then the thirteenth devours everything else, and becomes the big creature again.

Oh look, he finally made an 18/18, good for him. Think I'll just let this go for a little while before I concede and see what he can do.

Love it. Tell me you got screenshots?

Is it just me or is this game kind of buggy? I have had it get into a locked state multiple times on my turn where I could not do anything, even play land so I had to concede. It also seems easily confused as a few times I have had it try to cast a spell, and if I mistakenly click an invalid target it says it is invalid, cancels the spell but still takes the mana. Additionally the way it auto-taps lands is maddeningly dumb.

Other than this last bug I wrote about, I haven't had any problems with the game functioning. The land autotap is a known annoyance.

Also, I wanted to point out another rediculousness with archenemy. 2nd turn for the archenemy, and a scheme comes up allowing them to play a creature directly from their hand. So down drops that 12/12 with annihilator 4. It's hard enough to deal with that even when you're well developed, but when you've only had one turn and see that drop? Come on.

Karn is stupid. Do I win his ridiculously overpowered stupid deck when I finally draw the perfect set of cards and beat him?

No, you'll probably have to pay to get that one in an expansion.

Playing Revenge against Sarkhan. And some how the AI got stuck. Won't cast anything or put land down.
At the end of his turn and having 8 cards...it will dispose of a land card...crazy!
Took full advantage to play all my cards of my artifact deck.
EDIT
or so I thought, next turn he just gave up. Still had cards in hand and plenty in his library.

And finished the whole Revenge part as well.

So I just finished maxing out the unlocks for all the decks in this game, and the first expansion doesn't come out for like two more weeks, so I hopped back to the first one (never did finish unlocking all the extra cards from the final expansion for all decks).

I forgot how annoying it was not to be able to drop cards from the decks so that your deck size stayed at 60. On the other hand, I forgot how awesome the black discard deck was. Seriously hope there's something similar in the 2012 expansions.