Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning

I would love to play the DLC if only I could play the bloody game in Japan.

Welp, I just finished the main quest. The amazing thing is...I never finish games, let alone the main questlines in 'em, so it's a testament to how well the game is made that it kept me coming back for more, I think. I played for a little over 50 hours and reached level 37, pure sorcery build. That last boss fight was confusing too. Had to read up on how to complete it because I couldn't figure it out.

Anyway, FUN game. Now that I'm done the main quest, I don't feel the need to really continue, but I think I definitely got my money's worth overall.

Hmm, for some reason it keeps freezing on my 360 version - only an hour or so in, and helping someone get the Selkie girdle, but it's frozen twice on me..is this a known bug with the particular mission, or a general problem ?

I didn't see a single freeze in 80 hours. Maybe clear your cache or try the official forums.

Showed up a third off on Steam so I've yoinked this.

Anyone know if the latest DLC includes a new playable race or what?

Teeth of Naros? No, I don't think it does. I think it introduces a new race as a focus for a bunch of quests.

Maq wrote:

Showed up a third off on Steam so I've yoinked this.

I am so torn.
When the game came out, I struggled with the choice of PC or 360, eventually choosing the 360.

I have finished the game and Dead Kel on the 360, and I don't regret it at all, but I am awfully tempted to play it again on my nice computer.
Decisions, decisions...

It does look very pretty in 1080p with all the post-processing bells and whistles.

And you can still use your Xbox controller.

It looks especially good on ultra-high res with all the effects and at 60 FPS. I'd so far as to say that the difference is like night and day. It's still a great game on the 360, but it only fully realizes its artistic vision on a powerful PC.

Here's a preview I made for my latest combat highlights video.

Man. I forgot how awesome this game is. I think I'm putting it back in the tray. I've been playing way too much CivRev anyway. Time for a change.

BadKen wrote:

It does look very pretty in 1080p with all the post-processing bells and whistles.

And you can still use your Xbox controller.

Bam. This is the way to go for sure. The combat feels great on a gamepad, the graphics look great on my monitor, and the ease of access feels naturally fantastic from Steam.

I've been losing steam (har har) on this game, but I think my resolution to power through only the main quest and the faction quests will help keep me from getting bored with the combat. I was really enjoying it, but it's been struggling to stay at the top of the pile.

mortalgroove wrote:
Maq wrote:

Showed up a third off on Steam so I've yoinked this.

I am so torn.
When the game came out, I struggled with the choice of PC or 360, eventually choosing the 360.

I have finished the game and Dead Kel on the 360, and I don't regret it at all, but I am awfully tempted to play it again on my nice computer.
Decisions, decisions...

Was it Origin that turned you away from PC? It's evil, sure, but not evil enough to deter...

ibdoomed wrote:

Was it Origin that turned you away from PC? It's evil, sure, but not evil enough to deter...

The alternative is getting it on steam. EA's publishing of Reckoning is non-exclusive, so 38 studios put it out themselves on steam as well.

Scratched wrote:
ibdoomed wrote:

Was it Origin that turned you away from PC? It's evil, sure, but not evil enough to deter...

The alternative is getting it on steam. EA's publishing of Reckoning is non-exclusive, so 38 studios put it out themselves on steam as well.

There ya go. I see no reason why anyone would ever buy the console version. Controller support, better resolution, faster loading, everything has hdmi by now...

ibdoomed wrote:
Scratched wrote:
ibdoomed wrote:

Was it Origin that turned you away from PC? It's evil, sure, but not evil enough to deter...

The alternative is getting it on steam. EA's publishing of Reckoning is non-exclusive, so 38 studios put it out themselves on steam as well.

There ya go. I see no reason why anyone would ever buy the console version. Controller support, better resolution, faster loading, everything has hdmi by now...

Some people don't have PCs to run modern games, some prefer playing on the couch, some enjoy their console's social environment, some are more comfortable with consoles due to upbringing, etc.

Three of the four apply to me.

Last night I completed the Underdog Challenge from Nick the QA guy on the Reckoning forums.

Beat the game at level 13.

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/LJG9Pl.jpg)

Guys, I think we need to hold an intervention for BadKen.

ebarstad wrote:

Guys, I think we need to hold an intervention for BadKen.

You want to trick a shark into coming into a room packed with people, and tell him that we don't approve of what he's doing?

BadKen is a miracle of evolution, he's the perfect machine, all he does is play Reckoning, and play some more Reckoning.

Well, sharks can't stay still. I'm more impressed that he does it all with fins. And underwater.

I looked on my Steam friends list yesterday and noticed that BadKen just got an achievement in KoA.

I am puzzled as to how any achievements were left for him to get after his eleventy-two run-throughs.

If you're going to sink a ton of time into a game this is a good one to do it with, that's for sure. I lost a bit of steam on it myself but it is so pick up and play that it's not one of those games where you get halfway through then never play it again. Even after a week of not playing it's very easy to just pick up where you left off.

As an aside I have the Origin version (bought this game retail for PC?!) and it has run without a hitch for me. Absolutely no problems. To be honest I have BF3/Batman: AC/Crysis 2/KoA all on Origin and I haven't had a bit of a problem with any of the games.

I only have one game on Origin, ME3, and it works fine. The issue is that now I have to worry about Origin, Steam, and games I just have installed on the hard drive. The part that bothers me is that it is possible for all my games to be consolidated on one service from which I can update, play, and do whatever I want with ease, but that catch-all service doesn't exist due to business reasons.

As far as crazy run throughs go, speed-runs and low level runs intriuge me, but it's not something I'd ever attempt. Spending all of FF5 breaking rods on bosses and running from battles just to defeat exdeath at lvl 21 seems dumb to me.

I haven't had any problems with Origin either, but the whole EA being stupid thing /is/ rather annoying.

Squee9 wrote:

I only have one game on Origin, ME3, and it works fine. The issue is that now I have to worry about Origin, Steam, and games I just have installed on the hard drive. The part that bothers me is that it is possible for all my games to be consolidated on one service from which I can update, play, and do whatever I want with ease, but that catch-all service doesn't exist due to business reasons.

As much as I'd like a PC gaming utopia, it's never going to happen. There's always been theories about how it could happen, including splitting steam from Valve, but I don't think it gains anything or can happen so long as there are multiple companies involved at all. Heck even on consoles there's land-grabs and attempts at land-grabs in those 'unified' services.

The best I think we can hope for is another layer on top of all the services that hides them all.

I kind of like Origin. EA put a lot of work into it and it does everything it needs to. It's unobtrusive and has a small resource footprint.

It also provides a legitimate alternative to Steam. I can't say I personally need one, but a little market pressure will help keep Valve honest.

Scratched wrote:

The best I think we can hope for is another layer on top of all the services that hides them all.

All I'd need is a small third party program that put them all together. The Store section would show all the deals from all the distributors, and link me through Steam or Origin whenever I wanted to make a purhcase. The Library section would show every game on my computer, and would launch them through their require program.

Some people might call this an "operating system," but it'd be nice to have a complete game organizer program for the PC.

LobsterMobster wrote:

It also provides a legitimate alternative to Steam. I can't say I personally need one, but a little market pressure will help keep Valve honest.

Yes.

Squee9 wrote:

Some people might call this an "operating system," but it'd be nice to have a complete game organizer program for the PC.

The windows games explorer should be an obvious choice, but it's pretty bad and to be honest, sub-standard, compared to pretty much every client by any company. Another example of PC gaming being abandoned by MS.

Bad news for 38 Studios:

http://www2.turnto10.com/business/20...

NBC in Rhode Island wrote:

PROVIDENCE --
State officials have been meeting with the video game company owned by former Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling, Gov. Lincoln Chafee told NBC 10 on Monday.

"We're always working to keep Rhode Island companies solvent, and that's what we're doing with 38 Studios," Chafee said.