Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning

Not sure anyone posted this, but while we're talking about playthroughs:

Listened to Weekend Confirmed and the demo also comes out for PC next week. It covers the opening of the game, with timed exploration of two zones of the overworld.

cyrax wrote:

Listened to Weekend Confirmed and the demo also comes out for PC next week. It covers the opening of the game, with timed exploration of two zones of the overworld.

Oooh, that's likely to get hacked.

cyrax wrote:
kaptainbarbosa wrote:

[...]and has done pretty poor promotion of this thing.

Not from where I stand. They've been releasing a trailer every week for many weeks now. They've also released a good amount of lengthy gameplay videos, at least 100% more than most RPG games. As far as I know, they've had a presence at every geek related trade show. And as you've seen above, some of the team recently went to southern California to speak about the game, not limited to, Giant Bomb, RPGFan, and I also saw they were on Invisible Walls at Gametrailers.

Yeah, they've done a pretty good job of keeping this on people's (aka the media) radar for a while now. If you want to see poor promotion, take a look at Shadows of the Damned and Alice: Madness Returns.

I'm not terribly interested in this title, although the more I hear/learn about it, the more impressive it looks. I'll play the demo for the ME3 goodies though.

kyrieee wrote:

I don't think this game has a chance in hell.

I don't see how you figure.

1. Every impression I've heard from press folk has been positive, and not just in a "I can't say anything negative about this" way. Includes Giant Bomb, the Rebel FM guys, IGN.
2. As has been talked about here, the marketing push is pretty decent and likely to ramp up closer to release.
3. A demo three weeks in advance is usually a sign of a publisher's confidence in a product.
4. It's the only game of its type being put out within a month or so in either direction, unless you count Final Fantasy XIII-2.

I don't know how it'll do in terms of sales, but I can't agree that it's being put out to die. I also suspect the game isn't bad, but we'll see about that come Tuesday.

Re: garrion's video post - holy crap that gamespot dude looks wacky. Noticing a good amount of pop-in, but eh, graphics.

This is a better video than the Gamespot one I posted earlier. Outside of loading times (as they say, dev kit) things run smoothly.

I think the marketing on this has been pretty good. It has certainly ramped up a lot in the last month or so. It's not so much the big splashy TV spots or seeing Amalur being pumped by bruce buffer at the latest UFC event (although i did miss 142 so who knows).

It's more like having Ken Rolston and co. show up on all my favourite podcasts being very geeky, very enthusiastic and largely articulate about their new IP, new RPG system, etc.. This seems to be a perfectly fine way to reach gamers like us.

The gameplay videos are not exactly blowing me off my seat but they are still keeping me interested. My feeling is if I've hit my temporary fill of Skyrim next month, Amalur has a pretty good chance of being picked up.

I've been playing through Divinity 2 lately and I've got to say, it seems to strike a lot of the same notes. I'm almost tempted to put it down out of fear the two are so similar I'll burn myself out on Reckoning before it's even out.

Hmm, I foresee that this is going to interfere with my plan to only purchase ME3 and Bioshock Infinite this year in order to catch up on my backlog.

My stomach just turned.

There's no listing for this game on Steam.

F***ing Origin. I hate you. I don't want you.

I will likely be playing the demo on Xbox.

Amazon.com has the download version for $50.99.

Comes with a full set of neat weapons and a dowsing rod, which makes all alchemical ingredients show up on the map.

I was listening to Random Encounter's episode on Reckoning (the older one) and they say that each and every chicken in the starting town makes a different sound when you kill it. I want to see that on the box. "Over 3 hours of dying chicken sounds!"

"Over 3 hours of dying chicken sounds!"

sold!

LobsterMobster wrote:

Amazon.com has the download version for $50.99.

I'm hesitant to buy the game in general for PC. I'm worried I'll have to activate it on Origin.

SuperDave wrote:
LobsterMobster wrote:

Amazon.com has the download version for $50.99.

I'm hesitant to buy the game in general for PC. I'm worried I'll have to activate it on Origin.

Origin really isn't all that bad. I'd rather have it on Steam but Origin is pretty much my second choice. I'd rather be able to get all my games on two services than Steam plus half a dozen retailers that may or may not still be around.

SuperDave wrote:

My stomach just turned.

There's no listing for this game on Steam.

F***ing Origin. I hate you. I don't want you.

I get confused when I see a reaction as strong as this. Did I miss something about Origin? Like LobsterMobster, I don't find it that bad. It's not exactly going to cure cancer or hug adorable puppies, but as a download client it does it's job.

Scratched wrote:
SuperDave wrote:

My stomach just turned.

There's no listing for this game on Steam.

F***ing Origin. I hate you. I don't want you.

I get confused when I see a reaction as strong as this. Did I miss something about Origin? Like LobsterMobster, I don't find it that bad. It's not exactly going to cure cancer or hug adorable puppies, but as a download client it does it's job.

Origin was required for BF3 and SWTOR, so I'm guessing that hundreds of Goodjers have used it without much complaint. I'd prefer Steam, but actually I've had more problems with Steam (gobbling up RAM when it's supposed to be idling in the background) than I have with Origin (none, really).

Fedaykin98 wrote:
Scratched wrote:
SuperDave wrote:

My stomach just turned.

There's no listing for this game on Steam.

F***ing Origin. I hate you. I don't want you.

I get confused when I see a reaction as strong as this. Did I miss something about Origin? Like LobsterMobster, I don't find it that bad. It's not exactly going to cure cancer or hug adorable puppies, but as a download client it does it's job.

Origin was required for BF3 and SWTOR, so I'm guessing that hundreds of Goodjers have used it without much complaint. I'd prefer Steam, but actually I've had more problems with Steam (gobbling up RAM when it's supposed to be idling in the background) than I have with Origin (none, really).

It's just that while I know GWJ has it's share of hyperbole, it's the kind of reaction I'd imagine from someone in the real world if you killed a relative or stole everything someone had.

Yeah, I agree with you!

As a consumer, being forced to deviate from my proprietary game download service for purposes that appear to be marketing driven pisses me off. I honestly see no benefit to dealing with Origin besides having access to EA's new games, especially after the negative experience I had trying to play the Battlefield 3 beta. I just found the UI to be abysmal. Granted, Steam's isn't much better, but I'm used to it at this point.

Scratched wrote:

I get confused when I see a reaction as strong as this. Did I miss something about Origin?

Perhaps you missed or forgot the incidents where people who got temporary forum bans were locked out of their entire origin library of games? Afterwards EA didn't really do anything to provide assurance that they were taking significant action to make sure such things didn't happen in the future. As things currently stand, getting banned for cheating in Battlefield 3 could lose you your entire library of Origin based single player games forever. Mismanagement of Origin user accounts is pretty much the entire reason I don't want to deal with them.

If that can ever be put aside, EA requiring Origin will be absolutely no different from what Valve did requiring Steam activation for Half Life 2. The primary difference at that point is that Valve has used the last several years to build value into their service and earn the goodwill of their customers while so far EA is just looking like a big company making yet another money grab.

The PC demo is out, 2.8GB over on origin in the play4freemylord section. I guess it's in the usual places on the console side.

It's 1.9 GB on Xbox. I haven't gotten a chance to fire it up yet.

Downloading the PC demo off of Origin right now. I thought this was an action game and only recently found out that it was an open world RPG. I am now intrigued.

Scratched wrote:

The PC demo is out, 2.8GB over on origin in the play4freemylord section. I guess it's in the usual places on the console side.

Now I really hope someone cracks the time limit.

LiquidMantis wrote:

It's 1.9 GB on Xbox. I haven't gotten a chance to fire it up yet.

Nice to be able to try out a new RPG without having to take Skyrim out of the disc tray. Looking forward to this.

So much neat stuff coming out today.

*stares at clock.*

Stop it. You're making me uncomfortable. I'm not coming out, okay?

ClockworkHouse wrote:

Stop it. You're making me uncomfortable. I'm not coming out, okay?

Someone's curious today.

Well, yeah. Demos are for the buy-curious.

LiquidMantis wrote:

Well, yeah. Demos are for the buy-curious.

Well done.