Ran a 5K today

Jonman wrote:

Learned a valuable lesson about nutrition on long runs. 2 energy gels wasn't enough calories to keep me going, and I started to bonk pretty hard in the last mile. Pins'n'needles in my fingers, blurred vision, excessive thirst, and slowing to a walk every few hundred yards.

Once I got back to my car, I wolfed down a protein bar and necked a bottle of water, and felt much better.

That primal feeling of having a desperate need satisfied gives an interesting perspective of what I used to think of as being hungry.

Pasta's the answer there. Lots and lots of pasta. I prefer mine with puttanesca or aglio olio dressing.

Tagging this thread for when I finally heal from my surgery and can get back to running in the spring. Time to start looking for decent shoes as well as other running-related stuff.

Sorry I'm late noticing, Oso, but congrats on the half! Hate to hear about all the pain issues afterward, but hopefully by now they're starting to subside.

Might be running one myself at the end of October, as my opportunities to run have been increasing lately and I'm back up to running nine miles, no problem, and could probably go farther if conditions were right.

Anyway...I'm looking at getting some high-visibility/reflective gear. I could go for a shirt, but then again, I'd hate to ever be in a position of wanting to run on an evening when that shirt wasn't clean, so something along the lines of a vest or some arm bands might be better. Or, something like this, though I worry that would look a little, I dunno, "elementary crossing guard." But I can't say for sure; I've never shopped for this kind of thing before.

Any suggestions?

For evening/night runs I really recommend one of the many flashing LED units available on the market, here's one example.

Flashing lights, even small ones, attract much more attention from drivers than a mere reflective strip. Not to mention that it's better to have something they can see before their headlights hit you. A flasher with 180 degree visibility on both upper arms makes you very easy to notice at night no matter what direction someone approaches you from.

Mytch wrote:

Sorry I'm late noticing, Oso, but congrats on the half! Hate to hear about all the pain issues afterward, but hopefully by now they're starting to subside.

Might be running one myself at the end of October, as my opportunities to run have been increasing lately and I'm back up to running nine miles, no problem, and could probably go farther if conditions were right.

Anyway...I'm looking at getting some high-visibility/reflective gear. I could go for a shirt, but then again, I'd hate to ever be in a position of wanting to run on an evening when that shirt wasn't clean, so something along the lines of a vest or some arm bands might be better. Or, something like this, though I worry that would look a little, I dunno, "elementary crossing guard." But I can't say for sure; I've never shopped for this kind of thing before.

Any suggestions?

Basic disco belt. Wear it around the waist and run as usual; it's all you honestly need. I fyou want to get fancy, then a reflective shirt/shorts is also nice to have, and flashers are nice on busier roads. But I know plenty of folks who do night runs in nothing but a disco belt.

Red flasher for the back, white headlamp for the front & day-glo cap.
Running with a group also helps with this - lots of lights & reflective stuff.

I've fallen out of running lately.
I switched to RunKeeper because I was having trouble with imapmyrun.
I'm Ghostship on runkeeper.
No idea how the whole street team works, but I need the motivation to make time and set work aside so I can train. I'd be happy to join/contribute.
Incidentally, This summer I took up rowing as well (again since High School). That's been my only activity in the last couple of months.

I added you to the Runkeeper list Ghostship, and sent you an invite through Runkeeper as well. If you go to the thread and send everyone invites I'm sure they'll accept as well.

For the most part the street team just allows you to see how much the other people on the team are running, and comment on their runs if you want. It also ranks people by number of runs in a month, so you get a bit of peer pressure motivation.

I hit a new record yesterday. 16 miles in 2:49.

By golly do I hurt today. The last few long runs I've done have been steadily longer and longer, and each one is pushing hard at the boundaries of what I'm capable of - the last mile is hellish.

On the one hand, I'm really proud of the progress, on the other hand, I'm slightly nervous about the fact that I'm 9 weeks away from a marathon, and 26 miles is a lot further than 16.

QUESTION - I'm starting to look at GPS watches for tracking my workouts. Any recommendations? Probably looking around the $400 mark, and preferably want one with a heart rate monitor that will work for runs, rides and swims.

Nice going Jonman. Reward yourself with some recovery time.

Watch-wise, the word on the street is that no one does it better than Garmin. Timex and a few other competitors haven't caught up yet.

Outstanding, Jonman! And +1 to the recovery time suggestion. From everything I've read, it's good not just in terms of preventing you from injury, but it gives your body time to rebuild itself stronger.

At least, that's what I'm telling myself today after a weekend of hard running!

Jonman wrote:

I hit a new record yesterday. 16 miles in 2:49.

By golly do I hurt today. The last few long runs I've done have been steadily longer and longer, and each one is pushing hard at the boundaries of what I'm capable of - the last mile is hellish.

On the one hand, I'm really proud of the progress, on the other hand, I'm slightly nervous about the fact that I'm 9 weeks away from a marathon, and 26 miles is a lot further than 16.

Nice work. You're edging right up to the typical glycogen depletion mileage so it's likely only going to get worse. Not trying to scare you but just be prepared if you hit it. I've never not hit the wall in a marathon length race, so I have no sound advice to give. I've trained, I've fueled, I've tried various things but haven't found the solution yet. Maybe you'll be the one to teach me.

I run with a Garmin but it's nowhere near waterproof. I assume they sell some that are waterproof.

ColdForged wrote:

Nice work. You're edging right up to the typical glycogen depletion mileage so it's likely only going to get worse. Not trying to scare you but just be prepared if you hit it. I've never not hit the wall in a marathon length race, so I have no sound advice to give. I've trained, I've fueled, I've tried various things but haven't found the solution yet. Maybe you'll be the one to teach me.

Yeah, I'm fully aware of that. I've been doing a lot of reading around the subject, particularly because I'm looking at extending out my triathlons next summer to half-iron distance - my target time to finish those in the region of 6 hours, so it's something that I'm going to have to tackle if I want to have any modicum of success.

I'm going a little overboard on fuelling - frankly, I think the only reason I managed yesterday's run at all was a combination of intentional carb-loading and hydration in the couple of days prior, some smart nutrition choices the morning of, and a water belt full of gatorade, nuun pills and energy gels. And even then, I only just managed it.

I'm as prepared for hitting it as I can be, I fully expect to hit it, and I'll be continuing to push the mileage out over the intervening weeks, so what I'm hoping is that I hit it before I'm actually running a marathon, so at least I know what I'm facing. My longest run before the actual marathon will be 22 miles - I'll be surprised if I don't hit it by that point.

Oso wrote:

Reward yourself with some recovery time.

+1 on the recovery time. Mondays are an off day after long runs on Sunday, and my training plan takes into account periodization - every 4th week is a rest week - no long runs at all, and the short runs are scaled down in mileage too.

Jonman wrote:

I hit a new record yesterday. 16 miles in 2:49.

By golly do I hurt today. The last few long runs I've done have been steadily longer and longer, and each one is pushing hard at the boundaries of what I'm capable of - the last mile is hellish.

On the one hand, I'm really proud of the progress, on the other hand, I'm slightly nervous about the fact that I'm 9 weeks away from a marathon, and 26 miles is a lot further than 16.

QUESTION - I'm starting to look at GPS watches for tracking my workouts. Any recommendations? Probably looking around the $400 mark, and preferably want one with a heart rate monitor that will work for runs, rides and swims.

I have one of these.. No complaints.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...

Best advice i ever got was from a former co-worker, who was an elite triathlete. He recommended taking 2oz of pure maltodextrin mixed with water every 20 minutes, with a hit of water every 40 min. I supplemented that with a goo packet every hour, and it worked great for me, in both marathons i've done. It also gives you a something to think about during the run, to give you some short term goals rather than think about the 6 miles you have left at mile 20.

taer wrote:
Jonman wrote:

I hit a new record yesterday. 16 miles in 2:49.

By golly do I hurt today. The last few long runs I've done have been steadily longer and longer, and each one is pushing hard at the boundaries of what I'm capable of - the last mile is hellish.

On the one hand, I'm really proud of the progress, on the other hand, I'm slightly nervous about the fact that I'm 9 weeks away from a marathon, and 26 miles is a lot further than 16.

QUESTION - I'm starting to look at GPS watches for tracking my workouts. Any recommendations? Probably looking around the $400 mark, and preferably want one with a heart rate monitor that will work for runs, rides and swims.

I have one of these.. No complaints.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...

Me too... but I don't swim with it. It's waterproof, but only barely (up to 1m depth for 30 minutes).

taer wrote:
Jonman wrote:

I hit a new record yesterday. 16 miles in 2:49.

By golly do I hurt today. The last few long runs I've done have been steadily longer and longer, and each one is pushing hard at the boundaries of what I'm capable of - the last mile is hellish.

On the one hand, I'm really proud of the progress, on the other hand, I'm slightly nervous about the fact that I'm 9 weeks away from a marathon, and 26 miles is a lot further than 16.

QUESTION - I'm starting to look at GPS watches for tracking my workouts. Any recommendations? Probably looking around the $400 mark, and preferably want one with a heart rate monitor that will work for runs, rides and swims.

I have one of these.. No complaints.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...

Wow. That's cheaper than I was thinking it would be. At that price, I might be happy to sacrifice swimming performance.

Jonman wrote:
taer wrote:
Jonman wrote:

I hit a new record yesterday. 16 miles in 2:49.

By golly do I hurt today. The last few long runs I've done have been steadily longer and longer, and each one is pushing hard at the boundaries of what I'm capable of - the last mile is hellish.

On the one hand, I'm really proud of the progress, on the other hand, I'm slightly nervous about the fact that I'm 9 weeks away from a marathon, and 26 miles is a lot further than 16.

QUESTION - I'm starting to look at GPS watches for tracking my workouts. Any recommendations? Probably looking around the $400 mark, and preferably want one with a heart rate monitor that will work for runs, rides and swims.

I have one of these.. No complaints.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...

Wow. That's cheaper than I was thinking it would be. At that price, I might be happy to sacrifice swimming performance.

Didn't see the swimming requirement. I recall people saying the GPS wasn't that great in the water for the waterproof ones when I was looking.

I have a Garmin 305 with a heart rate monitor. I've used it for several years for running & had no issues (although personally I'd throw the Garmin software in the trash and load SportTracks). Mrs Cod has used the swimcap method with her 305 on several multi-hour open water swims & the only downside she reported is that the wrist strap attachment points tend to dig into the head a bit. Can't comment on the cycling, but there seems to be a cycling mode for you tri-ing types.

Garmin also does the 310XT, which is the version aimed at Triathletes.
I'd suggest reading this before you use a wrist-based GPS for swimming though.

Cod wrote:

I have a Garmin 305 with a heart rate monitor. I've used it for several years for running & had no issues (although personally I'd throw the Garmin software in the trash and load SportTracks). Mrs Cod has used the swimcap method with her 305 on several multi-hour open water swims & the only downside she reported is that the wrist strap attachment points tend to dig into the head a bit. Can't comment on the cycling, but there seems to be a cycling mode for you tri-ing types.

Garmin also does the 310XT, which is the version aimed at Triathletes.
I'd suggest reading this before you use a wrist-based GPS for swimming though.

That's some great information - thanks!

Do you guys find that your water wicking clothes hold B.O.? Even after washing?
How do you get them clean?
Coolmax, drifit, those shirts.

Ghostship wrote:

Do you guys find that your water wicking clothes hold B.O.? Even after washing?
How do you get them clean?
Coolmax, drifit, those shirts.

Someone posted a solution to that problem somewhere on these forums. It may have even been upthread right here. Unfortunately, I don't remember what the solution was, but I could do with finding it out myself.

Jonman wrote:
Ghostship wrote:

Do you guys find that your water wicking clothes hold B.O.? Even after washing?
How do you get them clean?
Coolmax, drifit, those shirts.

Someone posted a solution to that problem somewhere on these forums. It may have even been upthread right here. Unfortunately, I don't remember what the solution was, but I could do with finding it out myself.

I remember seeing a solution to a similar problem in the minimal shoe thread, but I haven't seen a solution re: the shirts. I'm with you though, my sweat wicking shirts have the same issue.

Teneman wrote:
Jonman wrote:
Ghostship wrote:

Do you guys find that your water wicking clothes hold B.O.? Even after washing?
How do you get them clean?
Coolmax, drifit, those shirts.

Someone posted a solution to that problem somewhere on these forums. It may have even been upthread right here. Unfortunately, I don't remember what the solution was, but I could do with finding it out myself.

I remember seeing a solution to a similar problem in the minimal shoe thread, but I haven't seen a solution re: the shirts. I'm with you though, my sweat wicking shirts have the same issue.

Sorry, haven't noticed that problem yet. But then again, I smell like rugged, aged cedar when I sweat, so I may just not have noticed.

I'm 100% sold on the following product: http://www.sportsuds.com/

IMAGE(http://www.sportsuds.com/images/homepagebillboard.jpg)

There may be other brands of athletic / wicking-fabric detergent that do an equally good job, but I've never had cause to try them. Sport Suds works. My workout gear had persistent BO coming out of the wash. Then I started using this stuff and there was no more stench. This makes me happy.

I must get me some of this magical stuff.

Jonman, Kohl's has those compression tees I mentioned earlier on for nine bucks:

Tek Ger Performance Compression Tee

Okay, I bet this is common amongst runners...looking for advice on what it is and what I should do:

For a few weeks now, off and on, I've been having this...sensation in the arch of my right foot. It's not a pain, more of a "twinge," like the tendon is gliding out of place for a second.

I don't know that I'd say it happens when I make any particular motion, and certainly not with every step I take. Like I say, it comes and goes, with varying degrees of intensity. And, even though I said earlier that it isn't a pain, tonight I did experience a much sharper twinge, just randomly getting up out of my chair for intermission at the talent show I was watching.

Looked around a little at a running injury site or two...closest I saw was plantar fasciitis, but indications are that really acts up first thing in the morning, when the tendons haven't had a chance to loosen up, and that isn't really the case with this.

Any thoughts?

Ow.

I've been taking some downtime with very little running in the past month. None actually, other than the Hood to Coast relay and the half marathon. Today I went out for an easy four and damn, there is some stiffness. Most things are fine, but my knee seems to not want to ascend or descend stairs.

time for some ice and a rest day between runs until I'm back in the swing of things.