The alpha of Project Zomboid, a zombie survival RPG, was recently released. RPS has a preview of the game, which looks favourable.
The game, on the surface, seems to have a similar feel to Dead State, but made by a smaller team and using more scaled back art (aka "retro" graphics).
The devs have had some financial trouble with Google and Paypal in recent weeks since they were selling a product that hadn't been released. Not sure if they got their money from Google, but they've worked around the pre-order stuff by selling some of their existing games and giving away Project Zomboid as a bonus.
Anyway, looks interesting. Here are the planned features:
- Retro-isometric style with plenty of zombie insides thrown in for good measure.
- A massive city and the surrounding areas to traverse, explore and loot.
- Open-ended sandbox world – survival is your only goal, and we’re sorry to tell you… you WILL die eventually.
- Get infected. How will you spend your final days? Will you have a heroic moment of self-sacrifice, or end up chewing your best friend’s throat out?
- Meet other survivors who you can join forces with, trade with, undertake missions for, or fight with for resources.
- Loot, salvage, and build what you need to survive the apocalypse, from food and medical supplies, to weapons, even just booze to help get you through the nights.
- Advanced item crafting allows you to use looted items to build weapons, traps, defenses, and many other things to help you survive.
- Character progression. Learn skills and perks to help your character face the challenges of survival.
- Starvation, illness, loneliness, depression, alcoholism, drug addiction, suicide, insanity, trust issues. There’s more to zombie survival than shooting zombie heads off.
- Join your friends and survive the apocalypse together in co-op multiplayer.
- The world changes the longer you survive; power plants fail, plunging the city into darkness and making batteries and tinned food prized commodities. The army rolls into the streets to perform ‘clean up operations’ and other gamechanging events occur the longer you survive.
- Play in your browser, or stand-alone, on PC, Mac and Linux.