Osama Bin Laden is dead!

Parallax Abstraction wrote:

My girlfriend and I were just going to bed when she decided to quickly check Twitter. So much for going to bed at a reasonable hour now. I'm giving Twitter another hour before it melts.

I honestly never thought I would see this happen. Ultimately, it's going to invigorate morale for sure but in the big picture, nothing will be different tomorrow. The wars won't end, soldiers will still be getting killed and the middle east will still largely want to see us destroyed. Nonetheless, this is a victory and while I don't believe in Hell, if there is one I hope that's where he will spend the rest of time.

That's why this is so bittersweet. It took someting like $990B and 10 years to catch this clown and it does very little to change the landscape of the War on Terror. We need to pull the f'ck out of the Middle East completely and focus the manpower and funds on security here at home.

One more reason to celebrate May day. May the bastard rot in hell.

93_confirmed wrote:
Parallax Abstraction wrote:

My girlfriend and I were just going to bed when she decided to quickly check Twitter. So much for going to bed at a reasonable hour now. I'm giving Twitter another hour before it melts.

I honestly never thought I would see this happen. Ultimately, it's going to invigorate morale for sure but in the big picture, nothing will be different tomorrow. The wars won't end, soldiers will still be getting killed and the middle east will still largely want to see us destroyed. Nonetheless, this is a victory and while I don't believe in Hell, if there is one I hope that's where he will spend the rest of time.

That's why this is so bittersweet. It took someting like $990B and 10 years to catch this clown and it does very little to change the landscape of the War on Terror. We need to pull the f'ck out of the Middle East completely and focus the manpower and funds on security here at home.

Yeah, well not before I get to run outside and yell "PEW PEW PEW!!!"

Parallax Abstraction wrote:

...and the middle east will still largely want to see us destroyed.

That is an amazing reduction of the views of a region comprising of 16 or so countries, hundreds of millions of people, and over a dozen ethnic groups. Even if you are only counting the opinion of Middle Eastern governments, which are a poor representation the average viewpoint of their citizens, the US-friendly and neutral countries far outnumber the hostile ones.

1.72 next president is democratic.... I think that might be a good bet before they change the line.

Bad wording on my part. I do know that the middle east as a whole does not want to destroy the west. However, those that do are even more motivated tonight than they were yesterday, this cannot be denied.

Special thanks to Tristan for swoooping Osama's poon like a boss.

From Lobster's Wikileaks Thread:

It can also today be disclosed that:

*A senior Al-Qaeda commander claimed that the terrorist group has hidden a nuclear bomb in Europe which will be detonated if Bin-Laden is ever caught or assassinated. The US authorities uncovered numerous attempts by Al-Qaeda to obtain nuclear materials and fear that terrorists have already bought uranium. Sheikh Mohammed told interrogators that Al-Qaeda would unleash a “nuclear hellstorm”.

Has anyone read more details on the legitimacy of this claim?

Wow.

Looks like a party outside the White House, on CNN.

Huh. Meh.

My reaction to the news.

Good riddance.I don't like to wish ill will on anyone, but for certain "special" individuals I'm willing to make and acception.
I hope he joins al-Zarqawi and the Husseins roasting on a spit in hell. The pinnacle of human garbage indeed.

93_confirmed wrote:

From Lobster's Wikileaks Thread:

It can also today be disclosed that:

*A senior Al-Qaeda commander claimed that the terrorist group has hidden a nuclear bomb in Europe which will be detonated if Bin-Laden is ever caught or assassinated. The US authorities uncovered numerous attempts by Al-Qaeda to obtain nuclear materials and fear that terrorists have already bought uranium. Sheikh Mohammed told interrogators that Al-Qaeda would unleash a “nuclear hellstorm”.

Has anyone read more details on the legitimacy of this claim?

That was where I read that! Hopefully it is just blustering and the results of wanting the torture to end.

Bonus_Eruptus wrote:

Special thanks to Tristan for swoooping Osama's poon like a boss.

I tried to upvote this but then realized I wasn't on reddit. Still, that was an excellent mbmbam callback.

So I guess we'll find out if it is true or not if there is a hidden nuke.

In fact, looks like a pep rally, complete with girls doing basket catches. God Bless America.

Is it just me, or did Obama's hair seem a lot less gray in that speech?

Ugh. The first thing I saw about this on Facebook: "I'm sure the Obama administration will milk this for all it's worth." I hate people soooooo much.

I honestly don't get the cheering and what not. My first thought was that way too many people had to die for this largely symbolic act to happen.

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/KDssc.jpg)

CNN is saying it was a small team of SEALs and the operation took about 40 minutes to execute. The large compound was in Abattabad (affluent community) was heavily reinforced with an impressive level of security. In addition to OBL, 6 males (including OBL's son and two couriers) and a woman who was used as a human shield were killed.

I can't omagine what it was like for the SEALs that got the phone call to move on OBL and then to storm a compound with so much on the line and in such a difficult area to get in undetected. Amazing stuff!

iaintgotnopants wrote:

Ugh. The first thing I saw about this on Facebook: "I'm sure the Obama administration will milk this for all it's worth." I hate people soooooo much.

I honestly don't get the cheering and what not. My first thought was that way too many people had to die for this largely symbolic act to happen.

Watching the reactions have been an interesting case study.

So far, I have seen people say:

1. They are upset that "Celebrity Apprentice" got interrupted.
2. Nothing is going to change, so it makes no difference if we killed him or not.
3. It is disrespectful to be celebrating the death of someone regardless of what evil they may have done.
4. This is all a lie from Obama who is desperate to raise his approval ratings.

Well, I personally make no apologies for being exceptionally grateful that someone as evil and wicked as OBL is now worm fodder.

Why do they keep saying that this manhunt has defined an entire generation? A generation is longer than ten years.

Also, somebody on msnbc almost said that Obama has been killed.

HopeChest wrote:

In fact, looks like a pep rally, complete with girls doing basket catches. God Bless America.

I think the last place I would want to be is in a large crowd celebrating the death of the figurehead of a major terrorist organization. Doesn't strike me as a very safe place.

If it was in fact the Teams that conducted this op... that makes 2 badass things the SEALs have done under Obama's watch:

Snipers simultaneously taking out pirates in heavy seas.
And this.

I have a few friends that are still in the teams, and while they're currently deployed, you better believe they're not going to have to buy drinks anytime soon.

Phoenix Rev wrote:

2. Nothing is going to change, so it makes no difference if we killed him or not.

Well, I personally make no apologies for being exceptionally grateful that someone as evil and wicked as OBL is now worm fodder.

Both of these. I am glad he's dead and I think the world is richer having lost him but as I said before, things will still be bad for the troops tomorrow, the wars will go on and the problem will ultimately not have been solved at all. And everyone I've seen bitching on Twitter about missing Celebrity Apprentice, well there's really nothing good to say about them.

I would just add that there's cheering because even though this is symbolic, it's not *meaningless* symbolism. The guy who was ultimately behind the killing of thousands of people didn't get away with his crime, a crime that even if people wanted to forget, they couldn't. There was still real pain from the memory of that tragedy. Making the person responsible for that tragedy pay for his actions creates a sense of profound relief for those suffering with that pain. It feels a lot better than hearing we killed another goat farmer who was like, nine years old on 9/11.

Sometimes people cry when they experience great joy. Sometimes people cheer when they experience a massive abatement of their grief. Emotions are complex like that.

edit: iaintgotnopants, I was thinking the same thing. In between laughing about the dude who showed up with the BUSH CHENEY sign.

casual_alcoholic wrote:
93_confirmed wrote:

CNN is saying it was a small team of SEALs and the operation took about 40 minutes to execute. The large compound was in Abattabad (affluent community) was heavily reinforced with an impressive level of security. In addition to OBL, 6 males (including OBL's son and two couriers) and a woman who was used as a human shield were killed.

I can't omagine what it was like for the SEALs that got the phone call to move on OBL and then to storm a compound with so much on the line and in such a difficult area to get in undetected. Amazing stuff!

I'm pumped for the movie rendition.

And the Call of Duty mission pack.

93_confirmed wrote:

CNN is saying it was a small team of SEALs and the operation took about 40 minutes to execute. The large compound was in Abattabad (affluent community) was heavily reinforced with an impressive level of security. In addition to OBL, 6 males (including OBL's son and two couriers) and a woman who was used as a human shield were killed.

I can't omagine what it was like for the SEALs that got the phone call to move on OBL and then to storm a compound with so much on the line and in such a difficult area to get in undetected. Amazing stuff!

I'm pumped for the movie rendition.

Edit: I also saw this quote and had to share!

"I guess Bin Laden shouldn't have entered his address on the PSN."

A few thoughts on Osama's death.

#1 - Funny that this happens shortly after getting rid of the terror color code scale. Can we wear our shoes through security again?

#2 - Middle East news is doubting the news. Don't they know that if this was a conspiracy it would have happened in October 2012? Clearly they don't understand US politics.

#3 - How long can the birthers and "Obama's a secret Muslim" fools keep quiet. Certainly this buys the administration 2 or 3 days of breathing room.

Also, the PSN joke is money.

iaintgotnopants wrote:

No nobody knows who got fired.

We were too busy finding out who got fired on!

I won't celebrate the death of another human, but I will confess to just a small feeling of catharsis at the news, and the hope that in a small way this will help us move on as a nation.

It will not, however, end human stupidity, so don't let the inevitable wave of moronic complaints/commentary harsh your mellow, people. Personally, I'm looking forward to hearing Fox News spin this one. Should be epic.

Phoenix Rev wrote:

1. They are upset that "Celebrity Apprentice" got interrupted.

And there's the reason why Obama scheduled his speech for when he did. Just to get back at Trump for all the birth certificate bullsh*t.

Now nobody knows who got fired.

Same here, Coldstream. Hopefully we can move on as a nation. And yeah, the reaction of Republicans and Fox will be interesting.

So, when is Obama going to do his landing on an aircraft carrier to give a speech?

Thirteenth wrote:
casual_alcoholic wrote:
93_confirmed wrote:

CNN is saying it was a small team of SEALs and the operation took about 40 minutes to execute. The large compound was in Abattabad (affluent community) was heavily reinforced with an impressive level of security. In addition to OBL, 6 males (including OBL's son and two couriers) and a woman who was used as a human shield were killed.

I can't omagine what it was like for the SEALs that got the phone call to move on OBL and then to storm a compound with so much on the line and in such a difficult area to get in undetected. Amazing stuff!

I'm pumped for the movie rendition.

And the Call of Duty mission pack.

I'd prefer an ARMA or a SOCOM or a Rainbow Six pack.

In Call of Duty, the final battle sequence would have bin Laden flying through the air in a rocket-propelled rubber dingy and you'd have to shoot it down with STINGER missiles, or something suitably ridiculous and XXXXTreme!!