Hawken - Catch All

Don't forget about:
HAWKENGDC
HAWKENSXSW
HAWKENEC3
(not sure if some of these have expired by now)

Never played this game but I will definitely check it out once my oculus rift gets here since it will have full support. Just got 10000 credits using those codes, thanks!

Dakhath wrote:

Don't forget about:
HAWKENGDC
HAWKENSXSW
HAWKENEC3
(not sure if some of these have expired by now)

Thanks. All of those work but the last one.

Gumbie wrote:

Never played this game but I will definitely check it out once my oculus rift gets here since it will have full support. Just got 10000 credits using those codes, thanks!

Jealous. Now that might be worth a Nashville get together

I haven't played this in a long time, but am tempted to try it again. I think they just put out a big patch that changed the economy to where you could earn all mechs for free by completely leveling up mechs one by one. Also, this map looks cool:

That is a seriously pretty game.

RolandOfGilead on the Hawken forums, surprise surprise

I'm still playing this from time to time. I started back in the Alpha. The latest update (called Hawken: Ascension) changed a lot for better or for worse but mostly for the better in my opinion. There is now a basic party system, a new map which is gorgeous and fun, they changed some of the HUDs for the mechs, and they seriously revamped all of the mech internals and mech progression systems. Anyone who hasn't played in a while will probably be surprised at all the changes. The UI and menu still need some work though. All in all, I have really enjoyed my time with Hawken and plan on continuing to play. Although, I think it's about time they release the game out of "beta". Not that it means anything, it just seems like it's been in beta for soooooooo long.....

Interesting. Horde for mechs.

I keep meaning to try this again. I always liked it, but was turned off of how they were doing monetization at one point. I think they changed some stuff since, though.

I saw that this is coming to Steam. Anyone playing?

NathanialG wrote:

I saw that this is coming to Steam. Anyone playing?

I keep meaning to try it again, but I haven't. I'd definitely hop back in to see how it's evolved if others were playing.

MannishBoy wrote:
NathanialG wrote:

I saw that this is coming to Steam. Anyone playing?

I keep meaning to try it again, but I haven't. I'd definitely hop back in to see how it's evolved if others were playing.

Kinda the same here. I don't recall having too much fun in beta, as I was only ever getting my ass kicked and couldn't get a shot in edgewise, but damn, that game looks good!

Looks like you cant start a new account until they finish the migration to Steam. Sadface.

WipEout wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:
NathanialG wrote:

I saw that this is coming to Steam. Anyone playing?

I keep meaning to try it again, but I haven't. I'd definitely hop back in to see how it's evolved if others were playing.

Kinda the same here. I don't recall having too much fun in beta, as I was only ever getting my ass kicked and couldn't get a shot in edgewise, but damn, that game looks good!

Oh, I had fun. And I actually did pretty well during alpha/beta, better than I did in Mechwarrior. But the economy was a real turn off. I think it's gotten adjusted a lot, so maybe it's better now.

Beta was fun but I think I had too many other things on back log (Not that I don't still have one)...I'm up for loading this up again! Prefer this a lot more than the slow mechwarrior slug it out game.

I'd like to try this with the rift but I keep forgetting I have it. Tried it at PAX and it was pretty fun. Any hints for newbies?

Octacon100 wrote:

I'd like to try this with the rift but I keep forgetting I have it. Tried it at PAX and it was pretty fun. Any hints for newbies?

Stay with your teammates, don't solo out alone much.

Hawken really is a much more traditional FPS than a mech game. So most of the same rules apply.

Looks like it's up on Steam. Installing. If you already have an account, they sent out email codes to put into Steam. I assume that gives you your XP/credits from before.

MannishBoy wrote:

Looks like it's up on Steam. Installing. If you already have an account, they sent out email codes to put into Steam. I assume that gives you your XP/credits from before.

It doesn't seem to be there yet for people who don't already have an account. At least I couldn't find it.

NathanialG wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:

Looks like it's up on Steam. Installing. If you already have an account, they sent out email codes to put into Steam. I assume that gives you your XP/credits from before.

It doesn't seem to be there yet for people who don't already have an account. At least I couldn't find it.

Maybe a staged rollout then. Get the people already in playing, make sure the load balancing works, then drop it for everybody else.

MannishBoy wrote:
NathanialG wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:

Looks like it's up on Steam. Installing. If you already have an account, they sent out email codes to put into Steam. I assume that gives you your XP/credits from before.

It doesn't seem to be there yet for people who don't already have an account. At least I couldn't find it.

Maybe a staged rollout then. Get the people already in playing, make sure the load balancing works, then drop it for everybody else.

Now it is there!

Edit: Nope! Spoke slightly too soon, it will be available on the thirteenth. There is a page for it now though.

I hopped in quickly, and it's come a long way since my brief time in alpha/beta? Full tutorial section by the looks of things.

El-Producto wrote:

I hopped in quickly, and it's come a long way since my brief time in alpha/beta? Full tutorial section by the looks of things.

Definitely looks like the economy is more reasonable. From my previous play time, I have 55,000 in credits, which is enough to buy several mech chassis. Not sure how the earning rate is, but it at least send like prices are more fair.

Liking at YouTube, though, there don't seem to be many player videos. Wonder how strong the community is...

Curious about the game- just have so many I'm curious about. I'd like to give it a chance but I wonder if Titanfall will disappointment me in Hawken (I don't assume it's the same game, but I don't see how I couldn't compare the two).

demonbox wrote:

Curious about the game- just have so many I'm curious about. I'd like to give it a chance but I wonder if Titanfall will disappointment me in Hawken (I don't assume it's the same game, but I don't see how I couldn't compare the two).

Completely different, in that there's no infantry play. Still faster mechs than a more sim game like Mechwarrior Online. I'd say Hawken is faster than Titanfall, with dash, boost, and jump boost all available.

I'm still up for trying to get a few of us together to play at some point. I reinstalled, I just haven't played any yet.

I remembered this game exists today and I'm interested, just picked up the prosk bundle. I'm usually pretty horrible at shooters though :/

eta: the co-op is pretty fun, I've never played horde but I'm enjoying this setup. Despite this original post I'm actually doing quite well in team death match.

I really want to like this game. Sadly though it just fails to hit the mark on many areas. Light mechs have the same firepower as the heaviest mechs, armor is a cruel joke and many other little things on top of that. A few people I talked to who have played it for ages mentioned that before the latest update that fights were not 2 to 3 second affairs. That 2 mechs duking it out would take a while to knock one of them down. Now it is fast and boring.

I don't mind fast mech games but I want the fights to be determined by mech fighting skill. Right now it plays a lot like COD where if you get jumped you are dead in a second or two. If 2 light mechs fight a heavy there is no way the heavy is going to live and a very very slim chance that he is even going to be able to knock one down. Have to say this is the COD of mech games and that isn't a compliment. Funny thing is I love Titanfall mech combat.

Nastrado wrote:

I really want to like this game. Sadly though it just fails to hit the mark on many areas. Light mechs have the same firepower as the heaviest mechs, armor is a cruel joke and many other little things on top of that. A few people I talked to who have played it for ages mentioned that before the latest update that fights were not 2 to 3 second affairs. That 2 mechs duking it out would take a while to knock one of them down. Now it is fast and boring.

I don't mind fast mech games but I want the fights to be determined by mech fighting skill. Right now it plays a lot like COD where if you get jumped you are dead in a second or two. If 2 light mechs fight a heavy there is no way the heavy is going to live and a very very slim chance that he is even going to be able to knock one down. Have to say this is the COD of mech games and that isn't a compliment. Funny thing is I love Titanfall mech combat.

Have you tried Mechwarrior? It's a much more tactical mech game. I actually enjoyed it more, and I was in the alpha's for both. I still periodically play Mechwarrior, but got ran out of Hawken due to the early economy being a bit annoying.

The economy isn't quite that bad grind wise, trouble is that the stuff you can pay for touches actual gameplay features. Which means the game itself has become a little warped by it, most notably in the matchmaking, which is atrocious.
They're also apparently focusing on making content they can sell rather then improving the basic stuff (VOIP doesn't even work yet, there isn't a CTF mode, all the maps are pretty much the same size, etc.).

I really, really wished they had gone for the DOTA2/Loadout model instead, or just gone the Strike Vector way which is what everyone had been expecting back when it got first announced. Instead everything in the game and everything they do with the game is extremely suspect.

Chtulie wrote:

They're also apparently focusing on making content they can sell rather then improving the basic stuff (VOIP doesn't even work yet, there isn't a CTF mode, all the maps are pretty much the same size, etc.).

None of that really bothers me. I think the maps are pretty good from what I've played of the older ones and seen of the newer ones. I'd rarely use VOIP with pubs, and I HATE non-organized CTF

And yes, the mech purchase grind is better than it was. It used to be really hard to afford mechs through just play, but when I logged back in, I had enough credits to probably buy and equip a couple of new mechs if I wanted to.

MannishBoy wrote:

pubs

Avoiding pubs the game might actually be good, if you can get enough friends to fill a map. And I haven't found a way to host or in some other way set up a game of my own, probably because if players could do that it could mess up the free to play model. like tf2's achievement servers back in the day.
The moment ftp payment touches the core gameplay it really does invade everything in the gameplay experience.