BEER Thread!

wordsmythe wrote:
I'm a big fan of browns. It's partly due to burnout on over-hopped beers.

I moved largely away from hop bombs a couple years ago, but I moved more towards malty lager styles like Viennas and schwarzbiers, various stouts, and saisons and other Belgian styles. Browns . . . I dunno, they're kind of like the Applebee's of beer. They're not good, they're not bad, they generally just kind of strive for the middle and hit it solidly almost every time. I don't dislike them, I just never expect much.

iaintgotnopants wrote:
MilkmanDanimal wrote:
garion333 wrote:
Yummy looking. I love nut flavored things.

...Yeah, I'm just gonna leave that there.


Make sure you pour properly, you want good head with your nut-flavored things.

This is a penis joke, right? If not, it should be.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo that would be immature and wrong.

carrotpanic wrote:
Samuel Smith's Nut Brown, one of my favorite beers

IMAGE(http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4043/4179370643_27e63089a4.jpg)

I'm not a fan. I think it tastes weird.

Now, if we're talking Samuel Smith...

IMAGE(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2532/3891960210_974579472f.jpg)

This is far and away my favorite they make. I can never find it, but it's amazing.

A friend of mine is going to Wisconsin this weekend and he's bringing some New Glarus back for me. mmm.... Until he gets back I'll be enjoying Peace Tree Brewing's Hop Wrangler. They have a special reserve double IPA that is fantastic. I'm surprised no one has mentioned anything from Dogfishhead. I love their 60 and 90 minute IPAs as well as some of their other unique beers. I believe they do unique beers as well as New Glarus but I'd really like to spend a lot more time researching.

I think it goes without saying that the 60, 90 and 120 minute IPAs are awesome.

EvilHomer3k wrote:
A friend of mine is going to Wisconsin this weekend and he's bringing some New Glarus back for me. mmm.... Until he gets back I'll be enjoying Peace Tree Brewing's Hop Wrangler. They have a special reserve double IPA that is fantastic. I'm surprised no one has mentioned anything from Dogfishhead. I love their 60 and 90 minute IPAs as well as some of their other unique beers. I believe they do unique beers as well as New Glarus but I'd really like to spend a lot more time researching.

Have them bring you something from Ale Asylum if they can find it!

KrazyTacoFO wrote:
I think it goes without saying that the 60, 90 and 120 minute IPAs are awesome.

Not to go into a "everything used to be better" rant, but I used to really loved DFH. They started filtering their 60 Minute at one point, and I weep for that, it was so awesome before in a really unique way. That being said, the 120 minute is one of the sweetest beers ever and I cannot for the life of me stomach it. REALLY syrupy stuff.

Now, New Glarus? That's a brewery I totally love.

Thats one of the great things about living in Wisconsin is seeing New Glarus on tap everywhere.

IMAGE(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3618/3335581435_97ffd3c7bc.jpg)

(Not my picture)

The Liquor Control Board of Ontario, our Benevolent Government Monopoly on Booze, doesn't bring in that many American microbrews. I am very thankful that Southern Tier is one of them. It's regular IPA is outstanding, and this Gemini IPA was unbelievable tonight. Perfectly hoppy. I'm dying to try some of this Brooklyn stuff you guys keep raving about though.

Wordy, based on my last trip Stateside, I can see why you would be burnt out on hoppy beer - I feel like US Microbreweries try to outdo each other on who can make the hoppiest IPA. It's a weird thing that isn't present here, which is both a blessing and a curse, as its often difficult to find a really good hoppy beer here. Though if you ever come to Montreal, I can promise you some Quebec Microbrews to die for.

I will hold you to that.

Southern Tier is fantastic.

Zima is probably the best beer ever, it is like the gods descended down to Earth to fill our throats with liquid ambrosia.

Zima is the Budweiser of alcopops.

carrotpanic wrote:
Zima is the Natural Ice of alcopops.

Zima is the Zima of Zima. Or was, didn't they stop making it?

Yes they did the fools. I haven't had a good bear in years now that Zima is no more. Perhaps I might try brewing my own.

At least they still make Jolly Ranchers. That way you only have to brew the one flavor of Zima, but can experience a plethora of flavors.

I used to listen to this podcast. Some good info about beer and things surrounding it: http://www.beerschool.com/

Baron Of Hell wrote:
Yes they did the fools. I haven't had a good bear in years now that Zima is no more. Perhaps I might try brewing my own.

I can't tell if you're rickrolling us or not. If not, congrats, you're the only person I've ever seen who likes Zima.

I do want to give Zima credit for starting the entire flavored malt beverage alcopop craze. They were too late to enjoy their own success, but Mike's Hard Lemonade, Smirnoff Ice, and the dozens of imitators all share DNA from Zima.

In other words, they almost singlehandedly invented the freshman 15. Now that's Zomething Different.

(ps they still make and market it to the Japanese)

No feelings for Zima - it came and went before I began drinking. I did love Crystal Pepsi, though

I just want to give a shoutout to The Beer Trappe which is my favorite bar and the refuge for my inner beer snob. Just glad to have a good beer bar in an otherwise college (i.e. shots and redbull) focused town.

PyromanFO wrote:
I just want to give a shoutout to The Beer Trappe which is my favorite bar and the refuge for my inner beer snob. Just glad to have a good beer bar in an otherwise college (i.e. shots and redbull) focused town.

You had that on my "must see places in lexington" list you made me, and I'm definitely planning on checking it out when I swing by there.

Stumbled across this little beauty in my local grocery store...

IMAGE(http://www.brewdog.com/media/beers/5am/bottle.jpg)

It caught my eye because it's from the same brewery in Scotland that makes the ludicrous 42% ABV strongest-beer-in-the-world.

It's really bloody nice. I do love me an amber ale, and this one is bold without being too bitter. Great stuff.

It's also encouraged me to organise my friends into having a whip-round and getting a bottle of the 42% Sink The Bismarck and one of the 32% Tactical Nuclear Penguin to share between us.

PyromanFO wrote:
I just want to give a shoutout to The Beer Trappe which is my favorite bar and the refuge for my inner beer snob. Just glad to have a good beer bar in an otherwise college (i.e. shots and redbull) focused town.

That reminds me. I went to a place called the Sunset Grill & Tap while I was in Boston for PAX East. The table wait was over an hour and a half, but the beer selection (200+ varieties) was incredible. I ended up getting a mead sampler and a winter stout. The food was great too, but to be fair, I was a little hosed at the time.

I'm loath to bring this up here but over at Quarter to Three they are also fans of beer and have put together a North American beer exchange thread. Essentially everybody put their names in, they were divided up into pairs (hopefully located as far apart as possible) and shipped off the best microbrews in the area to their match. I myself am already participating in it so I really don't want to organize it here.

Cask Bear Fest is coming up soon in Seattle.
www.washingtonbeer.com

I think there will be beer there.

Dysplastic wrote:
Wordy, based on my last trip Stateside, I can see why you would be burnt out on hoppy beer - I feel like US Microbreweries try to outdo each other on who can make the hoppiest IPA. It's a weird thing that isn't present here, which is both a blessing and a curse, as its often difficult to find a really good hoppy beer here.

I love hoppy beers, and BC microbrews are there to deliver:

Right now I'm drinking one of these, Phillips' Hoperation Belgian IPA. Phillips (from Victoria, BC) makes a couple of other great IPAs, their regular Hopcircle IPA and their Amnesiac Double IPA. Hoperation is really good in that it's got that great super hoppy flavour, but with a different finish. I'm not sure how to describe it but a friend of mine said it finishes likes a Hefeweizen. It almost has that sort of velvety feel of a Dogfish Head.

IMAGE(http://www3.telus.net/public/me8428/files/hoperation.jpg)

These were from last week, hence being empty in the pic, Tree Brewing's Hop Head Double IPA (Kelowna, BC). They have a regular Hop Head IPA, and the double is pretty much that: twice as hoppy, twice as good.

IMAGE(http://www3.telus.net/public/me8428/files/hophead.jpg)

And last weekend I tried an original San Diego double IPA, Green Flash's West Coast IPA. Great hoppy flavour, but it smelled like BO. I guess in wine-tasting it's called nose? Well, a big old nose of sweaty armpit. Though Mrs. Gravey says it smells like soap. There you go. Tastes great though!

IMAGE(http://www3.telus.net/public/me8428/files/greenflash.jpg)

Okay, that's all for now. I've been itching to post but was sick for a week so no beer. But I'm better now!

I got my half of the Quarter to Three beer exchange yesterday from Pennsylvania. I haven't had a chance to drink any of it yet but I plan to tonight.
IMAGE(https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_eqAkC3DeJXQ/TYv6Y7lXxkI/AAAAAAAACog/GThbyzQj_r4/s640/IMG_6028.JPG)

Gravey wrote:
IMAGE(http://www3.telus.net/public/me8428/files/hoperation.jpg)

That picture cries out for pretzels.

Norfair wrote:
I got my half of the Quarter to Three beer exchange yesterday from Pennsylvania. I haven't had a chance to drink any of it yet but I plan to tonight.
IMAGE(https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_eqAkC3DeJXQ/TYv6Y7lXxkI/AAAAAAAACog/GThbyzQj_r4/s640/IMG_6028.JPG)

Nice! I'm fan of the Nugget Nectar and Golden Monkey. Good brews. Can't say I've ever seen the four on the left though.

Double Bag is fantastic.