2010/11 Soccer Thread - Hitting The Home Stretch

Pages

Blah, blah, blah last year, blah, blah, blah next year, blah, blah, blah endless transfer rumors, blah, blah, blah mounting debt.

Who's ready for the new season eh? So many questions. Can Real Madrid and Mourinho win a European title? Is Woy Hodgson the man to shake Liverpool out of its slumber? Is German football back? Are Inter looking at an absolute nuclear disaster of a season without the Special One? Will the addition of David Villa to Barca make them the most dominant/overused team in FIFA 11 (yes, 1000 times yes).

Should be a fun one.

Tagging thread now so I'm not the last one to find out about it

Mr. O.G. Prederick,

Thank you very much for the invitation.

I look forward to an exciting thread full of Dave's impotent anger about a clearly unsustainable system that refuses to change.

H^7

Thierry Henry to New York Red Bulls. Another watchable* MLS team? Should be interesting having him paired with Juan Pablo Angel.

*LA Galaxy, the Seattle Sounders when Ljungberg decides to give a crap, and possibly Real Salt Lake are teams that don't put me to sleep (I am looking at you last Saturday's Philadelphia Union vs San Jose Earthquakes match).

Can someone give me reasons why I should tune into MLS? I've always watched the WC, started watching the Premiere League and Series A games last year, but I look at MLS as some sort of minor, minor league. What, if anything, am I missing by not watching?

Also tagging the thread; I need to figure out what football to watch, post World Cup. I've heard Champion's League from a number of people. I can probably watch MLS and Mexican games without a problem, and some EPL.

93_confirmed wrote:

Can someone give me reasons why I should tune into MLS? I've always watched the WC, started watching the Premiere League and Series A games last year, but I look at MLS as some sort of minor, minor league. What, if anything, am I missing by not watching?

Outside of the four teams I listed MLS doesn't offer much for me (if the Miami or Tampa teams still existed I'd probably be able to watch those teams as well). Then again I only go out of my way to watch the the top four in La Liga and the top 10 in the EPL. Oddly I will watch any Mexican League game that pops on.

Tanglebones wrote:

Also tagging the thread; I need to figure out what football to watch, post World Cup. I've heard Champion's League from a number of people. I can probably watch MLS and Mexican games without a problem, and some EPL.

On an average weekend, I can get the following.

EPL (3 games Sky, 1 ESPN)
La Liga (4 games)
Bundesliga (2 games)
Serie A (2 games)
French League (1 game)
Dutch League (1 game)
Russian League (2 games - and it's started already !)

Champs League group stages are pretty dull, the knockout stage in Feb or so is pretty good.

I can recommend La Liga for watching Barca or RM, German league best for fan atmosphere and there are a lot of goals, Serie A is dull.

How can you not love the rigid, defensive Italian game? To be fair I find the stuff that goes in the backrooms in Italy much more fascinating. I remember using the Calciopoli and 'Lucky' Luciano Moggi to write an ethics paper at college that I got top marks for.

Tanglebones wrote:

Also tagging the thread; I need to figure out what football to watch, post World Cup. I've heard Champion's League from a number of people. I can probably watch MLS and Mexican games without a problem, and some EPL.

I'm in the same boat: trying to figure out what I can watch. I have the internet, and I'll soon have ESPN on my Xbox. Even though I know people aren't crazy about MLS, I might go up to a Rapids game sometime before the season ends.

Fiorentina has just bought Artur Boruc from Celtic. I wonder if that means that Sebastian Frey is going to Arsenal, we've been linked to him few times.

I've been able to see EPL, Serie A and Champions League on ESPN3 in the past. Where else can I find matches once the season starts back up? (I'm on the East Coast, USA).

Polliwog wrote:

I've been able to see EPL, Serie A and Champions League on ESPN3 in the past. Where else can I find matches once the season starts back up? (I'm on the East Coast, USA).

ESPN runs an early EPL game (usually Saturday AM). Fox Soccer Channel does a bunch of live EPL matches over the weekend, one or two Serie A, and a Saturday night MLS matchup. GolTV does Bundesliga, La Liga frontrunners, Colombia, Brazil, and the occasional match from Argentina.

Not entirely sure what the Spanish language channels do. One of the local ones carries Mexican league at 5pm.

maxox wrote:
93_confirmed wrote:

Can someone give me reasons why I should tune into MLS? I've always watched the WC, started watching the Premiere League and Series A games last year, but I look at MLS as some sort of minor, minor league. What, if anything, am I missing by not watching?

Outside of the four teams I listed MLS doesn't offer much for me (if the Miami or Tampa teams still existed I'd probably be able to watch those teams as well). Then again I only go out of my way to watch the the top four in La Liga and the top 10 in the EPL. Oddly I will watch any Mexican League game that pops on.

I'll watch any EPL and most La Liga. I wish I could get more Bundesliga, since apparently it's going crazy over there season after season. I try to keep track of the Red Bulls and the MLS, out of a sort of sense that I should support my domestic league and my local club, at least to some extent. I don't do a particularly good job though.

Oh, and David Silva is off to City. Somehow, I get the sense that he's going to be one of the very many foreigners disappointed with the manner in which Stoke will defend him, but I think the kid's good enough to cut it.

Prederick wrote:

Oh, and David Silva is off to City. Somehow, I get the sense that he's going to be one of the very many foreigners disappointed with the manner in which Stoke will defend him, but I think the kid's good enough to cut it.

We'll just tell him to think of them as Oviedo, he'll know the score from that point.

Seb Frey would be a great keeper for Arsenal, he's been a mainstay of my CM/FM teams for years and I've never really understood why he's not been snaffled up IRL.

'Players linked with City by their clubs or agents' count - 53 at the moment. Of those, about 4 are genuine, so look for actual bids on the following

Kolarov (Lazio) - 18m of mad Balkan LB
Dzeko (Wolfsburg) - they want £30m, and as Volkswagen's factory team, are not exactly short of a bob or two.
Balotelli (Inter) - bit of a mad kid, but Mancini knows him
Ibrahimovic - only will work if Barca take that lazy Brazilian coward in part-ex.

There are rumours swirling round of a massive deal that isn't even on the grid yet.....we'll see.

Prozac - if you ever want a chapter or more of analysis on Italian football scandals, you could look for a book by a guy called John Boot, entitled 'Calcio'. As an accountant, I read about the scam called 'plus-valenze' and didn't know whether to be in awe or disgusted...it was Enron-esque.

And for fans of humour, Sir Alex has apparently 're-affirmed Man U's interest in Philip Lahm'. Much in the same way that I 're-affirm my interest in Audrey Tatou' perhaps, or 're-affirm my interest' in the Ferrari that's in the window of the showroom I pass on my way into work.

davet010 wrote:

And for fans of humour, Sir Alex has apparently 're-affirmed Man U's interest in Philip Lahm'. Much in the same way that I 're-affirm my interest in Audrey Tatou' ...

Well I saw a report that said Lahm got married yesterday so maybe you're on to something about SAF.

The report was about Michael Ballack claiming that he is still the captain of Germany and if Lahm thought any differently he could talk to the German coach (and how inconsiderate he said it on Lahm's wedding day of which they showed video).

Given Ballack's personality, I'm surprised he didn't add something at the end like '....oh, and Philip, yer new missus is sh*t in bed'.

davet010 wrote:

Champs League group stages are pretty dull, the knockout stage in Feb or so is pretty good.

No, they're not. They usually have great games.

Yeah, maybe that explains why attendances are pitiful and some teams opt to play their games at other stadia.

What are you talking about? Does that happen in the UK?

(All) Champions League's games are amonst the ones with the highest attendances in the season as far as I know.

Capello is (surprise, surprise) ANGRY, this time over "leaked" Capello Indexes. Joe Cole is ranked lowest among outfield players (every minute that he didn't play though he was getting better and better, though), SWP has surprisingly decent rating and best player is Jermaine Defoe.
Meanwhile rumours are circulating that Frey is indeed going to Arsenal am they've bought Boruc to be number one. Which makes sense because he's a really good 'keeper most of time and I doubt they would want to pay over 3 million for bench warmer.

Oh, and Barca is backing down from Fabregas deal... something that pretty much everyone knew was going to happen from the day when Arsenal released their statement. Basically for per a month they were just making despicable c*nts from themselves by tapping up the player they couldn't afford and having been already turned down.

slazev wrote:

What are you talking about? Does that happen in the UK?

(All) Champions League's games are amonst the ones with the highest attendances in the season as far as I know.

Juventus did it one year - they did a 'tour' with their group games and played their home fixtures all over Italy. I can't remember whether that was the same season when they had an attendance of 1,000 (and yes, I do mean 1,000) for one game.

The only reason most of the Man U fans with whom I am unfortunately acquainted go to the group games is that this ensures they have the necessary points to acquire tickets for the knockout stages. CL group games are, apparently, the only MU games where some go on open sale - I guess the attraction of playing some central European no-marks fades after a while.

It's good though - just shows that French idiot and his Swiss master what a sh*tty idea a full European League would be, particularly if UEFA run it, after the sprawling tedious monstrosity that the UEFA Cup has become.

Whoever is designing some of this year's kits is making of with thousands of ill-gotten dollars.
IMAGE(http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/chelsea-10-11-away-adidas-football-kit.jpg)
Eurgh.

IMAGE(http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/newcastle-united-10-11-adidas-home-kit-3.jpg)
Sweet lord no.

IMAGE(http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/new_home_kit_637a.jpg)
Ruined by the sponsor's logo.

IMAGE(http://www.footballshirtculture.com/images/manchester-united-nike-10-11-home-kit.jpg)
Apparently, it's 1984 all over again.

IMAGE(http://www.designfootball.com/images/stories/liverpool-10-11-adidas-third-kit.jpg)
No.

IMAGE(http://www.footballshirtculture.com/images/Celtic-away-10-11-nike-shirt.jpg)
AIIIIIGH.

At least Wisla Krakow had the good sense to 1.) Keep it simple 2.) Put the kits on some girls.
IMAGE(http://www.footballshirtculture.com/images/wisla_1011_adidas_home_3.jpg)

Prederick wrote:

IMAGE(http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/newcastle-united-10-11-adidas-home-kit-3.jpg)
Sweet lord no.

It's better than the yellow away kit Newcastle had last year. That was dreadful.

That's the keeper. Their away kit for this year is a rather nondescript blue. It'll be changed next year when they go back down.

That Tottenham kit looks like a complete joke, still at least it's consistent with the club and their spiv manager.

Yikes, my local team!

Are all the boobs in Poland that angular/pointy?

I keep up with EPL but the only league I try hard to watch and follow with much dedication is the Bundesliga. I love the fact that in the past 43 years there have been something like 21 different league winners. That makes it much more exciting to me than England or Spain's leagues.

maxox wrote:
Polliwog wrote:

I've been able to see EPL, Serie A and Champions League on ESPN3 in the past. Where else can I find matches once the season starts back up? (I'm on the East Coast, USA).

ESPN runs an early EPL game (usually Saturday AM). Fox Soccer Channel does a bunch of live EPL matches over the weekend, one or two Serie A, and a Saturday night MLS matchup. GolTV does Bundesliga, La Liga frontrunners, Colombia, Brazil, and the occasional match from Argentina.

Not entirely sure what the Spanish language channels do. One of the local ones carries Mexican league at 5pm.

Thanks! There have been a few matches on the past few days; European teams playing MLS teams in friendlies.

Prederick wrote:

Are all the boobs in Poland that angular/pointy?

Give me a couple of days to research that for you.

BTW: on a serious note, as you can see in the background, they're working on that Wisla stadium: in two years they've gone from this to this and most of other Polish stadia are also looking good at this point. We're definitely going to be ready for 2012. Ukrainians are supposed to have same number of locations and host same number of games while they're evidently behind the schedule and it would be just easier to give it back to us (e.g. stadium in Kraków you're looking at is just a *backup*, not a primary location).
edit: As for primary locations they've got one ready stadium:
http://stadiony.net/buildings/pol/st...
and building other three from the scratch. I had a look just now and every one of them looks nice. Capacities will range from 42k to 55k.

Martin Jol is a new Fulham manager. Good choice, although they could have gone for Sven. He's a pro, not some journeyman like Jol who looks for highest bidder.

Pages