*Release* Rift Defiant Guild Membership and Coordination

I just need to find time to play!

Goodie... got my new internet today. May take me a day or two to get it all connected and running. I'll see you guys soon.

Dramatic Marlin wrote:

GWJ Forum Name: Dramatic Marlin Warrior: Sabhanana

The Marlin Returns.

Dramatic Marlin wrote:

I just need to find time to play!

You and me both.

Sweet. Managed to get into the game this morning. No sound yet (speakers not hooked up yet). And have to make sure not to extend my legs, as that seems to get in the way of my wireless internet, but beyond that it's all good!

Looking to join up with GWJ on rift. Been a goodjer for a long while, yet i lurk more often then post.
Character name : MissFortune

Should i be messaging anyone in particular in game for a hopeful invite?

0Johnny0 wrote:

Looking to join up with GWJ on rift. Been a goodjer for a long while, yet i lurk more often then post.
Character name : MissFortune

Should i be messaging anyone in particular in game for a hopeful invite?

Just do a '/who gwj' and send a tell to whoever pops up. They should be able to invite or point you to someone who can.

also, upon entering the game type /join gwjalliance and ask for anyone in gwj for an invite

Rainsmercy wrote:

also, upon entering the game type /join gwjalliance and ask for anyone in gwj for an invite

This is your best option.

GWJ Forum Name: Shoal07 Mage: Shoal

Morning all!

As they say, longtime listener (especially to the Conference Call!) and reader, first-time poster here. I've been fairly active at Qt3 and OO through the years, but the server the guild associated with those sites rolled on is desperately underpopulated. I rerolled two weeks ago on Shatterbone/Defiant, and have been thrilled to notice each night that there are a lot of Goodjers playing. I'd love to join the guild, if that's possible! Rift has its hooks in me deeply, and really want to see the endgame here, and would love to do so with a guild of smart and mature folks like the GWJ crew.

triggercut wrote:

Morning all!

As they say, longtime listener (especially to the Conference Call!) and reader, first-time poster here. I've been fairly active at Qt3 and OO through the years, but the server the guild associated with those sites rolled on is desperately underpopulated. I rerolled two weeks ago on Shatterbone/Defiant, and have been thrilled to notice each night that there are a lot of Goodjers playing. I'd love to join the guild, if that's possible! Rift has its hooks in me deeply, and really want to see the endgame here, and would love to do so with a guild of smart and mature folks like the GWJ crew.

Welcome. Join gwjalliance in chat and than request an invite. Most members have invite privileges. I should be on periodically throughout the day as Oerth or Orukai.

first time poster here or anywhere for that matter. ive been playin rift since the betas and i just hit 50 yesterday and happened to be in a dungeon run with 4 others from GWJ. i asked about joining the guild and they directed me to here so here i am!
my last guild was kinda a bust so im really lookin for a guild that has more than 3-4 people online during "peak" hours.
if there is anyone in particular i need to ask about joinin up or anything i need to do, pls let me know.

...and thats that.

GWJ Forum Name: Jovoide, Mage:Jovoide

First time poster at GWJ, but I've been moderately active at OO (and Gonegold before), Qt3, and Gamingtrend.

I'm following breadcrumbs dropped by triggercut. Like triggercut, I'm finding that Rift practically requires a high population server. I rolled a few characters on Shatterbone to test the waters, and I've found that Shatterbone has that "alive feeling" that was prevalent on all servers for the first few weeks after release.

I'd like to join the GWJ guild! I'll give a shout out on the gwjalliance chat channel to request an invite.

I currently have two characters on the server:
GWJ Forum Name: RLMullen, Mage: Zundarr, Warrior: Bamdarr

The best way to get an invite is to join the gwjalliance channel, you can do that by typing /join gwjalliance and then ask for a guild invite there. We typically have several officers on who can invite!

I'll be joining today after setting everything up and checkin out what character I wanna be. I'll check throughout day.

characters made currently in rift:
Pinklestien:mage
Flapjack:rogue
Highknee:warrior
Greenthumb:Cleric
Obiwancanblowme:bank

taking bets on how long I can keep the name Obiwancanblowme....

Hi there folks. Familiar tale here. I think I have gotten as much of of WoW Cataclysm as I am going to get. Not much success on my end getting GWJer arena teams together.

So I have been seeing all of this stuff on Rift and wanted to ask some questions.
For me MMO end game is about PVP combat. What is the PVP scene like in Rift. Also, what is it like in the GWJ guild? How is the character leveling in Rift as far as getting to end game, also gear? Is there a head to head, small team, skirmish? I see that Rift largely hangs its hat on world PVP, looks like WAR in a way to me.

There really isn't any arena-style mode in Rift if that's what you're looking for. However, there are "warfronts" which are badly disguised riffs on WoW's battlegrounds. There's rough analogies for WSG and AB. But there's another one that's basically a combination of capture the flag and king of the hill/VIP mode which is pretty unique, and Port Scion which is kinda like AV in the sense that there's a PvE component.

The levelling is fairly quick and painless. Putting in a hour or two a night will see you get to 50 in maybe a month, month and a half.

KingGorilla wrote:

Hi there folks. Familiar tale here. I think I have gotten as much of of WoW Cataclysm as I am going to get. Not much success on my end getting GWJer arena teams together.

So I have been seeing all of this stuff on Rift and wanted to ask some questions.
For me MMO end game is about PVP combat. What is the PVP scene like in Rift. Also, what is it like in the GWJ guild? How is the character leveling in Rift as far as getting to end game, also gear? Is there a head to head, small team, skirmish? I see that Rift largely hangs its hat on world PVP, looks like WAR in a way to me.

Yup, there isn't really any RvR content like WAR in the game yet. The devs have hinted at it so its possible sometime in the indefinite future.

There are however a lot of folks in the GWJ guild who PvP in the warfronts (bg's). There are even guild quests that can only be accomplished through PvP which we have no problem knocking out quickly.

As for gear, its a pretty deep system with faction PvP gear from levels 10-49 then 6 tiers of PvP rank gear after you hit 50.

Also, there are dedicated PvP souls you can equip for your PvP and the PvE souls also have abilities (fear, snare, etc.) that are clearly orientated to PvP.

And how about GWJer involvement? I am getting kind of lonely only having 1 and a half people to play with most of the time in WoW.

Hi, All. On and off forum lurker here. New to Rift, but have been playing MMOs for a while (in between work, school, family, etc.) and I'm looking forward to playing with you all. I'm an unashamed altoholic, so feel free to suggest a class/build you might need.

For now:
GWJ Forum Name: Freud Mage: Freud

We sometimes have PvP teams going into the warfronts, but it's not a nightly thing. Probably more like 2-3 times a week? We have experts running pretty much every day these days and we usually have a couple of pickup dungeon groups as well. So we're more active on the PvE end.

From my observation, Rift is first and formost a PvE game. There is PvP, but I've seen better implementations. People have already explained the various types of PvP in the game above me, so I won't go over them again. And while it is there, the focus, to me, clearly appears to be on PvE questing to 50, then Experts to get gear, and eventually Raids once you are geared up.

The PvP definately isn't a hack-job, it's tiered, has unique rewards, quests, and gear, I just haven't found it compelling. I want to get to 50 and gear up to Raid. So my opinion should be considered with that bias.

Joined today as Threnody, and I'll be playing a bard :)!

Tobliz wrote:

However, there are "warfronts" which are badly disguised riffs on WoW's battlegrounds. There's rough analogies for WSG and AB. But there's another one that's basically a combination of capture the flag and king of the hill/VIP mode which is pretty unique, and Port Scion which is kinda like AV in the sense that there's a PvE component.

This gave me a sad.

Saying they are badly disguised riffs seems both inaccurate and a disservice to the game. CTF and domination maps have existed in video games long before there was such a thing as WoW, and they have always followed the basic model. Codex doesn't actually take its inspiration from AB. It's a Nordenwatch layout with the addition of a 4th control point at the vault. Black Garden has a very close analog in Morkaine Temple and so isn't actually all that unique. I would say the only map that strikes me as "let's copy WoW" is Port Scion.

I think that all of the warfronts in RIFT are intelligent and polished iterations on good ideas that have been around for a long time, none of which actually "belong" to a particular game.

Well maybe it's more accurate to say that Codex is a mix of AB and Nordenwatch (It's AB with Codex being more valuable and minus AB's blacksmith), CTF is CTF, you're right about that.

But the general point is that he was coming from the perspective of a WoW player so I gave him the description of each warfront from the angle of the battlegrounds.

Not everyone PVPs but there's a minority of us who are usually cracking guardian skulls every night.

I'm usually always up for running war fronts (prestiege rank 3 currently) and I know tyagaraja is regularly on too.

I was doing a few warfronts tonight, won a few, but then the trolls started playing and it was horrible. If i'm on I'm always down for a pvp group!

GWJ Forum Name: ndh Cleric: Muddle Rogue: Addle

Unfortunately, I'm on a different server with a bunch of real-lifers playing on the guardian side. So if I kill you in my PvP quest, just know I do it with lots of love.