*Release* Rift Catch-All - if it isnt for any of the other threads - it goes here

Nope =)

You can get expansion for 30 on greenman.

Loving my tiny house in my own personal Dimension. Pretty amazing to be able to have a house on the beach at level 26 with 9 decorations for less than 4g. Plus you can place, rotate and scale any piece as well as duplicate them. Will be a fantastic gold and time sink for the game.

How are the new souls?

Jaedor wrote:

Loving my tiny house in my own personal Dimension. Pretty amazing to be able to have a house on the beach at level 26 with 9 decorations for less than 4g. Plus you can place, rotate and scale any piece as well as duplicate them. Will be a fantastic gold and time sink for the game.

Does anyone else ever see your home, or is it strictly for your own enjoyment?

One of the things I enjoyed doing in Everquest 2 and LOTRO was going into people's homes who had them set as available to visit, and seeing how they had decorated everything.

You can visit houses by friends list, guild, or random list. You also have the option to "like" them and visit the most liked houses.

fangblackbone wrote:

How are the new souls?

I've only played a tempest. I'm digging it quite abit with my beastmaster mix.

Yeah I think I am least interested in the battle mage soul since mages (necro/chloro/warlock) seem pretty nice now.

The tempest looks really nice, the defiler lore sounds awesome and the tactician seems an interesting try to make a main healer rogue.

I am curious as to why rogues would choose a saboteur if the tactician is up to snuff on aoe damage (and has healing)

I'm kind of thinking of switching from LOTRO to RIFT. Anyone willing/able to give me a run-down on how they compare?

I'm going to catch flak for this, but I'm going to say it anyway having played all three games:

Rift is very much like WoW, but with more pseudo-dynamic events and greater character build customization (in fact, arguably even better character build customization than WoW has ever had).

LotRO feels more like a game about exploration than either Rift or WoW, but it's hard to really say it's much different otherwise.

Personally, I like all three games. WoW and Rift for pretty much the same reasons, and LotRO for providing a great rendition of Middle-Earth to explore in.

So if you've played WoW (I don't recall if you have) then you have a pretty good idea of what to expect from Rift. If you haven't, then basically think of Rift as being a very similar type of MMO, only it's far more focused on the gameplay while LotRO is more focused on atmosphere and story.

I played WoW long enough to get intimidated and stop playing WoW. Since I don't really care about the story in LOTRO, maybe it'd be a good switch for me to make. I find RIFT's setting way more interesting.

LobsterMobster wrote:

I'm kind of thinking of switching from LOTRO to RIFT. Anyone willing/able to give me a run-down on how they compare?

Farscry wrote:

I'm going to catch flak for this, but I'm going to say it anyway having played all three games:

Rift is very much like WoW, but with more pseudo-dynamic events and greater character build customization (in fact, arguably even better character build customization than WoW has ever had).

LotRO feels more like a game about exploration than either Rift or WoW, but it's hard to really say it's much different otherwise.

Personally, I like all three games. WoW and Rift for pretty much the same reasons, and LotRO for providing a great rendition of Middle-Earth to explore in.

So if you've played WoW (I don't recall if you have) then you have a pretty good idea of what to expect from Rift. If you haven't, then basically think of Rift as being a very similar type of MMO, only it's far more focused on the gameplay while LotRO is more focused on atmosphere and story.

I agree with Farscry's assessments of the three games. I'm also subbed to all three at the moment but Rift has my attention.

I consider RIFT to be more like WAR if they hadn't dropped development on everything to implement round-robin and tacked on reward systems for RvR.

I can't verify the RvR has as much depth in RIFT as in WAR, but it is capable (how popular it is I don't know) and it has scenarios on par with WAR (or even better since any "class" can spec for ranged damage and/or devastating aoe) And the pve has many dungeons and raids... oh and 2 flavors of dynamic events (rifts and instant adventure)

RIFT is free up to level 20. And that is a lot of content when you include the 1000's of different class combos. Be warned of skill bar spam and the confusion that lies therein. By level 10 you have so many abilities and %25 of them overlap so there is a lead time. To address some of this, RIFT has recommended builds that you can follow.

LobsterMobster wrote:

I played WoW long enough to get intimidated and stop playing WoW.

Since you like the setting for Rift (which I find interesting too, and they have a nice, solid variety of stuff in the game), I say go for it.

If you don't mind me asking, what about WoW became intimidating to you? I find WoW and Rift to be roughly on par in terms of user-friendliness, which is a solid accomplishment for Trion given that Rift is the meatier game right now in terms of mechanics and build variety. It's also impressively content-heavy especially with the expansion.

fangblackbone wrote:

RIFT is free up to level 20. And that is a lot of content when you include the 1000's of different class combos. Be warned of skill bar spam and the confusion that lies therein. By level 10 you have so many abilities and %25 of them overlap so there is a lead time. To address some of this, RIFT has recommended builds that you can follow.

When I was playing, I found that once you got a good idea of where you wanted to put your Soul points and stuff, it was actually ok for me to simply ignore some of the abilities I had access to, because they were superfluous for the character I was building.

It was really odd at first to go through my skill bar spam and trim out the excess, because I thought I had to be doing something wrong. But really, that's the strength of Rift's system, at least for the casual/fun guys (I never got into raiding or the "end-game" so can't speak to that). You build your character to fit the playstyle you like through your soul points, and use the abilities that make sense to how you plan to play it rather than feeling like you have to cram EVERYTHING onto your active ability bar(s).

And I agree that it definitely had some of that WAR feel to it, though not quite as much in terms of RvR.

You know something I find interesting? For all of RIFT's class customization, there are still some classes unique to WAR that I really loved. In some cases you can get the substance (skills) but can't match the style. And in others it is reversed where for all of the available skill variation, they overlooked a few unique abilities.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong on this:

The archmage, and engineer seem to be examples of the latter. The engineer/magus more so in that there aren't turrets or stationary pets or traps in RIFT. There also seems to be little or no delayed multi-hit damage.

The archmage, well the bard has channeled damage but lacks the variety of heals over time in any of its companion souls. The chloromancer has all the HoTs and life tap HoTs but mages don't have channeled damage.

Classes like the marauder and warrior priest are examples of the former. You can recreate them in each archetype but they will still look like your generic cleric, warrior, etc. Warrior priests and marauders are anything but generic. Well I guess that is one of the strong points of WAR is that all the classes have strong iconic looks from the miniatures.

If they just added things like channeled damage and/or turrets to a couple of the souls, I would love to recreate my archmage and then have the option to have a pet or turret =)

edit: well it looks like the new rogue soul tactician has "turrets" as well as more heals so there you have it. I can make my archmage with turrets now =)

Farscry wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, what about WoW became intimidating to you?

Well, the guy who introduced me to it (I think it was DevilStick) gave me a grand tour to each of the major cities. It gave me a real sense of how massive the world was, and how much variation it contained... and I did not retain ANY of it. My only takeaway was that it's going to take me months to get a good grasp on this game, and I wasn't really up to the task.

That said, I wasn't too broken up over not getting into WoW (which means please, guys, don't try to convert me).

LobsterMobster wrote:
Farscry wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, what about WoW became intimidating to you?

Well, the guy who introduced me to it (I think it was DevilStick) gave me a grand tour to each of the major cities. It gave me a real sense of how massive the world was, and how much variation it contained... and I did not retain ANY of it. My only takeaway was that it's going to take me months to get a good grasp on this game, and I wasn't really up to the task.

That said, I wasn't too broken up over not getting into WoW (which means please, guys, don't try to convert me).

No worries, main reason I asked is because I figured it would help in being able to give you honest feedback on whether Rift would be appealing to you or not.

I think it will, if you approach it the "right" way for you. Just take it as it comes, ignore the implications of the bigger world and the occasional content overflow, and it'll be fine. For example, ignore anyone telling you to hurry up and get your ass to your faction's "capitol city." There's no rush, really, unless there's something specific you want to do there like use the auction house. Otherwise you should naturally get there after you get some levels and questing under your belt, and by then you'll be familiar enough with the basic systems that you can safely just stick with that.

I'll warn you in advance though, the capitol cities have so many vendors/quests/trainers/etc that the first time you go to one of them, it'll feel a bit overwhelming. Took me a while to get a handle on what I wanted to pay attention to and to just filter everything else out.

Think I'm going to give the free trial a go. Last time I played, RIFT was in beta.

RIFT encourages EQ style priority macros. Most of the vast number of attacks you'll get have cooldowns, so stacking them all in a prioritized list can turn most classes into a single macro plus 4-6 other buttons. Makes it far easier to handle.

I merrily skip from one to another month by month it seems, both LotRO and Rift have their benefits, as does GW2. Don't feel bad about moving from one to another, there's never anything stopping anyone going back, forward .... through

LobsterMobster wrote:

I'm kind of thinking of switching from LOTRO to RIFT. Anyone willing/able to give me a run-down on how they compare?

I played LOTRO casually, and I think Rift is much simpler to play than LOTRO. The skill systems are simpler, and the game world is much less spread out. The designers include a set of prebuilds if you don't want to design your own. The basic gameplay is about the same. Get quest, run to quest area, kill stuff and try not to die. Turn in quest, watch level bar go up, sell loot, upgrade weapons. Add more abilities. Get quest, run to quest area, kill stuff, etc.

Crafting is about the same, but like LOTRO, you can focus on resource collection to earn money and only have to craft if you want to. Graphically, there's not even a comparison- RIFT is a generation or two beyond LOTRO.

Rift moves very quickly for the first 20 levels in the trial. Leveling then slows down, but it's not awfully slow even then. I got my main to level 42 or so in maybe 60 hours total.

Don't forget the dynamic rifts and the instant adventure (queueable dynamic zones/events)

You know what? I forgot that LOTRO has scenarios which would seem like instant adventures.

I enjoy LOTRO, but next to Rift it seems rather sedate. Whether its a rift opening over a quest zone or invasion forces patrolling the roads, the world is more dynamic and mutable.

LOTRO zones are also really big. You can waste a lot of time just riding back and forth from a quest area to the local town or inn (at least in the early zones that I played in). Rift zones seemed much more compact. In fact, sometimes they were too compact because they were just packing mobs into small areas, and it could be hard to make it through some areas without aggroing mobs I had no need to fight.

Still having a blast with Rift dimensions. Built four so far for self and alts, two more for guildies and I have a larger project in the works. Fabulous gold and time sink, tons of fun shard hopping to see what others have done, met lots of great folks who are also enjoying it. Main is only 50 because I'm sidetracked but there's no pressure to level up.

Just announced Rift is going 100% free to play in June.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/05...

Coincidentally enough, on the same day my subscription is due to lapse. Their model sounds decent as well:

All of our content is available completely for free: every quest, every chronicle, every dungeon, every continent, every level, and every raid. You can level to 60 without spending a dime. You can earn the best gear in the game without giving us a credit card. No tricks; no traps.

The RIFT Store will have a variety of boosts available to increase your XP gain or token gain -- but these are just accelerations of things you can already earn. We will also be offering mounts, costumes, treasure boxes, storage space, more role slots, more wardrobe slots, and a slew of services.

We will also have gear for sale. Our guidelines for gear on the store are generally as follows: The best gear in the game must be earned and high-level items on the store must also be available to be earned in-game.

Interesting that this happens during E3 and we're expecting a possible ArcheAge announcement then and they've already been talking about going F2P in Korea.

I also like that if you already bought the game you get more character slots and bags.
I may just have to reinstall and try it again. I did really like my Rogue Assassin,.