2011 Team Fortress 2 Tournament, this time with ACTUAL medals!

I'm in.

Intermediate with <200 hours of play time but none recently.
Classes: Pyro, Medic, Heavy
Hats: one found + some promotional ones
Steam Link: see sig

There has to be another team name like Ann Frank's Midnight Attic Rave (I know I'm getting it wrong, but the gist is there).

To set the record straight, your ranking is directly related to what I think about you. This might have to do with game skill, it might not.

Isn't Swiftwater an official map now?

Grubber788 wrote:

I'm in.

Intermediate with <200 hours of play time but none recently.
Classes: Pyro, Medic, Heavy
Hats: one found + some promotional ones
Steam Link: see sig

When signing up, don't forget to add your name to the list here, but still make sure to post in the thread.
Nevin73 wrote:

There has to be another team name like Ann Frank's Midnight Attic Rave (I know I'm getting it wrong, but the gist is there).

Bill Clinton's Oval Office Cigar Soiree?

Psych wrote:

To set the record straight, your ranking is directly related to what I think about you. This might have to do with game skill, it might not.

Oh sh*t.

Lars wrote:
Psych wrote:

To set the record straight, your ranking is directly related to what I think about you. This might have to do with game skill, it might not.

Oh sh*t.

That's right.

On the subject of maps, Captains usually decide this. Last time around we went for 1 of each type (CP, KOTH, PL & CTF).

Recently Viaduct has been officially added to the "Pro" leagues, too, and it seems pretty interesting how they handle it on 6v6:
http://cdn1.ustream.tv/swf/4/viewer....

I don't know if link works but if it does it starts aroudn 30 minutes in

Badwater is also the most played PL map, but PL maps aren't much played in Pro leagues because 6v6 is just weird for it, but they're good with 12v12, here's a 9v9:

http://www.extelevision.com/extv-val...

General Crespin wrote:

The Fairy Princesses shall rise again! All shall weep at our coming. :twisted:

"Man, these guys again?? :("

DanyBoy wrote:

Isn't Swiftwater an official map now?

Grubber788 wrote:

I'm in.

Intermediate with <200 hours of play time but none recently.
Classes: Pyro, Medic, Heavy
Hats: one found + some promotional ones
Steam Link: see sig

When signing up, don't forget to add your name to the list here, but still make sure to post in the thread.

I wasn't told there would be reading!

cyrax wrote:
Minarchist wrote:

Norfair, Pants and Latrine at Intermediate?

Right, don't be modest, bitches! RTMFM

><

Yeah, I was a little confused by the category labels. On a four point scale I'd put myself as a 3 but wouldn't label myself as an "expert". I think I'm pretty good but have never achieved the notoriety that some other members of the community have. I'm not usually at the top of the scoreboards and I bounce around between classes a lot leading to some uneven play. I think the Expert category is there to let captains know which players will have the biggest impact on helping a team win and I probably don't fit that description. Over 9000 is obviously there mostly for players like ukick and Mex who should not be on the same team for any reason.

Latrine wrote:

Over 9000 is obviously there mostly for players like ukick and Mex who should not be on the same team for any reason.

But I like being on Mex's team Atleast when he's a medic anyways. If he's not a medic, he can play on the other team and I will hunt him down with my knife.

Chumpy_McChump wrote:
General Crespin wrote:

The Fairy Princesses shall rise again! All shall weep at our coming. :twisted:

"Man, these guys again?? :("

Oh god. No one made me a captain again, did they? I don't even think I've played since the last tournament.

THUNDERCLAN!

I hate Double Cross.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

THUNDERCLAN!

I hate Double Cross.

Then that's one vote for Doublecross.

D:

Quintin_Stone wrote:

D:

Shrinkage Quintin?

ukickmydog wrote:
Latrine wrote:

Over 9000 is obviously there mostly for players like ukick and Mex who should not be on the same team for any reason.

But I like being on Mex's team Atleast when he's a medic anyways. If he's not a medic, he can play on the other team and I will hunt him down with my knife.

Yea I hate it when my pocket medic defects to the other team.

Latrine wrote:
cyrax wrote:
Minarchist wrote:

Norfair, Pants and Latrine at Intermediate?

Right, don't be modest, bitches! RTMFM

><

Yeah, I was a little confused by the category labels. On a four point scale I'd put myself as a 3 but wouldn't label myself as an "expert". I think I'm pretty good but have never achieved the notoriety that some other members of the community have. I'm not usually at the top of the scoreboards and I bounce around between classes a lot leading to some uneven play. I think the Expert category is there to let captains know which players will have the biggest impact on helping a team win and I probably don't fit that description. Over 9000 is obviously there mostly for players like ukick and Mex who should not be on the same team for any reason.

This was my reasoning as well.

I like Homer's suggestion of banning pyros but only if I end up playing spy.

ukickmydog wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

D:

Shrinkage Quintin?

It's not a penis!!

Quintin_Stone wrote:

It's not a penis!!

That's what she said?

Thoughts on class limits? Not to pick on Payload maps, but 2-3 heavy medic combos pushing the cart is a tough strategy to beat. Then it's just a race to see who can do it faster. Would also address turtling issues if engies were limited on CTF maps.

I didn't play in the last tournament so I don't know how it works but are class limits easy to enforce? What about switching classes mid round? Is that legal? For example switching to engineer to knock a sapper off the teleporter entrance.

I dunno we talked about limiting engies to 2 last time. But there's a counter for everything. If one team goes too heavy on a class you go heavy and run over them. Balance is in the best interest of both teams.

Lately heavy medics have been hard to over come as of late.

If I recall the tournament mode has a way to enforce class limits.

Even turtles can be broken with three medics, two demos and a pyro or two (to counter-poof). It's just coordinating things that can get difficult. Trying to convince 2/3 of your team to switch classes for a specific purpose can be somewhat tricky in Individual Effort Fortress 2.

We can enforce class limits at the server level (which prevents someone going third-engy "just for a second" to knock off a sapper at the entrance).

For the Summer Tourney, after discussion and debate, the decision was that class balance is to large extent self-correcting, and that we didn't need to set class limits.

That doesn't mean that there's no argument to be made in favor of them for this one - just passing along perspective about how things worked last time.

I want to say we used the honor system last summer in terms of not too many engineers.

There's class limits in Pro Leagues but that's because there's only 6 players on a team - the demoman is very strong in this case so they only allow 1, and scouts are also very powerful, but their effectiveness goes way down when you have a full team of 12...

Count me in. I added my info to the form.