2011 Team Fortress 2 Tournament, this time with ACTUAL medals!

I'm in.

Count me in! I had a blast last time.

Mark me down.

Present!

I like Dimmer's plan, but one of the first things we need are a set of dates.

I can vouch for Mex being a scrub.

Dimmerswitch wrote:

Re-reading the Summer Tourney thread, one of the suggestions I rather like for selection boiled down to:

* Select howevermany captains are needed
* Captains take turns drafting players to teams
* Teams are then randomly assigned to captains (so they have a vested interest in trying to create balanced teams)

I'm probably in - work has decided to explode on me (and is likely to be on fire for the next six weeks), so depending on when we're looking to start I may have to pass. :(

I am leaning heavily in favor of these ideas. Are people willing to put their name in for captaincy, or am I just going to decide? Remember people, I abuse power.

sounds like fun to me. if it's not for awhile that's best it'll give me time to improve.

Me me me.

I am in!

I'd be in again, though I'll skip captaining this time, as my schedule turned that into an epic failure last time around.

I want in!

Psych wrote:
Dimmerswitch wrote:

Re-reading the Summer Tourney thread, one of the suggestions I rather like for selection boiled down to:

* Select howevermany captains are needed
* Captains take turns drafting players to teams
* Teams are then randomly assigned to captains (so they have a vested interest in trying to create balanced teams)

I'm probably in - work has decided to explode on me (and is likely to be on fire for the next six weeks), so depending on when we're looking to start I may have to pass. :(

I am leaning heavily in favor of these ideas. Are people willing to put their name in for captaincy, or am I just going to decide? Remember people, I abuse power.

I don't understand how this is any better than what mex did. There's no point to having all the captains pick a team that they don't get to keep. May as well have one person do it again if we're going that route.

I want to play. Although I have had connection issues lately during peak hours. Gonna start yelling at my ISP soon.

I'll come out of semi-retirement to play.

ukickmydog wrote:
Psych wrote:
Dimmerswitch wrote:

Re-reading the Summer Tourney thread, one of the suggestions I rather like for selection boiled down to:

* Select howevermany captains are needed
* Captains take turns drafting players to teams
* Teams are then randomly assigned to captains (so they have a vested interest in trying to create balanced teams)

I'm probably in - work has decided to explode on me (and is likely to be on fire for the next six weeks), so depending on when we're looking to start I may have to pass. :(

I am leaning heavily in favor of these ideas. Are people willing to put their name in for captaincy, or am I just going to decide? Remember people, I abuse power.

I don't understand how this is any better than what mex did. There's no point to having all the captains pick a team that they don't get to keep. May as well have one person do it again if we're going that route.

Well it's random... so you'll have a 1/6 chance of keeping your team.

ukickmydog wrote:

I don't understand how this is any better than what mex did. There's no point to having all the captains pick a team that they don't get to keep. May as well have one person do it again if we're going that route.

I think the biggest point behind this would be less people bitching directly at me. Also, less work for me! This strategy is sounding better and better!

The theory behind it, as I see it, is to have multiple people working on dividing up what people we have as evenly as possible. The idea behind not knowing which team will be yours ensures that each person will want to make every team as good as possible. I am very much in favor of the draft, but am not 100% behind the random team draft idea. If you would like to convince me one way or the other I enjoy pizza, beer and people giving me things. WINK.

In all seriousness, I am thinking about two weeks of sign ups before we start forming the teams, so there is some time to finalize all this. Things like team size, number of captains needed and brackets won't really be determined until I get a better idea of how many people are interested.

In.

In. Definitely in.

I am in. although my game has been acting rather strange lately

Count me in.

I'm in.

I'm in, I'd looove to be part of super-awesome team J5 again, but I guess a little shake-up will benefit all.

In.

I'm interested, just wondering what the time commitment would be. How often were the matches in the last tournament and when were they played?

Is it too late for me to get in on this action too?

Maggots!

I mean, IN!

I vote in favor of the draft, captains drafting their own teams. Inevitably some teams are going to come out looking a little stronger than others. Folks just need to remember that this is all in good fun and to keep their big boy pants on.

I think we should go for larger teams even if that means fewer total teams.

Going the highlander route seems intriguing, any interest there?

Asterith, we played one game a week. The time varied depending on the schedules of the players involved. Usually were in the range of 9-11pm EST. Some teams practiced as well during the week.

If I join this tournament, will I be able to kill mannes and/or wear stylish accouterments?

If so, I'm in.

MOUSE1 to fire, right?

MyBrainHz wrote:

If I join this tournament, will I be able to kill mannes and/or wear stylish accouterments?

If so, I'm in.

MOUSE1 to fire, right?

No, left mouse button fires.

Count me in, please.

I'm in with my Dapper Topper! But like absurddoctor I probably won't be able to captain a team this time. We just bought a new house and are in the throes of cleaning and listing our current one, so I simply don't have the time to continue on. If he wants it, I pass on my mantle to FlamingPeasant.

I can be an alternate, but with the baby coming in approx six weeks I'm not at all sure what my availability will be.

I'm 100% against randomizing captains post-draft. If I were drafting, a significant factor would be how well I get along with the folks I draft. Given how important teamwork and communication are, similar play styles and communication are incredibly important to the cohesion of a team.
There were a number of folks I could have chosen for my second in command in the last tourney if I were looking at skill alone. How well I got along with my xo in-game was far more important than pure skill.
In my opinion, the point of drafting is to build a team which plays together well -- not just to smooth out talent levels as best as possible.