Risen 2 Dark Waters Catch-all

I am facing a slight quandary: Continue to play through Skyrim (on which I've invested ~60 hours but have yet to even begin the main quest) or buy this game, having enjoyed the first Risen immensely for its small-Euro-developer weirdness and strong old-school exploration mechanics?

Is this the sort of game where you can stumble into a hidden waterfall cave and grind down way over-levelled monsters for an hour?

Wakim wrote:

Anyone know where I can find a map of The Sword Coast? I think I'm going in circles half the time.

Unfortunately I can't remember - have you reached the inquisition colony yet (far south of the lookout tower)? Pretty sure I bought it from someone there.

Vector wrote:

I'm still waiting for a musket. I have a piece of one but nothing else.

I think that the (first?) chance of getting a musket is by

Spoiler:

Siding with the inquisition to capture the earth temple, but I sided with the natives instead so i'm not sure

.

Should I be eating the permanent plants or saving them for later? If I remember correctly, in Risen it was best to leave them and then brew super potions. I haven't put any points into voodoo, though. Not sure I will on this playthrough.

Was wondering that myself - I've not looked into the alchemy side of voodoo yet. For now I've just been recklessly eating them as I get them

One thing I wasn't expecting with the voodoo is for it to offer...alternative...solutions to certain quests in quite clever ways. Hopefully it keeps that up throughout the rest of the game.

4xis.black wrote:

Is this the sort of game where you can stumble into a hidden waterfall cave and grind down way over-levelled monsters for an hour?

You can definitely take some wrong turns into places that will result in a swift and painful case of the deads, and there are a LOT of little hidden nooks and crannies.

***

OK, I definitely found a potion that uses one of the permanent stat boost items (hero crown). I'm assuming that means I can probably pick up the recipe for it somewhere. It's not a VAST improvement over just eating the thing raw though, just +2 stat boosts instead of +1.

Going after the legendary artifacts is a safer bet - those things boost your stats like crazy.

stevenmack wrote:
Wakim wrote:

Anyone know where I can find a map of The Sword Coast? I think I'm going in circles half the time.

Unfortunately I can't remember - have you reached the inquisition colony yet (far south of the lookout tower)? Pretty sure I bought it from someone there.

Thanks, finally made it there and found the map lying on a table. Nice to have a clue where I'm going now.

stevenmack wrote:

I think that the (first?) chance of getting a musket is by

Spoiler:

Siding with the inquisition to capture the earth temple, but I sided with the natives instead so i'm not sure

.

When is the point of no return for doing quests on both sides? The commadant has warned me that I'm being watched and I have a dialogue option but I'm thinking I can do both sides quests until I get that option for either leader.

I like that the game has a similar choice early on as in Risen where you have to pick one faction. It's pretty clear how they will each benefit you (Guns or Voodoo). I am getting in to being a pirate too. It makes moral choices easier if you just look out for yourself and shipmates.

Stevenmack wrote:
Vector wrote:

Should I be eating the permanent plants or saving them for later? If I remember correctly, in Risen it was best to leave them and then brew super potions. I haven't put any points into voodoo, though. Not sure I will on this playthrough.

Was wondering that myself - I've not looked into the alchemy side of voodoo yet. For now I've just been recklessly eating them as I get them

***

OK, I definitely found a potion that uses one of the permanent stat boost items (hero crown). I'm assuming that means I can probably pick up the recipe for it somewhere. It's not a VAST improvement over just eating the thing raw though, just +2 stat boosts instead of +1.

Going after the legendary artifacts is a safer bet - those things boost your stats like crazy.

That's good. I remember the potions being significantly better in Risen. Something like +5 but it meant you had to carry them around. It was so tempting to just eat them. I'm glad it seems like I can eat them without worrying.

Wakim wrote:
stevenmack wrote:
Wakim wrote:

Anyone know where I can find a map of The Sword Coast? I think I'm going in circles half the time.

Unfortunately I can't remember - have you reached the inquisition colony yet (far south of the lookout tower)? Pretty sure I bought it from someone there.

Thanks, finally made it there and found the map lying on a table. Nice to have a clue where I'm going now.

What's weird, for me, was that before I picked up the map I had access to fast travel on the Island once I got to the city.

Vector wrote:

When is the point of no return for doing quests on both sides? The commadant has warned me that I'm being watched and I have a dialogue option but I'm thinking I can do both sides quests until I get that option for either leader.

I like that the game has a similar choice early on as in Risen where you have to pick one faction. It's pretty clear how they will each benefit you (Guns or Voodoo). I am getting in to being a pirate too. It makes moral choices easier if you just look out for yourself and shipmates.

It pretty clearly spelled out the point of no return on the voodoo side of things, I imagine it's the same on the other side as well. Also, even siding with the natives didn't automatically make the inquisition attack me on sight or anything (not sure about the other way around) so I could still wander round town, use the merchants, etc.

I'm curious about this game. I know nothing at all about Risen, but I happened to see a trailer for this and was blown away.

Fedaykin98 wrote:

I'm curious about this game. I know nothing at all about Risen, but I happened to see a trailer for this and was blown away.

Have you ever played any of the Gothic games? Or, failing them, the Witcher games? Risen is kind of a classic European RPG. 3rd person, action-RPG, that is fairly light on story and heavy on exploration. The game both rewards and punishes the player for exploring. It's possible to find vast riches or be horribly murdered. A big part of the fun is finding yourself being instantly killed and realizing "I won't go there now".

It's worth realising as well that you need to go into thes euro-RPG's realising you're going to get some bugs and rough edges (PB clearly don't have the budget of your Biowares and Bethesdas). But yeah, putting that aside this is REALLY good stuff so far - a lot of places you can just go poking around in corners looking for hidden loot and sidequests.

I haven't played any of those games. I have played Dark Souls, which is clearly very different, but also light on story and both punishes and rewards exploration.

Vector - I haven't played any of those games; the only thing that description reminds me of that I've played is Dark Souls, which I'm sure is wildly different from Risen.

Are these Euro RPGs some kind of blend between a US RPG and Dark Souls?

Fedaykin98 wrote:

Vector - I haven't played any of those games; the only thing that description reminds me of that I've played is Dark Souls, which I'm sure is wildly different from Risen.

Are these Euro RPGs some kind of blend between a US RPG and Dark Souls?

They kind of are with more exploration and questing. The learning curve is easier for Risen 2. I find the combat isn't the greatest at times and can occasionally be very frustrating. Those times are fairly rare. The animations can be a bit jerky and human character models aren't the greatest. Exploring the enviroments is pretty much the core of the game.

Risen 2 is a very polished game. I can think of one, maybe two, bugs so far. I haven't had a single CTD or lockup. The autosave system is very frequent.

I'm not as far as stevenmack so I can't comment about the comlexity of the crafting systems, magic (voodoo), or party system.

Pick up Gothic 2 on steam Fed, it's a good inrto the the universe and game style. It holds up well despite its age.

TrashiDawa wrote:

Pick up Gothic 2 on steam Fed, it's a good inrto the the universe and game style. It holds up well despite its age.

I'm thinking 360; I can't seem to get motivated for PC gaming unless it's multiplayer. Single player, I want to be on my couch. This is why a SteamBox is such an interesting idea.

Fedaykin98 wrote:
TrashiDawa wrote:

Pick up Gothic 2 on steam Fed, it's a good inrto the the universe and game style. It holds up well despite its age.

I'm thinking 360; I can't seem to get motivated for PC gaming unless it's multiplayer. Single player, I want to be on my couch. This is why a SteamBox is such an interesting idea.

Be wary in that case. They hosed up the 360 port of Risen I (the pc version was great though).

Fedaykin98 wrote:
TrashiDawa wrote:

Pick up Gothic 2 on steam Fed, it's a good inrto the the universe and game style. It holds up well despite its age.

I'm thinking 360; I can't seem to get motivated for PC gaming unless it's multiplayer. Single player, I want to be on my couch. This is why a SteamBox is such an interesting idea.

Hmmm, no idea how well the game plays on the 360. Risen was a poor port but Pirhana Bytes have acknowledged this and apparently adjusted the entire process to ensure the game is viable on both platforms.

Has anyone tried using a 360 controller on the PC? I've found the PC controls so good that I wasn't tempted.

Also, I now have a musket. I regret absolutely nothing. Musket, sword, and pistol combo is amazing. My musket even has a bayonet for when I can't switch to sword fast enough. Managed to kill and an alligator without it even touching me.

I figured out how lockpicking works, if anyone is interested I'll post.

Vector wrote:

I figured out how lockpicking works, if anyone is interested I'll post.

Yeah I figured it out in the end - took a little while to 'click' though

I'll make sure to check out some reviews first. I'm busy with our baby and Mass Effect 2 right now anyway; if not for the awesome trailer, Risen 2 wouldn't be on my radar at all.

I can tell you that the original Risen is very much like the original Demon's Souls in terms of its somewhat steep combat mechanics (not as steep as DS though), elements of exploration/danger, and the fact that certain areas will kick your ass until later on in the game. Where they differ is that Risen substitutes the absurd dialog and abstract storytelling of DS for something a lot more traditional and character-driven (kinda like an Elder Scrolls game, but better written). Also, Risen uses a traditional save game structure of course.

I would claim that if you enjoy DS for its mechanics and dynamics rather than solely its kooky Japanese flavour you'll find a lot to enjoy in Piranha Bytes games.

Anyone know of there's a 360 demo?

Fedaykin98 wrote:

Anyone know of there's a 360 demo?

There isn't right now and I don't think there will ever be one. Pirhana Bytes, as far as I know, has never made a demo for any of their games.

I believe there was a PC demo for Risen; that's what convinced me to buy the thing.

4xis.black wrote:

I believe there was a PC demo for Risen; that's what convinced me to buy the thing.

I can't believe I forgot about that. I had the PC demo about 1 year before I bought the game off of Steam. I still don't think they will release a demo this time around.

I now have a ship and a monkey. Things are good!

Vector wrote:

I now have a ship and a monkey. Things are good!

The monkey is really cool (although it seems a bit "overpowered" in the thievery department so I've been trying not to rely on it too much).

Next objective : an attack parrot

stevenmack wrote:
Vector wrote:

I now have a ship and a monkey. Things are good!

The monkey is really cool (although it seems a bit "overpowered" in the thievery department so I've been trying not to rely on it too much).

Next objective : an attack parrot

Definitely saving up for the parrot. I haven't used the monkey for thieving yet.

How is voodoo working out?

Haven't actually used a lot of voodoo yet, apart from making some charms and potions. (The potions in particular came in REALLY handy during a really nasty fight in one area with a lot of combatants hitting at once and my trusty healer was KO'd early).

The biggest thing for me so far is that there seem to be a fair amount of story-based alternate routes through several quests that rely on voodoo dolls.

Out of curiosity, how did the earth temple quest play out if you side with the inquisition? That quest had a voodoo-based solution for me, so I'm wondering how it plays out if you don't have access to that stuff.

Vector wrote:

I now have a ship and a monkey. Things are good!

I want my own ship so bad....

Guess I need to start playing more.

stevenmack wrote:

Haven't actually used a lot of voodoo yet, apart from making some charms and potions. (The potions in particular came in REALLY handy during a really nasty fight in one area with a lot of combatants hitting at once and my trusty healer was KO'd early).

The biggest thing for me so far is that there seem to be a fair amount of story-based alternate routes through several quests that rely on voodoo dolls.

Out of curiosity, how did the earth temple quest play out if you side with the inquisition? That quest had a voodoo-based solution for me, so I'm wondering how it plays out if you don't have access to that stuff.

Spoiler:

Awesome cut-scene where the riflemen take aim and gun down the advancing tribals. Then Crow and the Earth Titan attack. Use the spear to kill both.

Wakim wrote:
Vector wrote:

I now have a ship and a monkey. Things are good!

I want my own ship so bad....

Guess I need to start playing more.

You can probably hurry along and ignore some of the sidequests to get the ship. Just be sure to do all of the main quests on the Sword Coast as there is a point of no return with them. The sidequests should be persistent, though.

Vector wrote:
stevenmack wrote:

Haven't actually used a lot of voodoo yet, apart from making some charms and potions. (The potions in particular came in REALLY handy during a really nasty fight in one area with a lot of combatants hitting at once and my trusty healer was KO'd early).

The biggest thing for me so far is that there seem to be a fair amount of story-based alternate routes through several quests that rely on voodoo dolls.

Out of curiosity, how did the earth temple quest play out if you side with the inquisition? That quest had a voodoo-based solution for me, so I'm wondering how it plays out if you don't have access to that stuff.

Spoiler:

Awesome cut-scene where the riflemen take aim and gun down the advancing tribals. Then Crow and the Earth Titan attack. Use the spear to kill both.

Interesting. In my version (spoiler for alternative route)...

Spoiler:

Chani, the village chief's daughter, wants you to try to get her father and his warriors "on side" before attacking the temple, so after a few side quests to learn the forbidden art of voodoo you first create a voodoo doll and posess one of the pirates standing around in the native camp.

Whilst in control of him you infiltrate the temple (couple more talky side quests) and get close enough to the village chief to steal a hair from him. Returning to the native camp you make a second voodoo doll of the chieftan and THEN you attack the temple.

After clearing out the guards at the gate you proceed into the courtyard where you use the doll on the chieftain and him and all his warriors side with you in what I assume is the same boss fight.

Afterwards, the chief thanks you but Chani is banished for teaching an outsider voodoo and thus joins your crew. (as a freakin' awesome healer).

That's pretty great. There's some sidequests about gathering your specialists and getting some stuff done for them. The cut-scene is damn awesome and reminded me of the Sharpe's series.

Spoiler:

The party member you end up getting is Venturo. A massive ranged damage dealer. With him and the Nameless Hero using muskets you basically form a rifelmen column. With enough range, even the most difficult enemies get destroyed.

I'm wandering around with some stuff that I assume are for voodoo in my inventory. Can't do anything with them so they just sit there and confuse me.