Strategy RPG Catch-All

Fedaykin98 wrote:
Edwin wrote:

Disgaea 1 is coming to Android for free. http://j.mp/m2OIyZ

Shut the front door! To Android, though? Poop. Bring that over to iPhone!

In related news, I've decided I'm only interested in more of this style game if it's on iPhone. I think I'm done with DSes and PSPs. They would have to put some crazy must-have on the new generation to get me to buy another portable.

It's only the item world that they are bringing over to Android from what I've read. Not that it's bad, I spent at least 50 hours there in the full game

Just a heads up for those with PSPs who still care about this stuff but FFT:WotL finally came to PSN silently. Kind of exciting. On my PSP I now have FFT, Disgaea, Jeanne D'Arc, Valkyria Chronicles II and Tactics Ogre. SRPG powerhouse.

I'm saving myself for iPhone FFT. Seriously, I've been waiting to play FFT forever, it's almost epic:

199?: I become aware of FFT and think "That sounds cool, but I don't have a PS1."
2003: I get FFTA for GBA and it quickly becomes one of my favorite games ever.
2005: I get a PSP and think "This is awesome; I'd kill for FFT on this!"
2006: It becomes possible to run PS1 ROMs on PSPs. I explode with excitement and play the first mission or two of FFT. However...
2006: A new and improved port of FFT is announced for the PSP. I stop playing the PS1 ROM after just those two missions, wanting to play the shiny new version.
2007: I receive FFT PSP for Christmas, but am too busy playing Jeanne D'Arc, and put it off.
2008: I get an iPhone 3G and think "This is awesome; I'd kill for FFT on this!"
2008: I receive FFTA2 for Christmas and begin playing it, hoping that FFT will be ported to iPhone or that PS1 emulation on iPhone will become viable. Besides, I loved FFTA, FFTA2 has to be at least as good, right? Right?
2010: FFT is announced for the iPhone. I upgrade to the iPhone 4 shortly before its announced release date, partly to be ready for the release.
2011: Still waiting for FFT on iPhone, having seen several delays.

Man, when I look at it all like that, I think I may have more in common with my good friend DSG than just a love for SRPGs!

Fedaykin98 wrote:

Man, when I look at it all like that, I think I may have more in common with my good friend DSG than just a love for SRPGs! :lol:

We have a lot in common. Funny, but I circled FFT much the same way. I actually bought a PSOne and a copy of FFT in the year it came out. I played it a little and realized it was too difficult for me. So I moved on. FFTA was also one of my favorite games ever. It was literally THE game that got me back into gaming after a 4 or 5 year hiatus. I'm sure I've mentioned that a time or two.

And yeah, I purchased a PSP early and often (:( ) and when FFT came out I wanted to love it, but I disliked the PSP overall and hated UMDs. Now that I've made peace with the PSP and it's become my favorite console this became a day one perch for me. I even have the UMD copy sitting on my self.

Who knows, though. It may take me so long to play Tactics Ogre and Valkyria Chronicles II that I get too FFT on the iPad.

After Tactics Ogre I don't think I can go back to FFT on the PSP. If nothing else it's just way too slow.

gregrampage wrote:

After Tactics Ogre I don't think I can go back to FFT on the PSP. If nothing else it's just way too slow.

I think the same thing could possibly happen to me after my 12 year hunt to play the game, but I'm hoping the PSN version is faster by virtue of running off of the memory card.

DSGamer wrote:
gregrampage wrote:

After Tactics Ogre I don't think I can go back to FFT on the PSP. If nothing else it's just way too slow.

I think the same thing could possibly happen to me after my 12 year hunt to play the game, but I'm hoping the PSN version is faster by virtue of running off of the memory card.

If I get the urge to play it after Ogre I probably will end up buying it on the PSN (making it the 3rd time I've purchased the PSP version of the game) for the same reason.

Fedaykin98 wrote:

I'm saving myself for iPhone FFT. Seriously, I've been waiting to play FFT forever, it's almost epic:

199?: I become aware of FFT and think "That sounds cool, but I don't have a PS1."
2003: I get FFTA for GBA and it quickly becomes one of my favorite games ever.
2005: I get a PSP and think "This is awesome; I'd kill for FFT on this!"
2006: It becomes possible to run PS1 ROMs on PSPs. I explode with excitement and play the first mission or two of FFT. However...
2006: A new and improved port of FFT is announced for the PSP. I stop playing the PS1 ROM after just those two missions, wanting to play the shiny new version.
2007: I receive FFT PSP for Christmas, but am too busy playing Jeanne D'Arc, and put it off.
2008: I get an iPhone 3G and think "This is awesome; I'd kill for FFT on this!"
2008: I receive FFTA2 for Christmas and begin playing it, hoping that FFT will be ported to iPhone or that PS1 emulation on iPhone will become viable. Besides, I loved FFTA, FFTA2 has to be at least as good, right? Right?
2010: FFT is announced for the iPhone. I upgrade to the iPhone 4 shortly before its announced release date, partly to be ready for the release.
2011: Still waiting for FFT on iPhone, having seen several delays.

Man, when I look at it all like that, I think I may have more in common with my good friend DSG than just a love for SRPGs! :lol:


Good news.

Wish that would come out on Android as well.

Yeah, saw that in one of the iOS gaming threads. I'm cautiously optimistic. Can the epic journey really be over?

garion333 wrote:

Good news.

Awesome!

Fedaykin98 wrote:

Yeah, saw that in one of the iOS gaming threads. I'm cautiously optimistic. Can the epic journey really be over?

No. You'll find moving characters around too difficult and then you'll hold out for the iPad version.

Okay, this seemed like a good place to put this question. I just finished Tactics Ogre for the PSP as stated in that thread. I have a slew of RPGs and SRPGs on my PSP. Disgaea 1 and 2, Valkyria Chronicles 2, Jeanne D'Arc and FFT are the main ones. I'm curious as to what fellow fans of the genre think I should play next. Keeping in mind that I started Tactics Ogre in February when I bought it with birthday money. I could be nibbling away at the next game for a while.

So essentially I'm trying to find that right combination of a great game and the one I can finish the quickest so hopefully I have time to get to another one of these before the next year is over.

Side note: I also have Persona 3 and Trails in the Sky on my PSP backlog as well. So those are options as well if one of those is more "must play" or even "must try".

Well, Trails and Persona 3 are both exceptionally long, so you might want a palate cleanser before starting down those roads.

Jeanne D'Arc is really simplistic compared to Tactics Ogre, so you might blow through it or be bored with it (I fall in the latter). You'll know within an hour or two.

Now, if you haven't played a Disgaea game, well, you should. However, they take forever (or could take forever, literally) and are the most grindy of grinding (in a good way, there's SO much to do), but you can finish the main storylines in a decent amount of time.

I never managed to finish VC2, but it might be what you're looking for. The story is straightforward (and not as good as the first game, hence why I didn't finish) and the game progresses linearly so you'll know you're making progress. And if you never played the original VC then I highly suggest you give this a go. It's a fun combination of real time and turn based strategy they've come up with, even if it's a bit flawed in execution.

FFT is going to take as long as Tactics Ogre and be relatively similar.

Thanks, Garion. You confirmed my suspicions. I was thinking really similar things. Disgaea being too long, needing a palate cleanser, etc. So I might just go with VC2 next and see if I feel like FFT or Disgaea after that. The PSP has quickly morphed into my favorite system.

I'm sure I've said that before so I apologize for being repetitive. But it's just amazing to pack around a PSP with a 32 GB memory stick and have all of those aforementioned games and more on the stick at all times. It makes it easier to find time to play them. And I plan on playing all of them (maybe not finish them all, but at least give them all a fair shake) unless something on the Vita blows me away or makes me want to carry it for MP.

My full list of options for those curious. Or otherwise known as my giant PSN pile of shame that doesn't shame me as overtly because it doesn't physically sit on a shelf.

A few of these were free or bought with gift money. But basically I started collecting these years ago. It helped me to stop selling systems (for those that know that older pathology of mine) to buy digital copies. The reason I'm posting this is since I finished a 100 hour game I figured there might be a shorter palate cleanser on this list where someone might say "Ooh, go play that nao!"

Burnout Legends
Castlevania: SOTN (PSOne)
Disgaea
Disgaea 2
Final Fantasy Tactics
God of War: Chains of Olympus
GTA: Chinatown Wars
GTA: Vice City Stories
Half Minute Hero
Hoard
Hot Shots Golf
Hot Shots Golf 2
Jeanne D'Arc
Killzone Liberation
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Little Big Planet
Me and My Katamari
MLB 11 The Show
ModNation Racers
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Patapon
Persona 3 Portable
Phantom Brave
Tactics Ogre
Valkyria Chronicles 2

Symphony of the Night is a nice palate cleanser. It doesn't take that long to play through, and it's a great game.

Are you wanting a SRPG right now, or anything from that list? If anything goes, I 2nd the SOTN recommendation.

Dyni wrote:

Are you wanting a SRPG right now, or anything from that list? If anything goes, I 2nd the SOTN recommendation.

Yeah, I'm saying my next longer game is definitely going to be an SRPG, but given that I just spent 100 hours on TO I figured there might npbe some must play in my collection before I spend another 50 plus hours on another SRPG.

Dyni wrote:

Are you wanting a SRPG right now, or anything from that list? If anything goes, I 2nd the SOTN recommendation.

Thirded.

If you haven't played SOTN you are in for one hell of a treat, and depending upon how completionist you want to go with it, there's a lot of gameplay there. But even that said it's not going to be a vast timesink like a strategy rpg. Maybe 5-10 hours for basic completion, 20+ for full completion. That's a rough estimate though and will vary upon your skill and playing habits.

Sweet. I'll finally give that a spin, then, before moving on to VC2 or FFT. Most likely VC2.

I recommend playing Hot Shots Golf along with it. Hot Shots Golf won't take up a ton of your time and is a lot of fun (though I haven't played the PSP versions). It's not a game you need to "beat" to get enough enjoyment out of.

garion333 wrote:

I recommend playing Hot Shots Golf along with it. Hot Shots Golf won't take up a ton of your time and is a lot of fun (though I haven't played the PSP versions). It's not a game you need to "beat" to get enough enjoyment out of.

I've already played that some. Just never did much progression in it.

WOO!

Wow. Sooner than I expected.

3DS. Dammit.

Not like I have a Wii U either.

garion333 wrote:

3DS. Dammit.

Not like I have a Wii U either.

Finally, something I want to play on the 3DS besides the DS Fire Emblem and NSMB2.

My dream would be that they finally start selling GBA games in the eShop. So I could have all portable Fire Emblem games on a single handle.

Am I the only one who thinks the game looks incredibly ugly? I'm shocked at the super aliased battle spell effect.

Graphics are hardly all that important in a SRPG, but ...