The Killzone 3 Red Eye Catch All

Stele wrote:

Anyway, checking out our clan stats. SpacePoliceman is way out in front with double my xp. It also shows average unlocks for the clan and looks like Infiltrator, then Tactician are our two most played classes? I know I started with Marksman, did some time as Medic, but have had to go Tactician since sometimes it seems my team doesn't understand the whole capturing spawn points thing and how much it helps/hurts us. If you don't get one of the spawn points near those attack and destroy missions you are never going to win running across the map in time.

Personally I haven't tried Infiltrator at all. I hate spies in TF2 and suck quite horribly at playing them. Guess I'll still give it a try sometime this week, as long as the beta is still going.

I haven't tried the Tactician yet, but as I was looking at their unlock structure last night, it looks like they've been hamstrung a bit as compared with KZ2. You have to capture points now, rather than set them anywhere you want?

Also, it looks like everyone and their brother are playing as Infiltrators. It just seems like more and more people are coming at me dressed as our side, only to have them knife me in the face. Grrrrrr...

I'm primarily playing as a Medic, as that's generally the way I play these games. I really like that they added that area of effect heal function, although I haven't used it all that much yet. When I was playing last night, however, it didn't seem like there were many people playing as Medics besides me. Lots of dudes with shotguns killing me from across the map, though...

ilduce620 wrote:

Also, it looks like everyone and their brother are playing as Infiltrators. It just seems like more and more people are coming at me dressed as our side, only to have them knife me in the face. Grrrrrr...

I shoot everyone a couple times just to be sure, and if they are the Infiltrators they usually flash red when your crosshair is on them. Depending on how much they have upgraded determines the distance you can see them from. Even better, the Tactician's secondary ability is a radar scan which targets all enemies in range, including disguised Infiltrators. So playing as Tactician helps the team and keeps me from getting Infiltrator-killed very much at all.

Sweet.

Stele wrote:

I shoot everyone a couple times just to be sure, and if they are the Infiltrators they usually flash red when your crosshair is on them. Depending on how much they have upgraded determines the distance you can see them from. Even better, the Tactician's secondary ability is a radar scan which targets all enemies in range, including disguised Infiltrators. So playing as Tactician helps the team and keeps me from getting Infiltrator-killed very much at all.

Sweet. I can't remember if that was a Tactician's ability in KZ2 or not (again, I played Medic, primarily...). I generally try not to shoot my team mates, but that's a hold over from MAG where you could definitely, absolutely, kill them. It's still cool, though, that you never really know if someone is on your team or not, especially on maps with "tight quarters." Makes you really think about it and pay attention to everyone in the game.

Now that I've dabbled in the game some, I'm glad I did the Amazon.com preorder, as their bonus is 3 Unlock Points. I'm already busy planning where those three points will go.

Most of my time has been as a tactician, with a bit of infiltrator time thrown in because I'm partial to shotguns. The radar ability has helped my kill/death ratio far more than anything else. The reduced capture time is just a bonus.

Stele wrote:

Anyway, checking out our clan stats. SpacePoliceman is way out in front with double my xp. :shock:

That's because I'm what people generally call "a loser".

I liked Infiltrator the best in KZ2, and even though everyone knows its tricks now, it's still great fun. At max disguise, a melee kill won't break the disguise--man, that's great.

ilduce620 wrote:

I can't remember if that was a Tactician's ability in KZ2 or not (again, I played Medic, primarily...).

It was a Marksman thing, but makes more tactical sense. Tacticians are super important to winning (and I appreciate a good Engineer, too), so I'll do that if clearly no one else is.

I did play some engineer against bots and it was ridiculously fun. But without enough unlock points in the sentry I don't know how much I will enjoy it against people. Probably keep working on Tactician or Medic to earn more points until the Engineer feels useful.

The Medic companion bot was so much fun against bots I went ahead and put more points there first on Medic for multi. But then the last couple rounds I played yesterday my team was clearly so in need of Tacticians that I had to give up my Medic aspirations.

PS3 bundle with K3

And I just saw the KMart post on CAG, which mentions that there will be a PS3/K3 bundle in stores on the 22nd as well. So it's definitely not a Europe only thing, even though Amazon in Europe seemed to be only one listing it so far.

Guerrilla posted on the Playstation Blog about the various issues with the Beta. Well worth the entire read, but here's an excerpt:

Killzone fans! It’s less than a week since the Killzone 3 Multiplayer Beta hit PlayStation Store, but already you’ve racked up some impressive numbers. There’s been a staggering 58 million – million! – kills, of which around 10% have been Brutal Melee kills. Some 350,000 games have been blitzed through, with well over half a million players appearing on the Killzone 3 leaderboards. And two of those players have stormed through the one million XP barrier already. The Helghast don’t know what’s hit them!

...

High level issues discovered:
- Connection problems
- High load caused the database to fall over
- Score posting
- Flickering screens
- Ribbon stats not updating
- Vulgarity filter

Solutions underway:
- Guerrilla has already released a patch. At the time of writing this has gone live in the US and the EU. The other territories will follow shortly. We have no ETA on that.
- Guerrilla has made improvements for the server connection issues. The server was brought down and back up for that on Monday, February 7th.
- The problems with the vulgarity filter should be fixed now.
- Guerrilla will continue to update the servers and patch the Beta if needed. We’re watching your feedback closely on Killzone.com.
- Score posting issues have been resolved.
- Ribbon stats updating issue has been resolved, known issue is that 1 ribbon (the faster reload ribbon) does not update yet.

I laughed.

IMAGE(http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/1181872127_Kt4ck-L.jpg)

CptGlanton wrote:

I laughed.

ilduce620 wrote:

- Guerrilla has already released a patch. At the time of writing this has gone live in the US and the EU. The other territories will follow shortly. We have no ETA on that.

And only 20mb at that.

cyrax wrote:
ilduce620 wrote:

- Guerrilla has already released a patch. At the time of writing this has gone live in the US and the EU. The other territories will follow shortly. We have no ETA on that.

And only 20mb at that.

Heh...I got that patch Sunday night. Downloaded. Installed. Servers wouldn't let me connect.

ilduce620 wrote:
cyrax wrote:
ilduce620 wrote:

- Guerrilla has already released a patch. At the time of writing this has gone live in the US and the EU. The other territories will follow shortly. We have no ETA on that.

And only 20mb at that.

Heh...I got that patch Sunday night. Downloaded. Installed. Servers wouldn't let me connect.

:-P

I'm in the same boat and still could not connect as of last night.

Well, I tried to hop on tonight for a bit. I got in 2 games, and both times my PS3 locked up within a minute of spawning. Anyone having better luck since the patch?

Dyni wrote:

Well, I tried to hop on tonight for a bit. I got in 2 games, and both times my PS3 locked up within a minute of spawning. Anyone having better luck since the patch?

I was able to get in multiple games last night (between 8:30 pm and 10:30 pm CST), both in Guerrilla Warfare and Operations. I couldn't get into Warzone, as it gave me some "server full"-type error message I hadn't seen before.

Last night was the first time I'd tried Operations and I have to say that I loved it. Sure, it's really just a reorganization of the Warzone formula, but there's something about seeing cutscenes with my character name over the head of a dude on screen that seems awesome to me. Gimmicky. But awesome. For example, when I set one of the charges on the door at the beginning of the match and allowed our team to pass to the next objective, it slapped up the cutscene and my name was depicted above the character carrying out the action. Loved it.

That said, there was almost no communication between players, so we ended up losing. I think the game format, in principle, is awesome. But we'll need to get clan matches together with headsets, I'm afraid, in order to be effective.

That match, though, I ended up with 3000 XP. And our team didn't even win. Awe. Some.

Yeah I got the "game full" during last weekend, so that made me try Operations as well, and I was glad I did. It really is rewarding seeing your characters in the cutscenes. And the gamemode reminds me of attack/defend TF2 like Gravelpit and Steel, a couple of my favorite maps.

I think my best xp for a round was 8800 I got in a warzone match. We won like 5-2, and I specifically completed the assassination objective for my team, got some double/triple kills with mortar beacon, and just generally had an awesome round.

ilduce620 wrote:

Sure, it's really just a reorganization of the Warzone formula, but there's something about seeing cutscenes with my character name over the head of a dude on screen that seems awesome to me. Gimmicky. But awesome.

I've been both the guy roughing up the POW, and the POW getting roughed up. It's silly how gleeful that made me, but none-the-less, it did. "That's me! I'm committing that war crime! YES!"

SpacePPoliceman wrote:
ilduce620 wrote:

Sure, it's really just a reorganization of the Warzone formula, but there's something about seeing cutscenes with my character name over the head of a dude on screen that seems awesome to me. Gimmicky. But awesome.

I've been both the guy roughing up the POW, and the POW getting roughed up. It's silly how gleeful that made me, but none-the-less, it did. "That's me! I'm committing that war crime! YES!"

Hehehehehe...indeed, sir.

Really, it's odd how satisfying it is to see that. It's not like you get any extra rewards for it or anything, so far as I can tell. It's something relatively meaningless, yet has meaning to me, the viewer. I hope this feeling lasts for multiple play-throughs in Operations mode!

Are you guys playing this with Move? I'm having such a good time with Wii Goldeneye using the Zapper (which seems to be an outlier opinion), this seems like it would be triple awesomer, with a gun peripheral. I don't like how the upcoming Killzone gun puts the movement controller near the front though... I'd want my left thumb controlling movement as per usual.

ilduce620 wrote:
SpacePPoliceman wrote:
ilduce620 wrote:

Sure, it's really just a reorganization of the Warzone formula, but there's something about seeing cutscenes with my character name over the head of a dude on screen that seems awesome to me. Gimmicky. But awesome.

I've been both the guy roughing up the POW, and the POW getting roughed up. It's silly how gleeful that made me, but none-the-less, it did. "That's me! I'm committing that war crime! YES!"

Hehehehehe...indeed, sir.

Really, it's odd how satisfying it is to see that. It's not like you get any extra rewards for it or anything, so far as I can tell. It's something relatively meaningless, yet has meaning to me, the viewer. I hope this feeling lasts for multiple play-throughs in Operations mode!

I'm in a cutscene? In multiplayer? Cool. Although, because I've been playing the medic, the best I've gotten is riding on sky cars and having guns pointed at me. Still way cool. Operations is definately the highlight for me. TD is fine, Warzone is too long for my tastes (and too short for some objectives), but I really enjoy how Warzone is presented and played out.

I switched from playing KZ's spy to a medic. Stealthing is nice and all, but I much prefer rolling with my teammates, having a heal aura, flying bot, and rez tool. Oh, and the strong close quarters MGs don't hurt either.

If only this were a $30 or $40 multiplayer game, I'd be playing with you guys on release. I don't care about playing the "story", and there are too many other games I'm looking forward to, so I won't pick this up at full price. I'll enjoy the beta while it lasts.

Slumberland wrote:

Are you guys playing this with Move?

Nope. Supposed to be good times, though, so if you try it, let us know!

cyrax wrote:
ilduce620 wrote:

Really, it's odd how satisfying it is to see that. It's not like you get any extra rewards for it or anything, so far as I can tell. It's something relatively meaningless, yet has meaning to me, the viewer. I hope this feeling lasts for multiple play-throughs in Operations mode!

I'm in a cutscene? In multiplayer? Cool. Although, because I've been playing the medic, the best I've gotten is riding on sky cars and having guns pointed at me. Still way cool. Operations is definately the highlight for me. TD is fine, Warzone is too long for my tastes (and too short for some objectives), but I really enjoy how Warzone is presented and played out.

...

If only this were a $30 or $40 multiplayer game, I'd be playing with you guys on release. I don't care about playing the "story", and there are too many other games I'm looking forward to, so I won't pick this up at full price. I'll enjoy the beta while it lasts.

Yeah, that's in a cutscene during the multiplayer. It's their version of on-line co-op, so it's 8-on-8 versus other people. To me, it's a lot like how MAG did their objectives, getting teams to complete them in a sequence. In general, it's like Warzone but with some cutscenes, and it's set up differently. I dig it.

Warzone can get long, I agree. It's nice that they put in the Guerrilla Warfare mode for a quick play option, while leaving Warzone for longer play sessions. And since Warzone is so dynamic in how it switches things up, I don't mind the length. I did mind it in KZ2, however, when individuals would set their servers so that it could take up to 20 min PER OBJECTIVE. And you couldn't tell before you jumped into a server whether that's what the setting was. I think they've changed that for KZ3 so you can't do that anymore, but I'm not 100% on it. Either way, having a Guerrilla Warfare option for quick play sessions pleases me.

I put off Black Ops specifically because I was waiting on KZ3, as I very much enjoyed KZ2. So while I'm not really in it for the story, either, I still think it's worth the $60 to me: this is my summertime multiplayer title. And if KZ2 is any indication, then there will be people playing KZ3 when you're ready to dive in. For what it's worth, I played through the KZ2 campaign twice, not necessarily because I liked the story, but because I liked the mechanics and wanted the AI to give me something to do. I had a great time in the campaign on both outings.

Looks like there's a SP demo--this week for PS+ folks, next week for us commoners.

I'm hearing rumblings of bad feedback on the single player, but i'm still picking this up day 1. Will be interested to try out the SP demo when it hits.

Shadowklr wrote:

I'm hearing rumblings of bad feedback on the single player, but i'm still picking this up day 1. Will be interested to try out the SP demo when it hits.

A lot of reviewers didn't like the single-player, but I haven't seen a single bad review on the multiplayer aspects of the game. In fact, many of the reviewers place the multiplayer near the top multiplayer experiences they've had in the last year or more.

Take that as you will. If you're going in for a good single-player game, you may want to look elsewhere. If you're going in for a great multiplayer game that happens to come with a passable single-player game, I imagine you'll be pleased.

cyrax wrote:

If only this were a $30 or $40 multiplayer game, I'd be playing with you guys on release. I don't care about playing the "story", and there are too many other games I'm looking forward to, so I won't pick this up at full price. I'll enjoy the beta while it lasts.

I'd say I'm in the same boat. I didn't enjoy the KZ2 single player all that much, and by most accounts, the KZ3 single player is no better. I am, however, enjoying the multiplayer quite a bit, and like KZ2, the multiplayer in this game will likely have a very active community for a long time. I'll probably grab it during the inevitable $20 off Amazon sale and join the fray.

Dyni wrote:
cyrax wrote:

If only this were a $30 or $40 multiplayer game, I'd be playing with you guys on release. I don't care about playing the "story", and there are too many other games I'm looking forward to, so I won't pick this up at full price. I'll enjoy the beta while it lasts.

I'd say I'm in the same boat. I didn't enjoy the KZ2 single player all that much, and by most accounts, the KZ3 single player is no better. I am, however, enjoying the multiplayer quite a bit, and like KZ2, the multiplayer in this game will likely have a very active community for a long time. I'll probably grab it during the inevitable $20 off Amazon sale and join the fray.

Yes, I don't see any other PS3 MP titles on the horizon; so, when there is a decent sale I'm likely to pick it up and hope there's still some community activity.

I unlocked the LMG for the medic and had a personal best of 5700xp, including 5 ribbons, most assists, most bot kills, a 10 kill streak, other accolades, and 21-8 kdr. Oh, and we lost on the 3rd round. That was fun.

cyrax wrote:

I unlocked the LMG for the medic and had a personal best of 5700xp, including 5 ribbons, most assists, most bot kills, a 10 kill streak, other accolades, and 21-8 kdr. Oh, and we lost on the 3rd round. That was fun.

I've been liking the base gun more than I expected to, but I'm looking forward to getting my hand on that assault rifle eventually. 5700xp is teh hottness, though...well done, sir!

Yeah if I don't win the awesome edition from playing last week I'll probably jump on the first sale of this. $40 sounds about right, should be a patch or two post release to get things steady by then.

There may be problems I'm not aware of, and obviously ones that will normally come up when hundreds of thousands play at once, but since the patch I've had no issues playing except the rare connection error on the main menu.

Okay, I've jumped in with a pre-order from Amazon.

CptGlanton wrote:

Okay, I've jumped in with a pre-order from Amazon.

Seems like the best place. 3 free unlock points, and a download code for some classic map pack.

Not sure what other retailers are offering.