Magicka Catch-All

It's available for pre-purchase now...

cyrax wrote:

Steam Group created
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GWJmka

Invites and/or friend requests sent. Shoot me a msg if you were left out or want in.

Invite please.

I'm optimistic after the RPS preview.

cyrax wrote:

Steam Group created
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GWJmka

Invites and/or friend requests sent. Shoot me a msg if you were left out or want in.

Caved. Invite me please, kind sir. blind_evil

Invite me, too, please.

A playable demo just went up, in case anyone wants to give it a go before tomorrow

Didn't see a 4-pack, though, which is disappointing.

May I have an invite too?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/malor

I was already interested, but that RPS writeup sealed the deal. Looking forward to the slaughter fun! Invite please.

Oooh - demo. Nice - thanks, DS.

Tried the demo, and the game seems awesome. But!

1. There doesn't seem to be the character continuity you get with a Diablo style game. No loot, very little skill progression. As far as I can tell it's more like Gauntlet.

2. The game runs like crap on my laptop. It said it couldn't find a suitable graphics card, but I've seen this laptop run more demanding games better. If anyone knows what knob to tweak I'd appreciate it, I'm not very good with this sort of thing.

3. Targetting yourself is done via the middle mouse button. Mine only works about half the time and it seems to be the only control that isn't adjustable.

Only #1 is a real issue for me. The spell combos seem very cool, though I'm not very good at them (again, not very well adjusted to M+K controls). I'm anxious to see if the environmental possibilities are explored well (in the tutorial you use ice to freeze a path for yourself, water to clear a fire from your path, lightning to hit switches, etc.)

in.

\/ Link

Blind_Evil wrote:

Tried the demo, and the game seems awesome. But!

1. There doesn't seem to be the character continuity you get with a Diablo style game. No loot, very little skill progression. As far as I can tell it's more like Gauntlet.

2. The game runs like crap on my laptop. It said it couldn't find a suitable graphics card, but I've seen this laptop run more demanding games better. If anyone knows what knob to tweak I'd appreciate it, I'm not very good with this sort of thing.

3. Targetting yourself is done via the middle mouse button. Mine only works about half the time and it seems to be the only control that isn't adjustable.

Only #1 is a real issue for me. The spell combos seem very cool, though I'm not very good at them (again, not very well adjusted to M+K controls). I'm anxious to see if the environmental possibilities are explored well (in the tutorial you use ice to freeze a path for yourself, water to clear a fire from your path, lightning to hit switches, etc.)

Some good points, but bought it anyway. Price point makes it still a good buy I think. But will see for myself tomorrow.

Other off topic question...how do I invite ppl in our Magicka Steam Group that are not in my friends list?

I've killed myself something like twenty times already. Just sayin'

It kinda looks like a fantasy version of Alien Swarm. Is that somewhat accurate?

OK, what do you do to get goblins off of you? I eventually did it by casting fire on myself a few times, but there has to be a better way.

Overall I was kind of "meh" in about 10 minutes of play. I agree about the lack of loot probably causing me to not be drawn in.

Not a bad game, I just have a lot of backlog. I'll keep reading to see if you early buyers really get into it

MannishBoy wrote:

OK, what do you do to get goblins off of you? I eventually did it by casting fire on myself a few times, but there has to be a better way.

Overall I was kind of "meh" in about 10 minutes of play. I agree about the lack of loot probably causing me to not be drawn in.

Not a bad game, I just have a lot of backlog. I'll keep reading to see if you early buyers really get into it :)

Hold shift and right click. Just a wee little burst attack will do it.

I'm in. Could I get an invite to the group?

Blind_Evil wrote:
cyrax wrote:

Steam Group created
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GWJmka

Invites and/or friend requests sent. Shoot me a msg if you were left out or want in.

Caved. Invite me please, kind sir. blind_evil

Steam doesn't think you exist. Link please.

Played through the demo, it was pretty fun. This is a game that probably needs to be played coop though. Too often I kept getting stun locked by those blasted goblin archers. I wish the haste spell lasted longer too, it's invaluable when fighting solo. I found the best strategy for goblins was to run around spamming aoe spells (shift + right click) and finishing them off with lightning. Make sure to use a water spell on them too so that lightning is more effective. Still, I really enjoyed the spell combo system and it feels like there's a lot of depth to the game. I especially like that you can preload one spell into your weapon (shift + left click), and some spells behave differently when you use your weapon.

About the end of the demo...

Spoiler:

Was anyone able to figure out a good spell combo against Jormungandur? Nothing seemed to effect him except lightning at close range. I hope I was just missing something instead of the boss fight being that monotonous. The demo ended when he got to half health of course.

Also there's a list of achievements on Steam. Some funny ones in there.

Latrine wrote:

Played through the demo, it was pretty fun. This is a game that probably needs to be played coop though. Too often I kept getting stun locked by those blasted goblin archers. I wish the haste spell lasted longer too, it's invaluable when fighting solo. I found the best strategy for goblins was to run around spamming aoe spells (shift + right click) and finishing them off with lightning. Make sure to use a water spell on them too so that lightning is more effective. Still, I really enjoyed the spell combo system and it feels like there's a lot of depth to the game. I especially like that you can preload one spell into your weapon (shift + left click), and some spells behave differently when you use your weapon.

About the end of the demo...

Spoiler:

Was anyone able to figure out a good spell combo against Jormungund? Nothing seemed to effect him except lightning at close range. I hope I was just missing something instead of the boss fight being that monotonous. The demo ended when he got to half health of course.

Also there's a list of achievements on Steam. Some funny ones in there.

Spoiler:

I beat the end boss of the demo using only the basic shield spell

I also spammed aoe fire+earth if things got out of control with the goblins but when I had time to prepare I put a wall of rocks all around me (aoe shield+earth) and then either aoe through it or use an arcane beam through a small part of it.

Edit- hmmm should spell combos be spoilered? Not sure what the consensus on that is. Guess these are basic enough that it's not too big a deal...

oilypenguin wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:

OK, what do you do to get goblins off of you? I eventually did it by casting fire on myself a few times, but there has to be a better way.

Overall I was kind of "meh" in about 10 minutes of play. I agree about the lack of loot probably causing me to not be drawn in.

Not a bad game, I just have a lot of backlog. I'll keep reading to see if you early buyers really get into it :)

Hold shift and right click. Just a wee little burst attack will do it.

Pretty sure I did that. Oh well.

Ooo ooo! Invite me please! [GWJ] Gargamel on Steam (or try Dukeman330 if that doesn't work).

Please invite me.

Tried the demo, and it was fun, even if I died at the ship. I'm going to pass for now as my pile is already huge, but it sure is an interesting concept.

I'm in, please invite: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Yoyoson

Send an invite my way as well.

Oh yes, I will be in on this. Throw me an invite to the Steam group please!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/farscry/

Invite please

SteamID