Portal 2 Catch-All

It starts today!

No?

Since I'm pretty much over Diablo III, I may actually get to spend some real time on this over the weekend. I don't know if I'll be able to come up with anything interesting, though.

Ok, I agree with cyrax, competition starts today. Let´s vote on the challenge. I for one, nominate Mantid´s idea of Verticality. Thoughts?

kexx wrote:

I for one, nominate Mantid´s idea of Verticality. Thoughts?

That sounds like a fun idea to me! It should at least cause some crazy designs.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:
kexx wrote:

I for one, nominate Mantid´s idea of Verticality. Thoughts?

That sounds like a fun idea to me! It should at least cause some crazy designs.

As good a place to start as any.

kexx wrote:

Ok, I agree with cyrax, competition starts today. Let´s vote on the challenge. I for one, nominate Mantid´s idea of Verticality. Thoughts?

I prefer a randomizer outcome over votes, faster and impersonal. Down for any result. Since Mantid's this week's organizer, let's hear what he has to say. Mantid?

edit: Wow, Mantid's fast!

Let's rules!

I am? I thought Kexx did all the heavy science on this one...

Yeah, but he nominated you, which means you're the pretty face everyone looks to for confirmation.

You've got a cushy gig, man, don't blow it.

Edit: Wait, is it seriously "cush"? f*ck that.

Ok, so what then? Are we all in scientific agreement that the 10 day countdown starts today, 7 day build ends Thursday, and that the challenge involved this time is Verticality?

All in agreement, say Chariots Chariots!

Chariots Chariots!

Chariots chariots chariots!

Err...

Chariots chariots!

Agreed. Will start doodling tomorrow.

I guess we'll take the word of impostor cyrax as the real cyrax.

Nah, that was just my clone. He can sometimes be annoying.

Goodjer Group Event is up! Nice one Mantid...alright men, commence au festivale!

EDIT:

Question:

We're all for verticality, but did we specify if it's upwards or downwards we're going? Or is it free for us to decide?

As long as it's vertical, I see no reason to exclude.

Also, just to say I think that we should be able stay within the spirit of the jam even if not strict letter of law. I was able to spend just a little time last night on the vertical challenge. There are areas that are not going to be just vertical, though the puzzles will all be in the vertical section and focus on the verticality of the puzzle (assuming I have the time to finish this week). I assume this would be fine with everyone, but throwing it out there before we start since that's what I'm going to do. I wouldn't want the design challenge to lead to all of the puzzles looking the same.

verticality is such a nebulous concept, I wasn't worried about staying in the 'letter of the law'. My chamber emphasizes vertical movement, but that's it, plenty of the puzzles involved are not vertical. Is that wrong? (Edit: is there some specific criteria to a 'vertcal test chamber' that I'm not understanding other than moving more vertically than horizontally?)

Also, question, is there any way to prevent the player from shifting during Faith plate flight? There was a part of my chamber that I'm having trouble working around the player just diverting flight to land somewhere else, and I remember there were parts in the game that functioned with directed flight, but that might just be functionality that's not in the Editor.

I haven't found a way to stop them from diverting from the pate path. The only thing I can think of, is either "hug" the path with glass/grating/walls, or punish them if they do, as in landing in goo or something.

I think I've found a way around the problem I was looking at. I like this one well enough for my first chamber, but I'm going to give a couple other ideas a try before submitting for the competition!

Should we just submit when we're finished or wait until the 7 day window to publish?

Hmmm. Good question. What do you guys think? I have a map ready as well ready for publishing, but I'm waiting to see if I can come up with something better.

Perhaps we should wait, just to prevent playing them, and subconsciously copy an idea on our maps, and stuff like that.

kexx wrote:

Hmmm. Good question. What do you guys think? I have a map ready as well ready for publishing, but I'm waiting to see if I can come up with something better.

Perhaps we should wait, just to prevent playing them, and subconsciously copy an idea on our maps, and stuff like that.

Waiting sounds good to me. I haven't even started mine yet. Hope to get to it today.

I went through and added a bunch of the most popular levels. Angry tests is awesome. It's amazing what you can do with Hammer. I want to use the regular editor and hammer to create awesome stuff, but I don't think I"m creative enough.

Edit: Holy cow, I can't believe how genius #2 is. It's just incredibly good. I'm so happy that I can now just load umpteen most popular puzzles and get puzzles that are as good as the ones in the actual game.

So much for trying to create 'em myself.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:

I went through and added a bunch of the most popular levels. Angry tests is awesome. It's amazing what you can do with Hammer. I want to use the regular editor and hammer to create awesome stuff, but I don't think I"m creative enough.

Edit: Holy cow, I can't believe how genius #2 is. It's just incredibly good. I'm so happy that I can now just load umpteen most popular puzzles and get puzzles that are as good as the ones in the actual game.

So much for trying to create 'em myself. :)

Angry Tests are glorious. It's basically a mini portal 1, and I mean that in the best way I possibly can. I loved the non-euclidean bit in the first one. Been a long time since I've seen a game use that capability to good effect.

Had my first plan for a test chamber completely hosed by a low terminal velocity. So I'm trying to rework it a bit.

So no one answered the verticality question. We are on our own recognizance for what verticality means?

Jolly Bill wrote:

So no one answered the verticality question. We are on our own recognizance for what verticality means?

That would be my vote. As long as the level has some essence of vertical, I would think it should be fine.

Anything from a steep drop to another steep drop to a steep climb, to something like Mantid's level where the central tall pillar informs the puzzles. It's pretty loosely defined, as I see it.

It's just a theme, so there's not much restricting you. I feel like as long as you have to look up or down at something at regular intervals, that's verticality. If you also need to move to those places, that's good, too.

Hmm.. I was thinking vertical would be a map that's taller than it is wide (or deep). Guess there's plenty of wiggling room in the definition, which is good, we'll get a variety that way!

Variety is definitely one of the best results from game jams. People have so many different ways of thinking!

I made a map for this, is it too early to post it here?

Generally if I have an idea for a map it takes less than a day or two to get it finished, I don't know if I'll ever use the full time if it stays like that through other contests.

The map I made is pretty bare-bones (IE there aren't any gadgets or switches or anything, it's just pure portaling), which could be another idea for a future contest...

Anyway I'll post it up once I get the go-ahead. If I need to wait till next Friday that's fine.

I think we are waiting to post.

Also, I haven't looked back, but if 'nothing but portals' isn't on the list, it should be!