Portal 2 Catch-All

lostlobster wrote:

Just came here to post that myself. I liked it okay, but it's not great storytelling. I'm confused about the beginning and where she is and why she's hanging out in an empty house baking cakes. Still, I did enjoy it.

I'd guess they're going off the idea that once Chell reached the surface, she found herself in a Aperture Labs compound with a bunch of Aperture Labs dormitory housing filled with generic Aperture Labs canned goods (much like Dharma Project in Lost), but it's out in the middle of nowhere and she doesn't really know what to do next.

I finally tried out a couple of the co-op levels last night and surprisingly so far I'm not a huge fan. Maybe it's company-dependent but every room boiled down to one of us figuring it out first and the other trying to keep up yet utterly confused. Might have to try it with someone else down the line.

Note for anyone playing for achievements: in order to get the "Door Prize" achievement, you have to activate the little yellow intercom next to each vitrified chamber door. It's not enough to find them all, despite the vague wording of "inspect." This might have been obvious to everyone else, but it wasn't obvious to me. (Here's looking at another trip through chapter six.)

Speedhuntr wrote:

I finally tried out a couple of the co-op levels last night and surprisingly so far I'm not a huge fan. Maybe it's company-dependent but every room boiled down to one of us figuring it out first and the other trying to keep up yet utterly confused. Might have to try it with someone else down the line.

The puzzles can certainly lend themselves to one person simply pinging surfaces and saying, "Put a portal here. Now put one here. Now jump into them." I'm not sure there's any way around that other than to isolate the players in separate chambers with parts that interact.

ClockworkHouse wrote:
Speedhuntr wrote:

I finally tried out a couple of the co-op levels last night and surprisingly so far I'm not a huge fan. Maybe it's company-dependent but every room boiled down to one of us figuring it out first and the other trying to keep up yet utterly confused. Might have to try it with someone else down the line.

The puzzles can certainly lend themselves to one person simply pinging surfaces and saying, "Put a portal here. Now put one here. Now jump into them." I'm not sure there's any way around that other than to isolate the players in separate chambers with parts that interact.

I found playing through the levels with a friend, or in my case, my daughter, turns it into a more social game. It may be both of trying to figure out stuff, but there is a lot of communication. I would never consider playing through with just random folks.

Speedhuntr wrote:

I finally tried out a couple of the co-op levels last night and surprisingly so far I'm not a huge fan. Maybe it's company-dependent but every room boiled down to one of us figuring it out first and the other trying to keep up yet utterly confused. Might have to try it with someone else down the line.

Yeah, definitely try it with someone else. I was worried about that before I played co-op, but luckily Cyrax and I were pretty evenly matched. I also tried to stay just a little vague when I was the one who figured out the puzzle first so as not to ruin the experience for him. Not sure how effective that was, but I had fun and we all know I'm more important than him.

And if playing with another person totally sucks, go through it by yourself (assuming you're on a console and have two controllers)

MechaSlinky wrote:

I also tried to stay just a little vague when I was the one who figured out the puzzle first so as not to ruin the experience for him. Not sure how effective that was, but I had fun and we all know I'm more important than him.

I had a great time puzzling with you. It really didn't matter to me who solved the puzzle first, because in the end, for me at least, I still got that great "Aha!" feeling.

MechaSlinky wrote:
Speedhuntr wrote:

I finally tried out a couple of the co-op levels last night and surprisingly so far I'm not a huge fan. Maybe it's company-dependent but every room boiled down to one of us figuring it out first and the other trying to keep up yet utterly confused. Might have to try it with someone else down the line.

Yeah, definitely try it with someone else. I was worried about that before I played co-op, but luckily Cyrax and I were pretty evenly matched. I also tried to stay just a little vague when I was the one who figured out the puzzle first so as not to ruin the experience for him. Not sure how effective that was, but I had fun and we all know I'm more important than him.

And if playing with another person totally sucks, go through it by yourself (assuming you're on a console and have two controllers)

Nah, PC. And I was actually playing with someone I know but I just haven't spent a lot of time with him in the last few years. It just devolved into a competitive race with constant roadblocks of my stumbling to figure out what he was doing and trying to get him on the comm more frequently about it haha. We'll try some more later.

Quintin_Stone wrote:
lostlobster wrote:

Just came here to post that myself. I liked it okay, but it's not great storytelling. I'm confused about the beginning and where she is and why she's hanging out in an empty house baking cakes. Still, I did enjoy it.

I'd guess they're going off the idea that once Chell reached the surface, she found herself in a Aperture Labs compound with a bunch of Aperture Labs dormitory housing filled with generic Aperture Labs canned goods (much like Dharma Project in Lost), but it's out in the middle of nowhere and she doesn't really know what to do next.

Keep in mind that this is based off of Portal, not Portal 2.

My take is that the beginning stuff is Chell applying for a tester position with Aperture, and a few scenes of Portal 1 (with the live actress 'shopped in) to serve as a recap.

The rest I agree with QS - it's her not really knowing what to do with herself in the aftermath. Again, we have no idea exactly when in the HL timeline Portal takes place, but it's probably after the Combine have set up shop so sh*t is in disarray at the very least. AND CHELL WILL HAVE HER CAKE, DAMMIT!

I dug the City 17 reference during the sewer escape sequence.

Speedhuntr wrote:
MechaSlinky wrote:
Speedhuntr wrote:

I finally tried out a couple of the co-op levels last night and surprisingly so far I'm not a huge fan. Maybe it's company-dependent but every room boiled down to one of us figuring it out first and the other trying to keep up yet utterly confused. Might have to try it with someone else down the line.

Yeah, definitely try it with someone else. I was worried about that before I played co-op, but luckily Cyrax and I were pretty evenly matched. I also tried to stay just a little vague when I was the one who figured out the puzzle first so as not to ruin the experience for him. Not sure how effective that was, but I had fun and we all know I'm more important than him.

And if playing with another person totally sucks, go through it by yourself (assuming you're on a console and have two controllers)

Nah, PC. And I was actually playing with someone I know but I just haven't spent a lot of time with him in the last few years. It just devolved into a competitive race with constant roadblocks of my stumbling to figure out what he was doing and trying to get him on the comm more frequently about it haha. We'll try some more later.

Use Skype and see your troubles melt away. I find it forces the quiet to use their words.

Stele wrote:

Portal 2 10-level pack released

Only $140... with some new Razer Hydra motion sensing controller. :shock:

I saw this last night... looks interesting, but definitely not worth 140. Although I would love to see some new portal maps, I need to go check out the community scene for this.

I love how everyone sees it as P2 DLC with a controller, rather than a controller and a 'pack-in'

Scratched wrote:

I love how everyone sees it as P2 DLC with a controller, rather than a controller and a 'pack-in'

It's a cool idea, but I don't think the control scheme is going to superior to keyboard + mouse. Unless there was a game that was built needing the 6 degrees of freedom. It reminds me of 3D mice back in the day... VERY COOL... no applications that need them.

The new behavior looks neat, but not fast or that accurate.

It's looks cool, but I'd need to try it out before making a purchase.

Keep in mind that the DLC included with the controller isn't even made by Valve

and it's the only way to obtain the game's first playable DLC -- developed not by Valve, but Sixense Studios.

It looks like two Nintendo Nunchucks.

demonbox wrote:

It looks like two Nintendo Nunchucks stuck together with duct tape.

I just finished the co-op, so I'm pretty much all done.

Minor potential spoilers, I guess?

Spoiler:

The co-op felt more like P1 to me in terms of gameplay, with a lot more skill-testing 'I am a sexy, shoeless god of physics' moments', but the plot wasn't nearly as strong as the solo-player game's. Solo felt like playing a Disney movie, but it never really challenged me. Despite a few minor gripes I still loved both though.

Could I get an invite to the Steam group? Wouldn't mind trying a few of the co-op maps over the next few weeks.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197987239364/

invite sent

L4D2 Portal Easter Egg in a user made campaign.

Scratched wrote:

Songs to test by, Volume 2

YAAAAAAAAAY

The map the won the competition is hard. I am completely stumped.

Wow. I didn't realize while playing that there were that many separate musical themes. Niiiiiiice. Clicky, clicky.

Portal 2 has taught my wife how to use a PS3 controller. First Picross 3D, then Viva Pinata, now Portal. I am ever so gradually converting her to a full-fledged gamer.

ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

Fan made video: