Portal 2 Catch-All

It's rare that the internet disappoints me, but so far it is. Really hoping to find a link (hello youtube) with the new jonathan coulton song I ran into last night (still in chapter 2, if not one, so early on)-- about being in exile. I really dug that song and would like to hear more. Stupid lack of instant gratification.

The last paragraph of the Giant Bomb review nails it. I had a big grin on my face playing this game, but I felt a bit down immediately after quitting out, because it just reminds you that playing a game with such clever writing and such care in it's game design is so uncommon.

Stele wrote:

Anyway, I'm cool with the hats and the skins. Purely cosmetic. I'm a little annoyed by the animations for sale.

I felt pretty much the same way (didn't really mind about the store), but then reading some comments on RPS gave me a thought on how cool it would be just to have those items built-into the game and be able to customise your co-op robot in all sorts of fun ways. Without being charged an extra £5 for a hat or a pair of imaginary glasses.

All sorts of games have character customisation without charges. I wouldn't say I'm annoyed, just disappointed,

I'm not entirely sure why Valve thought they needed the cash. It's not a case like TF2, where I presumed they were using the money to continue to fund development of the game.

demonbox wrote:

It's rare that the internet disappoints me, but so far it is. Really hoping to find a link (hello youtube) with the new jonathan coulton song I ran into last night (still in chapter 2, if not one, so early on)-- about being in exile. I really dug that song and would like to hear more. Stupid lack of instant gratification.

Really, stick with it. If you thought the escape and going behind the scenes in P1 was good, that's got nothing on this.

Please add me to the group. Thanks!

Why is the decrypting taking longer than the downloading?

WHY!?

Slow CPU or hard drive? Took about, um, four or five minutes on a Sandy Bridge with an SSD.

Malor wrote:

Slow CPU or hard drive? Took about, um, four or five minutes on a Sandy Bridge with an SSD.

5 minutes is a lifetime!

I have the warmest fuzziest feeling now after finishing the game.

Seriously, there isn't any cloud support? I can't leave for another hour or so so I was going to play a bit on my laptop but the 'continue game' option is grayed out.

iaintgotnopants wrote:

Seriously, there isn't any cloud support? I can't leave for another hour or so so I was going to play a bit on my laptop but the 'continue game' option is grayed out.

Key bindings transfer, so something is going on, but save game data doesn't seem to be working.

Caddrel wrote:

I'm not entirely sure why Valve thought they needed the cash. It's not a case like TF2, where I presumed they were using the money to continue to fund development of the game.

Who's to say they won't continue developing Portal 2? Just a thought, I'm neither pro nor anti Robot Enrichment, but I think it's pretty fair to say they'll be some extra stuff down the line, in what form I couldn't guess.

MannishBoy wrote:
iaintgotnopants wrote:

Seriously, there isn't any cloud support? I can't leave for another hour or so so I was going to play a bit on my laptop but the 'continue game' option is grayed out.

Key bindings transfer, so something is going on, but save game data doesn't seem to be working.

When I went to start a new game it let me start at the beginning of chapter 3 (which I was a couple test chambers into when I quit). So it at least knows that you have played it but it won't let you continue.

Now to go home and replay everything I just did.

Thirteenth wrote:

Please add me to the group. Thanks!

Done.

By the way, this runs really well on my Macbook Pro with a 330M. There is a hitch every now and again but nothing major.

Hey y'all... I just realized Portal 2 is rated E 10+. All Valve did to get this lower rating was remove the blood splashes when you got shot up. Genius.

Not my primary gaming machine, of course, but pleasantly surprised by how well it runs so far on the MacBook Air. (The lower-CPU-power one, even.) SSD helps, I suppose.

(obligatory screenshot)

IMAGE(http://gallery.racoonfink.com/d/37876-1/portal-mba-20110419-230603.png)

In ch 8 atm, 3 turret room and just had to take a break for the evening.

Really a brilliant game. Fun dialogue, fun mechanics, fun story and amazement at the size and scope of Aperture Science facilities!

karmajay wrote:

In ch 8 atm, 3 turret room and just had to take a break for the evening.

Toughest room for me to figure out, I actually had to ask for help from a friend who had finished the game.

Just a smidge past that in Ch 9 now, I'd really like to finish tonight.

Mr.Green wrote:
Malor wrote:

Slow CPU or hard drive? Took about, um, four or five minutes on a Sandy Bridge with an SSD.

5 minutes is a lifetime!

Made worse when it is one of those unlocks where is stays at like 14 percent for half the time and then zips along the rest of the way.

Stele: (ending spoilers)

Spoiler:

He should toss bombs at you. Stand near the white gel pipe and he'll nail it with a bomb.

Finally got a chance to dig in to it tonight; having a blast so far. I haven't played portal since it was first released, so everything feels vaguely familiar but fresh at the same time.

Has anyone noitced that the keyboards in-game seem to have two F1 keys? (one for the F1, one for the F11). I wonder if this was intentional, a time saving measure, or a visual error on my part. Curious.

Oh, and just finished the single player. What a great game. Just a joy to play. I did need to look up some help for one section (which I think will become known as the famously hard section) but I don't feel too bad about it because I don't think I'd have ever figured it out, lol.

If anyone wants to tackle some co-op, I'm now game!

cheeba wrote:

Oh, and just finished the single player. What a great game. Just a joy to play. I did need to look up some help for one section (which I think will become known as the famously hard section) but I don't feel too bad about it because I don't think I'd have ever figured it out, lol.

If anyone wants to tackle some co-op, I'm now game!

Which section, if I might ask?

Hyetal wrote:

Which section, if I might ask?

Chapter 8 I believe...

Spoiler:

The 3 turrets behind the wall that you have to hit with the blue gel.

cheeba wrote:
Hyetal wrote:

Which section, if I might ask?

Chapter 8 I believe...

Spoiler:

The 3 turrets behind the wall that you have to hit with the blue gel.

Just got past that section. Not done yet but that was definitely the toughest for me to figure out.

Is it the 2-floor room with all kinds of gels dripping all over? That one took me forever. Part of the time was spent putting portals down everywhere to find setups that might possibly work, the other part was spent actually figuring out how the puzzle was intended to be solved, where I'm supposed to go etc. I think anything with white gel can get very challenging if you don't have an immediately clear plan on how to proceed. The gel makes you want to abuse it and cover every surface with it and makes you miss important clues to solving the puzzle in the process.

Hyetal wrote:
Thirteenth wrote:

Please add me to the group. Thanks!

Done.

Thanks!

cheeba wrote:
Hyetal wrote:

Which section, if I might ask?

Chapter 8 I believe...

Spoiler:

The 3 turrets behind the wall that you have to hit with the blue gel.

Yeah I just mentioned it a few posts up. Hardest room in the game I think.

I just got to the part where you can start covering Chell all over with gels... mmm i love me gels.

on a 'serious' note, seriously, gels are SOOO much fun.

Speedhuntr wrote:
cheeba wrote:
Hyetal wrote:

Which section, if I might ask?

Chapter 8 I believe...

Spoiler:

The 3 turrets behind the wall that you have to hit with the blue gel.

Just got past that section. Not done yet but that was definitely the toughest for me to figure out.

Oh that one. Yeah that one's hard too.