Portal 2 Catch-All

Ok, well... have to say I'm pretty pissed. I can't progress from where I'm at. I can't move, I can't even look around. I can load an older savegame and resume from like three chapters ago, or I can resume at the start of this chapter, watch the same cutscene over again, and then not ever be able to move or even look around.

Wow, Chapter 6.

Also, after Ch 5, now I understand...

Spoiler:

what all this potato nonsense was about.

Thin_J wrote:

Ok, well... have to say I'm pretty pissed. I can't progress from where I'm at. I can't move, I can't even look around. I can load an older savegame and resume from like three chapters ago, or I can resume at the start of this chapter, watch the same cutscene over again, and then not ever be able to move or even look around.

Can't you enable a developer console and move through a wall? I haven't checked the options but it's the Source engine, you can always do that in their games...

Mex wrote:
Thin_J wrote:

Ok, well... have to say I'm pretty pissed. I can't progress from where I'm at. I can't move, I can't even look around. I can load an older savegame and resume from like three chapters ago, or I can resume at the start of this chapter, watch the same cutscene over again, and then not ever be able to move or even look around.

Can't you enable a developer console and move through a wall? I haven't checked the options but it's the Source engine, you can always do that in their games...

Yeah, Mex has a lot of experience with the haxx0rs in Source games

Picked it up for Ps3, and love it. It is recycled from the first game, but I loved the first game. So hit me up on steam of psn for multi player this weekend.

Trying to remember... "sv_cheats 1", then "noclip"?

Getting into the later stages now, and the levels are awesome, some of the best 'real world' style stuff they've done. I just wish they implemented seamless joins between levels.

Hypatian wrote:

Trying to remember... "sv_cheats 1", then "noclip"?

Sounds right.

Personally, I am also stuck, but not in the physical sense that Thin_J is.

Spoiler:

Chapter 8, it's the chamber with three turrets to the right, a tunnel w/ reverse button and blue gel. No damn idea of what to do after you get rid of the turrets(I dumped blue gel on their heads and watched em bounce away).

Gah, so frustrating although I'm sure it's super simple.

edit - herp derp

Spoiler:

It was the tunnel to ceiling, drop, angle portal blue gel solve

Minarchist wrote:

Yeah, Mex has a lot of experience with the haxx0rs in Source games :lol:

Hey man, killing you is full time job

So far, I think I'm almost through chapter 8, and I'm loving every bit of it. Soooooooooo much fun.

Grenn wrote:
Jeff-66 wrote:

IMAGE(http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/ziffel66/fakepaper.jpg)

Is this legit or just funny?

That is my soon-to-be-Pulitzer-winning handiwork.

Just finished single-player.

Good, good stuff.

Thin_J wrote:

Ok, well... have to say I'm pretty pissed. I can't progress from where I'm at. I can't move, I can't even look around. I can load an older savegame and resume from like three chapters ago, or I can resume at the start of this chapter, watch the same cutscene over again, and then not ever be able to move or even look around.

There's a scene like this quite close to the end. If that's where you are

Spoiler:

remember that the portal-enabling goop is made from moon rocks

I'm nowhere near the end. Like I said, start of chapter 6.

I tried turning on noclip, doesn't work. Still can't move.

Really don't want to have to work my way back through two chapters worth of levels

Ah, I'd only seen the post on this page - didn't realize it was already under discussion.

No advice then. Plenty of commiseration, though.

Done with single. It was good.

Quite fantastic, loved the new credit roll

Anyone else getting

*********************************** * NO GAME SESSION * * some features might be disabled * * (achievements, stats, UI, etc.) * ***********************************

in their console. I'm not getting achievements apart from the first one, and the only thing I can think that triggered it is starting with -novid to go straight to the menu. Apart from that everything else is fine.

Forgive me father for I am about to sin.

I don't care if Valve never touch Half-life again. (although I'd still want to see it finished off)

HL as it's currently known is too constricting to what valve can do, they need to go on and make whatever new and awesome projects they like.

Finished the single-player section. Absolutely, absolutely loved it. My sole complaint is probably the relatively short levels between loads; it's been "consoled" a bit. But that's a pretty goddamn minor blemish on a truly superb game. I was laughing my ass off all through the game... I really enjoyed Wheatley. There's one really cool semi-secret to find; I won't say more than that, but there's at least one thing that worth going out of your way to track down.

And when I say I don't have criticisms, I mean I really don't. I don't think I've ever played a story-type game like this where I thought everything was pitch-perfect. Some of the gel puzzles took awhile, but that's because I was stupid and didn't figure them out, not because they weren't fair. The white gel puzzles were the ones I had the most trouble with.

Steam screwed up on my time-played statistics. As far as I can tell, it took about 13 hours, but it might be somewhat longer. It thought my first very long session was only two hours, and I think it was more like seven. In general, I prefer longer single-player games, but this really felt just about right... if they'd stretched it any more, it would have started to get tiresome.

I hardly, hardly ever sit back from a game and say, "That was perfect." I did with this one.

I hate how life gets in the way of gaming. I'm still at work, my PS3 copy is sitting on my doorstep at home, and the Sharks playoff game is tonight. However, I am totally one of those people taking a PTO day tomorrow. So, throw me an invite (Steam / PSN: ThatGuy42) as I'll be gaming late tonight and all day tomorrow.

Oh, one early-game spoilery observation, readable after encountering GlaDOS:

Spoiler:

I was wondering at first how you were still in the facility, and then remembered that they recently changed the ending of Portal 1. Originally, you were just outside, watching flaming debris rain down. But more was added some time in the last few months.... you now watch debris rain down for a bit, and then get dragged off by a robot, thanking you for assuming the submission position. So, obviously, they added that you were recaptured.

Figured I'd mention it for anyone that didn't replay 1 before starting 2.

invite to main group and portal group sent

Malor wrote:

Oh, one early-game spoilery observation, readable after encountering GlaDOS:

Spoiler:

I was wondering at first how you were still in the facility, and then remembered that they recently changed the ending of Portal 1. Originally, you were just outside, watching flaming debris rain down. But more was added some time in the last few months.... you now watch debris rain down for a bit, and then get dragged off by a robot, thanking you for assuming the submission position. So, obviously, they added that you were recaptured.

Figured I'd mention it for anyone that didn't replay 1 before starting 2.

There was a comic that also explains how Chell winds up in long-term storage, and why she's the only surviving test subject. There's a link to it in this thread somewhere.

muttonchop wrote:

There was a comic that also explains how Chell winds up in long-term storage, and why she's the only surviving test subject. There's a link to it in this thread somewhere.

There is also a link to it in Portal 2 itself, under "Extras" in the main menu.

Chaz wrote:

You know what, I've had such a crappy day that I'm seriously thinking about just buying a copy off Steam. If/when the Best Buy copy ever shows up, I can either just not buy it, or buy it for the gift cards and sell the extra code. I mean, damn, this is the first game in forever that I've been excited about, what's a few bucks in the long run, right?

It's only money. Never let worrying about a few Jacksons get in the way of a good time.

(is that enough enabling for you?)

You know what, I've had such a crappy day that I'm seriously thinking about just buying a copy off Steam. If/when the Best Buy copy ever shows up, I can either just not buy it, or buy it for the gift cards and sell the extra code. I mean, damn, this is the first game in forever that I've been excited about, what's a few bucks in the long run, right?

Edit: Never mind. Of course the price on Steam is now back up to a full $50, and Amazon is apparently sold out and won't be restocked until the 21st. God, this is getting really stupid. I'm pretty close to just giving up and waiting for the first steam sale.

It might be my game of the year (Witcher 2, Skyrim, LA Noire and, ehm, a few other games? pending).

It very definitely is thus far, in any case.

The only bad news I can find with the PS3 Steam is that it only has a friends list, and doesn't show any groups in it, just actual friends. So those few of you in the Steam group but not on my friends list I won't be able to co-op with from the couch.

I did load up the PC version for just the intro bit after dinner. Definitely looks better than the PS3 version, and runs pretty solid. I had some dips into the 40-50 fps range during some of the crashing around in the intro but I have everything set on high, and 4x AA/AF. Most of the time it's showing upwards of 70-80 fps.

Also noticed the store. Once I browsed it, I was awarded the Mann Co TF2 hat and the Pyro Beanie, both ported over from TF2 I guess. So now I have beanies on my two coop bots. Wonder if that will carry over to the PS3? Don't see how, as I don't even see the store menu over there. Although I didn't check PSN...

Anyway, I'm cool with the hats and the skins. Purely cosmetic. I'm a little annoyed by the animations for sale. There are coop achievements for doing animation gestures and stuff. I hope that you are able to get them all without any of the pay ones. But also, they have the animations as separate ones to buy for each robot, while the hats and skins stuff give you one option for each robot. Seems the animations are getting singled out and they cost more. Not a big fan of that.

Oh well, game is fun as can be and looks great. Going back to the PS3 version to try to finish up single player tonight.

Just finished up single player. The game was quite good. Looking forward to playing co-op sometime later this week.

I didn't catch many Half-Life references though. Anyone else see any?