What are you playing this weekend?

I was planning to play Surviving Mars. Was also planning to play that last weekend. Instead Ive played Path of Exile. Probably wont change.

I was hoping to finish palace #7 in Persona 5 (PS4) last weekend, but that didn't happen. Maybe this week. And some more Bastion (PC), possibly. I might also spend some time to finish configuring my gaming PC. I've been putting that off for a few weeks.

After spending the last couple of months with Xenoblade 2, it's time to do something a bit shorter. So West of Loathing is on the docket since it was on sale awhile back. Plus some Splatoon 2 to get in on the Splatfest.

Hopefully making some progress in Nioh and working up the energy to deal with Mr. X in Resident Evil 2. Also, I'm firmly back into Final Fantasy XIV, so I'll be spending some time re-learning the dungeon and newly learning how to heal.

I continue making progress in Ni no kuni 2, and taking the occasional break to play Lara Croft GO. Hopefully, I'll find the time/energy to go back to Thimbleweed Park for the Adventure Game Club. I confess I burned out on it a few days ago and haven't touched it since...

Brokenclavicle,

The Cave is soooooo good! I played it through multiple times on the 360, and loved every single character and their respective levels. Such a fun game!

Mario_Alba wrote:

Brokenclavicle,

The Cave is soooooo good! I played it through multiple times on the 360, and loved every single character and their respective levels. Such a fun game!

Yeah, I remembered tinkering around with it back when it got dropped on PS+, but sort of forgot about it. Now, after Thimbleweed Park, I decided to dig up anything Ron Gilbert and, lo and behold, I remembered this. Enjoying it so far, of course. Though, I feel like my instincts for this manner of puzzle were far sharper then, whereas now I have to take a while to get the game's logic. Odd, that.

IMAGE(https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/108600/header.jpg?t=1533308345)

IMAGE(https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/824070/header.jpg?t=1552403926)

IMAGE(https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/596970/header.jpg?t=1551374657)

Picked up Zomboid on a whim, so I'll be digging into that. Looking impressively crunchy so far with a charming Sims 1 style presentation.

Other than that I'll be getting my space truckin' on with Objects & Skies.

Giving the new Beat Saber DLC on PSVR a go. Doesn't feel as catchy as the original tracks, but I was starved for more songs, so hoping this will fill the void until the next pack. Also, I really should finish God of War, about 2/3 of the way through.

brokenclavicle wrote:
Mario_Alba wrote:

Brokenclavicle,

The Cave is soooooo good! I played it through multiple times on the 360, and loved every single character and their respective levels. Such a fun game!

Yeah, I remembered tinkering around with it back when it got dropped on PS+, but sort of forgot about it. Now, after Thimbleweed Park, I decided to dig up anything Ron Gilbert and, lo and behold, I remembered this. Enjoying it so far, of course. Though, I feel like my instincts for this manner of puzzle were far sharper then, whereas now I have to take a while to get the game's logic. Odd, that.

I've never been good at solving Ron Gilbert puzzles, but I have always enjoyed his games. Man, this is making me want to play The Cave again!

Conan with some friends and Tyranny when playing something solo.

Baba is You.

IMAGE(https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ljgqXckoDXiRH7yLeji4EmQiHCspk8URDtGM4SEdmsaF02Y4BR0PXHvqU39JKxiJCqXmXXxXzyh_1JNOc-AyjMyNqw0yNgSn4SWUXWSnVxy_86AKmfYMB_DouEmn4hvhJNyH-L5Uh5e_5SalU2v6LG5t_4ZAos22vZj7_bprLf4jrqbjLllBLqx2qCj1IHWJGi8NCeEZR7ady4eU6sMUS00yXRzWCAw5EQX7GE6N3kOYkUg831AjAEOlGZ2PzJC4zJo3qkBZeRyOS-w15yYC-EF5tn0EnH0HWA4HNKr43b6NmcP6jlEYbdnsT6RG4T8bRIjhFOQUKiZIYTEsUs78Xpp0liKt2uGGYEOVS7pxBoH8PPVifjbvNflyeDIUGq9aTpUquW8qtz2n4mzqUe2uh84TRHpmSmSiVteGZMK0f97-btTccUQdkvyl1W8YvXf4o2X8EOdW_Au6Q5BPEG-02aAz5FHOMPuCAwUP0qFNSyYCzufCFIt_WG6A_e9-luyZqk8zejPfQlbTaGcxDReteUoZ0fSy8cTYy7hV4XZOb4csfpRDvobIpwdmagQ3JdZW5kunnpFmDK5sYO9OKPe23qhuCga3_-o6VUOBpcXrK-BRVZJoAPqiySReQA_cz1DEmaR93DNoOtbDJahkMf71n2xySNcdCzI=w320-h240-no)

I haven't had this much fun with a puzzle game in years.

I just beat Night in the Woods!

Great 8-10 hour romp. My only complaint is that they really tried to make the main character, Mae, unlikable... but I found her very welcoming and fresh. She was dealing with a lot of issues in her life, and they manifested in multiple ways since she was having a hard time growing up and accepting change. That doesn't make her a bad person to me - it makes her human. She has faults.

Anyway, the game's soundtrack was very good. The conversations were well written and felt natural. I disliked some of the jump platforming they made you do, and the final act was a little bit of a fart since they had to have some drama in a game so there's an obvious ending, but... Still recommended.

8.5/10

Vrikk wrote:

My only complaint is that they really tried to make the main character, Mae, unlikable... but I found her very welcoming and fresh. She was dealing with a lot of issues in her life, and they manifested in multiple ways since she was having a hard time growing up and accepting change. That doesn't make her a bad person to me - it makes her human. She has faults.

This doesn't sound like a complaint to me? I mean, it sounds like they set out to make a character who was complicated and flawed but still sympathetic and likeable, and you went right along with that. It's a little weird to be like, "I didn't like that I ended up liking the main character despite her faults".

ClockworkHouse wrote:
Vrikk wrote:

My only complaint is that they really tried to make the main character, Mae, unlikable... but I found her very welcoming and fresh. She was dealing with a lot of issues in her life, and they manifested in multiple ways since she was having a hard time growing up and accepting change. That doesn't make her a bad person to me - it makes her human. She has faults.

This doesn't sound like a complaint to me? I mean, it sounds like they set out to make a character who was complicated and flawed but still sympathetic and likeable, and you went right along with that. It's a little weird to be like, "I didn't like that I ended up liking the main character despite her faults". :)

A ton of "professional" reviews that I read said that Mae was very unlikeable, so I assume that's how they wrote her to be. If that's the case (and I have no reason to not believe it), then it's a failure on the game developers' since I did not perceive Mae to be what they wanted her to be. They failed me in that perspective, but I don't think it's a bad thing. I still got that she's a troubled person, but I never said "ugh what an asshole". She lashed out, sure... but what person in a transition phase wouldn't?

Their failure was a positive. If that makes sense?

I wonder if the reviewers just had a different perception than you? Their take doesn’t mean that the developers intended to paint her as unlikeable — unless one of them also reported that developers had confirmed as much.

If I had to put my money on the developers intending for their character to be "flawed but likeable" or "unlikeable", I'd go with the former as the authorial intent. Professional game critics... sometimes have problems with nuance in characterization.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

If I had to put my money on the developers intending for their character to be "flawed but likeable" or "unlikeable", I'd go with the former as the authorial intent. Professional game critics... sometimes have problems with nuance in characterization.

This!

I think critics simply missed the point... like it flew way over their heads. Mae is quirky and flawed, has more than one dimension, but most importantly, is quite nice and kind in her own way if you explore dialogue choices enough... And that's clearly how one is intended to play a game such as this.

Well then take that, professional game reviewers! I knew what the devs wanted the entire time! HA!

As much as people rag on reviews; generally people´s experiences are their own. I've gotten intent wrong completely. So I don't want to throw shade at anyone who experiences the game "wrong".

Back on Red Dead Redemption 2. Gonna be a busy weekend so probably won't have time for much else.

Similar to last week, nothing really grabbing me at the moment, so I've fallen back on old comforts like Euro Truck Simulator 2.

The Division 2 -- slowly moving along, around level 8 or 9 now I think.
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice -- started this yesterday, really impressive.
Thimbleweed Park -- if it runs on my crummy laptop and my sick daughter gives me enough space to play it

IMAGE(https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/evil/images/4/42/The_Grunty_Industries_Factory.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20151207190449)

IMAGE(https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/-irQb08C5BmC1oivqKNk7CyjmSw=/0x0:1437x771/1200x675/filters:focal(1090x283:1318x511)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/53957967/Screen_Shot_2016-09-13_at_1.44.05_PM.0.0.png)

Finishing up Grunty Industries in Banjo Tooie and the 5th palace in Persona 5. I haven't really been making progress lately since my free time has been tied up in rewatching Game of Thrones and working on art projects.

I admire From Software's optimism that I'll only die twice in Sekiro.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

I admire From Software's optimism that I'll only die twice in Sekiro.

i feel thats more a minimum than a maximum

For the first time in weeks, I'll have a bunch of time to myself this weekend, so for Space Game Junkie, I have to first cover this:

IMAGE(https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/427970/header.jpg?t=1553126496)

Which I'm honestly not too excited about because the last time I tried it, it was a mess, and I'm not sure it reaching 1.0 fixed that. We'll see I suppose. I'll also try to cover games such as:

IMAGE(https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/1032570/header.jpg?t=1552573550)

IMAGE(https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/788630/header.jpg?t=1552501505)

IMAGE(https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/984450/header.jpg?t=1552996330)

For myself, I hope to get more time with:

IMAGE(https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/582160/header.jpg?t=1532007112)

IMAGE(https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/824070/header.jpg?t=1553073628)

Because I need to build up to affording a jump drive.

IMAGE(https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/219990/header.jpg?t=1552149420)

Because the expansion is about to come out, and:

IMAGE(https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/527430/header.jpg?t=1551088675)

Because its big 2.0 patch isn't too far away.

Should be a great weekend.

I'm between games and don't want to start something really big right now (which most of the games I want to play this year are), so think I'm going to start this up and mess around a bit.

IMAGE(https://www.paradoxplaza.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-paradox-catalog/default/dwb428103c/product-images/Surviving%20Mars/surviving_mars_base_game_360x320.jpg)

And maybe some Smash Bros.

TBH. I want to play a ton from my backlogs.

Vita:
Trails in Cold Steel 2.
Tokyo Xandu

PC:
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Mutant: Year Zero
The Division / Destiny 2

PS4:
Dragon Quest 11

Most likely Sekiro though

Sekiro is playing me.

IMAGE(http://www.shadout.dk/games/andre/sekiro1.png)