Whisky and Scotch Recommendations

Man I had a real amaretto sour kick there for a while in my 20s.

Maraschino cherries work pretty well with an old school old-fashioned as well. By the way, do you prefer old-fashioneds with rye or bourbon? Any recommendations? I usually go for the Four Roses Single Barrel or the Rittenhouse Straight, as I kinda like both.

Stele wrote:

Man I had a real amaretto sour kick there for a while in my 20s.

I had one a couple months ago; bourbon, amaretto, lemon juice, simple syrup. Really nice, nutty, refreshing cocktail.

MilkmanDanimal wrote:
Stele wrote:

Man I had a real amaretto sour kick there for a while in my 20s.

I had one a couple months ago; bourbon, amaretto, lemon juice, simple syrup. Really nice, nutty, refreshing cocktail.

I found this recipe just before Christmas. It's basically an uptown version of an amaretto sour. I loved it, but my wife wanted a bit less lemon.

I made one with the homemade pecan orgeat and a decent store-bought and I don't know if the extra work on homemade is entirely necessary.

Should there be (or is there already) a thread for cocktails versus just whisky?

Lester_King wrote:
MilkmanDanimal wrote:
Stele wrote:

Man I had a real amaretto sour kick there for a while in my 20s.

I had one a couple months ago; bourbon, amaretto, lemon juice, simple syrup. Really nice, nutty, refreshing cocktail.

I found this recipe just before Christmas. It's basically an uptown version of an amaretto sour. I loved it, but my wife wanted a bit less lemon.

I made one with the homemade pecan orgeat and a decent store-bought and I don't know if the extra work on homemade is entirely necessary.

Should there be (or is there already) a thread for cocktails versus just whisky?

Probably should be, but, hey, whiskey cocktails are whiskey, right? I do love Amaros; Campari is the best thing ever, since it's bitter as hell and not GROSS SWEET THINGS. Campari is like chewing on a mouthful of grapefruit and orange peels, but that bitterness balances so beautifully with other things. So damn good.

MOAR WHISKEY COCKTAIL WITH AMARO.

The Paper Plane:
3/4 oz each of bourbon, lemon juice, Aperol, and Amaro Nonino (this stuff is FANTASTIC, like orange blossoms and marmalade). Shake with ice, pour into a chilled coupe, it's just so amazingly good. Lovely stuff, and you really do get this great undertone of bourbon-y sweetness carrying through under the bright fruitiness.