Cartoon watchers with jobs

Amazing Screw-On Head, yeah thats definitely a good rent. Back when I read comics, I remember Mignola doing a Rocket Raccoon comic book that was pretty interesting.

ranalin wrote:
Maybe its the old codger growing in me, but i find nothing appealing with any of the new cartoons these past few years. Very few anime.

I'm the same. I was watching set 2 of Animaniacs the other day and it's sad to realise that cartoons like that will never be made again.

Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, Freakazoid, Tale Spin, Darkwing Duck, Raw Toonage, plenty I'm probably forgetting.

Current Cartoon Network stuff is okay, but for me nothing is like the 'good old days.' Current stuff just seems stupid.

Bring me my pipe and slippers!

Mytch wrote:
Currently watching:
Home Movies

Any Squigglevision fan needs to have Dr. Katz in the rotation, as well.

I also recommend the Hellboy Animated specials, which used the same lead actors as the live action films but were about 1000 times better. Mignola fans should also pick up the one-off episode of The Amazing Screw-On Head.

The thread's bringing up a lot of nostalgia, though I notice that no one has mentioned heartbreakers like The White Seal and Rikki-Tikki-Tavi yet.

SpacePPoliceman wrote:
Why are Batman, Superman, and Justice League not on Instant Watch? If they were, I'd be the happiest camper in all of the Happy Land Sunshine South Fork Campground.

It's not? Rats. We're on the last season of Justice League Unlimited (got them on DVD) and I was hoping to watch Batman and Superman next.

Since I've got the 9.95 Dish Network package and a 4 year old, my TV is almost constantly on one of our 2 cartoon channels. The Hub or Boomerang.

Boomerang regularly plays Dexters Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls, Batman the animated series, Batman Beyond, Teen Titans, Samurai Jack, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Swat Cats, Scooby Doo, Thundar the Barbarian, Smurfs, Jetsons, Flintstones,... the list goes on and on.

For the Hub they've got the new stuff like the new GI Joe and Transformers as well as older shows like Fraggle Rock. The only thing I don't really like about the Hub are all the goofy teletubby-esque shows they have. Those just creep me out. Luckily my kid doesn't like them either.

One that hasn't been mentioned (and is quite possibly the funniest cartoon ever) is a short production that ran on teletoon up here called Clone High. It's only one season and I think it's 15-20 bucks. Highly recommend it.

As for contemporary stuff, I'm really loving the aesthetic and humor of ADVENTURE TIME.

Mathematical!

SommerMatt wrote:
As for contemporary stuff, I'm really loving the aesthetic and humor of ADVENTURE TIME.

Mathematical!

I agree, but I wish the show wasn't so damn short...

dhelor wrote:
SommerMatt wrote:
As for contemporary stuff, I'm really loving the aesthetic and humor of ADVENTURE TIME.

Mathematical!

I agree, but I wish the show wasn't so damn short...

Seems like every cartoon these days is broken into segments-- I wonder if the stories could HANDLE being 22 minutes, instead of 11.

You all got me nostalgic and Youtube has at least some episodes of Gargoyles. I knew that Jonathan Frakes (Riker), Marina Sirtis (Troi), and Keith David (badass) lent their voices. I did NOT know that Salli Richardson-Whitfield (Allison from Eureka) was Maza, though. That was a nice surprise.

Here's another one I've been watching lately: Ugly Americans. I don't know what it is about it that intrigues me, but gosh darn it I can't NOT watch it.

dhelor wrote:
Here's another one I've been watching lately: Ugly Americans. I don't know what it is about it that intrigues me, but gosh darn it I can't NOT watch it.

Same. They just wrapped up season one, and while i've enjoyed it (although I will openly admit it has quite a few flaws, Randall is already cruelly underused and actually got less developed as they went along), if it comes back for season two i'll be stunned.

I don't know when it started but they have a new version of teen titans out called Young Justice. Or maybe the young members of the justice league. Looks pretty good from the trailer I watched.

Baron Of Hell wrote:
I don't know when it started but they have a new version of teen titans out called Young Justice. Or maybe the young members of the justice league. Looks pretty good from the trailer I watched.

Oh, it's a series? I got the impression from the ads that it was just a one-off.

dhelor wrote:
Baron Of Hell wrote:
I don't know when it started but they have a new version of teen titans out called Young Justice. Or maybe the young members of the justice league. Looks pretty good from the trailer I watched.

Oh, it's a series? I got the impression from the ads that it was just a one-off.

Yep, what they aired so far was just the first two episodes. The series doesn't start up again until January.

A couple of toons had some really good xmas episodes. Family Guy and American Dad were really good. I don't watch the simpsons any more so I have no idea how that went. I didn't really care to much for the futurama xmas episode this year.

Baron Of Hell wrote:
A couple of toons had some really good xmas episodes. Family Guy and American Dad were really good. I don't watch the simpsons any more so I have no idea how that went. I didn't really care to much for the futurama xmas episode this year.

I dunno... I thought the FG and AD xmas episodes were incredibly dark and dismal.

Stay frosty!

Hey there is a new thundercats in the works
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/01/...

Baron Of Hell wrote:
Hey there is a new thundercats in the works
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/01/...

Urgh.

I'm far from a cartoon purist but those anime inspired designs are terrible. Cheetara looks especially horrible.

MrDeVil909 wrote:
Baron Of Hell wrote:
Hey there is a new thundercats in the works
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/01/...

Urgh.

I'm far from a cartoon purist but those anime inspired designs are terrible. Cheetara looks especially horrible.

Agree that the new models look horrible. Can't see the anime inspiration, though. Can't see Cheetara's panties, for instance.

BOOOOO!!! Kids these days need their own cartoons, so they have adaptations to decry when they're my age.

SpacePPoliceman wrote:
BOOOOO!!! Kids these days need their own cartoons, so they have adaptations to decry when they're my age.

I dunno man, how do you f*ck up Ed, Edd n Eddy? The damage is done.

MrDeVil909 wrote:
I'm far from a cartoon purist but those anime inspired designs are terrible. Cheetara looks especially horrible.

Agreed. But let's face it, I'm not their demographic anymore.

Eh, it doesn't look so bad. My only complaint is that Lion-O's face looks too young.

Quintin_Stone wrote:
MrDeVil909 wrote:
I'm far from a cartoon purist but those anime inspired designs are terrible. Cheetara looks especially horrible.

Agreed. But let's face it, I'm not their demographic anymore.

I'm sure you're right. But then what is the appeal of the Thundercats to modern kids? A slightly less 'anime' style would appeal to olders kids like us, and be differentiated from the other cartoons that are out now.

They look alright overall, and from a production standpoint, the simpler, more anime-inspired art should make way for better animation. Although we all know they'd rather not spend that budget at all rather than spend it on quality animation.

Either way, I'm just sad that Panthro no longer looks like Ernest Borgnine. One of my favorite parts of Thundercats as a kid was what I thought a vague reference to Airwolf, my 3rd favorite TV show (after A-Team and Knight rider, of course).

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/fsbPH.jpg)

MrDeVil909 wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:
MrDeVil909 wrote:
I'm far from a cartoon purist but those anime inspired designs are terrible. Cheetara looks especially horrible.

Agreed. But let's face it, I'm not their demographic anymore.

I'm sure you're right. But then what is the appeal of the Thundercats to modern kids? A slightly less 'anime' style would appeal to olders kids like us, and be differentiated from the other cartoons that are out now.

You guys realize that the 80s cartoon WAS "anime," right? It was drawn by Japanese animators (as were most cool 80s shows, before it got too expensive).

SommerMatt wrote:
MrDeVil909 wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:
MrDeVil909 wrote:
I'm far from a cartoon purist but those anime inspired designs are terrible. Cheetara looks especially horrible.

Agreed. But let's face it, I'm not their demographic anymore.

I'm sure you're right. But then what is the appeal of the Thundercats to modern kids? A slightly less 'anime' style would appeal to olders kids like us, and be differentiated from the other cartoons that are out now.

You guys realize that the 80s cartoon WAS "anime," right? It was drawn by Japanese animators (as were most cool 80s shows, before it got too expensive).

I was going to bring this up by my google-fu failed to back me up on that arguement. Which just made me laugh when I read what the article was saying.

SommerMatt wrote:
MrDeVil909 wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:
MrDeVil909 wrote:
I'm far from a cartoon purist but those anime inspired designs are terrible. Cheetara looks especially horrible.

Agreed. But let's face it, I'm not their demographic anymore.

I'm sure you're right. But then what is the appeal of the Thundercats to modern kids? A slightly less 'anime' style would appeal to olders kids like us, and be differentiated from the other cartoons that are out now.

You guys realize that the 80s cartoon WAS "anime," right? It was drawn by Japanese animators (as were most cool 80s shows, before it got too expensive).

I'd argue that just because it was animated in Japan doesn't make it anime, though. The designs, stories, etc were very much western/American. Outsourcing the labor doesn't necessarily place it in that country's animation genre.

EDIT TO ADD:

At the same time, though, 80s cartoons were using Japanese animation techniques, just as modern American cartoons are. It just seems that the techniques borrowed are different. Whereas in the 80s it was framerates and timing that was predominantly Japanese in their animation style, today it is character design and symbolism more than animation tricks. Although they are definitely mimicking anime in techniques such as lower framerates (indicative of lower-budget anime) and symbolism.