SC2 Pro Tournament Discussion

Twitter just exploded with people surprised that Huk got 2-0'd by Scarlett in WCS.

I'm surprised that people are surprised.

Indeed. So far things are going according to plan, I hope Stephano can roll over MC as well.
And IdrA is a great caster too, been watching his casts recently.

liquid wrote:

And IdrA is a great caster too, been watching his casts recently.

It's sort of interesting that he can have so much very clearly correct insight into the game's inner workings but then seem to not apply any of that to his own play

Well that's normal, I think, when you're outside the game. If I do everything I know I should and when I would be in masters. Which is why I mostly don't play anymore, it's so frustrating to feel your brain shut down completely and not scout or get supply blocked, etc.

I've fallen a bit behind, so haven't yet caught FXO vs NSHoseo, but Slayers-EG/FnaticRC was an excellent match in the GSTL. Well worth watching.

*Just finished FXO/NSHoseo. Some odd games in there, but worth watching for some really entertaining games at the end.

Ooh, also, MLG Summer Arena is this weekend. Starts friday. I believe this one's free.

So, yeah.

Spoiler:

Stephano's pretty good.

Thin_J wrote:

I've fallen a bit behind, so haven't yet caught FXO vs NSHoseo, but Slayers-EG/FnaticRC was an excellent match in the GSTL. Well worth watching.

*Just finished FXO/NSHoseo. Some odd games in there, but worth watching for some really entertaining games at the end.

Ooh, also, MLG Summer Arena is this weekend. Starts friday. I believe this one's free.

It is free. I have also been watching a bit of the IPL team league stuff. Seams pretty good. Between that and fight club, I think I might kick in 5 bucks for a month or two.

MMA gets demoted to the B-team at Slayers and is forced to move back home. He is against the demotion and has expressed interest in moving to a foreign team, but since he is still under contract, he cannot leave without consent.

Crazy stuff. Definitely a "wait what?!" moment for me.

Kerplunk wrote:

MMA gets demoted to the B-team at Slayers and is forced to move back home. He is against the demotion and has expressed interest in moving to a foreign team, but since he is still under contract, he cannot leave without consent.

Crazy stuff. Definitely a "wait what?!" moment for me.

I don't know... He hasn't looked good in a match in what feels like months.

I thought he did okay vs DRG in the IPL invitational thing that HerO won

Hey, MLG Summer Arena is free all weekend (if you can stand no HD and only seeing one of two streams). Stephano vs. Oz has been a good series so far. Game 2 just wrapped, pretty tense stuff. Both are worth watching, but Game 2 was better.

It may just be the games I've seen, but Euro vs. Korea matchups seem less explosive than Korea vs. Korea. A lot of Euro players seem more willing to play defensively and macro, which blunts early aggression, but also doesn't put a lot of pressure on the Korean style of play. As a result, there have been a couple of longer macro games that seemed to end, and end decisively, with one or two quick late-game battles, rather than a longer back-and-forth like we got with Oz and Stephano.

Then again, I suck at SC2 and my sample size is pretty limited.

The Alica/Hero match was hilarious.

A lot of ups and downs for that last game. Christ, it had me on the edge of my seat.

Stephano vs Ryung was the best BO3 I've seen in a while.

We ran into Naniwa while eating lunch just now. Apparently NärCon is taking place at the university here. I was watching the stream from the tournament last night, not knowing that it was held about a kilometer from my apartment.

Article just went up on Team Liquid about Jinro retiring. It's not surprising really, but somewhere deep down I have to find it a little disappointing.

Still have fond memories of getting up at 4am to try and catch as much as I could of Jinro and Idra in Code S before I had to leave for work at 5:30.

*Another sort of retirement... Boxer left Slayers and joined SKT as a coach.

Yeah, I saw the Jinro announcement last week. I think watching Jinro is what made eSports click for me. He was so easy to root for, you got a sense of the foreigner situation in GSL, I could see the excitement from Tastosis...it was a fun time in Starcraft. Sorry to see him go, but happy to see what SC2 has grown into.

Oh! IEM Gamescom has been happening for the past two days, and runs the rest of the weekend. It starts at a normal hour for East Coast folks (good to watch at work if you're lucky enough). The past two days have been the Open Bracket.

The VOD hasn't hit the site yet, but keep an eye out here for Nestea vs. Empire.Kas. Good stuff!

I highly recommend Nestea vs Violet Game 2. This game is an example of what happens when you have perfect decision making.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey6sd...

I don't know if anybody else is watching WCS Korea, but the KESPA players are crushing right now. I don't know what the streak is now but it started the other day and they've beaten the GSL players every single match since.

*Some fun news!

IPL5 will be in Vegas again, but they get the GSL Code S RO4 and Finals this time, so that should be super interesting. Seems like IPL's making much better use of their partnership with Gom than MLG managed to in the short time they had it.

And in some less fun news... KESPA has decided their players will not participate in the upcoming GSL Code A qualifiers. Gom got snippy with them in a press release afterward and supposedly somebody importantish at Blizzard Korea said they were caught off guard a little by KESPA's refusal and they're going to look into it.

Thin_J wrote:

I don't know if anybody else is watching WCS Korea, but the KESPA players are crushing right now. I don't know what the streak is now but it started the other day and they've beaten the GSL players every single match since.

*Some fun news!

IPL5 will be in Vegas again, but they get the GSL Code S RO4 and Finals this time, so that should be super interesting. Seems like IPL's making much better use of their partnership with Gom than MLG managed to in the short time they had it.

And in some less fun news... KESPA has decided their players will not participate in the upcoming GSL Code A qualifiers. Gom got snippy with them in a press release afterward and supposedly somebody importantish at Blizzard Korea said they were caught off guard a little by KESPA's refusal and they're going to look into it.

I heard it was going to be the GSL RO8 and forward. My information is when they accidently said it on the air. So the actual decision might be different. Did that change?

Wow. They're going to play at least the semi-finals and finals without a week in between? That's kind of interesting, given the way it's going to cut way down on how much the finalists are able to practice for their specific opponents. (Compared to the usual GSL system.)

SodaGremlin wrote:

I heard it was going to be the GSL RO8 and forward. My information is when they accidently said it on the air. So the actual decision might be different. Did that change?

The official announcement press release says RO4.

sh*t's starting to hit the fan in Korea. Kespa is not participiating in the next GSL season and not even in the season after that. In response Nestea, Mvp, MC, Drg, Mkp etc. are boycotting OSL. It's time for Blizzard to bitch slap Kespa before the scene dies.

nossid wrote:

sh*t's starting to hit the fan in Korea. Kespa is not participiating in the next GSL season and not even in the season after that. In response Nestea, Mvp, MC, Drg, Mkp etc. are boycotting OSL. It's time for Blizzard to bitch slap Kespa before the scene dies.

The GSL players boycotting OSL appears to have had the desired effect. KESPA has come out and said their players will participate in GSL Season 5. Not the upcoming one that's about to start, but the one after it.

Here's the article

On the other hand they've already gone back on their word once. Should be interesting to see if they actually follow through with that promise or if they back out again when GSL S5 starts. If they do back out again I hope all the GSL players that are qualified and in OSL actually stick to their inevitable boycott. If it's anything like this current one the tournament will more or less be destroyed by the sudden disappearance of roughly 75% of the players.

*World Championship Series NA is live already. Currently Major taking on Fitzy. Gotta root for Fitzy. He's a local Cincy area dude.

*Guys, this first game between Fitzy and Major is hilarious. You should all be watching it!

HOLY CRAP. That game was... wow.

You know even if Major wins the next two games easily I think Fitzy is still my hero for finding a way to win that first game.

*Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

And now to root for Suppy against Huk

*Also, love seeing TT1 get 2-0'd repeatedly by everybody and knocked out of all these tournaments. Always amusing when a maphacker gets outed and starts failing miserably everywhere.

Scarlett will play the winner of HuK v Suppy. I hope that gets broadcast.

I'd be pretty stoked if Scarlett won the whole thing. I think she's currently rather underrated by a lot of the community despite winning WCS Canada handily and being one of a rather select few to put up repeat good showings and wins against Korean pros.

Scarlett v HuK! Go!