Walking dead tv show. (Spoilers)

Looked like a pretty clean cut too!

Well, having read the comics all the way up to date, I must say I like the show... mostly. The whole thing with Glenn and the car didn't seem right to me though. Even without taking the comics into consideration, Glenn said that he was always making the city runs alone and that he clearly knows that sounds are bad. So the whole car thing was a bit of a stretch to me. Otherwise, I'm fine with the changes they made. I understand why they'd want to introduce characters earlier than in the books, as well as having a more diverse cast earlier on. I just hope that they don't get too attached to the characters, and will do what needs to be done down the line (anyone who's gone through the books know exactly what I'm talking about).

Irongut wrote:
Spoiler:

those four rounds he gave Rick for his gun aren't blanks. Only next week will tell.

Spoiler:

No, they obviously weren't. You could see the lead bullet on the cartridge. Blanks just have a crimped brass tip.

I don't know how anyone could give Shane accolades for being a better father than Rick.

I haven't read the books, but as for the first three tv episodes,

He:

Spoiler:

is clearly using the son to solidify his position in the mothers arms

Let alone the fact that he:

Spoiler:

told the mother that Rick had died at the hospital in the first place.

Besides, Rick:

Spoiler:

was only reunited for what, one day, maybe, with his family before heading back. Doesnt give him much of a chance to go froggin.

I just hope

Spoiler:

those four rounds he gave Rick for his gun aren't blanks. Only next week will tell.

Hey, do I win for most annoying use of spoilers?

Phew

Irongut wrote:

I don't know how anyone could give Shane accolades for being a better father than Rick.

Since the thread title now warns of spoilers, I'm going to reply without spoiler tags.

I'd agree that TV Shane is still deeply flawed. Even if you think he has ulterior motives for being a good dad, I don't think you can argue that (in Episode 3) we see more of him being a father figure for Carl than we do of Rick.

Comic Shane is much more clearly in it for himself. I've leant out my copies of the Walking Dead paperbacks so I can't check, but I believe that the comic series Shane and Lori have sex once on the side of the road on the way to Atlanta, and Shane has a line like "I've been waiting for this for so long" or something which makes it clear he's had the hots for Lori for a long time.

Since the "good father" thing seems to have really hit a nerve, I'd like to reiterate that I'm not arguing that the TV version of Shane is a perfect (or even good) guy. I'm only saying that, in episode 3, we see him in a much more positive, fatherly context than we see Rick - and pointing out that this is pretty different than how Shane was presented in the comics.

I think this is on purpose, and that Frank Darabont and co. are trying to make room for Lori to be a little more conflicted about her romantic options. Either way, I'm enjoying the TV series' take on Shane and look forward to how the season develops.

Spoiler:

you all seem to assume Glenn knows how to hotwire a car. Joyriding once the siren is going and he knows he can outrun "geeks", why not have fun?

Nosferatu wrote:
Spoiler:

you all seem to assume Glenn knows how to hotwire a car. Joyriding once the siren is going and he knows he can outrun "geeks", why not have fun?

Folks who have read the series will likely make this assumption because, in the comics, Glenn admits to having stolen cars. It's not clear whether this fact is true for TV Glenn (I suspect it's not, since he's not the one to hotwire the car, and doesn't know how to disable the alarm).

It was product placement, pure and simple.

Dimmerswitch wrote:

...Since the "good father" thing seems to have really hit a nerve, I'd like to reiterate that I'm not arguing that the TV version of Shane is a perfect (or even good) guy. I'm only saying that, in episode 3, we see him in a much more positive, fatherly context than we see Rick - and pointing out that this is pretty different than how Shane was presented in the comics...

They definitely try to make him likable early on, with hints of douchebagery, but I feel like like they are going to turn him to the dark side at some point. There was some pretty blatant foreshadowing of things to come from his character in episode 3. The good old boy facade seems to be getting thinner and more full of holes.

He is one of those characters you want to be good, but will inevitably become public enemy number one. Merle seems too obvious a choice for that. He seems more like a source of random chaos then a complex villain.

Dimmerswitch wrote:

I think this is on purpose, and that Frank Darabont and co. are trying to make room for Lori to be a little more conflicted about her romantic options. Either way, I'm enjoying the TV series' take on Shane and look forward to how the season develops.

I don't think Lori is the least bit conflicted about her romantic options. She made her feelings pretty clear at the quarry.

I decided to check this out after seeing this thread and I've just finished the first episode (I know that's old hat by now). I can't believe I haven't heard anything about this before now. I love these sort of post apocalyptic settings, and this one has zombies, the CIA dude from Jericho and Egg in it. That's a recipe for awesome.

I can't tell if I'm sold on Egg's american accent yet, but I'm sure it'll grow on me (hell Hugh Laurie's did and that's awful :))

One of the only shows i actually watch on a sunday night =D. Loving it so far

casual_alcoholic wrote:

Somehow the tension hasn't faded yet though. I feel like the scare is always coming, but then it never does.

I kept expecting someone to get bit by a submerged crawler in the frogging scene. My wife and I love this, but she needs to watch something funny afterwards to decompress. The lack of music (and the cues that it normally provides) really ratchets up the tension for her.

Damn, those episodes fly faster than other shows I watch. I was hoping E4 was out already, love every episode so far and the last one was great too with the exception of

Spoiler:

the severed hand, which didn't seem like the first choice to make

.

Only 5 left this season. Short season. Seems smart to me that AMC wanted to see if there was an audience before signing a longer season.

I really hope that it doesn't mean we have to wait till next fall however, that would suck. It would have been nice if they just order the 1st half of season 1 and then see were it went.

But the BBC has short seasons all the time and they have some excellent series.

Just watched Episode 4. Enjoyed it. This shouldn't be a spoiler within a couple of hours, but as a courtesy for those Tivoing or further west...

Spoiler:

What the hell happened to the camp's perimeter? Wasn't it just in the previous episode that a zombie wandered too close and they had a discussion about this very thing happening?

Color me crazy, but I would have assumed that these folks would by now have a contingency plan. What that was was an "I Love Lucy" skit gone horribly, horribly wrong.

Deep.

I thought the sister was going to bite her.

You can totally tell this was a Kirkman episode.
EDIT
And what is this cdjaco another Oklahoma GWJer?

First 3 and a half minutes of EP 4 were boring as hell. I'm watching now and felt the need to post that due to how annoyed I was at it. Color me not interested in the sister-bonding fishing stories of characters I care nothing for. Maybe if they had made them to be more relevant characters first that people care about and THEN did the dragged out 'touching' intro it would be alright but this was just weird.

Yeah, episode 4 is definitely the best yet. I'm very happy that scene came at the end, I thought it never would.

cdjaco wrote:
Spoiler:

What the hell happened to the camp's perimeter? Wasn't it just in the previous episode that a zombie wandered too close and they had a discussion about this very thing happening?

Spoiler:

I'm betting Merle took down the camp's defenses.

Al wrote:
cdjaco wrote:
Spoiler:

What the hell happened to the camp's perimeter? Wasn't it just in the previous episode that a zombie wandered too close and they had a discussion about this very thing happening?

Spoiler:

I'm betting Merle took down the camp's defenses.

Spoiler:

That would be a bit silly. He's stupid and ignorant but I didn't get the 'evil' vibe from him

I liked Episode 4, once the opening scene in the boat was over. Al's guess about Merle and the ending makes sense to me.

Semi-relatedly: do we still need to spoiler everything? I thought the post title was edited so we could post freely. I've been trying to only put spoiler tags when including stuff from the graphic novels which hasn't shown up in the TV series yet.

FedoraMcQuaid wrote:
Spoiler:

That would be a bit silly. He's stupid and ignorant but I didn't get the 'evil' vibe from him

Spoiler:

He's been baking in the sun and he just cut off his own hand. You're expecting rationality when he wasn't all that rational to begin with?

My wife thinks he loaded up the stolen van with zombies and drove them to the camp.

Edit:

Spoiler:

Dimmerswitch stinks! :D

Dimmerswitch wrote:

I liked Episode 4, once the opening scene in the boat was over. Al's guess about Merle and the ending makes sense to me.

Semi-relatedly: do we still need to spoiler everything? I thought the post title was edited so we could post freely. I've been trying to only put spoiler tags when including stuff from the graphic novels which hasn't shown up in the TV series yet.

Everyone else was doin it!

The same thought crossed my mind, Quintin. Either way, his brother did say that he'd be bringing down vengeance.

What I want to know is why no one took another car from the city or got a ride or something other than heading out on foot.

In the books, someone other than Rick lost their hand, and with all of the other changes they've made for TV, I wouldn't be surprised if

Spoiler:

Merle's the Governor.