Walking dead tv show. (Spoilers)

Oh No broken page!
Edit
Ironic then that my post pushed it to a new page.

Problem Solvers: Always have been, always will be.

DanyBoy wrote:

I hope blondie gets killed real fast. I can't stand to watch her try to act. Her first scene where she stuffs a gun in Grimes' face was the most hackneyed thing I've seen the show so far.

sometimes I feel shows on AMC/HBO/Showtime etc go one step to far proving you can field never seen actors to get the job done when the story/writing is A+. I think one advantage they have in this format though is if the character is minor to the original material you can always just kill them off

Can't really say I'm a huge fan of the zombie genre but honestly in TV format? Sold. Giving this show a long leash to slap my intelligence around because honestly its unique. Nice to turn on the tv and watch something that isn't sports/reality tv/cop drama.

It's going to be a soap opera with Zombies, because they don't have the budget to have gigantic shootouts every week, but i'm interested in good writing and character development, so i'm going to give them a long leash.

Regarding the comics however, I saw someone somewhere saying they got "too depressing and dark."

The Zombie Apocalype. The Zombie Apocalypse. Too depressing and dark.

Unless Kirkman is just unceasingly, unendingly cruel in a new and spectacular way to his characters (since i'd argue that Ceaseless cruelty and the incapability to find peace are hallmarks of the Zombie Apocalypse), i'm going to assume that's a crazy person talking.

Nice to turn on the tv and watch something that isn't sports/reality tv/cop drama.

Truth!

So many bloody Cop Drama's it's ridiculous!

Gaald wrote:
Nice to turn on the tv and watch something that isn't sports/reality tv/cop drama.

Truth!

So many bloody Cop Drama's it's ridiculous!

And, if you've watched The Wire, why on earth would you ever want to watch another cop drama again? Just rewatch The Wire.

Loved the premier. The second was a little slow, but I bet once the whole season is out and you can watch the episodes back-to-back-to-back it will not be so noticeable. Over the years I've gotten so used to watching a series in large chunks that it's hard to watch episodes with week-long interludes, and so I tend to judge stuff a little more harshly.

Question that's bothered me since seeing the premier and the title card: why are the cars on I-85, heading out of the city, all burnt out? Or is that just a color thing they're doing for effect?

I love it, but I'm sad that no one has DIED yet.

Warlock wrote:

I love it, but I'm sad that no one has DIED yet.

You mean aside from the 99% of the populace that died off-screen?

The scene in the second episode where

Spoiler:

they were hacking up the zombie so that they could blend in made me feel ill - it was pretty realistically done, and the actor who plays the Asian kid totally sold the gross-out factor.

Glenn.
Your favorite character is Glenn and I respect you for it.

Ballotechnic wrote:
Prederick wrote:

Unless Kirkman is just unceasingly, unendingly cruel in a new and spectacular way to his characters (since i'd argue that Ceaseless cruelty and the incapability to find peace are hallmarks of the Zombie Apocalypse), i'm going to assume that's a crazy person talking.

He really is though, I don't thing I've ever read anything that had me think exclaim WTF as much as this series. I just finished reading through issue #76 and it's exponentially darker than anything I've ever seen on tv. I couldn't put the comics down, but it was brutally depressing at times. It would be like making "The Road" as a tv series level depressing.

To some extent I'm glad they're already diverging the series from the comic a bit.

Kirkman is unceasingly cruel to his characters. I was explaining to a friend that almost nothing good happens to anyone in the comics.

Prederick wrote:

Unless Kirkman is just unceasingly, unendingly cruel in a new and spectacular way to his characters (since i'd argue that Ceaseless cruelty and the incapability to find peace are hallmarks of the Zombie Apocalypse), i'm going to assume that's a crazy person talking.

He really is though, I don't think I've ever read anything that had me think exclaim WTF as much as this series. I just finished reading through issue #76 and it's exponentially darker than anything I've ever seen on tv. I couldn't put the comics down, but it was brutally depressing at times. It would be like making "The Road" as a tv series level depressing.

To some extent I'm glad they're already diverging the series from the comic a bit.

Ballotechnic wrote:

It would be like making "The Road" as a tv series...

Sign me up!!!!!

Ballotechnic wrote:
Prederick wrote:

Unless Kirkman is just unceasingly, unendingly cruel in a new and spectacular way to his characters (since i'd argue that Ceaseless cruelty and the incapability to find peace are hallmarks of the Zombie Apocalypse), i'm going to assume that's a crazy person talking.

He really is though, I don't think I've ever read anything that had me think exclaim WTF as much as this series. I just finished reading through issue #76 and it's exponentially darker than anything I've ever seen on tv. I couldn't put the comics down, but it was brutally depressing at times.

Not only is issue number 76 exponentially more depressing than anything on tv, but it's exponentially less depressing than a lot of the things that came before it. I just got into the comics and read the first 4 years worth in a weekend, that may have been overdoing it, made myself kind of sad.

Ha- I just noticed that Carl is wearing a Science Dog shirt in the show.

There's only 3 more episode in these season? What!? I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to deal with the emotional roller coaster.

Regarding the the guy on the rooftop, Merl(?).

Spoiler:

Why on earth would he saw off his hand rather than the cuff? Did I miss something?

ruhk wrote:

Ha- I just noticed that Carl is wearing a Science Dog shirt in the show.

When? I want to go back and try and find it!

That gore trek through the mob was awesome! I loved the tension of that scene.

Also a humorous part where the asian guy made zombie urghhh noises when he was being inspected by one of the zombies

NathanialG wrote:
ruhk wrote:

Ha- I just noticed that Carl is wearing a Science Dog shirt in the show.

When? I want to go back and try and find it!

The first fourth or so of the episode- he changes into something else the next day.

EDIT: found this pic of him wearing it from the promo materials.
IMAGE(http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_slzL0vHRjtY/TD9DVdfw6SI/AAAAAAAAFNk/fLppdbcoHLQ/s1600/walkingdead1.jpg)

Ballotechnic wrote:

There's only 3 more episode in these season? What!? I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to deal with the emotional roller coaster.

That's what I'm thinking. I need more.

I am loving this show already! It draws you in like a movie and keeps you wanting more!!

Ballotechnic wrote:

There's only 3 more episode in these season? What!? I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to deal with the emotional roller coaster.

Regarding the the guy on the rooftop, Merl(?).

Spoiler:

Why on earth would he saw off his hand rather than the cuff? Did I miss something?

I had the exact same thought.

Spoiler:

When the brother got up there and recoiled in horror, I thought Merle was dead. I wasn't expecting his severed hand because I had figured if he had been able to reach the hacksaw, he would've removed the cuffs. Wouldn't it have been easier to frantically saw through one of the links in handcuff's chain instead of trying to saw off his own hand? The amount of pain he would've been in (which would make it a difficult and slow process), the possibility of losing consciousness (therefore allowing more time for the zombies to weaken the door) and the risk of bleeding to death with no guarantee of finding first aid should've been enough of a deterrent. I really wonder what the justification was. Did the saw not work on the handcuffs or the metal object he was attached to?

gah spoilers!

This site feels like the Walking Dead. We need bullets!

I looooved the way they capped the third episode. The writing can feel a bit stiff at times, but i'm sure on the whole it'll be solid. I'm really hoping this sticks around for a while. One of the things about zombie movies is that they're just too short to really delve into the kind of day to day life of living post-apocalypse, it's mainly action and most of the characters are dead while a few escape into the distance by the end. Having this a serialized and not having the million billion dollar budget per episode really helps to make this more character driven and so far the characters have been great.

Mystic Violet wrote:
Ballotechnic wrote:

There's only 3 more episode in these season? What!? I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to deal with the emotional roller coaster.

Regarding the the guy on the rooftop, Merl(?).

Spoiler:

Why on earth would he saw off his hand rather than the cuff? Did I miss something?

I had the exact same thought.

Spoiler:

When the brother got up there and recoiled in horror, I thought Merle was dead. I wasn't expecting his severed hand because I had figured if he had been able to reach the hacksaw, he would've removed the cuffs. Wouldn't it have been easier to frantically saw through one of the links in handcuff's chain instead of trying to saw off his own hand? The amount of pain he would've been in (which would make it a difficult and slow process), the possibility of losing consciousness (therefore allowing more time for the zombies to weaken the door) and the risk of bleeding to death with no guarantee of finding first aid should've been enough of a deterrent. I really wonder what the justification was. Did the saw not work on the handcuffs or the metal object he was attached to?

Spoiler:

Surely that bar would've been easier to saw through than flesh and bone? It looked to only be about finger width or so. I'm just going to have to chalk it up to he was crazy with delirium.

Brizahd wrote:
Mystic Violet wrote:
Ballotechnic wrote:

There's only 3 more episode in these season? What!? I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to deal with the emotional roller coaster.

Regarding the the guy on the rooftop, Merl(?).

Spoiler:

Why on earth would he saw off his hand rather than the cuff? Did I miss something?

I had the exact same thought.

Spoiler:

When the brother got up there and recoiled in horror, I thought Merle was dead. I wasn't expecting his severed hand because I had figured if he had been able to reach the hacksaw, he would've removed the cuffs. Wouldn't it have been easier to frantically saw through one of the links in handcuff's chain instead of trying to saw off his own hand? The amount of pain he would've been in (which would make it a difficult and slow process), the possibility of losing consciousness (therefore allowing more time for the zombies to weaken the door) and the risk of bleeding to death with no guarantee of finding first aid should've been enough of a deterrent. I really wonder what the justification was. Did the saw not work on the handcuffs or the metal object he was attached to?

Spoiler:

Surely that bar would've been easier to saw through than flesh and bone? It looked to only be about finger width or so. I'm just going to have to chalk it up to he was crazy with delirium.

That is what I'm thinking.

obirano wrote:
Brizahd wrote:
Mystic Violet wrote:
Ballotechnic wrote:

There's only 3 more episode in these season? What!? I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to deal with the emotional roller coaster.

Regarding the the guy on the rooftop, Merl(?).

Spoiler:

Why on earth would he saw off his hand rather than the cuff? Did I miss something?

I had the exact same thought.

Spoiler:

When the brother got up there and recoiled in horror, I thought Merle was dead. I wasn't expecting his severed hand because I had figured if he had been able to reach the hacksaw, he would've removed the cuffs. Wouldn't it have been easier to frantically saw through one of the links in handcuff's chain instead of trying to saw off his own hand? The amount of pain he would've been in (which would make it a difficult and slow process), the possibility of losing consciousness (therefore allowing more time for the zombies to weaken the door) and the risk of bleeding to death with no guarantee of finding first aid should've been enough of a deterrent. I really wonder what the justification was. Did the saw not work on the handcuffs or the metal object he was attached to?

Spoiler:

Surely that bar would've been easier to saw through than flesh and bone? It looked to only be about finger width or so. I'm just going to have to chalk it up to he was crazy with delirium.

That is what I'm thinking.

Either that or they REALLY wanted to labor the 'dumb white trash' point. Why be hating the living when you're escaping the dead?

I thought Daryl was great, and hope he sticks around for a while. I also like that they're making Shane a lot more sympathetic in the TV show than he is in the comic series. In episode 3, he's clearly a better father than Rick, and is the only one to make a cogent, non-emotional argument against attempting to rescue Merle.

Really digging the quality of the acting - it's much more on a par with The Wire than I'd dared to hope for.

Dimmerswitch wrote:

I thought Daryl was great, and hope he sticks around for a while. I also like that they're making Shane a lot more sympathetic in the TV show than he is in the comic series. In episode 3, he's clearly a better father than Rick, and is the only one to make a cogent, non-emotional argument against attempting to rescue Merle.

Really digging the quality of the acting - it's much more on a par with The Wire than I'd dared to hope for.

Since Rick hasn't had a chance to sit down and breathe yet, let's reserve judgement on what a great "father" Shane is. This is the same guy that (in the show anyway)

Spoiler:

Lied to Laurie and Shane and told them Rick was dead, convinced them to abandon him in the hospital, and is going to be the cause of several deaths because he refuses to move the camp away from Atlanta. Yes, they've got more room to work with his character, but he's still a greedy, envious asshat trying to horn in on Rick's family.

m0nk3yboy wrote:
obirano wrote:
Brizahd wrote:
Mystic Violet wrote:
Ballotechnic wrote:

There's only 3 more episode in these season? What!? I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to deal with the emotional roller coaster.

Regarding the the guy on the rooftop, Merl(?).

Spoiler:

Why on earth would he saw off his hand rather than the cuff? Did I miss something?

I had the exact same thought.

Spoiler:

When the brother got up there and recoiled in horror, I thought Merle was dead. I wasn't expecting his severed hand because I had figured if he had been able to reach the hacksaw, he would've removed the cuffs. Wouldn't it have been easier to frantically saw through one of the links in handcuff's chain instead of trying to saw off his own hand? The amount of pain he would've been in (which would make it a difficult and slow process), the possibility of losing consciousness (therefore allowing more time for the zombies to weaken the door) and the risk of bleeding to death with no guarantee of finding first aid should've been enough of a deterrent. I really wonder what the justification was. Did the saw not work on the handcuffs or the metal object he was attached to?

Spoiler:

Surely that bar would've been easier to saw through than flesh and bone? It looked to only be about finger width or so. I'm just going to have to chalk it up to he was crazy with delirium.

That is what I'm thinking.

Either that or they REALLY wanted to labor the 'dumb white trash' point. Why be hating the living when you're escaping the dead?

I won't even spoiler this: We don't know who it belongs to.

And this episode was kind of a relief. The first episode was epic, and the second was a profound let-down. I'm hoping the first and third are more the tone of the series. And seriously, only 6 episodes in the season? I know it's been renewed for another season, but it will almost certainly be a year before season 2...