Walking dead tv show. (Spoilers)

SpacePPoliceman wrote:
edosan wrote:

Does anyone else think that it's just painful to watch how the writers portray women and minorities?

Yes.

T-Dog's token status, not even getting lines in a lot of eps, got really, really embarrassing, and the quick string of killing off one black guy when another showed up was almost comical.

Poor T-Dog. (Did we ever learn his real name?) Never got a sub-plot, never got a line in most episodes toward the end. Looks like Axel has that role (background accessory/cannon fodder) now.

Re: Michonne, I've read the comics and I know she's supposed to be the strong and silent badass type but a lot of what she does so far seems to assume you're read the comics, so she comes off as annoyingly underdeveloped.

Seems like the only minority we've seen so far that isn't little more than a cartoon or background scenery is Glenn, so I'm hoping Tyrese and Sasha are better (although I bet Sasha gets killed before the end of the season).

Besides, seeing that this takes place in rural Georgia their casting just feels a little unbalanced.

EDIT: I forgot about the guy in the first episode and his son. I wish he could come back. He was cool.

I forgot about the guy in the first episode and his son. I wish he could come back. He was cool.

I actually liked Rick's talking into the walkie talkie "to him" as a good narrative device. Then it just stopped.

Stengah wrote:
Hobbes2099 wrote:

I'm not loving Rick's insanity. I understand he's under so much pressure with the dead wife, the new kid, the confusion of Carl actually obeying orders and what not, but I'd rather see that conclude sooner rather than later.

I think this particular instance was triggered in part by the baby crying when he tried to hold it. I think he fully realized then that it was Shane's baby, not his, and realized he may not feel the same drive to protect her as he does for Carl, and that manifested as Lori staring at him accusingly for not protecting her baby from the newcomers when he was considering listening to Hershel.

Remember the line that was said when Rick picked up the baby? "Looks like she has your eyes. I think." My wife and I believe that Rick realized at that moment when he looked into her eyes that they weren't his eyes, but Shane's eyes. The timely stare into nothing at that moment told us that he knows who the baby's father is. We still thought that the drop into insanity with Lorighost was pretty silly/frustrating though. Especially once they found some survivors to help add some strength to their dwindling group, especially with Daryl leaving.

Datyedyeguy wrote:

We still thought that the drop into insanity with Lorighost was pretty silly/frustrating though. Especially once they found some survivors to help add some strength to their dwindling group, especially with Daryl leaving.

Considering a member of the last group they helped were responsible the situation Lori died in, I can understand why he'd be hesitant to help this one. Especially since we know two of the new group were all ready to kill everyone still at the prison when they were told there was a chance they wouldn't be allowed to stay.

I really liked the last episode, but I would rather have seen something similar to the comic, where Rick and the gang actually push the Governor back. Still, I love how things are escalating.

Terrible shots, one and all..

Chance to hit zombies = 99%

Chance to hit humans = .01%

That was some of the worst shooting I have ever seen...

If anyone collects the action figures you can go to gamestop and they have the brand new series 3 figures, I picked up one of each today.

I am very annoyed by how far they are taking the Rick delusions around his wife. I had no problem with her voice on the phone calls in the prison, and I wouldn't even mind that continuing from time to time, but the visions of his dead wife in a white dress are just overdone and stupid. I am perfectly fine with the idea of Rick coming mentally unhinged over time, but I still feel that with a young son and INFANT under his protection, no amount of mental anguish would push him to just wander around in the damn woods, ignoring everything going on in the prison. It's simply not believable for the character that's been developed to this point.

kstress71 wrote:

I am very annoyed by how far they are taking the Rick delusions around his wife. I had no problem with her voice on the phone calls in the prison, and I wouldn't even mind that continuing from time to time, but the visions of his dead wife in a white dress are just overdone and stupid. I am perfectly fine with the idea of Rick coming mentally unhinged over time, but I still feel that with a young son and INFANT under his protection, no amount of mental anguish would push him to just wander around in the damn woods, ignoring everything going on in the prison. It's simply not believable for the character that's been developed to this point.

It could be possible for anyone to just crack, I am not happy about it but I do find it believable.

Nekroman wrote:
kstress71 wrote:

I am very annoyed by how far they are taking the Rick delusions around his wife. I had no problem with her voice on the phone calls in the prison, and I wouldn't even mind that continuing from time to time, but the visions of his dead wife in a white dress are just overdone and stupid. I am perfectly fine with the idea of Rick coming mentally unhinged over time, but I still feel that with a young son and INFANT under his protection, no amount of mental anguish would push him to just wander around in the damn woods, ignoring everything going on in the prison. It's simply not believable for the character that's been developed to this point.

It could be possible for anyone to just crack, I am not happy about it but I do find it believable.

Plus, that infant? It's not his and he knows it.

kstress71 wrote:

I am very annoyed by how far they are taking the Rick delusions around his wife. I had no problem with her voice on the phone calls in the prison, and I wouldn't even mind that continuing from time to time, but the visions of his dead wife in a white dress are just overdone and stupid. I am perfectly fine with the idea of Rick coming mentally unhinged over time, but I still feel that with a young son and INFANT under his protection, no amount of mental anguish would push him to just wander around in the damn woods, ignoring everything going on in the prison. It's simply not believable for the character that's been developed to this point.

I agree that the way they've handled Rick's insanity has been uneven, but I don't find his going crazy implausible (though I've read the comics, and he goes pretty crazy there as well - though slightly later than it's happening in the TV series).

I also kind of like the way that the pressure of leading the group has totally broken each person to step into that role, within the show. Shane, Rick, and now Glenn is showing some signs in that direction. Trying to protect people (especially people you care about) in a world as dangerous and treacherous as Walking Dead portrays would break most of us fairly quickly, I expect.

Spoiler:

Except Paleocon, who I imagine would become a mid-Atlantic warlord of some variety.

Dimmerswitch wrote:
Spoiler:

Except Paleocon, who I imagine would become a mid-Atlantic warlord of some variety.

Spoiler:

Paleocon for Governor?

Since the TV show is already diverging from the comics, I'll just put out there that I think Merle would have been a much more compelling Governor than the guy they cast.

They would have had to drop the daughter storyline, but I think he would have been a more interesting adversary for our survivors - and he's also a lot more charismatic than the Governor they've written for the show.

Dimmerswitch wrote:

Since the TV show is already diverging from the comics, I'll just put out there that I think Merle would have been a much more compelling Governor than the guy they cast.

They would have had to drop the daughter storyline, but I think he would have been a more interesting adversary for our survivors - and he's also a lot more charismatic than the Governor they've written for the show.

I disagree. I think think having the Governor as played on the TV version has allowed a better point / counterpoint exploration of Rick's leadership style vs the Governor's. Specifically why is one guy the bad guy if they point ultimately do hideous things to protect their group.

Rahmen wrote:
Dimmerswitch wrote:

Since the TV show is already diverging from the comics, I'll just put out there that I think Merle would have been a much more compelling Governor than the guy they cast.

They would have had to drop the daughter storyline, but I think he would have been a more interesting adversary for our survivors - and he's also a lot more charismatic than the Governor they've written for the show.

I disagree. I think think having the Governor as played on the TV version has allowed a better point / counterpoint exploration of Rick's leadership style vs the Governor's. Specifically why is one guy the bad guy if they point ultimately do hideous things to protect their group.

Yeah, I think this Governor's more interesting, even if he's less "fun" than the straight-up maniac from the comic. His motivations feel a bit more natural in the show.

Actually I think Glen's thing wasn't about leading as much as it was about Maggie. They've handled that pretty well, the impotent rage of a husband or boyfriend that couldn't stop that from happening to his loved one and can't say the right words.

Haven't watched this week's episode yet (depending on Mrs. Dim's schedule that may not happen until tomorrow night), but interesting that I'm a minority of one on the Merle-for-Governor front. I just haven't been all that impressed by the Governor as-written for the TV show, and can't tell if that's an acting issue, a directorial problem, or a fault in the writing. I think the actor for Merle has been a lot better, and the writers have found his voice more convincingly, which is part of why I liked the idea of him as Governor.

In any event, curious to see how this week's episode goes with Merle at the prison.

DSGamer wrote:

Actually I think Glen's thing wasn't about leading as much as it was about Maggie. They've handled that pretty well, the impotent rage of a husband or boyfriend that couldn't stop that from happening to his loved one and can't say the right words.

There's an aspect of that as well, but there is a (to me) telling line in Glenn's scene with Herschel. I'm paraphrasing, but it's effectively "with Daryl gone and Rick in Crazyville I’m the next in charge".

I'm with Dimmer.
Merle for governor.

I'd rather see Danny Trejo as the Governor:

IMAGE(http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll278/DLM1POINT5/DTGov.jpg)

and the actor playing Merle as

Spoiler:

Negan.

padriec wrote:

I'd rather see Danny Trejo as the Governor:

IMAGE(http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll278/DLM1POINT5/DTGov.jpg)

and the actor playing Merle as

Spoiler:

Negan.

That would have also been great - I love Danny Trejo, and think he would have done a better job on both the "charisma" and "menace" axes.

Yeah, I don't see the southern charm doucher as being very charismatic.
Seems like a twat.

I'm against the Merle as Governor idea, but I do agree that the acting is terrific and I love to hate that man. Here's my thing - if Merle was the Governor, there really wouldn't be a chance that he and Darryl could reunite. Do you guys think that Merle might become a more compassionate man now that he's seen his brother's scars, and has seen that his brother has grown to care about other people even above the so-called brotherly bond - not to mention the guilt of knowing he walked out on his baby brother and left him to be abused? I really didn't have any hope for a Merle makeover, but now I'm thinking there could be a ray of light. I don't think he'll turn into a prince charming or anything that drastic, but he might just help save this group.

(I'm not a reader of the comics, but I'm also not fearing spoilers that may arise. :))

SillyRabbit wrote:

I'm against the Merle as Governor idea, but I do agree that the acting is terrific and I love to hate that man. Here's my thing - if Merle was the Governor, there really wouldn't be a chance that he and Darryl could reunite. Do you guys think that Merle might become a more compassionate man now that he's seen his brother's scars, and has seen that his brother has grown to care about other people even above the so-called brotherly bond - not to mention the guilt of knowing he walked out on his baby brother and left him to be abused? I really didn't have any hope for a Merle makeover, but now I'm thinking there could be a ray of light. I don't think he'll turn into a prince charming or anything that drastic, but he might just help save this group.

(I'm not a reader of the comics, but I'm also not fearing spoilers that may arise. :))

Even the most spoiler-averse person shouldn't fear spoilers on that point, since Daryl and Merle don't exist in the comics.

I expect that Merle will be a mixed blessing for our band of survivors in the TV show. No doubt the Governor will make him a powerful offer at some critical point to return to Woodbury (if that scene happens I suspect the next moment is one of them being shot), but in the meantime he'll be a huge asset in the survival arena, while proving an equally-large liability on the interpersonal dynamics front.

So, though I still think Merle as Governor would have been more interesting than the route they chose to go, I believe we're in for an entertainingly-bumpy ride for the second half of this season.

Just finished watching the recent episode. Why don't people on the show actually explain to each other what the hell they're doing? Andrea probably would have benefited from learning that her boyfriend almost-raped Maggie (does she even know the reason behind "the raid?") or that the whole "your friends shot first" story was a total lie. The fact that most of the plot points of the show hinge on misunderstandings is getting ridiculous.

edosan wrote:

Just finished watching the recent episode. Why don't people on the show actually explain to each other what the hell they're doing? Andrea probably would have benefited from learning that her boyfriend almost-raped Maggie (does she even know the reason behind "the raid?") or that the whole "your friends shot first" story was a total lie. The fact that most of the plot points of the show hinge on misunderstandings is getting ridiculous.

I agree they're leaning pretty heavily on that, but I also think they're trying to draw a comparison between our hyper-connected world and a world where the only connection between people is face to face.

If Danny Trejo were The Governor, I'd be on Team Woodbury.

The character I'm rolling my eyes the most at:

Spoiler:

Milton. As a kid, he told on everyone.

My husband and I are certain that

Spoiler:

He's going to play a part in causing the Governor's death.

But I'm wondering how Tyreese is going to fit in. I want him to stick around a while. Cutty forever!

concentric wrote:

My husband and I are certain that

Spoiler:

He's going to play a part in causing the Governor's death.

Spoiler:

Where's Lily??? That's what I wanna know

padriec wrote:

I agree they're leaning pretty heavily on that, but I also think they're trying to draw a comparison between our hyper-connected world and a world where the only connection between people is face to face.

Spoiler:

I got confused when Alison showed up at the prison; wasn't sure if Rick and the gang knew of her being alive, let alone that she's the Governor's plaything.