L.A. Noire

Aaron D. wrote:

Just a heads-up, Amazon just added $.99 release-day delivery for Noire. That's on top of the $15 gift card offer.

...
>sigh<

Well, since yesterday they weren't offering that, I've got my order in at the local Gamestop. At least I can walk there...

I live in Canada. We don't get any of these gift cards, pre-order credit, or Amazon Prime. I'm just happy L.A. Noire is being listed at $60, rather than the increasingly common $65 or $70. Chin up.

But that's just life in your godless Socialist wasteland, Grav, you should be used to it. These sorts of things aren't supposed to happen to me!

SpacePPoliceman wrote:

But that's just life in your godless Socialist wasteland, Grav, you should be used to it. These sorts of things aren't supposed to happen to me!

It's true! I'm not even actually buying it, just applying for access to the collectivist copy. "He who does not pwn, neither shall he play" and all that.

Gravey wrote:
SpacePPoliceman wrote:

But that's just life in your godless Socialist wasteland, Grav, you should be used to it. These sorts of things aren't supposed to happen to me!

It's true! I'm not even actually buying it, just applying for access to the collectivist copy. "He who does not pwn, neither shall he play" and all that.

I knew it. Enjoy playing Ottawa Noire, the game where you sit in line for your universal healthcare, drunk on Molson, while you watch reruns of Second City Television and experimental animation shorts funded by the CBC.

Thanks for the heads up on Amazon's shipping change (release day delivery is now free for Prime, too). Can't believe it took them this long to do that for a Rockstar release.

Tagging for release week. I have wanted a 1940s/50's detective game with guns since LA Confidential was in the cinemas. Very excited for this.

amazon pre-ordered! very excited.

First review. Some McElroy dude over at Joystiq. Sounds interesting, but (to me) unfun.

Wow, I just skimmed 8 reviews (all mostly positive) and only found 1 mention of "Uncanny Valley"!!!

Black and white mode? Amazing!

Wait, wut? Black and white mode? I'm so even more sold. This game sounds like it was pretty much made for me.

Chaz wrote:

Wait, wut? Black and white mode? I'm so even more sold. This game sounds like it was pretty much made for me.

Given that I initially brought this idea up around page 4 of this thread I am going to take full credit for the idea getting into the game (with minor credit going to other goodjers). I expect my check within 30 days, thanks.

imbiginjapan wrote:
Chaz wrote:

Wait, wut? Black and white mode? I'm so even more sold. This game sounds like it was pretty much made for me.

Given that I initially brought this idea up around page 4 of this thread I am going to take full credit for the idea getting into the game (with minor credit going to other goodjers). I expect my check within 30 days, thanks.

I was wondering about a black and white mode. Curse you Rockstar for not bringing it out on PC!

I'm so pumped for this right now.

I've been anticipating this game ever since I saw John Noble in one of the trailers. Each additional bit of information just makes me more excited.

A typical case for Cole involves combing multiple scenes looking for scraps of evidence (indicated by a buzz from your controller)

(Quote from the McElroy review linked above)

Just a heads up for those playing on the PS3 that don't own a Dual Shock 3 at this point. It sounds important to the game.

There are probably very few out there where this would be an issue given how long ago the Dual Shock replaced the Six-Axis. However, I know this would have been a problem for me until mid-March as both of the controllers I owned for my original PS3 were Six-Axis. I play primarily on 360 so never felt the need to drop the $$ on a Dual Shock but will be picking up the PS3 version of this due to reports of better performance on that platform. (primarily from the Giant Bomb review)

One of the other reviews mentioned that there's both a vibration and an audio cue, either/both of which can be turned off. I'm gonna try with both off and see how pixel-hunty it gets.

IGN had a Noire developer interview and they said their personal preference with the hint system was to toggle,

Clue Music Hint: ON

Clue Proximity Hint: OFF

They suggested that it was the perfect balance of help without spoilery hand-holding.

From the reviews I checked out it seems to be even more focused on having you watch cutscenes than actual gameplay than Rockstar's previous games =[

I got a different take-away in that action sequences (shooting/car chases) are pushed to the background and on-site detective work / witness interrogation are brought up front.

Likely to be divisive for those looking to rampage around the city, but I couldn't be more excited about the shift in focus.

Aaron D. wrote:

I got a different take-away in that action sequences (shooting/car chases) are pushed to the background and on-site detective work / witness interrogation are brought up front.

Likely to be divisive for those looking to rampage around the city, but I couldn't be more excited about the shift in focus.

I feel the same as you. We should be friends.

Same. As far as I'm concerned, Volition does a much better open world rampage game than Rockstar, so I'd prefer RS focus on their strength - storytelling and character building.

That said, I think this game is mainly a Team Bondi product. A 75/25 split, maybe.

Wishing I'd asked for tomorrow off, urgh. I want to be a toolbag and line up at midnight, play til three, and wake up at 9 and play s'more.

kyrieee wrote:

From the reviews I checked out it seems to be even more focused on having you watch cutscenes than actual gameplay than Rockstar's previous games =[

Here's the thing - this isn't really 'GTA 1947' - it's more like 3D Grim Fandango set in the real world. Or Phoenix Wright with a bit of shooting. You're not passively watching a cutscene or hammering the button to skip it - interacting with the 'cutscene' by observing and taking action is the game. In effect, this would appear to be a quantum leap closer to the idea all those designers of janky 'interactive movie' CD ROM games from the mid-nineties were actually aiming for - a movie you can participate in.

Also, while this is under the Rockstar banner, it's really a Team Bondi game. It's likely sharing enough code with GTA and Red Dead that it looks like it could have the same gameplay emphasis, but from the reviews I've been reading it's definitively not focused on gunplay and driving/riding horses.

Personally I can't wait.

I was ignoring this, because I have never enjoyed Rockstars games past about an hour of playtime. The crappy shooting mechanics usually killed it for me.

I've read nothing about this game until I just read the Giant Bomb review.. I think I will be picking it up tomorrow. Sounds like a true detective game, without too much of the crappy action bits from Rockstar.

I loved the crime investigation bits from Condemned: Criminal Origins.

I gave in; the reviews pushed me over. I want to support this kind of progression in video game production and knowing it's a quality effort made the decision easy for me. Plus, besides kid-friendly games, this is one title I could see my family not go immediately to their negative perception of vidja games.

cyrax wrote:

I gave in; the reviews pushed me over. I want to support this kind of progression in video game production and knowing it's a quality effort made the decision easy for me. Plus, besides kid-friendly games, this is one title I could see my family not go immediately to their negative perception of vidja games.

This.

I'm excited to play this in front of my dad.

I won't believe Justin McElroy played enough of the game without conclusive evidence. LET'S SEE A COPY OF THE GAMERTAG, MCELROY.

I'm happy to hear about the customizable hint system. I wonder if the black-and-white mode is an actual cinematographical noire b&w, or just a grayscale filter.

My wife loves detective shows. I hope she will sit, watch, and participate in this one.

Well that's lame. Amazon didn't automatically upgrade my 2-day-air shipping method to "release day" when that became free for all Prime members.