Come fellow firearm owners, we must chat.

I get that folks are hoarding military calibers because they are afraid of where all this post-Sandy Point legislation is going to take us, but is anyone really talking about legislation on 22lr? Where is this run on rimfire coming from?

I have no answer either. I have always shot more 22 than anything and as such try to keep 3-4000 around. Hopefully this will all blow over soon. I am reluctant to go shoot because I am afraid I will not be able to replace what I shoot.

I guess I will be shooting a lot of .357, .44 and 300bk since those are what I have the most reloading components for.

In my neck of the woods, 22LR is still sporadically available, while 9mm Para is solidly gone for good, just like 223/5.56.

Gorilla.800.lbs wrote:

In my neck of the woods, 22LR is still sporadically available, while 9mm Para is solidly gone for good, just like 223/5.56.

Funny. I'm not having any trouble getting .223. Hmm.

I've noticed the disappearing .22lr and don't have any reasonable explanation for it either.

That said, since my grandfather passed away a couple years ago we've so far discovered roughly 13,000 rounds of .22lr the he had just kind of all over the place in his house. Every time they dig through another box from that property, there's another brick of .22lr in it. It was everywhere.

I've got more of it than I know what to do with.

Thin_J wrote:

Road-trip to Thin_J's Slap & Tickle

I am in!

fishdude wrote:

I am not a Glock guy. Is there that much difference between the Gen 3 and Gen 4?

Well, my 23 is a "Gen 2" from the early 90's, so I wouldn't really know. I think the main differences are ergonomic rather than performance related, such as the replaceable backstrap and ambidextrous magazine release. They're still bricks though - solid, accurate, and reliable, but ugly and not particularly comfortable to shoot.

What ThinJ wrote.....

That is how my family will feel when they did through my house.

Aetius said:

I shot one of the Gen 1 guns way back when. It felt indestructible. I was way too enamored with my newly bought 1911 to care about it though.

Aside from old fashioned iron guns like the 1911 and HP35 (and to an extent the very retro CZ75), handguns aren't terribly comfortable to shoot as a rule. Modern materials make them considerably lighter than their older counterparts and the escalation of firepower to larger and larger calibers means more felt recoil overall. It also doesn't help that the demand for double digit round counts means grip tend to be a bit wonky ergonomically.

It's all about weight and firepower now. And to that end, I guess it can be said that the aim of the handgun manufacturer isn't to make something comfortable. It is to make something comforting.

All that said, one of the reasons I particularly like my USP45 is that they have done a remarkable job with both ergonomics and design to address the issue of felt recoil. I just wish the company wasn't run by complete knob ends.

Paleocon wrote:

I get that folks are hoarding military calibers because they are afraid of where all this post-Sandy Point legislation is going to take us, but is anyone really talking about legislation on 22lr? Where is this run on rimfire coming from?

Originally, the practical explanation seemed to be high demand for .22LR as training ammo to conserve potentially hard to replace centerfire calibers. Also, the true pessimists may have seen .22LR as one of the few rifle and handgun ammo calibers to survive future worst case legislation. Of course, things have now progressed to the point where with a little effort you can get pretty much any popular ammo you want *except* .22LR cartridges. For some reason tulip bulbs keep coming to mind, which keeps me from buying into the +.35 cent per round pricing I'm seeing online for often less than desirable brands/grades of .22LR ammo.

It is especially hard on people who shoot higher grades of 22 ammo. It was already about $17/box for Lapua Midas to shoot benchrest. That stuff is more than 45acp now. I shoot some silhouette and both my rifle and pistol like Wolf Match Target. I was paying $35/brick before. I have seen it for over $150 now.

This is also why I have put my desire to shoot Appleseed on hold.

Picked up a new Springfield XDs in .45 ACP to go along with my trusty 9mm. Now I can indulge my wife, and we can go to the range together sometime...assuming I can ever find the ammo. LOL.

Woohoo! Looks like some range time is finally in my future thanks to some recent successful ammo purchases.

This experience, however, has convinced me of the wisdom of also owning firearms chambered for one of the less popular/common calibers on the market.

Yeah, you practically have to make your own for 9mm right now. :-p

Out of curiosity I took a look at the ammo case while the wife and I were at Walmart today. I'd have been OK if I owned a 28 gauge shotgun.

ChipRMonk wrote:

Yeah, you practically have to make your own for 9mm right now. :-p

Yeah. 9mm is stupid right now. Makes no sense. One local shop that i never use for anything is charging $40 a box for basic Winchester FMJ.

I've just decided I'm not going to the range until this mess is over with.

Thin_J wrote:
ChipRMonk wrote:

Yeah, you practically have to make your own for 9mm right now. :-p

Yeah. 9mm is stupid right now. Makes no sense. One local shop that i never use for anything is charging $40 a box for basic Winchester FMJ.

I've just decided I'm not going to the range until this mess is over with.

$40?? At those prices, they should call it Winchester FML.

I might have to get a Tokarev to start shooting exotic Russian crap.

Paleocon wrote:
Thin_J wrote:
ChipRMonk wrote:

Yeah, you practically have to make your own for 9mm right now. :-p

Yeah. 9mm is stupid right now. Makes no sense. One local shop that i never use for anything is charging $40 a box for basic Winchester FMJ.

I've just decided I'm not going to the range until this mess is over with.

$40?? At those prices, they should call it Winchester FML.

I might have to get a Tokarev to start shooting exotic Russian crap.

Yeah. It's this dump called Mark's. He overprices everything to start with really, but the price gouging on ammo he's doing is extravagant even for him. Worst gun shop I've ever been in.

There is way too much of that going on right now. I hate it, but it is tempting to sell some of the excess I have and fund another project. I am likely selling 2 of my 4 AR, both in .223, because I am in love with 300bk. That leaves me a 300bk and a 22lr. When I sell the .223's, it will leave me with several thousand rounds I won't need. I still have a pair of Savage bolt guns in .223, but they both shoot hand loads. As much as I hate the gougers out there, I may become one of them.

I need a Sig Scorpion to mount my new SWR Octane 45 on.

Thin_J wrote:
Paleocon wrote:
Thin_J wrote:
ChipRMonk wrote:

Yeah, you practically have to make your own for 9mm right now. :-p

Yeah. 9mm is stupid right now. Makes no sense. One local shop that i never use for anything is charging $40 a box for basic Winchester FMJ.

I've just decided I'm not going to the range until this mess is over with.

$40?? At those prices, they should call it Winchester FML.

I might have to get a Tokarev to start shooting exotic Russian crap.

Yeah. It's this dump called Mark's. He overprices everything to start with really, but the price gouging on ammo he's doing is extravagant even for him. Worst gun shop I've ever been in.

Yeah, the price gouging online is almost comical to watch at this point.

A few of my large and local brick and mortar retailers are still offering at least limited quantities of the more common ammo at reasonable prices. Picked up 100 rounds of Federal 9mm FMJ for about .28 cents a round just the other day which isn't bad. As we all know, it sells out crazy fast. My favorite store doesn't even bother to stock their shelves with the daily deliveries. They literally pile the boxes and cases up in the center of the store on folding tables at the beginning of the day and it's all gone in about an hour, even with strict per customer quantity limits. Still a pita.

Interestingly, availability of .45ACP, .380, 10mm auto, and even .357 Sig is pretty good right now.

Hmm. I have 1000 rounds of Black Hills 5.56 I can probably sell right now. It might be an idea to arbitrage with the expectation that prices will return to sanity levels in the next year or so.

My thinking as well. I have 1k of M855, 1k of Privi M193, 1500 Federal Black box M193, maybe 500 Wolf SHTF and a .50 can that is about half full of loose ammo. I am sure I am forgetting some. I have 2500 pieces of sorted and polished Lake City brass waiting to be loaded as well.

At current pricing, that buys the Sig I want.

Anyone here have a Kimber model 82 .22LR target rifle? Since an Anschutz smallbore isn't a good match for either my budget or interest level, the Kimber seems like the right low cost entry point for me. Opinions good or bad welcomed.

I'm currently going back and forth with myself on the idea of selling my AR. I know I can get more than double my money out of it. I could finish off my car loan with that much money.

Thin_J wrote:

I'm currently going back and forth with myself on the idea of selling my AR. I know I can get more than double my money out of it. I could finish off my car loan with that much money.

Few things in life will make you happier than paying off that car loan. If you won't miss the AR, I'd cash in on the craziness while it lasts.

I have an Anschutz and a CZ 452 and shoot silhouette with both. Never shot a Kimber, but they are well known shooters.

What do you want to do with it? You might also look at the Weatherby MkXXII. They don't make them anymore, but they are an Anschutz 64 barreled action in a Weatherby stock.

Does anyone here shoot trap? I have a question that I saw being asked to death on internet -- can you have fun with a run-of-the-mill 870 or 500 and a 20" barrel? I wonder if any Goojers have personal experiences in this.

I am interested in getting into the game on the cheap, so that I could pick maybe an HD version of 870 and an extra barrel, and have fun with friends at a trap range nearby now and then.

I shoot trap/skeet/sporting clays socially with friends. For us it is practice for dove season. You can have plenty of fun, but the 20" barrel will greatly limit you. If you don't want an entirely new gun, get a new barrel for the existing gun. If you are buying a new gun anyway, get the new Mossberg that has a 18" defense barrel and a 26-28" hunting barrel.

You can also shoot handicap trap. Pretty self defining.

Gorilla, does your shotgun have a removable choke?