The Joys Of Programming

Same, and top 2%. I still get comments saying they're downvoting a CSS answer because it doesn't work or isn't the current idiomatic way to do it. Sir, it was a solution for a question about IE6 in 2009, and I invite you to look at a calendar.

*Legion* wrote:
Gremlin wrote:

The horrifying thing is that despite all of that Stack Overflow is still better than what we used to have.

How dare you speak that way of Expert Sex Change.

Haha. I spent like 20 minutes last night trying to think of expertsexchange, because yeah, there are some things about SO that annoy me, but at least I don't have to pay to view the answers and I can't think of the last time that I couldn't find what I needed on SO or at least find something that leads me in the right direction.

Advent of Code 2020 has begun today. Anyone playing?

merphle wrote:

Advent of Code 2020 has begun today. Anyone playing?

Ooooh, never heard of it, but reminds me of Google Code Jams which I used to do. This looks fun!

Mixolyde wrote:
merphle wrote:

Advent of Code 2020 has begun today. Anyone playing?

Ooooh, never heard of it, but reminds me of Google Code Jams which I used to do. This looks fun!

I've been doing it, but I kind of rage quit at part 2 of today's problem.

Spoiler:

I feel like it'a tedious to code those business rules and isn't a challenge, just busy work.

I've got all 8 stars so far. The second part of today's was indeed a bit tedious, but there was a lot of rules repetition - 3 of them were basically the same, and another two were similarly similar.

merphle wrote:

I've got all 8 stars so far. The second part of today's was indeed a bit tedious, but there was a lot of rules repetition - 3 of them were basically the same, and another two were similarly similar.

Yeah, I just went back and did it. I now have 8 stars as well.

I feel like they redeemed themselves today...I enjoyed the binary puzzle.

Agreed. It was great fun to discover the a-ha moment, and much less tedious to implement. Anyone willing to post their code (behind spoilers) for these AOC puzzles?

Spoiler:

I'm using q.

part 1: q)max 2 sv'("BFRL"!1010b)@read0`5.txt 996 part 2: q)-1+x[where 2=deltas x:asc 2 sv'("BFRL"!1010b)@read0`5.txt] ,671

I'd like to level up my spreadsheet skills so I've been tackling the challenges with Google Sheets*.

At the moment I have all twelve stars and the experience has been enlightening.

Just when I think I've hit the wall and need to reach for a programming language, I find some function or approach that opens the door.

The only exception is Day 1 Part 2 -- I took the approach of {{spoiler-1}}.

I'm keen to see how far I can get with just a spreadsheet, but the jig's probably up if/when we encounter something recursive.

(* And a little bit of input massaging with plain text, usually in the form of adjusting new lines with a few choice find/replace ops.)

Spoiler: spoiler-1

using a database because a double cross-join seemed like a natural and simple approach

Haha, that's a brilliant idea Ted

What was that about recursion?

merphle wrote:

What was that about recursion?

Yeah, I had to go and open my big mouth.

merphle wrote:

What was that about recursion?

What was that about recursion?

Mixolyde wrote:
merphle wrote:

What was that about recursion?

What was that about recursion?

What was that about recursion?

An unhandled exception of type 'System.StackOverflowException' occurred in System.GWJ.dll

Today's AOC puzzle was fun. I wasn't able (technically: didn't bother trying) to condense it down to a nice one-liner in q, but it was still enjoyable to think about and solve.

Dev and QA...

Oldie but goodie: The code that took America to the moon was just published to GitHub, and it’s like a 1960s time capsule.

Github repo.

I could not imagine having to do that by hand, as a team, 52 years or more ago.

Was going to say I'd seen that before. But yeah it's still cool

https://matklad.github.io//2021/02/0...

A case for adding an ARCHITECTURE.md file to your project.

Mixolyde wrote:

https://matklad.github.io//2021/02/0...

A case for adding an ARCHITECTURE.md file to your project.

I like that idea a lot.

I hope somebody randomly comes along and writes one for me

IMAGE(https://i.redd.it/0cs1i1vx1yf61.png)

I made up a JS puzzle, and twitter found it cute, so I thought I'd post it here:

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/pnRDdsN.jpg)

In the two functions pictured, B runs ~3x slower than A, even though the only difference between them is some code that's prefixed by "if (false)". The puzzle is, why?

fenomas wrote:

I made up a JS puzzle, and twitter found it cute, so I thought I'd post it here:

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/pnRDdsN.jpg)

In the two functions pictured, B runs ~3x slower than A, even though the only difference between them is some code that's prefixed by "if (false)". The puzzle is, why?

JS is a garbage language?

A guess pulled out of my ass: I'm guessing the presence of either the setTimeout or the lambda function within prevents some optimization or JIT compilation or something of the entire B() function that the A() function enjoys due to the absence of them.

Mixolyde wrote:

JS is a garbage language?

IMAGE(https://media1.tenor.com/images/fb98edc5b08d8e64141efd0a56aa9470/tenor.gif)

fenomas wrote:
Mixolyde wrote:

JS is a garbage language?

IMAGE(https://media1.tenor.com/images/fb98edc5b08d8e64141efd0a56aa9470/tenor.gif)

No judgment on people forced to use it. We all gotta eat.

Have you tried Dart?

/unsubscribe