Vanquish - A Shinji Mikami joint.

That's not how it worked, though. Your weapons automatically upgraded when you picked up a weapon for which you had full ammo. In other words, you could only upgrade stuff you weren't using. I ended up just waiting to see two of the same weapon drop in the same area so I could grab one, upgrade it, and switch back.

LobsterMobster wrote:

The only thing I don't like about Vanquish is how your weapons downgrade if you die (you guys know me, I want my weapons maxed and I want them maxed forever!).

That is the only thing I don't like about it.

(unless you play on Easy like a wuss which of course I would never do)

Uh, yeah, I mean, I hated that too.

I keep looking at Binary Domain and wondering if that will split the difference between Gears of War and Vanquish.

I owe this game some more time. I adored it but once I'd finished it though I felt compelled to jump right back in for round 2, I didn't. Maybe time off is what I needed.

Yes, I enjoyed the downgrade mechanic as reminiscent of a shmup, but the upgrade mechanic was really stupid.
Although in a way it makes sense.
If you're not using something, maybe it's because you don't like it so they're trying to tempt you to use it by making it stronger?
I still would have greatly preferred to make my current weapon more badass, thank you.
I always seem to run out of ammo too.

RolandofGilead wrote:

Yes, I enjoyed the downgrade mechanic as reminiscent of a shmup, but the upgrade mechanic was really stupid.
Although in a way it makes sense.
If you're not using something, maybe it's because you don't like it so they're trying to tempt you to use it by making it stronger?
I still would have greatly preferred to make my current weapon more badass, thank you.
I always seem to run out of ammo too.

Ah, but if you upgrade then you can hold more ammo! Plus you never run out of ammo on weapons you don't use!

About to fire this up for the first time. Any tips for a newbie starting on hard?

ClockworkHouse wrote:

About to fire this up for the first time. Any tips for a newbie starting on hard?

I am going to start on hard as well, and then do a 2nd playthrough on casual to clean up. My standard advice is to not suck.

Man, I started on Normal. You guys are jerks going out of your way to make me look bad.

LobsterMobster wrote:

That's not how it worked, though. Your weapons automatically upgraded when you picked up a weapon for which you had full ammo. In other words, you could only upgrade stuff you weren't using. I ended up just waiting to see two of the same weapon drop in the same area so I could grab one, upgrade it, and switch back.

Doh! just noticed I typo'd 'armor' for 'ammo' in my previous post. Is there a Freudian equivalent of auto-correct?

ClockworkHouse wrote:

About to fire this up for the first time. Any tips for a newbie starting on hard?

Definitely do the tutorial. Also, I would start on normal as it's a game that gets better as you become more familiar with it's mechanics. By playing on normal you will be more inclined to try crazy stuff instead of just sitting behind cover and playing it like Gears.

True. I would start with the easier difficulty until you get a sense of the timing of your boost power. That stays constant throughout difficulty levels and you'll need to be able to use it well.

It is a real shame that this game didn't do too well, although is 450k in sales really that bad? I'm sure that a good deal of money was spent to make this game, but I have to think that 450k in sales would at least make a profit.

Gimpy_Butzke wrote:

It is a real shame that this game didn't do too well, although is 450k in sales really that bad? I'm sure that a good deal of money was spent to make this game, but I have to think that 450k in sales would at least make a profit.

Over half of those probably came at $20, though.

Blind_Evil wrote:
Gimpy_Butzke wrote:

It is a real shame that this game didn't do too well, although is 450k in sales really that bad? I'm sure that a good deal of money was spent to make this game, but I have to think that 450k in sales would at least make a profit.

Over half of those probably came at $20, though.

I bought my copy brand new for I think 6 bucks.

gregrampage wrote:
Blind_Evil wrote:
Gimpy_Butzke wrote:

It is a real shame that this game didn't do too well, although is 450k in sales really that bad? I'm sure that a good deal of money was spent to make this game, but I have to think that 450k in sales would at least make a profit.

Over half of those probably came at $20, though.

I bought my copy brand new for I think 6 bucks.

Got mine for 10.

It sold close to a million copies, if Wikipedia is to be believed.

It's more a matter of how much it sold the first week it was out. No one cares too much about two weeks to a month after these days, unless you're trying to go for some record.

On that note, I still find it amazing that at the very start of this generation, Dead Rising selling 500,000 in its first week at launch was considered a major success, more than Capcom expected, but now a game like Vanquish or Homefront approach that number (allegedly) in a week, or even surpass it, and it is considered a failure.

Blind_Evil wrote:

Over half of those probably came at $20, though.

True, also a copy sold at $20 isn't $20 to the developer/publisher. There's an entire distribution network that has to get paid to get the game on the shelf and I have no clue how much is left to give to the dev/pubs.

ccesarano wrote:

It's more a matter of how much it sold the first week it was out. No one cares too much about two weeks to a month after these days, unless you're trying to go for some record.

On that note, I still find it amazing that at the very start of this generation, Dead Rising selling 500,000 in its first week at launch was considered a major success, more than Capcom expected, but now a game like Vanquish or Homefront approach that number (allegedly) in a week, or even surpass it, and it is considered a failure.

Yeah, I imagine that WB Games is going to expect the next game from supergiant games to outsell Bastion in the first week. If it doesn't I bet WB will view it as a failure.

A lot of things can influence the expected sales numbers. If the next Modern Warfare doesn't even have 1 million preorders I guarantee that it will be viewed as a failure.

I started this up over the weekend and stalled out at the first boss. I'll give this another shot at some point, but it was pretty easy to get distracted by Majin instead.

I don't dislike it. It's a really well done game, maybe even a great one, and I completely respect that. My problem is that I don't really understand it and that I'm really bad at it. Even with the difficulty dropped down to Casual, I'm constantly getting killed. More than that, though, is that I'm getting completely overwhelmed: there's so much going on all around my character and at such a pace that I can't keep up.

In some interview or another, maybe on the GWJ CC, Ken Levine talked about how while designing Bioshock Infinite, they've tried to be very cognizant of what they call "player RAM," the amount of information about a scenario that players can hold in their heads at once. I just don't think I have enough RAM for a game like Vanquish. I easily lose track of where enemies are on the battlefield, where my character is in relation to the enemy, and so forth. I keep getting blown to bits by enemies to the side of me and behind me that I should have been more aware of. It reminds me, in some ways, of multiplayer shooters, which I'm also bad at for the same reasons. I'm not very good at keeping the whole arena in mind, keeping track of opponents and remembering to look around for them, so I mainly just help people boost their K:D ratios.

Like I said: I think this is a good game, and I'll take another swing at it, but I'm beginning to suspect that it might not be the game for me.

One of the things that tripped me up at first is that the baddies move! They aren't like the Locust who to pick at you and then lumber around the cover, they charge out to flank you and I wound up being shot in the back until I learned to rock back and forth through the environments, advancing then withdrawing to clean up and so on.

gains wrote:

One of the things that tripped me up at first is that the baddies move! They aren't like the Locust who to pick at you and then lumber around the cover, they charge out to flank you and I wound up being shot in the back until I learned to rock back and forth through the environments, advancing then withdrawing to clean up and so on.

Yeah, this game is almost more like a stick-and-move hack-and-slash game as far as how you should approach it. You really can't sit still in one place for long at all.

But since you were playing the underrated delight that is Majin you get brownie points for joining the choir.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

I started this up over the weekend and stalled out at the first boss. I'll give this another shot at some point, but it was pretty easy to get distracted by Majin instead.

I don't dislike it. It's a really well done game, maybe even a great one, and I completely respect that. My problem is that I don't really understand it and that I'm really bad at it. Even with the difficulty dropped down to Casual, I'm constantly getting killed. More than that, though, is that I'm getting completely overwhelmed: there's so much going on all around my character and at such a pace that I can't keep up.

In some interview or another, maybe on the GWJ CC, Ken Levine talked about how while designing Bioshock Infinite, they've tried to be very cognizant of what they call "player RAM," the amount of information about a scenario that players can hold in their heads at once. I just don't think I have enough RAM for a game like Vanquish. I easily lose track of where enemies are on the battlefield, where my character is in relation to the enemy, and so forth. I keep getting blown to bits by enemies to the side of me and behind me that I should have been more aware of. It reminds me, in some ways, of multiplayer shooters, which I'm also bad at for the same reasons. I'm not very good at keeping the whole arena in mind, keeping track of opponents and remembering to look around for them, so I mainly just help people boost their K:D ratios.

Like I said: I think this is a good game, and I'll take another swing at it, but I'm beginning to suspect that it might not be the game for me.

My advice would be to try and stay near the edge of the areas you are in to minimize the angles that you have to cover. There aren't too many occasions where running into the center guns blazing worked for me. I typically stayed at the edges and tried to move to any area that looked like it provided good cover as I whittled down the waves of enemies.

gains wrote:

I keep looking at Binary Domain and wondering if that will split the difference between Gears of War and Vanquish.

I owe this game some more time. I adored it but once I'd finished it though I felt compelled to jump right back in for round 2, I didn't. Maybe time off is what I needed.

I played Binary Domain at Eurogamer last year. It wasn't good. Hopefully, that was an early build or something, but graphically it was average at best, enemy design was poor and voice acting was criminal.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

I don't dislike it. It's a really well done game, maybe even a great one, and I completely respect that. My problem is that I don't really understand it and that I'm really bad at it. Even with the difficulty dropped down to Casual, I'm constantly getting killed. More than that, though, is that I'm getting completely overwhelmed: there's so much going on all around my character and at such a pace that I can't keep up.

Like I said: I think this is a good game, and I'll take another swing at it, but I'm beginning to suspect that it might not be the game for me.

Vanquish is definitely a much faster moving game than Gears or other pop n' stop shooters. The added complexity of the mechanics can be ignored in the early portions of the game at least. There are some advanced techniques that can make you play better and enrich the experience but it's not critical that you use them.

I think you can play the game well just staying behind cover and boost sliding to another piece of cover once in a while. I may be remembering the game wrong since it's been a while since I played it. It's just that wild use of the special abilities drains your energy core very quickly and that is always a bad situation.

Sliding is still essential for those boss fights, so at least try to get a handle on that!

If the first boss fight is from the demo, then to me, the key to beating him was always watching out for when he was launching missiles or using that laser beam. If he was doing neither, then screw shooting his legs and arms. Slow down time and shoot at his core.

At least, for the first half. The second half requires you shoot some of those other limbs to access the core.

Otherwise, I can't add anything more than what has already been said. I stick close to walls, but am still always on the move. When the huge guys show up, I'll toss out an EMP grenade and boost-kick the giant f*cker before shooting him down.

With the exception of the large enemies, the foes don't really take all that long to kill. Still, I've died a few times myself, but not enough that I need to turn the difficulty down. I think it's just adapting to the fast pace style. The map isn't built to specifically provide the player with flanking positions or paths. It's built large so the player can move anywhere, but so can the enemy.

Oh, and those big stilt mech things? A single boost-kick to them knocks the leg out and eliminates them. Sure, you can actually use the thing if you shoot down one of the robots piloting it, but it doesn't really last long enough to be worth the effort. Just kick it down and grab some cover between a wall and a hard place.

So I'm in Act 2, and I'm at that part where you have to fight two of the boss from the beginning of the game.

It's not a lot of fun.

I gave the Rocket Launcher a try, but it refuses to lock on to the spider-bot's f*cking core. I don't know what it is locking onto, but it's not locking onto what I want.

The LFE Gun was awesome on two smaller enemies that it blew away easy. Then I had to fight one of them larger fellows, and even though the entire purple ball of energy knocked him on his ass, it didn't even deal half the damage a single shotgun blast would. Not even close. So I'm looking for something better than the Heavy Machine gun, which I honestly think deals less DPS than the regular Assault Rifle.

Either way, whittling down this f*cker's core is a bitch without a proper heavy duty weapon that can be launched from a distance (and actually aim for the core instead of something else like the rocket launcher).

Thanks for the head's up on Binary Domain. I'll save the money for Syndicate or Mass Effect 3.

I think I have an advantage over others because I got the pre-order bonus laser cannon. It has no ammo but draws from your boost meter instead. Still it has no recoil, is pin-point accurate and hits like a truck.

gains wrote:

Thanks for the head's up on Binary Domain. I'll save the money for Syndicate or Mass Effect 3.

I think I have an advantage over others because I got the pre-order bonus laser cannon. It has no ammo but draws from your boost meter instead. Still it has no recoil, is pin-point accurate and hits like a truck.

I bought the weapons as dlc. I think they're just about the only ones I use.

This seems to be one of those games where I do well when I first jump in, but the longer I play the more likely I am to die.

Last night was a perfect case, as I started right on a boss fight filled with big guys wanting to kill me, and took it all out in one try no death.

I finished trying to tackle a tank and dying twice.

I'm somewhere in the start of Act 3, if that helps provide any context.

Also, it feels like the game really doesn't want me to be using assault rifles and shotguns anymore, even though I am really not a fan of the other weapons. Finding ammunition is becoming a chore.

Whoo! Double post!

Final results:
Space Score: 9620
Total Score: 261070
Mission Time: 5:01:27
Cover Usage: 21.13%
Distance Traveled: 38219
Munitions Fired: 35929
Deaths: 31
Confirmed Friendlies K.I.A.: 525
Wounded Friendlies Assisted: 30
Confirmed Kills: 1031
Pangloss Statues Destroyed: 15
Developers Destroyed: 76