Vanquish - A Shinji Mikami joint.

Blind_Evil wrote:
Jonman wrote:
Garden Ninja wrote:

I thought the demo was great.

I have it pre-ordered from Amazon, but yeah, no coupon or anything else from it. However, I have a $10 credit from Dead Rising 2 because the pre-order bonus (Avatar items, I think) haven't shown up yet, plus Fable III has a $20 credit. Unless Vanquish gets a pre-order deal in the next couple of weeks, I'll probably cancel the pre-order and use the the $30 credit towards it the following week. I still get to play it at launch, but at half the price.

Careful - I've been caught out with this before - you can only apply one promotional credit to a purchase with Amazon. So you'll use your $20 credit against one game, and the $10 credit against another.

Also, they have no way that you can see what promotional credits you have on your account (unless something's changed recently).

I used both a 10 and 20 dollar credit on Fable 2.

I did the same thing. I had the original $10 from Dead Rising 2 (the additional $10 was a different thing, on top of that) and $20 from Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, and applied them both to Fable 3. However, you can only apply credit at checkout, so I had to cancel the Fable 3 pre-order, and re-add it with the credits.

First review I've seen is in, IGN's Ryan Clements scores it an 8.5.

He praises the visuals, gunplay and settings. His complaints are a flat plot and characters (*gasp*) and sometimes frustrating difficulty.

He says the campaign will last 6-7 hours, which is long enough for me considering how frenetically the game plays. I did not know there is something akin to horde mode, pitting you against endless waves of enemies in a score-attack fashion. Looking forward to getting into that.

I'll have impressions after I play it tomorrow afternoon.

Is this Horde-esque mode single player or multi?

ccesarano wrote:

Is this Horde-esque mode single player or multi?

There's no multiplayer for this game.

Just picked it up from KMart with the uber deal (picked up Enslaved for a friend). I can't wait to overload my brain with it's insanity and speed tonight. I love Platinum Games for bringing Gamey games back!

Launch Trailer

Garden Ninja wrote:
Blind_Evil wrote:
Jonman wrote:
Garden Ninja wrote:

I thought the demo was great.

I have it pre-ordered from Amazon, but yeah, no coupon or anything else from it. However, I have a $10 credit from Dead Rising 2 because the pre-order bonus (Avatar items, I think) haven't shown up yet, plus Fable III has a $20 credit. Unless Vanquish gets a pre-order deal in the next couple of weeks, I'll probably cancel the pre-order and use the the $30 credit towards it the following week. I still get to play it at launch, but at half the price.

Careful - I've been caught out with this before - you can only apply one promotional credit to a purchase with Amazon. So you'll use your $20 credit against one game, and the $10 credit against another.

Also, they have no way that you can see what promotional credits you have on your account (unless something's changed recently).

I used both a 10 and 20 dollar credit on Fable 2.

I did the same thing. I had the original $10 from Dead Rising 2 (the additional $10 was a different thing, on top of that) and $20 from Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, and applied them both to Fable 3. However, you can only apply credit at checkout, so I had to cancel the Fable 3 pre-order, and re-add it with the credits.

Fair enough. Looks like my complaint to them got them to change the system then

Great reviews all around. Even Gamespot gave it a 9. It sounds a bit short, so I'll probably settle for a rental, but I'm looking forward to playing this soon.

Jonman wrote:

Fair enough. Looks like my complaint to them got them to change the system then

You were spot on though, about not being able to see what promotional credits you have. I don't know why they do that, but they hide all promotional credit totals, including mp3, games, Amazon video on demand, you name it.

I keep a spreadsheet of when I got one, it's expiration date, when I spent it, etc.

Initial impressions after 2 acts.

- The action is so damn intense.
- Seriously, one hour of Vanquish was overload because it was so intense. I had to take a break between acts.
- Controls are fantastic but they take a bit to learn. Redoing the tutorial that I played in the demo helped.
- I used to think Gears was the Contra of this generation but Vanquish embraces it's shooter mechanics even more. It's non stop shooting action. It's pretty crazy.
- Story is nonsensical and ridiculous.
- The characters/story/dialogue are just bad. It could be satire but I doubt it.
- Similar to Bayonetta it's all about the mechanics and gameplay. When your on in Vanquish/Bayonetta you feel so damn awesome, like you are executing a beautiful ballet of violence.

I also found this little Easter egg while playing:

IMAGE(http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu231/BNoice/mikami.png)

Initial impressions after 2 acts.

- The action is so damn intense.
- Seriously, one hour of Vanquish was overload because it was so intense. I had to take a break between acts.
- Controls are fantastic but they take a bit to learn. Redoing the tutorial that I played in the demo helped.
- I used to think Gears was the Contra of this generation but Vanquish embraces it's shooter mechanics even more. It's non stop shooting action. It's pretty crazy.
- Story is nonsensical and ridiculous.
- The characters/story/dialogue are just bad. It could be satire but I doubt it.
- Similar to Bayonetta it's all about the mechanics and gameplay. When your on in Vanquish/Bayonetta you feel so damn awesome, like you are executing a beautiful ballet of violence.

You've convinced me.

BNice, let Sega and Platinum know that you just made them a sale.

This game is so damn amazing.

Any other f*ckin' morons playing on hard or is it just me?

BNice pretty much hit all the spots.

One thing, though. The opening cutscene was one of the more disturbing things I've seen in a game. Pretty intense.

I can't praise the visuals enough. There is so much going on at all times. When you're in slow motion you can see bullets spinning, all the little buttons and beacons, Sam's suit.. Crazy. It reminds me of seeing Metroid Prime for the first time, back in 2002. This looks like what I imagine games would look like in 2014.

I need to get myself a 360 fairly soon. These bat sh*t games don't get to PC often enough.

damn you guys. i bought it!

Things I've learned:

- If you are in cover and press LB Sam pulls out a cigarette, lights it, takes a puff and then throws it out. The robots momentarily shoot the cigarette
- The disc gun is pretty meh but if you melee with it it doesn't use any energy (and you buzz robot's faces off)
- If you die, the gun you currently have equipped is downgraded.
- You can switch guns mid fire. This is great to bust out while in ARS mode.
- Changing the voice language lightens up the bad voice acting/story/characters.
- I like to write in bullet points.
- Doing stuff like this never gets old.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

BNice, let Sega and Platinum know that you just made them a sale.

Ha! They need all the help they can get. I have a feeling this game is going to bomb really hard. It's a shame but it seems like people don't like pure action games anymore.

Damn, I need to get this thing. That looks absolutely insane.

It has a Japanese language setting? Sweet. I was pretty relieved to find that Lost Odyssey had it, and so far I'm quite satisfied. I can always tell when American voice acting is bad, but Japanese voice acting just sounds like moon speak. I can't tell the difference!

Just picked this up and played the first Act. I am in love. I love that they usually give you some time after a big fight to run around and collect upgrades. The ammo upgrade system is genius, and for those that don't know when you grab ammo for a gun you're full on, it counts as an upgrade, at least partially I think. I usually go around after a battle and combine ammo/upgrade everything lying around. It's a nice balance because you can use your upgrades on the guns your using, but it sets up a natural progression for the ones you're not.

That video was really cool, BNice. I thought I was badass because I went from backflip and killed two guys mid-air, but chaining all that badassery together was really impressive.

Still chugging along on hard. At first it was extremely frustrating, but I've really come a long way. This game does a good job of requiring you use the technical moves, instead of them just being fluff. I still hit a bottle neck on occasion where I'll die 2-4 times, but it's no worse than Gears on insane.

Small hint: I'm not sure anyone else got the preorder DLC, but if you did the laser cannon is a pretty nifty weapon to keep on hand at all times. It doesn't have ammo, so every time one appears you will be getting an upgrade for it. Makes it potentially very powerful early on, and eases the acquisition of the achievement to fully upgrade a weapon.

Blind_Evil wrote:

That video was really cool, BNice. I thought I was badass because I went from backflip and killed two guys mid-air, but chaining all that badassery together was really impressive.

Still chugging along on hard. At first it was extremely frustrating, but I've really come a long way. This game does a good job of requiring you use the technical moves, instead of them just being fluff. I still hit a bottle neck on occasion where I'll die 2-4 times, but it's no worse than Gears on insane.

Small hint: I'm not sure anyone else got the preorder DLC, but if you did the laser cannon is a pretty nifty weapon to keep on hand at all times. It doesn't have ammo, so every time one appears you will be getting an upgrade for it. Makes it potentially very powerful early on, and eases the acquisition of the achievement to fully upgrade a weapon.

That wasn't me but I wish I was that good. The slide kick ---> slow motion shooting is so much fun.

BNice wrote:

That wasn't me but I wish I was that good. The slide kick ---> slow motion shooting is so much fun.

Yeah I could see they were Japanese. Actually that stuff doesn't seem all that hard to pull off if you're okay at budgeting your ARS juice.

Once I get through on hard I'm gonna play on normal and try all the craziest moves and combos.

BNice wrote:

- The disc gun is pretty meh but if you melee with it it doesn't use any energy (and you buzz robot's faces off)
- If you die, the gun you currently have equipped is downgraded.

I just tried (and failed) the first challenge, and came away with an interesting bit of disc gun know-how: one shot will slice off Romanovs. It made getting the brutality bonus achievement a breeze. This and the melee thing (it still uses one of your discs) make it pretty attractive.

I came away with more respect for the LFE. It knocks those guys down, which is pretty critical when there's 4 of them and some of the AT-ST lookin' guys.

Question: I've noticed in the HUD, right above my weapons there is sometimes a little rod of light with the number 3 next to it. Anyone know what that signifies? I couldn't find it in the manual.

Couple tips I took a while to figure out but will be helpful to new players:

The AT-ST like walkers that are mounted by Gorgies can be used if you take out the riders first. Hoping this'll make the Tactical Challenges a bit easier.

One variant of Romanov and a couple bosses use huge homing missiles that kill me in one hit on hard. If you can shoot the missiles fast enough after they're fired, the explosion will take out whoever shot it and some surrounding enemies in one shot.

Blind_Evil wrote:

Question: I've noticed in the HUD, right above my weapons there is sometimes a little rod of light with the number 3 next to it. Anyone know what that signifies? I couldn't find it in the manual.

It's how many cigarettes you have left.

Finished my second play-through last night, this time on hard. Still can't get over how good the action is in this game. I feel like it's going to hit even harder the next time I pick up a TPS and the controls aren't as crisp and the gameplay isn't as fast and fluid. Even the credits were cool.

Spoiler:

Favorite moments
- Dancing Robots
- Second time you fight "Unknown" when junk starts to fall slowly from the ceiling then the health bar shows up. So sick.
- The whole train sequence. Really exhilarating especially the end when you are pinned down with 360 degrees of madness around you.
- Pressing X right as Crystal Viper melee attacks you. So satisfying.
- Fighting the 2 huge Argus robots (including punching the last ones face like 1000 times)

Wasn't a fan of
- The sniping section where you take out the lights. For a game that embraces it's action and insanity this was such a ho-hum section.
- The last boss. Holy crap I died at least 25 times on hard on those guys. It was so brutal especially the amount of one hit kills they do.

This game doesn't exist in my city. I've tried all over and all I ever get is a blank stare when I mention the title, usually 3 or 4 seconds before being asked if I want to preorder Call of Duty.

*sigh*

I got pretty effusive about Vanquish on the show this coming week. It's such a great, technical action game. I'd never have looked at it without that great demo.

Sinatar wrote:

This game doesn't exist in my city. I've tried all over and all I ever get is a blank stare when I mention the title, usually 3 or 4 seconds before being asked if I want to preorder Call of Duty.

*sigh*

Thank goodness for Amazon.ca, eh?

Aww, how can anyone not play with English language when Steve Blum is voicing the sarge? The growl-off between him and Gideon is great!

I blasted my way through the game and had lots of fun with it. The way each scene just flows into the next one shows a real attention to pacing. There was never a time I thought I should set the controller down between firefights.

However, the ending felt lame; kind of a letdown. Are there multiple endings I'm just not aware of?

Certis wrote:

I got pretty effusive about Vanquish on the show this coming week. It's such a great, technical action game. I'd never have looked at it without that great demo.

I'll have to give that a listen. I almost yelled at my speakers while listening to Arthur Gies tear the game apart on Rebel FM last night. Dude has a really obvious anti-Japanese game agenda.

Certis wrote:

I got pretty effusive about Vanquish on the show this coming week. It's such a great, technical action game. I'd never have looked at it without that great demo.

Between this and Bayonetta, I'm liking your taste in games more and more.