League Of Legends Catch All

72 @ 11 isn't bad. Perfect cs is 59 @ 7 minutes, and ~97 @ 10 minutes, so you're not far off especially if you're also harassing and dealing with ganks etc.

I've always found it's best CS wise to set yourself a realistic goal and then move up from that. Originally mine was 100 at 15 min. Then it was 120. Now I aim starting to aim for about 140 but hitting like 130ish regularly. Obviously, depends on match up and you have to keep that in mind. Like if I'm cait I expect to hit but if I'm vayne vs a cait I expect to be about 20-15 low.

escher77 wrote:

Kos I am up for a random gift exchange. I'll be tonight hit me up and we can do it.

Sorry I disappeared. I'll be online tonight if you're still up for it.

Yeah i've already done a few but I like to gamble lol. Just hit me up I'll be on for most of the night.

ulath7 wrote:

I finally did my placement rounds (ya I know... a LOT late for this season) and ended up in Bronze 1. I then proceeded to lose the next 4 games so have been demoted to Bronze2... meh. I'm back at 90 LP in B2 and would really like to experience placement but it probably won't happen.

I recently ran into a situation where I'd like to know if there IS a way out...

Me: Aatrox - Jungle (Purple side) (started with Doran's blade)
Them: Xin Jungle (Blue side)

I started blue and started to go up the jungle... Xin had already taken my red (he started there I think or went his blue then my red). I was at half health going to wraithts when I was ganked at my wraiths for first blood. Needless to say, I was behind, and basically Xin lived in our jungle as I was ganked by either Xin solo or with aid from their mid repeatedly.

I got basically no help from my mid or top until I had died 4-5 times. I actually left the keyboard to go get a drink I was soo pissed... had to cool off... my son has decided he wil now never play LoL with me again as I raged just a bit... can you say frustrated?? I eventually went 0-11-3 or something like that before we surrendered at 22 minutes. I was farmed and about 4 levels below the lowest on their team.

Why I'm posting... how does one combat that kind of scenario? that was the first time I've ever been countered that hard in a LoL game (it didn't help that the Xin was a Gold 2 player and a lot of his team was silver or better). EVERY time I went into my jungle to try to get gold or exp I was killed.

It is difficult to counter on your own, once he gets ahead you are dead meat if he finds you unless you get support from your team. To help with that you can try to ward your jungle entrances. This gives you forewarning of when they enter you jungle for avoiding them or for pinging to get your lanes to help corner and stop the attack. Also, if you have wards in bot jungle entrance, see him enter there, then you can go top and be somewhat safe until you see him leave. You could try to counter jungle him if he is in your jungle and you know where, just be careful if you the lanes come for you or he backs hidden from your view and finds you. I think we have all had a time or two where we just get countered in our jungle hard. its hard to counter once they get a kill or two off on you. The best thing you can do is just keep vision on them and try to catch up. also if you can afford a pink, they are most likely pinking your blu and red to know when you are there to not only get the buff but the kill. if not, a normal ward, when it pops don't go right for it, see if they go for it, you might be able to smite over wall and get away. aatrox can hop walls to help get away clean. also if you are really behind like that, build tanky instead of damage. building damage won't help you survive their ganks in most cases.

I finally did my placement rounds (ya I know... a LOT late for this season) and ended up in Bronze 1. I then proceeded to lose the next 4 games so have been demoted to Bronze2... meh. I'm back at 90 LP in B2 and would really like to experience placement but it probably won't happen.

I recently ran into a situation where I'd like to know if there IS a way out...

Me: Aatrox - Jungle (Purple side) (started with Doran's blade)
Them: Xin Jungle (Blue side)

I started blue and started to go up the jungle... Xin had already taken my red (he started there I think or went his blue then my red). I was at half health going to wraithts when I was ganked at my wraiths for first blood. Needless to say, I was behind, and basically Xin lived in our jungle as I was ganked by either Xin solo or with aid from their mid repeatedly.

I got basically no help from my mid or top until I had died 4-5 times. I actually left the keyboard to go get a drink I was soo pissed... had to cool off... my son has decided he wil now never play LoL with me again as I raged just a bit... can you say frustrated?? I eventually went 0-11-3 or something like that before we surrendered at 22 minutes. I was farmed and about 4 levels below the lowest on their team.

Why I'm posting... how does one combat that kind of scenario? that was the first time I've ever been countered that hard in a LoL game (it didn't help that the Xin was a Gold 2 player and a lot of his team was silver or better). EVERY time I went into my jungle to try to get gold or exp I was killed. Also. any time wI went to place wards in my jungle I was also killed... /sigh

Ask your lanes for help. If they don't help go leech xp/pressure camp their lane (top is generally best to do this in). Make sure you have wards at your jungle entrances before your next buff rotation (5 minute respawn on blue and red).

Another option is to just YOLO it and just go farm their jungle while they invade yours.

So, I finished my placement matches in time for the end of the season.

I lost 8 out of 10 and still got into bronze III. I never returned to ranked since then after loosing another game. And only played some more normals with friends when they were around.

Last time I complained that no one speaks english and it was hard to communicate with the team, right? Guess what: The only other game I won was the one where again no one else was able to communicate properly with each other.

In the other games the flaming was so horrible that I really lack the words to describe it. Either people started calling each other retards right from champ select or it started instantly after the loading screen with some remark like "omg I lolkinged Vayne, worst Vayne EU!"

It also turned out to be a waste of time to even try and reason with the flamers. In the Vayne game I told Vayne to just try her best and not listen to her support and the others (who started the flaming) and focus on CS. The result was that I got also flamed by that Zyra who asked /all to report Lux (me) and Vayne for "being noob" around the time the minions spawned.

In another game where I was support, my Caitlyn died around minute 4 after a successful gank that she didn't see coming even though I had a ward at dragon. She flamed mid for not calling SS (on the jungler...) and then asked to "surrender at 20. waste of time". I tried to raise her spirit ("Come on Cait you can farm your way back in!") and she just answered "?" and it turned out that she couldn't understand what I mean by "farm" or "CS". I literally told her that two full waves of CS was worth more than a kill and that the Vayne we were playing against was horrible at last hitting (she was actually BEHIND Cait!) and she just told me "but kills win the game!"

Aparently the best thing you can do in bronze ranked is to shut the f*ck up and ignore chat as much as possible.

Looks like the more time people spend in bronze the more toxic they are. Both of the examples above had over 800 games played and slightly under 50% lost. It also looks like those people are prime examples of the Dunning-Kruger-effect. The Zyra could spam chat with terms like "Baron control!" but stopped buying wards after laning phase.

I guess solo queue is not for me. I just don't have enough time to put into the game to reach the skill level where I can carry hard enough to get out of there and playing ranked hoping for some team effort while ignoring the flames definitely isn't much fun.

I have to admit though that it is really fascinating that the toxicity gets this out of hand in ranked. I guess you have the same effect in team based shooters like CS, BF or CoD but either those games are just to fast to really get affected by the flaming or it's too easy to just switch the server. Or maybe it's just more likely you can dominate a bunch of noobs if you are pro enough while it's nearly impossible to 1v4 in LoL if the the 4 have a basic knowledge of the game.

I will probably switch to playing Hearthstone now to get my fix of competitive gaming. And I really appreciate that Blizzard didn't even include a chat but only let's you trigger predefined phrases. Otherwise the only future I see with LoL for me atm is finding a team for ranked but that seems unlikely with my current track record

MEATER wrote:

So, I finished my placement matches in time for the end of the season.

I lost 8 out of 10 and still got in...
.... Otherwise the only future I see with LoL for me atm is finding a team for ranked but that seems unlikely with my current track record :D

I cannot stress enough how much better it is to do arranged 5s. Even if you are using the in-game 'looking for group' or other mechanisms to find legitimate players. Duo Queue in ranked beats SoloQ hands down. I posted to reddit to pull together and manage a serious ranked team in bronze and had people from Plat 1 on down jump at the chance to be on something more organized.

If finding a solid five seems like too much work, Reddit also has a looking for team function where you post in a specific format for what you are after in order to join an existing team.

I have had much more fun in the past few weeks than all the months prior. For us, we need the Elo reset as we are playing against Diamond and Plat players with our ranked team in order to do our placement matches for Bronze III (because the Elo does not match your Leauge System rank). Fun, but frustrating to be matched with such high level players after a streak of wins.

The other thing that I have learned in solo queue lately is to dodge effectively. Before even though my troll-spider-senses were tingling and people were arguing in champion select I would stay on. It takes time to learn that the five minute penalty is much better than a 20+ minute frustration for a game lost in champion select.

The format on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/TeamRedditTe...

Player looking for team: [Server]-[Level of Interest]-[Division Name + Position]-[LF team]-[Game mode]

eg. [EUW]-[S]-[D1 + adc, top]-[LF D5-D1 Ranked Duo Q]
This shows:
[Europe - West server]-[Serious]-[Diamond 1 bracket + attack damage carry, top lane]-[Looking for Diamond 5 to 1 rated player for Duo Q ranked matches]

Team looking for player: [Server]-[Division Name]-[LF (type)]-[Game mode]
eg.
[NA]-[Gold 1]-[LF AP mid]-[Ranked 5v5]

Beardbane wrote:

The other thing that I have learned in solo queue lately is to dodge effectively. Before even though my troll-spider-senses were tingling and people were arguing in champion select I would stay on. It takes time to learn that the five minute penalty is much better than a 20+ minute frustration for a game lost in champion select.

I have actually never dodged a game or left during champ select.

So I have to ask like the noob I am Do I have to close the client to dodge?

Won't I loose LP for dodging?

MEATER wrote:

So I have to ask like the noob I am Do I have to close the client to dodge?

Yes.

MEATER wrote:

Won't I loose LP for dodging?

Yes, but you'll lose less than losing the game. Dodge loss currently is like 3 LP. If you're in series it will automatically fail the series however, so it's generally not recommended to dodge in that case.

ahrezmendi wrote:

Yes, but you'll lose less than losing the game. Dodge loss currently is like 3 LP. If you're in series it will automatically fail the series however, so it's generally not recommended to dodge in that case.

Ok, since I'm still sitting at 0LP I do not have much to loose.

The general idea behind dodging in ranked is can you ID a fundamental problem in your team (e.g. personality conflict, troll, non-communicator). If yes, dodge since it's better to take the 3 minute penalty than play out a 40 minute game. There are some caveats:

1 - You *can* drop tiers in a division by losing too much. I don't know if dodges count towards this, but I imagine they do so if you're at 0LP you're actually in a risky spot. Unless...
2 - You're in the 5th tier of your division. You can't drop to another division (e.g. Gold -> Silver) this season, so you risk nothing. Rumor has it this is changing next season.

Are we sure about the losing only like 3 LP?. I do not dodge often but the last time I had to because of a work call I believe I lost around 9-10 which at the time was what I was gaining for wins/loses.

Your LP gain/loss entirely depends on the team you were matched up against. It's certainly possible that Riot just uses the same algorithm for determining loss when you dodge. It doesn't change the fact that if you think there's a high likelihood your team won't play well together, then it's better to lose the LP and save the time than to lose both.

Depends on your frustration level IMO. I have had plenty of crappy teams with support irelia or X or Y and win. I have also had teams with 2 mid no jungle because two people fought over it win. Yes your W/L is probably well under 50% in those scenario's but even winning 1 out 5 is some LP you would save.

That's assuming the LP loss is the same for playing the game or dodging. I just said it's possible Riot uses the same algorithm for both, but a lot of people claim it's not. My own anecdotal evidence shows that I lose less LP by dodging than by playing and losing.

Personally I'll always take a dodge over frustration. I'm lucky if I get 1 game a night, I don't want it to be time spent with people screaming at each other over who called mid first, or entertaining somebodies notion that Hecarim is a viable support.

I thought a ranked dodge was a 30 minute wait penalty?

Only the 2nd dodge and on, first dodge is 5.5 minutes:

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...

EDIT: That page also answers the question escher and I were discussing - Dodge penalty is 3LP the first dodge, 10LP every dodge after that (until timer resets).

Interesting!

I should have said - You only ever dodge the first game. The penalties are too great for the 2nd dodge and on, so this is a tactic people only employ to avoid games they really think are going to go badly.

A less honorable but no less effective strategy is to bait one of your allies into dodging. I've not employed this one successfully myself, but I know folks who have.

I also think this gets into a touchy topic. Dodging because someone is not behaving correctly is like giving into a child when they throw a temper tantrum.

One side it is good because this is a game and for your own frustration it's better to not deal with it at all. This is something you do for fun and it not being fun removes the reason you do it.

On the other side though if you do that and the kid just gets his way. He will do it again until he gets the 1 spot he wants or whatever the beef was over. In general this is bad for the community because it will never solve the issue.

I hear ya, and I used to put up with a lot of people because I didn't want their behavior to be rewarded. I eventually realized two critical things:

1 - It ain't my job to teach them how to act like a proper human being.
2 - My time is too valuable.

So yeah, it doesn't help the community overall to have this behavior rewarded in any way, but frankly that's more Riot's problem than mine. I'll gladly dodge and go grab a hot drink while the 5 minute timer counts down. And if I have to dodge again, then I'll just quit and go play Skyrim or something. At that point it exclusively Riot's problem.

I have to agree. Losing 17 or more LP because 'Sivir support is viable' after 30 frustrating minutes does not teach anyone a lesson, unless it is 'dodge when you think you should dodge' Waiting 5.5 minutes and losing 3 LP is much easier to swallow.

Hopefully there is some algorithm that tracks how often someone dodges a lobby you are in, so that disruptive players that often cause people to dodge eventually get tagged; but the new queue system may make that a thing of the past. We will see.

Meater, i'm back playing again a fair bit (I'm assuming you are in EUW?). My summoner name is dibster if you want to hit me for for some duos.

I decided to learn thresh and zac since coming back. I'm starting to tighten up on both of them, even doing alright last night on zac jungle in the face if a fed mid while was four levels higher than anyone else. Thresh seems a bit wasted like all aggressive supports if you aren't on voice chat with someone.

Also, is nimax on EUW a goodjer? I have people on my list who I can't remember since taking a break.

I don't think there really is a happy medium re: dodging, in normals or in ranked. I've suffered through some pretty lousy games because I was too stubborn to be the guy who has to take one for the team every single time, yet I've seen the opposite extreme where it sometimes takes 5-10 queues to get into a game because of repeated dodging.

ahrezmendi wrote:

So yeah, it doesn't help the community overall to have this behavior rewarded in any way, but frankly that's more Riot's problem than mine. I'll gladly dodge and go grab a hot drink while the 5 minute timer counts down. And if I have to dodge again, then I'll just quit and go play Skyrim or something. At that point it exclusively Riot's problem.

What is your goal when you play League? Is it to have fun playing a competitive game? Queue dodging actively works against those goals by giving you a 5 minute wait and lowering your ELO. If you dodge a game, the chances of there being a troll on your team in the next game are exactly the same. If you wanted to play League and couldn't, it's a little bit your problem, no? If you'd rather be drinking a hot drink or playing Skyrim, just start with that.

On the other hand, you could be playing tons of games of League, and only occasionally getting so frustrated that you have to post about it, in which case, I am only hearing about 10% of your LoL experience, it just happens to be all of the frustrating experiences. In that case, duo queue more, carry your trolls, and learn to find the enemy weak-sauce players and feed on them.

Queue-dodging based on champ picks seems silly, especially in bronze-solo queue, where individual skill counts for a lot more because of how weak team comps and team coordination is. You sound like a guy who'd queue-dodge a solo mid Blitzcrank. You're missing out.

dibs wrote:

Meater, i'm back playing again a fair bit (I'm assuming you are in EUW?). My summoner name is dibster if you want to hit me for for some duos.

Cool. I'll friend you up when I'm home tonight!

I also played a lot of Zac btw. I like him a lot in games where I play with my students or half way organized teams with people from my friendlist but I feel that in solo queue I need more damage

Squee9 wrote:

What is your goal when you play League? Is it to have fun playing a competitive game? Queue dodging actively works against those goals by giving you a 5 minute wait and lowering your ELO. If you dodge a game, the chances of there being a troll on your team in the next game are exactly the same. If you wanted to play League and couldn't, it's a little bit your problem, no? If you'd rather be drinking a hot drink or playing Skyrim, just start with that.

On the other hand, you could be playing tons of games of League, and only occasionally getting so frustrated that you have to post about it, in which case, I am only hearing about 10% of your LoL experience, it just happens to be all of the frustrating experiences. In that case, duo queue more, carry your trolls, and learn to find the enemy weak-sauce players and feed on them.

Queue-dodging based on champ picks seems silly, especially in bronze-solo queue, where individual skill counts for a lot more because of how weak team comps and team coordination is. You sound like a guy who'd queue-dodge a solo mid Blitzcrank. You're missing out. :D

I think the logic is a bit off: If its a 50% chance to get a an overall decently motivated team and you miss out dodging makes a lot of sense in order to have another 50% shot at a decent team. Totally worth it!

Actually I think Riot should let you reroll teams like they let you reroll champs in ARAM. Queues are short enough to justify that imho.

Having said that - would I dodge a last pick Veigar support? No. Would I dodge a game where two people spend the seconds after he last picked Veigar after they flamed him out of support Lux and spam through the whole noob-retard-report-omg spectrum for the remaining time until the loading screen comes up? Probably. I'd say the last case is far under 50% maybe 10% so I would have a 90% chance of not getting that again after the dodge (if I presume that all those toxic idiots are going to get queued again and are playing by the time I my timer runs off).

I would agree on the rest though: Duo queue or ranked 5s or 3s are definitely what I'm looking to get into. Otherwise I don't see much reason to keep playing. I want the competition! But I also do not want to spend my time with flaming, raging idiots.