League Of Legends Catch All

_Free_ wrote:
ranalin wrote:
_Free_ wrote:

And for the last time, it's not about being "good enough", it's about being "considerate enough". not sure how I can explain this any clearer.

This is still faulty logic. You play the game for fun, and if you dont like what other people are doing then you find others to play with. People dont intentionally play to lose, but some people, in fact i'd say most people dont try and play like a pro. Calling someone inconsiderate because of that is just as wrong.

That's why I told him that if he keeps playing like that, people won't play with him. Seems like perfect logic. Being inconsiderate of your team doesn't make you a bad person, it makes you less likely to find people to play with.

I'm not seeing your explanation for why my logic is faulty.

GWJ games have always had a standing policy of being open to everyone regardless of skill or ability. To state otherwise just seems wrong. Now if someone is intentionally griefing... thats something else.

ranalin wrote:

GWJ games have always had a standing policy of being open to everyone regardless of skill or ability. To state otherwise just seems wrong. Now if someone is intentionally griefing... thats something else.

And I think that's great, but it's not my point. It's not about skill or ability (like I've mentioned 3 times now), it's about refusing to adjust the way you play to help your team win. It's about trying your damndest to avoid being the worst version of yourself.

If you keep playing AD Carry and sucking, stop playing AD Carry. You're both hurting us and preventing someone else who might be better from playing AD Carry. Try support, try tank, try laning if you were mid/jungle. There is a role for everyone and if you are a considerate teammate, you will fill the role needed to help the team.

Everyone should always feel welcome to play with GWJers, but they shouldn't feel welcome to do whatever they please at all times. Team games are about communication and collaboration. If someone is uninterested in those things, they should feel welcome to GTFO. Just my opinion, obviously, not a tenet of the GWJ faith.

_Free_ wrote:

Everyone should always feel welcome to play with GWJers, but they shouldn't feel welcome to do whatever they please at all times.

I think that is the main issue we are taking offense at. While I would agree that if you want to be the best you can and help your team do the best it can, then yes, you shouldn't just do whatever you want. However, that mindset is not in what I feel is the spirit of GWJ. If you want to play a game where everyone makes sacrafices to help the team out, then by all means put together a ranked team of selectively chosen people. But if you're just poping in vent and grabbing people to play a game with, don't be upset when some of those people don't play exactly how you'd like them to.

Edit: That assumes that "whatever you want" isn't intentionally griefing your team.

Tkyl's approach is my preferred approach. Leave the "serious business" for ranked games, and the "play your comfortable playstyle while trying to work with your team in your own fashion" for regular games, and everyone can be happy.

_Free_ wrote:

Team games are about communication and collaboration. If someone is uninterested in those things, they should feel welcome to GTFO. Just my opinion, obviously, not a tenet of the GWJ faith.

I dont know of anyone or have seen anyone to try and intentionally lose or be uninterested in communication or collaboration. If someone is griefing then ya gtfo applies, but the open door policy is you have to take the good with the bad. It's not a faith but something this community offers which is a bit unique.

Tkyl wrote:
_Free_ wrote:

Everyone should always feel welcome to play with GWJers, but they shouldn't feel welcome to do whatever they please at all times.

I think that is the main issue we are taking offense at. While I would agree that if you want to be the best you can and help your team do the best it can, then yes, you shouldn't just do whatever you want. However, that mindset is not in what I feel is the spirit of GWJ. If you want to play a game where everyone makes sacrafices to help the team out, then by all means put together a ranked team of selectively chosen people. But if you're just poping in vent and grabbing people to play a game with, don't be upset when some of those people don't play exactly how you'd like them to.

Edit: That assumes that "whatever you want" isn't intentionally griefing your team.

I see your point and can't argue with it. I think this is just a matter of opinion.

However, if I play 2 or 3 games in a row with someone who is uninterested in cooperating and collaborating, I'm no longer playing with that person.

I know it's pointless to try and clarify my position, but here goes anyway.

I can usually play just one game a night. After a long day at a job I hate, in a new country where I have no friends, I'm now much more interested in a solid win than playing the long odds and taking lots of risks to enjoy the couple of times they pay off. These are factors beyond everyone else's control, and I'm not holding that against anyone -- although I'm sure that in my frustration, it really seemed like I was. Everyone gets really used to people being jerks online, so I shouldn't have expected the benefit of the doubt even from people I play with regularly.

I'm not implying that anyone should stop playing the game entirely or matching up with other GWJ folks. We obviously have people who are at various points along the spectrum from "I'm going to do whatever I want in the game without any regard for my teammates" and "We must have pro level strategy and skill in every game" (with no one truly at either extreme, thank goodness). Personally, the reason I gravitate towards team games (L4D, TF2, LoL) is because I value group success over individual success, driven in part because I know I'm not a great 1v1 player. Playing tactically to benefit the team doesn't impede people who want those moments of high-risk individual success, but needlessly exposing yourself to lots of risk and dying does make the game less fun for the group-oriented players. If I go into a game with a mindset of "Time to have a beer and play fast-and-loose", I'm okay with a ridiculous loss -- but those games have been few and far between lately for me.

I apologize for letting my personal issues cast a shadow on the fantastic GWL LoL crew. I'll just go back to playing AI games for a while.

ranalin wrote:
_Free_ wrote:

Team games are about communication and collaboration. If someone is uninterested in those things, they should feel welcome to GTFO. Just my opinion, obviously, not a tenet of the GWJ faith.

I dont know of anyone or have seen anyone to try and intentionally lose or be uninterested in communication or collaboration. If someone is griefing then ya gtfo applies, but the open door policy is you have to take the good with the bad. It's not a faith but something this community offers which is a bit unique.

I wasn't using "faith" pejoratively, I love the GWJ way.

And I've seen people who aren't intentionally losing, but are not interested in collaborating or changing their gamestyle to suit a team. See it All. The. Time. At that point, my open door begins to close.

two cents from a competitive older something:

The only time I would feel comfortable playing experimentally or without a care would be in GWJ-only games and I'd announce my intention first. In "real" games, that's where it's kind of on the line for me and I play for the team first. I assume you will too unless you say otherwise. In a game vs. intermed bots the other day our Tristana player announced they were going to try an AP build and apologized in advance if it ended up sucking; that's all I could ever ask from teammates. Be communicative and all will be well.

Anyone have any experience with Corki? He looks interesting and is next on my list for Yordle supremacy.

Strewth wrote:

Anyone have any experience with Corki? He looks interesting and is next on my list for Yordle supremacy.

I used to play him quite a bit, but stopped because I prefer other AD carries like Kog'Maw.

However, he's very strong and is one the burstiest AD champs out there. He just needs a LOT of feed, so he pretty much demands mid. He also takes a long time to master. Basically, he's so mana hungry that you'll need to buy a Manamune for him until you really master him. Once you've mastered him completely, you can get away with playing him sans-Manamune, which means you can rush AD items faster and be more viable.

I'm nowhere near that level though. Still, even with the Manamune, he's dangerous.

He's also fun as hell to play.

He's also a weird play. One of his abilities requires you to always face the enemy to be effective. That's difficult for more twitchy players. <-----

Grenn wrote:

He's also a weird play. One of his abilities requires you to always face the enemy to be effective. That's difficult for more twitchy players. <-----

Definitely. That ability is another reason why he is so difficult to master. But it offers him a lot of team utility because it shreds armor. Really great if you have some CC to hold them in place while you shred them and some AD champs to jump in with you.

alrighty, I'll be picking him up soon then, and playing a bunch of bot games until I get the hang of him.

It's not the champions themselves that I find hard to learn, but the gear to kit them out with.

_Free_ wrote:
ranalin wrote:

GWJ games have always had a standing policy of being open to everyone regardless of skill or ability. To state otherwise just seems wrong. Now if someone is intentionally griefing... thats something else.

And I think that's great, but it's not my point. It's not about skill or ability (like I've mentioned 3 times now), it's about refusing to adjust the way you play to help your team win. It's about trying your damndest to avoid being the worst version of yourself.

If you keep playing AD Carry and sucking, stop playing AD Carry. You're both hurting us and preventing someone else who might be better from playing AD Carry. Try support, try tank, try laning if you were mid/jungle. There is a role for everyone and if you are a considerate teammate, you will fill the role needed to help the team.

Everyone should always feel welcome to play with GWJers, but they shouldn't feel welcome to do whatever they please at all times. Team games are about communication and collaboration. If someone is uninterested in those things, they should feel welcome to GTFO. Just my opinion, obviously, not a tenet of the GWJ faith.

I was thinking of trying this again because the whole DOTA 2 thing sparked my interest in this genre again.

Skip past like 1000 posts in this thread and the first thing I see is a debate on how people who suck shouldn't play. Or should play different. Or should wear helmets when they play so they don't hurt themself when they faceroll their character and lose the game for their team.

Don't get me wrong, there is not a lot of vitriol here but it seems that the attitude this game engenders in its players is still very much intact.

TheArtOfScience wrote:

I was thinking of trying this again because the whole DOTA 2 thing sparked my interest in this genre again.

Skip past like 1000 posts in this thread and the first thing I see is a debate on how people who suck shouldn't play. Or should play different. Or should wear helmets when they play so they don't hurt themself when they faceroll their character and lose the game for their team.

Don't get me wrong, there is not a lot of vitriol here but it seems that the attitude this game engenders in its players is still very much intact.

Sigh. Why do I even type?

Please re-read what we've been saying. This is about level 30 veterans, not newbies. Newbies are always welcome! After all, we were all newbies once.

Jump in the GWJ channel in the game and start friending people up. You'll find more than enough guys to help show you the ropes. Even though I'm sure you think I'm an ass if you skimmed the above posts, add me and I'd be happy to play some games with you. Summoner name: JimmyFreeThrow.

_Free_ wrote:

Sigh. Why do I even type?

Please re-read what we've been saying. This is about level 30 veterans, not newbies. Newbies are always welcome! After all, we were all newbies once.

Even when I hit 30, I can pretty much guarantee I will always be a level 30 newbie compared to anyone who refers to themselves as a "level 30 veteran", so yeah... you probably want to ensure you don't ever get stuck in a match with me.

It's funny. I can play 3-4 hours straight of something like Call of Duty with pubby chucklef*cks who spawn-kill me and completely pwn me, and I'll still be more relaxed and happy than after one LoL loss. The MOBA genre really does seem to engender Internet Angry Man syndrome more than any other team-based online games I've ever played. And that's even in spite of me trying to be a decent team-player, but being a really sh*tty mind-reader.

Farscry wrote:
_Free_ wrote:

Sigh. Why do I even type?

Please re-read what we've been saying. This is about level 30 veterans, not newbies. Newbies are always welcome! After all, we were all newbies once.

Even when I hit 30, I can pretty much guarantee I will always be a level 30 newbie compared to anyone who refers to themselves as a "level 30 veteran", so yeah... you probably want to ensure you don't ever get stuck in a match with me.

It's funny. I can play 3-4 hours straight of something like Call of Duty with pubby chucklef*cks who spawn-kill me and completely pwn me, and I'll still be more relaxed and happy than after one LoL loss. The MOBA genre really does seem to engender Internet Angry Man syndrome more than any other team-based online games I've ever played. And that's even in spite of me trying to be a decent team-player, but being a really sh*tty mind-reader.

Completely agree. However I think the reason is two-fold.

First, in FPS games, the matches only last 10-15 minutes at most. Even if you get rocked for most of your games, you still only invested 10-15 of your time per match. There is always a "well, I can win the next one" feeling. The sting of defeat is lessened on a per-game basis. With LoL, matches can take an hour. Losing an hour-long match hurts a lot more.

Second, players in MOBAs are so intertwined. If someone is dying a lot, they are feeding the other team and making them stronger and more difficult to defeat. In FPS games, yeah if you go 0-10, that's 10 kills the rest of us have to make up to win the game, but the other team doesn't gain any strength. You can have one awesome player go 25-5 and carry the team easily.

Cyranix wrote:

I know it's pointless to try and clarify my position, but here goes anyway.

I find this completely valid and feel the same more often than I care to admit; look me up for a game. I think your play style and my cautiousness could click together.

I don't have to go for the win, but I want a game where the team is at least trying to win. If we're too focused on fights and don't push lanes, I'll call it out and expect people to do something about it. I'm not giving examples of how bossy I can be, but rather manifesting how great it feels when a team can adapt intelligently to developing situations.

Getting ganked --> play def and get wards.
enemy has stealth --> tanks should get Oracle's Elixir; get wards
Losing to team fights --> try to gank, push lanes, get wards.
Have map control --> get dragon, creep their jungle; get wards.
have change to win --> roll eyes when someone suggests getting Baron

I agree a 4v5 can work if the 5th is pushing a lane; especially if it's a champion like Teemo or Tryndamere that can push an entire lane from one base to the other in under 2 minutes. But if you're the tank and refuse to help your team, then yes, that's a primer example of ass-hatery. It's not about individual skill, it's about a team game where each player has a specific role to play.

My favorite thing to do in LoL is to push towers, actually. Even in Demigod, I often played Rook specifically because I like to knock down defensive structures.

Why? I really don't know. It just amuses me!

I see you all commenting and I am wondering, why is no one in vent or in game? T_T
Stop posting at work, get home, and hop in a game with me, I want to get a few games in before TF2 Friday Nights start up!

Sincerely,
A lowly lvl 17 summoner

Complex wrote:

I see you all commenting and I am wondering, why is no one in vent or in game? T_T
Stop posting at work, get home, and hop in a game with me, I want to get a few games in before TF2 Friday Nights start up!

Sincerely,
A lowly lvl 17 summoner

but complaining about games is soooooooo much more fun than playing them!

Koz wrote:

And that's not to say I'm an amazing player with a bunch of scrubs, but Goodjer groups don't tend to communicate much or talk actual strategy which is kind of a death sentence when going against a team that does (which is most 5 man premades).

I've been noticing this too. There are certainly some exceptions, but most of the groups I've been in have been relatively quiet on vent. I've thrown out a few suggestions to lower level players regarding item builds or laning strategies and have mostly been met with silence. I can't tell if people just are just super quiet in general or aren't particularly interesting in improving, so I haven't been doing it much lately. It feels pretty douchey to be tossing out suggestions left and right if no one is asking for them, but it's also a bit frustrating seeing bad item builds or bad habits being formed on someone that may just not know any better.

Less drama, more killing.
Noobs.

Played 10 games today. 1 win, 9 losses. And the win was against easy bots so I can get an easy and fast 10xp to level up. What a day...

Complex wrote:

I see you all commenting and I am wondering, why is no one in vent or in game? T_T
Stop posting at work, get home, and hop in a game with me, I want to get a few games in before TF2 Friday Nights start up!

Sincerely,
A lowly lvl 17 summoner

Dear Complex,

Bite me.

Sincerely,
a lower lvl 15 summoner.

j/k, I only just got home now, but I'd be up for some games after TF2 winds down. Bring it on!

IMAGE(http://nogoodforme.filmstills.org/images/unicorn.jpg)

Strewth wrote:
Complex wrote:

I see you all commenting and I am wondering, why is no one in vent or in game? T_T
Stop posting at work, get home, and hop in a game with me, I want to get a few games in before TF2 Friday Nights start up!

Sincerely,
A lowly lvl 17 summoner

Dear Complex,

Bite me.

Sincerely,
a lower lvl 15 summoner.

j/k, I only just got home now, but I'd be up for some games after TF2 winds down. Bring it on!

Dear Strewth,

Consider it on!

Sincerely,
A pyromaniac in TF2

Grabbed Orianna due to the RP sale as she has some of the coolest mechanics I've seen. 21 champions and counting. Methinks I need to put some time into actually becoming practiced with more than 2 of them.

Going back a few pages to my post about changing the recommended items. There's a little java tool for that here: http://lolic.codeplex.com/

It's missing some of the pictures for the newer items and champions, and is missing Riven altogether, but it otherwise works fine.