Epic Mickey Catch-All

I played it very briefly last night, but got interrupted by dinner and then fell asleep before playing it again.

Getting old is the pits.

TheCounselor wrote:

Getting old is the pits.

Matlock!!</abesimpson>

Seriously? I watched the Giant Bomb quick-look, and I decided I could pass. Now, I watch Sessler, and I want back in. Of course, this seems like the kind of game the GB guys (specifically Gerstman) would dismiss, so I shouldn't be too surprised.

I guess the question becomes: Kirby, or Mickey?

Lex Cayman wrote:

I guess the question becomes: Kirby, or Mickey?

Kirby is a fun game, and certainly will make any guy lose their man-card until they kill or destroy things to get it back. It's happy, it's giggly, dancing, pink Kirby fun.

And then, there's Mickey and Oswald.

Vargen wrote:
Ulairi wrote:

on the Xbox 360 a DVD holds more data than on the Wii.

While the rest of that was nonsense, I believe this bit is actually true. The Wii uses a fixed-speed drive while the Xbox uses a standard variable-speed drive. This means the Wii disks can store less data on the outer rings than a standard DVD-ROM can. I'm not sure how significant the difference is, but it's there.

Nope. The DVDs on both can hold the same amount of data. The lack of voice acting is because Oswald never was voiced so in his world people don't have a voice. Spector said so in an interview. Xbox 360 games usually hold more data due to assets, voice data isn't large and is usually in mono.

Ulairi wrote:

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/70...

I saw this review and it sums up my feelings pretty well.

EDIT: This is going to be one of those games I champion because it's a game that I think will be overlooked by a lot of posters here based on it's platform, the type of game it is, and that it's a Mickey game. It is better than the old Mickey Capcom games.

Thanks-- I stopped getting Sessler's Soapbox when they stopped having a separate podcast for it on iTunes. Interesting watch-- makes me want the game in different ways than before.

Lex Cayman wrote:

Seriously? I watched the Giant Bomb quick-look, and I decided I could pass. Now, I watch Sessler, and I want back in. Of course, this seems like the kind of game the GB guys (specifically Gerstman) would dismiss, so I shouldn't be too surprised.

I guess the question becomes: Kirby, or Mickey?

I haven't played Epic Mickey yet, but I could not stop smiling from the time I started playing Kirby until about 3 days after beating it. Hyperbole aside, I really loved everything about Kirby. Great controls, cool transformations, amazing art direction and visuals, and the sweet animations used for every new stage unlock. Kirby also had a lot more content than I thought it would.

I'm hoping to get Epic Mickey (and maybe DKCR) for Christmas. Which Wii game shall reign supreme?

Well, Galaxy 2, of course... but which shall get 2nd?!

In case anyone here doesn't regularly check the deals thread, http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...

Wii remote, nunchuck, and Epic Mickey for $35 + tax and shipping (about $43 total).

Dyni wrote:

In case anyone here doesn't regularly check the deals thread, http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...

Wii remote, nunchuck, and Epic Mickey for $35 + tax and shipping (about $43 total).

Awesome find! I ordered two, one for the wife, and one for my brother who is a big Mickey Mouse fan. We're keeping both controllers though, as we needed extras for some serious New Super Mario action. My brother is one of those millions that bought a Wii, and now let's it collect dust, as he is not really a gamer, at all. But Mickey will probably get him interested.

I have the paintbrush in my possession. It's definitely plastic, and I could probably make a real wood one myself... which might be a project I'll work on while on break from work.

Dominic Knight wrote:

I have the paintbrush in my possession. It's definitely plastic, and I could probably make a real wood one myself... which might be a project I'll work on while on break from work.

Does it enhance the gameplay, or is it just a fun accessory?

Jayhawker wrote:
Dyni wrote:

In case anyone here doesn't regularly check the deals thread, http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...

Wii remote, nunchuck, and Epic Mickey for $35 + tax and shipping (about $43 total).

Awesome find! I ordered two, one for the wife, and one for my brother who is a big Mickey Mouse fan. We're keeping both controllers though, as we needed extras for some serious New Super Mario action. My brother is one of those millions that bought a Wii, and now let's it collect dust, as he is not really a gamer, at all. But Mickey will probably get him interested.

They've revised this now. If you select the remote and the game, you get a $70 charge. I am so sad to have missed this yesterday!

Jayhawker wrote:
Dominic Knight wrote:

I have the paintbrush in my possession. It's definitely plastic, and I could probably make a real wood one myself... which might be a project I'll work on while on break from work.

Does it enhance the gameplay, or is it just a fun accessory?

Fun accessory. It's a tad slippery, but it's not like you need to play wii-boxing with this thing, so it does it's job and looks cool.

sheared wrote:
Jayhawker wrote:
Dyni wrote:

In case anyone here doesn't regularly check the deals thread, http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...

Wii remote, nunchuck, and Epic Mickey for $35 + tax and shipping (about $43 total).

Awesome find! I ordered two, one for the wife, and one for my brother who is a big Mickey Mouse fan. We're keeping both controllers though, as we needed extras for some serious New Super Mario action. My brother is one of those millions that bought a Wii, and now let's it collect dust, as he is not really a gamer, at all. But Mickey will probably get him interested.

They've revised this now. If you select the remote and the game, you get a $70 charge. I am so sad to have missed this yesterday!

I thought that deal was too good to be true. To get the game that cheap AND to have a Wiimote and nunchuck thrown it was kind of crazy. Hopefully they still ship it to me.

A question to those who have played this and are also parents. When I asked my brother what to get his daughters for Chaunakah, he mentioned Epic Mickey. My nieces are 2.5 and 6 and I am wondering if it is a bit on the might give them nightmares side or not?

LobsterMobster wrote:

Metacritic has this at 78 right now.

Now it's showing 78, based on 34 reviews... but showing 0 critic reviews.

Was hoping to read up a bit. Plate is kinda full now, but in the new year, might find it on sale.

Kiri wrote:

A question to those who have played this and are also parents. When I asked my brother what to get his daughters for Chaunakah, he mentioned Epic Mickey. My nieces are 2.5 and 6 and I am wondering if it is a bit on the might give them nightmares side or not?

I would recommend Kirby:Epic Yarn simply based on significant manual camera control required in Epic Mickey.

I can't tell if this game is brilliant and unforgiving or the terrible product of people who should have never attempted a platformer. The spaces are just so strange and difficult to get a handle on, objectives are confusing and are often accomplished without me even really knowing what I was doing, and they're constantly asking me to make jumps to things I can't see. If I approach it like some weird hardcore platformer that requires constant camera manipulation, I can get into it.

The first "boss" fight was pretty neat, and had some of the spirit we saw in the initial concept art. I'm so on board for the whole concept that I'll keep going, but it's a much rougher experience than I was anticipating.

Slumberland wrote:

I can't tell if this game is brilliant and unforgiving or the terrible product of people who should have never attempted a platformer. The spaces are just so strange and difficult to get a handle on, objectives are confusing and are often accomplished without me even really knowing what I was doing, and they're constantly asking me to make jumps to things I can't see. If I approach it like some weird hardcore platformer that requires constant camera manipulation, I can get into it.

The first "boss" fight was pretty neat, and had some of the spirit we saw in the initial concept art. I'm so on board for the whole concept that I'll keep going, but it's a much rougher experience than I was anticipating.

Perfect assessment. I am going through the same questions.

MisterStatic wrote:
Kiri wrote:

A question to those who have played this and are also parents. When I asked my brother what to get his daughters for Chaunakah, he mentioned Epic Mickey. My nieces are 2.5 and 6 and I am wondering if it is a bit on the might give them nightmares side or not?

I would recommend Kirby:Epic Yarn simply based on significant manual camera control required in Epic Mickey.

I can't comment on whether Epic Mickey is too scary, but I definitely second and heavily recommend Kirby's Epic Yarn for those ages. My son just turned 3 the week Kirby came out and my daughter is 5.5 and they absolutely loved it. Kirby might be the best $30 gift I ever bought the kids.

This seems to have really landed with a wet plop. Reviews are not great. Even in here, seems to be little interest in discussing. I still want this, not yet willing to accept the disappointment that is likely when I play it.

I'd post in here more, but I haven't played enough of the game to say anything. So once I do--which will hopefully be this weekend--then I could give my opinion...

I am so conflicted about this.

I ordered this from Amazon pretty much on release date in some weird impulsive streak (okay, I was ordering something else for Christmas and thought I'd grab this to (ahem) 'test' it out before possibly showing the kids).

I have still not opened it, and the more I read - and after the podcast - the more I keep thinking I should just return it and eat the cost of shipping for my hubris. I am so torn between just giving it a chance and tossing it back to Amazon.

Sigh.

demonbox wrote:

Even in here, seems to be little interest in discussing.

That's par for the course for Wii games in general, though.

As a child of the 70s, I am loving it. I spent every summer of that decade going to Disneyland. When I take my kids there now, it is not as magical for some reason. I think it was the Disney somewhere in this game I remember. Sometimes, most the time, it is seriously ugly (I scream WHY THE WII!!??). Other times, visions from my past childhood appear and it is simply beautiful. The camera control is terrible, but I find myself driving forward discovering memories I have long forgotten almost 40 years ago. I think it is worth it.

Katy wrote:
demonbox wrote:

Even in here, seems to be little interest in discussing.

That's par for the course for Wii games in general, though.

Yep. Even Galaxy (and 2) barely got talked about, although they might be the best platformers I've ever played.

Seems to be something about single-player games that don't get discussed as much. Or possibly it's the lack of story, since DAO and ME2 got dozens of pages.

It's a guy thing. It's just not cool to talk about playing with your Wii.

Jayhawker wrote:

It's a guy thing. It's just not cool to talk about playing with your Wii.

Yeah, that sort of shameful act isn't spoken about.

More seriously, I think you need a certain critical mass of players for discussion to really take off and in this community that doesn't often happen with Wii games.

Add to that the resounding 'meh' that has greeted the launch of this game and it's sad but unsurprising.

I can't believe I'm going to ask about this game, but how invasive are the waggle controls? I am giving up on Mario Galaxy right now. Shaking the Wiimote every time I want to do a spin attack is becoming an RSI nightmare in development. I need to stop playing it. So I'm considering picking up Epic Mickey as there is only one other game I have for the Wii. I know you use the Wiimote to paint, but what else?

YMMV. It has a very similar spin attack mechanic, I'm afraid. But you're not doing it nearly so often as you do it in Galaxy. You get rid of bad guys by painting them, not punching them.

The "painting" so far is just point and shoot. There's no waving it around or anything I've run into. The brush acts like a garden hose to sort of fill in an empty section.

If you can, I'd rent it. While the pieces and parts seem similar, it doesn't play out the same over the course of the game, and that might make a difference. If nothing else, you should get ahold of the soundtrack - it's awesome.