Steam for Mac

I'm having a weird problem in Portal. The portals aren't showing anything anymore, it's just a black oval with the orange or blue border. I was playing it earlier tonight just fine, but went back after dinner and now the portals are just black

Anyone else had this happen?

BNice wrote:

Anyone else having trouble launching Civ IV?

Mine doesn't launch.

Trachalio wrote:

I'm having a weird problem in Portal. The portals aren't showing anything anymore, it's just a black oval with the orange or blue border. I was playing it earlier tonight just fine, but went back after dinner and now the portals are just black

Anyone else had this happen?

Yeah, except for me it never worked. Spotted this in the Valve forums, which worked for me.

We saw this bug and thought we had it fixed. One thing that affected this bug's behavior in our sleuthing was whether or not the game started up in windowed mode.

Please try this - right click the "Portal" title in the Steam game list, and select Properties. In that dialog click the "Set Launch Options" button. Then in that text field just put this text:

-windowed

This will cause the game to start up in windowed mode (which you can then change back to FS using Options->Video tab)

This is just an experiment for you to try, to let us know if you see the same behavior that we did. It's a very strange bug. It's not portal depth related, it's a rendering bug.

Pre-tannhausered, but the details:

Valve wrote:

Yesterday when we shipped Steam on the Mac, previous owners of the PC Steam version of Sid Meier's Civilization IV, Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword, Civilization IV: Warlords, Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization, or Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition did not have access to their games when logging in on a Mac.

But as of now, upon logging into Steam, those owners will have access to the Mac version of their games, right in their Steam library.

Yay! This makes me happy, because I *own* Civ IV and Warlords for the Mac already. (I also own the PC retail version of Civ IV, *and* the Steam version of Civ IV, Warlords, and BtS... >_>) I would be sad to have to buy it again again.

I want my Mac-native Civ 4. Argh, so close! FEED ME SEYMOUR

Unfortunately starting it in Windowed mode didn't do the trick

Yeah, Civ4 launch gives this:

system.log wrote:

May 14 08:53:33 Sin [0x0-0x9d79d7].com.valvesoftware.steam[83548]: Game update: AppID 3900 "Sid Meier's Civilization IV", ProcID 83604, IP 0.0.0.0:0
May 14 08:53:33 Sin com.valvesoftware.steam.ipctool[83557]: [Cleanse]: Removing pid: 83582 from: GameOverlayRender_PIDStream_mutex
May 14 08:53:33: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
May 14 08:53:33 Sin com.valvesoftware.steam.ipctool[83557]: [Cleanse]: Removing pid: 83582 from: GameOverlayRender_PIDStream_written
May 14 08:53:33 Sin com.valvesoftware.steam.ipctool[83557]: [Cleanse]: Removing pid: 83582 from: GameOverlayRender_PIDStream_written.BinSemLock
May 14 08:53:33: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
May 14 08:53:33 Sin com.valvesoftware.steam.ipctool[83557]: [Cleanse]: Removing pid: 83582 from: GameOverlayRender_PIDStream_avail
May 14 08:53:33 Sin com.valvesoftware.steam.ipctool[83557]: [Cleanse]: Removing pid: 83582 from: GameOverlayRender_PIDStream_avail.BinSemLock
May 14 08:53:33: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
May 14 08:53:33 Sin com.valvesoftware.steam.ipctool[83557]: [Cleanse]: Removing pid: 83582 from: GameOverlayRender_PIDStream_mem
May 14 08:53:33 Sin com.valvesoftware.steam.ipctool[83557]: [Cleanse]: Removing pid: 83582 from: SteamOverlayRunning_3900
May 14 08:53:33 Sin com.valvesoftware.steam.ipctool[83557]: [Cleanse]: Removing pid: 83582 from: SteamOverlayRunning_3900.BinSemLock
May 14 08:53:35: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
May 14 08:53:35 Sin com.valvesoftware.steam.ipctool[83557]: Error: Pid 83604 requests to release unknown semaphore:
May 14 08:53:35 Sin com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[500] ([0x0-0x9da9da].com.aspyr.civ4[83604]): Exited with exit code: 252
May 14 08:53:35 Sin [0x0-0x9d79d7].com.valvesoftware.steam[83548]: Game removed: AppID 3900 "Sid Meier's Civilization IV", ProcID 83604

Beyond the Sword and Warlords give a similar message.

That last line is suspicious. Was mac support removed again?

Colonization says:

popup wrote:

You can't open the application colonization because it may be damaged or incomplete.

...and then bombs with:

system.log wrote:

May 14 08:56:24 Sin [0x0-0x9d79d7].com.valvesoftware.steam[83548]: Couldn't launch app: /Users/ranger/Documents/Steam Content/common/civilization iv colonization/colonization.app (-10827)
May 14 08:56:24: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
May 14 08:56:24 Sin [0x0-0x9d79d7].com.valvesoftware.steam[83548]: Steam error: SteamProcessCall(LaunchApp)(0xab04f7,0xbfffd028,0xbfffcf1c) failed with error 1: Failed to launch application process (true)

Ergh!

There was an update to the mac steam, so make sure you quit and re-open to get an accurate representation of the problem; steam updates always mangle things.

In other news, Civ IV shows up for me now, but Sam & Max Season 2 just disappeared from both my mac games list (I already had it installed!) and my all games list. HOW HARD IS THIS, VALVE? GIVE ME MY DAMN GAMES BACK!

My pile of shame is growing exponentially now that owning a Mac is no longer a barrier to entry. I am happy.

Portal is a bit slower than I expected on a MacBook Pro less than 1 year old. But otherwise no problems. Joy.

Hmm I downloaded Civ IV last night but it doesn't load. The icon appears in the dock, hops a couple of times and then disappears.

Trachalio wrote:

Unfortunately starting it in Windowed mode didn't do the trick :(

Did you actually start it with -window as a launch option or did you just change to windowed mode ingame? I tried both and only the former worked

kyrieee wrote:
Trachalio wrote:

Unfortunately starting it in Windowed mode didn't do the trick :(

Did you actually start it with -window as a launch option or did you just change to windowed mode ingame? I tried both and only the former worked

I tried both as well.

Oddly enough, I'm now having the same issue on my work mac and it's WAY more powerful than my Macbook Pro. Though I didn't try the -windowed option here at work yet. Will try it on break.

[EDIT]: Tried "-windowed" and I still have black portals. I'll troll the support forums to see if anyone else is having this issue.

Trachalio wrote:

[EDIT]: Tried "-windowed" and I still have black portals. I'll troll the support forums to see if anyone else is having this issue.

Does it look like one of these?
IMAGE(http://imgur.com/DxY1x.gif)

Quick, hit a monkey with a bone!

IMAGE(http://patdollard.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/monkey2001.jpg)

Well, put me on the list of people for whom Civ IV won't launch. Still waiting to hear back from Valve regarding The Mysterious Case of the Disappearing Telltale Titles as well; I'll post back here when I hear something regarding that. Is anyone here looking into the Civ IV issue?

Yay! Now I own Portal, Torchlight, and Civ IV for Mac. Shame I don't own a Mac.

Minarchist wrote:

Well, put me on the list of people for whom Civ IV won't launch. Still waiting to hear back from Valve regarding The Mysterious Case of the Disappearing Telltale Titles as well; I'll post back here when I hear something regarding that. Is anyone here looking into the Civ IV issue?

Same, but it seems apparent now that they intend to have it working for all owners. I hope it gets fixed soon, because as soon as L4D 2 is available on Mac, Civ 4 is going the way of the dodo to make space.

The Steam forums indicate the Civ IV problem has been fixed.

It works! Man, the menu music is so epic. I feel like I should have it on in the background while I read history books and smoke from an old fashioned pipe.

stauf7 wrote:

The Steam forums indicate the Civ IV problem has been fixed.

Mine is greyed out on my games list now even after I installed it yesterday.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

Quick, hit a monkey with a bone!

IMAGE(http://patdollard.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/monkey2001.jpg)

Monkeys aren't apes!

So Civ IV works for me...technically. Getting all sorts of weird graphical glitches. Below is a shot of, I dunno, the back of Victoria's veil? Many 3D models are having this issue. Also getting weird extraneous dots around text, which are visible in this picture, though not nearly as well due do serious downsizing (my monitor's running at 1920x1200).
IMAGE(http://lh4.ggpht.com/_oLikkvaXOU0/S-2Yt5lH9mI/AAAAAAAAAD4/0p2GQ0KP5wE/s1280/Picture%201.png)

Bnice: What are you using for your background to get the date and time. I MUST KNOW!

TempestBlayze wrote:

Bnice: What are you using for your background to get the date and time. I MUST KNOW!

I PM'd you but for anyone else interested it's a program called "Geek Tool" You can download it here

Ok, so I figured out why my Civ IV was greyed out. When I installed, it added a second copy of Civ IV under my Games category (not where I actually have Civ on my pc). Hopefully it will run with my integrated graphics card.

Minarchist wrote:

So Civ IV works for me...technically. Getting all sorts of weird graphical glitches. Below is a shot of, I dunno, the back of Victoria's veil? Many 3D models are having this issue. Also getting weird extraneous dots around text, which are visible in this picture, though not nearly as well due do serious downsizing (my monitor's running at 1920x1200).
IMAGE(http://lh4.ggpht.com/_oLikkvaXOU0/S-2Yt5lH9mI/AAAAAAAAAD4/0p2GQ0KP5wE/s1280/Picture%201.png)

This issue is cleared by unchecking anti-aliasing (or a similar thing - v-sync perhaps) can't recall exactly which option, but when I first got Civ IV for Mac two years ago, I wrote into Aspyr and their response was to uncheck the option.

I'll see if I can't scare up that email.

HedgeWizard wrote:

This issue is cleared by unchecking anti-aliasing (or a similar thing - v-sync perhaps) can't recall exactly which option, but when I first got Civ IV for Mac two years ago, I wrote into Aspyr and their response was to uncheck the option.

I'll see if I can't scare up that email.

Disabling AA fixed it, thanks for the tip!

Of course, now I don't have any anti-aliasing. And those weird dots are still all over the text, which is a truly bizarre problem, although not particularly bothersome. I just can't figure out what kind of bug would do that.

Minarchist wrote:

And those weird dots are still all over the text, which is a truly bizarre problem, although not particularly bothersome. I just can't figure out what kind of bug would do that.

At least in the picture you posted, they all seem to be under the space after an i so I wonder if it's some sort of typesetting thing that you aren't meant to see.

HedgeWizard wrote:

This issue is cleared by unchecking anti-aliasing (or a similar thing - v-sync perhaps) can't recall exactly which option, but when I first got Civ IV for Mac two years ago, I wrote into Aspyr and their response was to uncheck the option.

I'll see if I can't scare up that email.

I know Aspyr doesn't have a great reputation for post-release support, but come on, a 2+ year old bug that requires disabling a major graphical option and it is still is not fixed? Ridiculous.

Why is Plants vs Zombies not Steam Play, yet? I'd love to pay $9.99 on Steam instead of $19.95 direct from PopCap. (Yes, I probably just answered my own question.)