Batman: Arkham City Catch-All

wanderingtaoist wrote:

but GFWL apparently decided that getting to know my comp is a better idea.

Yes. And now you are a better person and you have grown inside.

Michael wrote:

I put 12 hours in and just finished the main campaign. The ending sequence was quite well done, but I can't really see myself going back and playing the Game Plus Mode or doing any of the challenge rooms. This game was somewhat of a letdown for me, which is a huge bummer as I really loved AA. I think I might go back to revisit AA or AC in the future, but with so many games in the pile I don't see it happening any time soon.

This actually encapsulates my thoughts on the game quite well.

Kamakazi010654 wrote:
Michael wrote:

I put 12 hours in and just finished the main campaign. The ending sequence was quite well done, but I can't really see myself going back and playing the Game Plus Mode or doing any of the challenge rooms. This game was somewhat of a letdown for me, which is a huge bummer as I really loved AA. I think I might go back to revisit AA or AC in the future, but with so many games in the pile I don't see it happening any time soon.

This actually encapsulates my thoughts on the game quite well.

That is the way I felt about it as well, but being an achievement whore I went back and did the campaign challenges, and then decided to try out ng+. I ended up liking NG+ almost as much as AA. Totally agree about them forcing just a bit much into the core game, but ng+ is a much tighter experience.

Xan, I did do that as well.

All I have left is two predator maps (mother f*** some of those are hard), and 11 of the 12 campaigns. Finish New Game +, and BAM. Defeated.

I am so pissed at how buggy these GFWL achievements are. I get the popup notifications from both GFWL and Steam and yet my Live account does not acknowledge that I got achievements.

It shows the Perfect Knight Day 2, which requires you to get all 108 campaign medals. But somehow it won't register my gold or silver campaign achievements, or the gold revenge one.

http://live.xbox.com/en-US/Profile?p...

Steam registered them: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Quintin...

Finished the main storyline, after some 18 hours (a few of them went to chasing stuff around Arkham, obviously). Played on normal and felt it was pretty easy, I did not even die in the final fight. And the Catwoman finale was also quite easy. 41 percent complete says the counter, which means I am going back to do some sidequesting, Bat/Cat switching and similar fun. I like playing around in Arkham City, so I do not particularly miss the storyline.

I want more Catwoman!

Been slowly working my way through challenges. And poking my head in the main game to search for Riddler stuff from time to time. So many challenges between Batman/Catwoman, I feel like it's going to take a while.

Also, my PS3 friend leaderboards are bare. Nobody but me and Hobbes over there?

Stele wrote:

Also, my PS3 friend leaderboards are bare. Nobody but me and Hobbes over there? :?

I'm playing it on PS3 but I've barely touched the challenges. If I remember I'll add you when I get home from work.

gregrampage wrote:
Stele wrote:

Also, my PS3 friend leaderboards are bare. Nobody but me and Hobbes over there? :?

I'm playing it on PS3 but I've barely touched the challenges. If I remember I'll add you when I get home from work.

Likewise. The fact that I'm terrible doesn't help much.

Well I just got into a groove on Funhouse Brawl map with Catwoman and got 133k! Granted that's only 800th best overall rankings. But considering the goal is 60k, and I got 74k on the last wave alone, I felt pretty good about it. My combo streak was up above 100! Not sure exactly what I missed at, but it was when I was down to about 4 guys left and got greedy going for a ground pound to really run up the score.

Catwoman's ground takedown is really really slow. Her aerial attack too.

Stele wrote:

Well I just got into a groove on Funhouse Brawl map with Catwoman and got 133k! Granted that's only 800th best overall rankings. But considering the goal is 60k, and I got 74k on the last wave alone, I felt pretty good about it. My combo streak was up above 100! Not sure exactly what I missed at, but it was when I was down to about 4 guys left and got greedy going for a ground pound to really run up the score.

Those ground pounds always get me screwed up, too.

Ground pounds are x75, so you have to try to get one (or more) in. What I've figured out works well with Catwoman is the final guy or two of the wave, I can just do her whip pull, which puts the guy on the ground, and get in free one or two.

Batman's quick batclaw does the same, but it takes a couple seconds for them to fall and you're more likely to lose the combo.

I think the only moves worth more than ground pound are blade dodge takedown and titan takedown, both x100. Granted I haven't checked a FAQ, just going by what I've seen so far.

I've completed all but 2 challenges (the 2 I haven't unlocked) with Catwoman, but really struggled with some of Batman's so far on the same maps. Seems tougher to work in his gadgets, and he doesn't have the whip knockdown move. His AoE stun isn't as good.

Just finished the main storyline and almost all of the sidequests. Still need two more hostages and most of the Riddler trophies, but so far, GOTY.

A more detailed review coming soon. Thanks again to my Secret Stanta, Edwin!

Sooooo, Batman/GFWL deleted my save game today. Good thing it had the decency to wait until I'd finished. IMAGE(http://rps.net/QS/Images/Smilies/bomb.gif)

For various reasons, I canceled my Sunday night backup and forgot to resume, so my most recent save was from Christmas morning. Back to 37%.

If you're having trouble with the Batman combat challenges, a friend showed me a trick. I hate it, but it helped me get all 12 rooms with 3 medals each.

Just use that ridiculous bat combo. Yes, the one where the swirl comes out. Don't ever use the takedown. You may use the combo that disassembles weapons as well. If you want/need the multiplier for using multiple combos, just do it on the second to last guy, and finish the last guy with a beatdown.

The bat combo keeps everybody at bay. Do it close enough to them, and even the Titan thugs flinch. I felt super cheap doing it (I don't think Batman wastes time with thugs, he always seems pretty expedient in the comics) but it certainly did well. I got over 100K in one of the 60K challenges, and I'm sure I could do even better.

Ridiculous Bat combo? Swirls? Are you talking about the one where bats swarm around and everyone gets stunned?

BlackSabre wrote:

Ridiculous Bat combo? Swirls? Are you talking about the one where bats swarm around and everyone gets stunned?

Yes. I'm sorry, it just seems so dumb to me. The combat challenges, in my mind, should be about being Batman. So points should be awarded for how quickly you beat it, taking as little damage as possible, eliminating the most serious threats ASAP.

Instead, you get points for getting maximum hits, which means keeping everybody alive as long as possible, stunning everybody, and going back infor the light blows, not the fight enders. I got 300th in the world (on PC) in one of the challenges (Extreme, even) by doing this. It just feels very un-Batman to me.

Have about 26 hours in and completed the main story. I just dont know if I like this one more than AA, off hand I think I do. The one gripe I have with this game is its DLC, they really need to balance challenge packs with something that allows more flexibility in the story mode. Why have a robin,nightwing DLC if you cant use them in the story mode, why have a skins pack if you cant use them in the story mode until you finish the game AND complete all the challenge maps.

That one I dont get

So I enjoyed Arkham City enough to go back and play Arkham Asylum and to finally give that a fair shot. Man is that game good. Better than AC. Especially the Scarecrow levels. I want to find more games that are in 3D and then cleverly use 2D now and then.

DSGamer wrote:

So I enjoyed Arkham City enough to go back and play Arkham Asylum and to finally give that a fair shot. Man is that game good. Better than AC. Especially the Scarecrow levels. I want to find more games that are in 3D and then cleverly use 2D now and then.

That was something where I think AA over did it. Having one Scarecrow level was fine, having 3 of them where each of them work the same way was repetative. I was glad when Scarecrow didnt appear in AC.

I'm about 3 hours in. Enjoying it so far. I played AA with a mouse and keyboard but always had a bit of difficulty with it so I'm using my 360 controller for AC. Enjoying myself so far. The group fights are fantastic as is running around Arkham City. Due to the open nature the pacing is off and I'm not as interested in the story as I was in AA.

I'm about to start this game and was wondering if it's possible to finish side stuff after you finish the main quest. And is there a new game plus?

BNice wrote:

I'm about to start this game and was wondering if it's possible to finish side stuff after you finish the main quest. And is there a new game plus?

Both. You can go back into the world post "ending" to do side stuff and riddles, but you can also do a game+.

MannishBoy wrote:
BNice wrote:

I'm about to start this game and was wondering if it's possible to finish side stuff after you finish the main quest. And is there a new game plus?

Both. You can go back into the world post "ending" to do side stuff and riddles, but you can also do a game+.

Sweet, thanks.

Finished main quest and loved the game on the PC (good thing about playing late is patches, I had zero issues with steam and GWFL). Only have watcher, secret killer and riddler stuff to do.

I really think these 2 games are my favorite iteration of Batman. By no means have I read everything Batman, but these games make him just so bad arse. I love just walking down the streets and fighting everyone I see!

I want to finish the side quests (although I did not know you have to find all the Riddler stuff to save the last Riddler hostage) but I'm not super interested in the challenge maps.

DSGamer wrote:

So I enjoyed Arkham City enough to go back and play Arkham Asylum and to finally give that a fair shot. Man is that game good. Better than AC. Especially the Scarecrow levels. I want to find more games that are in 3D and then cleverly use 2D now and then.

I'll second the remarks on the Scarecrow levels being a bore by the third iteration, but that's not knocking them - they're one of my favorite gameplay change-ups of the past five years.

But yeah, AA is probably the better game of the two on account of it being more focused - smaller environment, less fetchquestery, and better in atmosphere. The morgue? The sewer sequence? The insane inmates in the grounds? Creepy stuff for a superhero game. I never really got that from AC.

What AC stands out for, though, is having game environments that were extremely well designed and actually tended to make sense. It took a good three hours in to AA to get "there's no way there are this many gargoyles inside of buildings and buildings inside of buildings!" out of my head, and even then, I was conscious of my willful suspension of disbelief. I know there are concessions you have to make when you're trying to successfully fuse stealth action and free-flowing brawler combat, but still, that was my big complaint. I can't think of any moments in AC where I had similar thoughts about the environments. If they occurred, they were minor enough or small enough in the way of frequency to not be an issue. Wonder City might be an exception, but that's got context, so it's not a worry.

That said? I went back and obsessively tackled the remaining Riddler trophies and puzzles in AA, whereas I've gone back to AC only a few times in the past few months without finishing everything off. I even forgot to do the most recent holiday visit to Calendar Man. It doesn't really worry me too much.

Yeah I couldn't bring myself to finish off the 100% in AC. I might yet, but it just doesn't call to me like AA did.

I did complete all the combat challenges with 3 batarangs. But I really don't enjoy the Predator ones enough to do those.

Finished this today, outstanding game.

I will pay cash money for a full game of Catwoman in this spirit of the Arkham games.

TrashiDawa wrote:

Finished this today, outstanding game.

I will pay cash money for a full game of Catwoman in this spirit of the Arkham games.

I will pay cash money for a full game of Catwoman in the same spirit as the Arkham games where her dialogue isn't rife with coquetteish innuendo and her voice actress refrains from doing that stupid pouty/sultry thing.

Seriously. I loved the controls for Catwoman - holy crap, locomotion that beats that of the Bat!- but even beyond the boob-tacular ludicrosity of the character model and the exaggerated hipshake of her walk, I found the scripting and acting for her to be horrible and offensive. It stood out even more because they did a few things right, particularly in the way they gave her agency by having her (paraphrasing here) take a "I'm taking what's there's for my own!" legit burglar stance. Pouty/sultry doesn't play well with the rogue archetype. I want the full-on rogue, self-interested interpretation of the character - that's when she's most compelling!

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not saying this so much for the sake of moralizing or being PC. It's more that I don't think the portrayal of Catwoman in AC is interesting, but rather lazy and cliched, and it's a shame they worked out some bad-ass play mechanics and control movements for her and then threw it away with an obvious, borderline lazy take on the character. As it stands, I don't care about AC's Catwoman. I could say otherwise and am perhaps biased because I've seen the character portrayed interestingly elsewhere.