75% of BP oil spill cleaned/dissolved. Remaining 25% might take longer
So the big headline today is that government scientists have declared that about 75% of the BP oil spill is gone. Evaporated, biodegraded, metabolized by bacteria, scooped up and dumped in a landfill, scooped up and processed into crap BP can see, etc.
What I've also heard is that the remaining 25% - and I don't know the precise quantities so it could be a great deal less than that - might not go away so quickly. Don't think of it as some sort of timer that starts ticking the moment the oil is exposed. Instead, think of it as three-fourths of the ingredients in that sludge evaporating, leaving behind something different and more durable. That stuff could stick around for months, or years, or decades. Maybe even longer.
Don't get me wrong, it's good that the slick is largely taken care of. What worries me is that there seems to be some implication that the next 25% will be just as quick and easy as the first 75% and that soon it'll be like there was never any spill to begin with. I don't think we'll be quite so lucky.