I'm so excited, that I just have to share this news. After years of silence, Alien Swarm is being released on monday, and unexpectedly, it's free! This is a follow up to the amazing UT2K4 mod. From the steam page, it appears that the mod team was hired by Valve, which is a great result for them.
Alien Swarm is a wonderful top down cooperative game, and remains one of my favorite multiplayer experiences. I think that the coop of the original game has been unmatched thus far, and I'm very excited to see what they have done in the sequel. If you have any interest in coop at all, I highly recommend checking it out!
If you haven't had the pleasure of playing the original, This fantastic article on RPS gives a good feel for how the game plays. (Thanks Erik)
Valve Press Release[/url]]Two years ago Valve hired the talented team behind the popular top down co-op mod Alien Swarm. Since then they have been busy working on the Left 4 Dead Series, and now Portal 2. However, we never forgot about Alien Swarm and the team has spent a lot of time bringing the game to Source in between their contributions to the other Valve projects.
On Monday, July 19th Alien Swarm is going to be released for free via Steam.
In addition to the game, Valve will also release the complete code base for Alien Swarm. This includes updates to the Source engine SDK and full Steamworks integration. If you’ve ever thought about developing a mod on the Source engine with Steamworks, this release provides more insight and examples for using Steamworks in game production.
The steam group is now too large to display all members in the friends window. Since this is a match made game and we don't have an official server, I thought I'd post a work around for joining games with people who are not already on your friends list.
- If you are trying to organize a match, consider joining the group chat room by clicking the triangle next to the group name in the friends window. From here, you will be able to join the game of anyone else in the chat.
- If someone has posted an announcement, another way to join is simply through the group members list on the group steam page. Anyone who is in a game will have a "Join" link next to their name.
I hope this helps!
Alien Swarm Classic
For those of you who miss the feel and difficulty of the first game, like I do, here are some console commands that return the game to 'classic.'
- For me, the most important commands are:
- asw_marine_ff_absorption 0
- Disables the default friendly fire damage damping so that full friendly fire is always in effect.
- asw_marine_collision 1
- Gives marines a physical presence, so they don't pass through each other like ghosts.
- asw_horde_override 1
- Causes periodic L4D style hordes to spawn.
- asw_wanderer_override 1
- Allows aliens to spawn anywhere.
- asw_realistic_death_chatter 1 + asw_hear_from_marine 1
- Together these seem to activate periodic marine banter, such as Wildcat and Wolfe teasing each other about their kill counts.
The following make the alien spawns a little more dynamic:
I have the first two in my autoexec.cfg so they are enabled for all games that I host.
[size=11]Sorry about my terrible 'shop skills[/size]