El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron

Ignition Entertainment's Shane Bettenhausen's power compels you to view the E3 trailer!

If you dig esoteric Japanese third person character action games loosely based on the Dead Sea Scrolls, this is the game for you!

He said on a 1up podcast that the game is fairly early, and that some of the stark environments seen are purposefully so, while some are placeholders. Either way, this game looks really interesting. Particularly around the 2:30 mark in the trailer.

I really love brawlers, and I dig the look of this game, but that combat looked kind of unimpressive.

Val Kilmer should sue

Why do they hate shirts of the proper length in Japan?

MannishBoy wrote:

Why do they hate shirts of the proper length in Japan?

There are kids in San Antonio, TX that are wearing raccoon tails from the backs of their pants, howling at the moon, and calling themselves wolfpacks. There's plenty of weird sh*t here, too. We shouldn't judge.

Seriously though, I've been wondering if the lack of this sorta thing in western games is due to more creative freedom for developers in Japan. Personally I have no problem with the odd Japanese sensibilities, but I grew up playing their games. A lot of people on this site did not.

Blind_Evil wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:

Why do they hate shirts of the proper length in Japan?

There are kids in San Antonio, TX that are wearing raccoon tails from the backs of their pants, howling at the moon, and calling themselves wolfpacks. There's plenty of weird sh*t here, too. We shouldn't judge.

Seriously though, I've been wondering if the lack of this sorta thing in western games is due to more creative freedom for developers in Japan. Personally I have no problem with the odd Japanese sensibilities, but I grew up playing their games. A lot of people on this site did not.

That wasn't a serious comment to get worked up about. Really.

MannishBoy wrote:
Blind_Evil wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:

Why do they hate shirts of the proper length in Japan?

There are kids in San Antonio, TX that are wearing raccoon tails from the backs of their pants, howling at the moon, and calling themselves wolfpacks. There's plenty of weird sh*t here, too. We shouldn't judge.

Seriously though, I've been wondering if the lack of this sorta thing in western games is due to more creative freedom for developers in Japan. Personally I have no problem with the odd Japanese sensibilities, but I grew up playing their games. A lot of people on this site did not.

That wasn't a serious comment to get worked up about. Really.

That thar bolded bit means I was joking prior.

Just reading the name causes an earworm of an old Amy Grant song. I'll probably at least rent it, though.

momgamer wrote:

Just reading the name causes an earworm of an old Amy Grant song. I'll probably at least rent it, though.

I thought I was the only one who thought that upon reading the title.

MannishBoy wrote:

Why do they hate shirts of the proper length in Japan?

For proper tentacle ventilation.

But seriously though:

Blind_Evil wrote:

If you dig esoteric Japanese third person character action games loosely based on the Dead Sea Scrolls, this is the game for you!

I was doing some reading up on this and it's based on the Book of The Watchers, which is the first 36 chapters of the Book of Enoch.

For the love of the gods, they're not "werewolves". They're f*cking FURRIES.

cube wrote:

For the love of the gods, they're not "werewolves". They're f*cking FURRIES.

Oh rigth, that changes everything

feeank wrote:

Val Kilmer should sue

Or Alan Rickman

momgamer wrote:

Just reading the name causes an earworm of an old Amy Grant song. I'll probably at least rent it, though.

It's true. My immediate thoughts were of summers spent traveling in the family Chevy Astro listening to that tape over and over again. Can we have a Japanese action game referencing Sandi Patti, please?

Interesting art style. I'm curious to see how this evolves (and whether it ever makes it State-side).

ClockworkHouse wrote:

Interesting art style. I'm curious to see how this evolves (and whether it ever makes it State-side).

I doubt Shane would've talked so much about the game on the 1up podcast if they weren't planning a NA and EU release. Also called it their highest budgeted game ever. My gut tells me it'll make its way over.

Definitely interested.

Hurray for no space marines!

Perplexing that they went with "God Almighty" when the game's about God needing you to help Him.

momgamer wrote:

Just reading the name causes an earworm of an old Amy Grant song.

Amy Grant sang a song called El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron?

ExitPursuedByBear wrote:
momgamer wrote:

Just reading the name causes an earworm of an old Amy Grant song.

Amy Grant sang a song called El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron?

That was the 12 inch remix.

ExitPursuedByBear wrote:
momgamer wrote:

Just reading the name causes an earworm of an old Amy Grant song.

Amy Grant sang a song called El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron?

Close. It's just El Shaddai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o7Na...

El Shaddai is one of the Judaic names of God. And Metatron isnt made up or just sci-fi, either - it's the name of an angel in old Judaic texts.

Darksiders got hit with this all over, too. Names, places, you name it. I knew exactly who was the turn-coat who caused the big problem as soon as he "died" in the first opening scene. They called the guy Abbadon, which is associated with, among other things, an interpretation of one of the parts of Hell itself, the fallen angel with the keys to Hell, and is ascribed by some people to be one of the names of Satan. DUH.

It's one of the hard things about using references like this in popular media. There's just so much thematic baggage. Maybe I should write an article comparing and contrasting Darksiders and that Hindu game Hanuman that bombed so badly there?

Attempting to read Harry Potter showed me just how much a work is expected to hit you over the head with characterization.

Except in the case of if you're thinking of who I'm thinking you're thinking of.

Did you finish all seven?

wordsmythe wrote:

Attempting to read Harry Potter showed me just how much a work is expected to hit you over the head with characterization.

I blame Dickens.

Only watched a small amount of the trailer with the sound off and half-paying attention. Looks like a stylized cel-shaded God of War type game. I like the look of it, though.

momgamer wrote:

Except in the case of if you're thinking of who I'm thinking you're thinking of.

Did you finish all seven?

I didn't make it halfway through the first one. I don't need to go fishing for more reading that will waste my time.

ClockworkHouse wrote:
wordsmythe wrote:

Attempting to read Harry Potter showed me just how much a work is expected to hit you over the head with characterization.

I blame Dickens.

Yeah, but the next generations of novelists did a good job of getting over that/themselves. Except maybe that Faulkner guy.

Dude, it's like shounen anime. If you're 12, it's better than Shakespeare. If you're an adult, it's a lurid fingerpainting drawn with a palsied hand on a textured wall.

Sometimes I'm in the mood for fingerpainting.

The third through seventh Harry Potter books are leagues better than the first two. Also, the first two are (somewhat) improved by revelations in the other ones.

I dismissed them after reading the first two in early high school, but after seeing the fourth movie on a date decided to finish the series. By the end I was rapt, and I pride myself on having fairly sophisticated literary tastes.

Regarding the biblical references, you see this a lot in the Shin Megami Tensei (Persona games, most notably) series. Most of my interest in this sort of thing was kindled by off-hand video game references I was confused by as a youngster.

Blind_Evil wrote:

Regarding the biblical references, you see this a lot in the Shin Megami Tensei (Persona games, most notably) series. Most of my interest in this sort of thing was kindled by off-hand video game references I was confused by as a youngster.

Actually there are usually far more in the main SMT games like Nocturne, and Strange Journey was overflowing with them.

Lard wrote:
Blind_Evil wrote:

Regarding the biblical references, you see this a lot in the Shin Megami Tensei (Persona games, most notably) series. Most of my interest in this sort of thing was kindled by off-hand video game references I was confused by as a youngster.

Actually there are usually far more in the main SMT games like Nocturne, and Strange Journey was overflowing with them.

This man has called me out for only beating the first two Persona games.

Didn't much like the last two or the main SMT games, but that's not really important.

Blind_Evil wrote:

The third through seventh Harry Potter books are leagues better than the first two. Also, the first two are (somewhat) improved by revelations in the other ones.

I dismissed them after reading the first two in early high school, but after seeing the fourth movie on a date decided to finish the series. By the end I was rapt, and I pride myself on having fairly sophisticated literary tastes.

I've seen the movies through Phoenix. In fact, I watched them all in one week so that I could see Phoenix in theaters as one of my first dates with E Hunnie. Other people, including my wife, are allowed to have different tastes. But that was more than enough for me.