I dumped cable TV, and still have loads to watch

Well, I'm back in the pay for TV world. The deal was actually a bit less than I thought.

When I ran the numbers on what I spend on Walking Dead, The Closer, and American Horror Story, and added what I would be willing to pay the NHL and MLB if they would let me watch the Blues and Cardinals, this is nearly a wash. But it won't be next year, although it will still be a good deal. but in two years, I expect to drop out again, unless they make it worth my while. The days of paying $80 to $100 a month are gone.

Jayhawker wrote:

As an added bonus, Tivo is back with DirecTV. One of the nicest parts of leaving DirecTV was getting a Tivo DVR again. DirecTV's DVRs were pretty awful compared to Tivo.

I've had a DirecTV DVR for about a year and a half now and think it's pretty decent. The interface can be a little slow at times but it's always done what it's supposed to do with no problems.

Sheazy wrote:
clever id wrote:
Sheazy wrote:

My wife and I are going to be making this switch with our move next month. We'll still have netflix and amazon through the ps3, but are there any recommendations on a good antenna for picking up OTA (HD) TV?

I may be a bit late, but I've heard good things about the mohu leaf antenna. I've been meaning to picking one up, but haven't got around to budgeting it yet. They also have a amplified version.

A bit late - I had actually already bought this exact antenna by the time I saw this post. Thanks :)

Sheazy, just wondering if you ever put the Mohu Leaf antenna to use and if so, how did it work for you? I've got a couple different antennas in the house for OTA signal, neither of which work as well as I'd like. Being able to mount that flat antenna to the wall hidden behind the tv would be nice. I'm not really sure whether the powered version would be worth the extra expense or not, either.

Jayhawker wrote:

Well, I'm back in the pay for TV world. The deal was actually a bit less than I thought.

When I ran the numbers on what I spend on Walking Dead, The Closer, and American Horror Story, and added what I would be willing to pay the NHL and MLB if they would let me watch the Blues and Cardinals, this is nearly a wash. But it won't be next year, although it will still be a good deal. but in two years, I expect to drop out again, unless they make it worth my while. The days of paying $80 to $100 a month are gone.

The DirecTV DVR's are pretty awesome now. In my experience much better than the TIVO models.

fleabagmatt wrote:
Sheazy wrote:
clever id wrote:
Sheazy wrote:

My wife and I are going to be making this switch with our move next month. We'll still have netflix and amazon through the ps3, but are there any recommendations on a good antenna for picking up OTA (HD) TV?

I may be a bit late, but I've heard good things about the mohu leaf antenna. I've been meaning to picking one up, but haven't got around to budgeting it yet. They also have a amplified version.

A bit late - I had actually already bought this exact antenna by the time I saw this post. Thanks :)

Sheazy, just wondering if you ever put the Mohu Leaf antenna to use and if so, how did it work for you? I've got a couple different antennas in the house for OTA signal, neither of which work as well as I'd like. Being able to mount that flat antenna to the wall hidden behind the tv would be nice. I'm not really sure whether the powered version would be worth the extra expense or not, either.

Honestly, I'm sure not sure how good it is. It's the first antenna I've used since I was a kid, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. Mostly, it feels fine - we get channels, and they come in well, usually. I just don't have a sense for if it should be much better, or if I should be blown away. We watch so little OTA TV anyway that this does the job just fine. Sorry I can't be more helpful!

So I see there's a Hulu Plus app for the Wii now. Anyone have any experience with it?

Sheazy wrote:
fleabagmatt wrote:
Sheazy wrote:
clever id wrote:
Sheazy wrote:

My wife and I are going to be making this switch with our move next month. We'll still have netflix and amazon through the ps3, but are there any recommendations on a good antenna for picking up OTA (HD) TV?

I may be a bit late, but I've heard good things about the mohu leaf antenna. I've been meaning to picking one up, but haven't got around to budgeting it yet. They also have a amplified version.

A bit late - I had actually already bought this exact antenna by the time I saw this post. Thanks :)

Sheazy, just wondering if you ever put the Mohu Leaf antenna to use and if so, how did it work for you? I've got a couple different antennas in the house for OTA signal, neither of which work as well as I'd like. Being able to mount that flat antenna to the wall hidden behind the tv would be nice. I'm not really sure whether the powered version would be worth the extra expense or not, either.

Honestly, I'm sure not sure how good it is. It's the first antenna I've used since I was a kid, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. Mostly, it feels fine - we get channels, and they come in well, usually. I just don't have a sense for if it should be much better, or if I should be blown away. We watch so little OTA TV anyway that this does the job just fine. Sorry I can't be more helpful!

To see what size antenna you need, along with where it needs to be pointed, www.antennaweb.org is the place to go. Put in your address and it will tell you what you need for your local stations.

Agent 86 wrote:

So I see there's a Hulu Plus app for the Wii now. Anyone have any experience with it?

It's okay. The interface is a little clunky but the picture quality isn't bad. It's not a bad experience, by any means, although I use the Roku app instead.

Apparently you can sign up for Hulu Plus through this form and get 6 months free.

SixteenBlue wrote:

Apparently you can sign up for Hulu Plus through this form and get 6 months free.

I got a "this promotion has ended" message.

fleabagmatt wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:

Apparently you can sign up for Hulu Plus through this form and get 6 months free.

I got a "this promotion has ended" message.

Bummer. I just saw it posted on Slickdeals. Read the comments enough to see people had success, I guess it was still a short window of time.

We're getting cable this week with Time Warner (ugh). We've been doing the Netflix/Hulu/CBS website,etc viewing for quite a while now. It worked well for a few years, but as has been mentioned, we like Food Network and I want to get back into Football and Basketball. I think I've also reached the point where I still use Netflix, but I tend to turn it on now and flip through the movies and TV shows and say "seen that, seen that, seen that". It took a couple years, but I've sort of exhausted Netflix. It's exciting when a show we like get's the "New Episodes" image. Yay, a new season!

Thread arise!

The Roku 3 is out now and we're considering finally losing cable ourselves. I don't see what really differentiates it from the Roku 2 XS though. Anyone able to offer input?

Dr_Awkward wrote:

Thread arise!

The Roku 3 is out now and we're considering finally losing cable ourselves. I don't see what really differentiates it from the Roku 2 XS though. Anyone able to offer input?

Dual-band wireless.
Private listening through remote control's headphone jack.

Oh and the processor is supposed to be "5" times faster.

The new UI will eventually go to all other Roku boxes so that isn't a selling point.

I'm tempted because I love my Roku 2 XS but I'm not feeling a huge urge.

Elliottx wrote:
Dr_Awkward wrote:

Thread arise!

The Roku 3 is out now and we're considering finally losing cable ourselves. I don't see what really differentiates it from the Roku 2 XS though. Anyone able to offer input?

Dual-band wireless.
Private listening through remote control's headphone jack.

Oh and the processor is supposed to be "5" times faster.

The new UI will eventually go to all other Roku boxes so that isn't a selling point.

I'm tempted because I love my Roku 2 XS but I'm not feeling a huge urge.

I'm tempted by that dual-band feature (our neighborhood is crowded with Wifi networks, having issues connecting reliably to ours lately) and the headphone jack. I watch a lot of stuff at night and it'd be great to not wake up my family.

Dr_Awkward wrote:

Thread arise!

The Roku 3 is out now and we're considering finally losing cable ourselves. I don't see what really differentiates it from the Roku 2 XS though. Anyone able to offer input?

A faster processor and a headphone jack built into the remote.

EDIT: D'oh, Tanhaussered!

Nice. Thanks guys. I think we're in.

Dude. The headphone jack in the remote is a brilliant idea. How has nobody done that before? Decent wireless headphones are freaking expensive.

Dr_Awkward wrote:

Nice. Thanks guys. I think we're in.

We cut the cord three years ago. It was painful at first but now we (and especially our kids) love it.

hbi2k wrote:

Dude. The headphone jack in the remote is a brilliant idea. How has nobody done that before? Decent wireless headphones are freaking expensive.

Until you can't find your remote. Our kids hauled ours off somewhere and I haven't seen it for a few weeks. Good thing Roku has a remote app for android.

The new interface looks slick, especially the unified search.

So! Got that Roku and setup was a snap. We had Prime already and I signed up for Hulu Plus to help cover the TV side of content.

Is there still a lot of overlap with Prime and Netflix?
Any other channels worth looking at?

Dr_Awkward wrote:

Is there still a lot of overlap with Prime and Netflix?
Any other channels worth looking at?

I would love for there to be a website similar to instantwatcher.com that allowed you to compare the offerings of Prime and Netflix.

They seem to have a great deal of the same content, but trade off with each other. For example, all Stargate SG-1 used to be on Netflix. Now it's on Prime. Downton Abbey's moving to Amazon next season, etc.

Amazon's nice because you can also rent some newer movies if you don't want to wait for the content or bother hitting a Redbox.

TBH, I haven't really tried many other channels. I tried one of the other movie channels (VUDU, Epix?) and that was too much like Hulu for my taste (10 minutes of the movie and then a smash cut over to the same crappy ad). Five years of being cable free have made me exceptionally intolerant of ads.

I've added PlayOn, but only so I have a way to watch some YouTube content on the TV. It's not the best solution, but Google and Roku can't seem to come to an agreement for an official Roku YouTube channel.

Dr_Awkward wrote:

So! Got that Roku and setup was a snap. We had Prime already and I signed up for Hulu Plus to help cover the TV side of content.

Is there still a lot of overlap with Prime and Netflix?
Any other channels worth looking at?

I'd digitize your existing DVD collection and set up Plex Media Server, it's free. You can just set it up on a Windows, Linux, Mac or NAS. Roku has a Plex app. Having your movie collection available at a push of a button would be pretty nice.

We digitized our DVD collection and put the media files on an external hard drive attached to the Roku itself. No need for any sort of server (we don't own a desktop) and viewing our videos remotely isn't a concern. You can play back videos, music, and photos on an external hard drive through the Roku USB Media channel.

Truly we are living in the future.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

We digitized our DVD collection and put the media files on an external hard drive attached to the Roku itself. No need for any sort of server (we don't own a desktop) and viewing our videos remotely isn't a concern. You can play back videos, music, and photos on an external hard drive through the Roku USB Media channel.

I'd be interested in doing this. What would you guys recommend as the optimal method for ripping DVDs and BluRays?

I don't currently use Hulu plus but just learned it has a pause feature where you can pause your account. You can then un pause when there is something on it you want to watch.

OG_slinger wrote:
Dr_Awkward wrote:

Is there still a lot of overlap with Prime and Netflix?
Any other channels worth looking at?

I would love for there to be a website similar to instantwatcher.com that allowed you to compare the offerings of Prime and Netflix.

They seem to have a great deal of the same content, but trade off with each other. For example, all Stargate SG-1 used to be on Netflix. Now it's on Prime. Downton Abbey's moving to Amazon next season, etc.

Amazon's nice because you can also rent some newer movies if you don't want to wait for the content or bother hitting a Redbox.

TBH, I haven't really tried many other channels. I tried one of the other movie channels (VUDU, Epix?) and that was too much like Hulu for my taste (10 minutes of the movie and then a smash cut over to the same crappy ad). Five years of being cable free have made me exceptionally intolerant of ads.

I've added PlayOn, but only so I have a way to watch some YouTube content on the TV. It's not the best solution, but Google and Roku can't seem to come to an agreement for an official Roku YouTube channel.

Oh great, I didn't know SG1 was on prime. I was going to watch be then it vanished from netflix when I was ready. I created a watch order for the movies and stuff. Now I having something to jump on after I finish DS9.

If you have a decent home network and need a hard drive anyways, you could look at some of the network connected ones as well. My WD one works pretty well. Set up as a share in the network, and I can also FTP into it when I'm out of the house if I need to.

I just run my ripped movies off of that.