LOTRO: Free-to-Play

Well you can always go back to the shire to help overthrow Saruman... I liked that part of the books.

I have reinstalled this on my PC although I haven't gotten around to starting it and trying to log in. I dropped off after the Mines of Moria expansion due to Mass Effect or Dragon age or something like that... I had the lifetime subscription thing, but I don't know how useful that is today.

Mines of Moria drove me away from the game a while back, then I finally decided to slog through it. Once past it, my interest perked up again. I quit around level 60 due to distractions, but it looks like there's plenty of high level content available now.

I emailed support as I can't get the password reset email to come through... so far no response...

My first glitch with the Standing Stones Games takeover: my VIP status simply disappeared.
Some time ago I went with the yearly subscription rather than the monthly (SO should have gotten a lifetime membership). Suddenly over the weekend I was told to delete one of my characters and couldn't access any VIP features or areas. Plenty of helpful, "get a VIP account" suggestions at those denials. It took SSG 3 days to get back to me, stating they didn't know what happened, but just to get a new VIP membership.

Nothing too serious, I suppose. Just a loss of the only gaming time I've had in weeks, and a poor showing from the new owners of one of my favorite games.

Running Man wrote:

I'm getting back into Lotro, but dumb question: is the Mordor expansion considered the final one? I mean, is it going to involve a showdown with Sauron, or will there be further dlc for that?

I think somewhere in an interview they stated that they had 2-3 years worth of story in mind, though it wasn't obvious how much of that would be additional DLC packs.

Got my log in info back finally... now I can't log in due to this error:

Failed to queue for server (0x80004005)

Everyone here is on Landroval right? Eventually when I log in I intend on goofing around a little... probably not a lot. lol Toddlers and MMOs don't mix well.

manta173 wrote:

Got my log in info back finally... now I can't log in due to this error:

Failed to queue for server (0x80004005)

Everyone here is on Landroval right? Eventually when I log in I intend on goofing around a little... probably not a lot. lol Toddlers and MMOs don't mix well.

I was logged in from about 9:30 pm Eastern until a little after midnight and didn't notice any connectivity issues.

Yeah I got a lot of search hits that it meant the server was down. I also saw one from 2013 that said update the client to a different language and change it back. That didn't help either. Uninstall reinstall is my next step I guess.

I've been playing LOTRO again, currently playing as a hunter named Gwingorviel. Despite getting into the end of the beta and having bought every expansion besides Mordor since then, the highest character I have is level 52. Gwingorviel is now 50, and I'm taking her through the Goblin Town content (I've never seen it before). My original goal was to stick to the Epic Quests as much as possible. In Volume 1, the 'Fall of Morodith' (sp?) turns out to not be very solo-hunter friendly (at least, Ive found it impossible to defeat, and all of complaints about difficulty I have found have been from hunters). I could just skip to Volume 2 content I think, but I've been enjoying leveling up a bit further and finally seeing other things that are new to me.

I created a kinship, primarily because I thought there were some useful bonuses that came from higher-ranked kinships. I suspect I was mixing them up with WoW guild bonuses though, as now that I've actually looked at the wiki, none of the bonuses I was thinking of are listed. But if any Goodjers are looking to join a kinship and don't want to be bothered with any potential requirements from a 'real' kinship, feel free to yell at me for an invite.

How is the community these days? Easy to find other players?

jrralls wrote:

How is the community these days? Easy to find other players?

I've never had issues running into other players. Places like Bree can get particularly crowded.

jrralls wrote:

How is the community these days? Easy to find other players?

World chat on Landroval always seems pretty busy these days. While roaming around low level areas I saw more people than I expected to, but still not all that many, and none of us ever initiated conversation.

World chat being busy isn't necessary always a good thing; it seems like there is a rather large contingent of alt-right and 'alt-right accepting' folks. Fortunately the ignore list is large (though I think there is a cap, I'm not sure what it is), and adding people to it is easy.

absurddoctor wrote:

. In Volume 1, the 'Fall of Morodith' (sp?) turns out to not be very solo-hunter friendly (at least, Ive found it impossible to defeat, and all of complaints about difficulty I have found have been from hunters). I could just skip to Volume 2 content I think, but I've been enjoying leveling up a bit further and finally seeing other things that are new to me.

I'm Kiarmuid, level 108 Hunter on Landroval. Feel free to page me if you'd like some help where you get stuck. The devs made the Epic quests solo-able awhile back, though there can be some sticking points. Its worth the ride, I am convinced.

I'm already in a kinship, but thanks for the invitation to goodjers.

Jakobedlam wrote:
absurddoctor wrote:

. In Volume 1, the 'Fall of Morodith' (sp?) turns out to not be very solo-hunter friendly (at least, Ive found it impossible to defeat, and all of complaints about difficulty I have found have been from hunters). I could just skip to Volume 2 content I think, but I've been enjoying leveling up a bit further and finally seeing other things that are new to me.

I'm Kiarmuid, level 108 Hunter on Landroval. Feel free to page me if you'd like some help where you get stuck. The devs made the Epic quests solo-able awhile back, though there can be some sticking points. Its worth the ride, I am convinced.

I'm already in a kinship, but thanks for the invitation to goodjers.

Thanks! Going through the epic quests is my main goal. Despite playing in beta and ending up as a Founder (though, sadly, not a Lifer), I never got that far down the line even after they were made solo-friendly. I witnessed the departure of The Fellowship for the first time recently, and that was such a cool treat (though, it was a bit odd when I could still run into members in Rivendell right afterwards, I thought maybe they would phase out for me or some such).

I'm trying to solo my way through it for the first time - I'm a Founder but always been in two person groups. Now my LM is lvl 42 and just about to finish Evendim off. The only annoying thing is that while they may have made all the Epic stuff soloable, they haven't done the same to the Tomb of Elendil. I think in all my time I've only done that once, with a 6 person PUG.

I wish I could figure out why I can't log in, but the pull is not strong enough for me to keep wasting evenings uninstalling reinstalling.

davet010 wrote:

I'm trying to solo my way through it for the first time - I'm a Founder but always been in two person groups. Now my LM is lvl 42 and just about to finish Evendim off. The only annoying thing is that while they may have made all the Epic stuff soloable, they haven't done the same to the Tomb of Elendil. I think in all my time I've only done that once, with a 6 person PUG.

I think I started that quest with a group once and never was able to complete it, I'd love a chance to do so at some point.

manta173 wrote:

I wish I could figure out why I can't log in, but the pull is not strong enough for me to keep wasting evenings uninstalling reinstalling.

Yuck :/ Wish i had some ideas that hadn't already been mentioned.

Any recommendations on websites to look at for class spec info similar to icy-veins? Or other sites with game info other than lotro.com?

lotro-wiki.com is pretty good, I use that a fair amount.

davet010 wrote:

lotro-wiki.com is pretty good, I use that a fair amount.

Thanks!

Dadi's Lotro Guide is pretty good too http://dadislotroguides.com/category... although most of the content deals with end game stuff.