LOTRO: Free-to-Play

Now....my old lvl 75 is in Rohan, but I've forgotten everything I ever knew about the game.

(starts thinking names for new toon).

Hmm, I usually go with hunter for solo..maybe i'll have a change.

Man you guys are making me want to try this game out, just going through the extended versions of the movies with my kids. Just love that world.

But I'm playing ESO and do not have time for 2 MMOs!

Must.....stay.....strong.....

Docjoe wrote:

But I'm playing ESO and do not have time for 2 MMOs!

These are actually the exact two MMOs I play. I bounce back and forth between them, though I must admit, I do like LOTRO more.

Veloxi wrote:
Docjoe wrote:

But I'm playing ESO and do not have time for 2 MMOs!

These are actually the exact two MMOs I play. I bounce back and forth between them, though I must admit, I do like LOTRO more.

The well-known lore of LOTRO certainly helps. It's not as if ESO has movies made based on its lore.

Hell, maybe it's time I re-read the books and pick up wandering the land in LOTRO again.

davet010 wrote:
manta173 wrote:
davet010 wrote:

Reinstalled it and I'm getting the flaming 201 error again when I try to boot the game up - and that was a complete clean install. Anyone got any suggestions ?

I didn't jump in back in March due to install issues myself... Let me know if you fix it.

Disables anti-virus.

Reinstalls game,

Crosses fingers.

Game starts

:)

Awesome! I'll jump on the Curse server when I'm on playing this weekend. Feel free to ping me.

Docjoe wrote:

Man you guys are making me want to try this game out, just going through the extended versions of the movies with my kids. Just love that world.

But I'm playing ESO and do not have time for 2 MMOs!

Must.....stay.....strong.....

This was EXACTLY what made me jump back on! lol

Ok FINE.

Sigh.

Downloading now.

What server?

I'm in Arkenstone my own self.

Everyone else is on Landroval, I think. Been a long time...

So is there a GWJ guild or some such thing? I'm guessing not....

Docjoe wrote:

So is there a GWJ guild or some such thing? I'm guessing not....

It has been a while, but there used to be a GWJ guild on Landroval that merged with another guild (which I believe has since merged again?)

My toons are on Landroval but I haven't played in a long time. This resurrection has me feeling the urge though! Veloxi's intermittent posts kept it in the back on my mind the last few months but now you all had to bring it forward

There is no time!

I'm on a EU server, but will happily set up a new toon on a US server if there's some GWJ'er guild going.

Elsewise I'm going to have to solo through - which is much more doable than it was when instances required six active players, but still, the thought of doing Moria on me own is a little daunting.

I've pretty much done everything solo. It's great.

So the pricing for the new Mordor expansion was posted today. $40 for the baseline (without high elves, weirdly), $80 adds the high elf race, another char slot, a mount, and some cosmetics, then $130 is the whole shebang with XP bonuses, teleports, etc.

I'm undecided on what to get. I'm sitting on tons of LOTRO points from a lifetime sub, but from what I'm reading they're only doing cash sales for the first month and won't be allowing the ingame store purchase. Hmm...

And another "hmm" that may not matter to most, the store page is still hosted by Turbine and not Standing Stone Games. I was under the impression that SSG was a separate entity, but now I'm not sure.

LINK

Osiran wrote:

So the pricing for the new Mordor expansion was posted today. $40 for the baseline (without high elves, weirdly), $80 adds the high elf race, another char slot, a mount, and some cosmetics, then $130 is the whole shebang with XP bonuses, teleports, etc.

I'm undecided on what to get. I'm sitting on tons of LOTRO points from a lifetime sub, but from what I'm reading they're only doing cash sales for the first month and won't be allowing the ingame store purchase. Hmm...

And another "hmm" that may not matter to most, the store page is still hosted by Turbine and not Standing Stone Games. I was under the impression that SSG was a separate entity, but now I'm not sure.

LINK

I will...likely get the $80 version.... eventually...

I played a ton back in the day. It may be too much for me as I've been gone for too long.

garion333 wrote:

Looks like they've done a good job updating the graphics. The best, too me, will always be the Shire at night.

Yes, that's a shot right out of the original game. No updated graphics there (Just one of the prettiest areas of the game).

I logged on Landroval after a long time gone. Diablo 3 has sort of warped my sensibilities as this game now seems overly complex. I realize I'm MANY updates behind on how to play well. No imbued bow for my Hunter, not sure about whether the essence system is worth it, more skirmish points than I'll ever use, etc.

But still my favorite game of all time, simply because of the loving way the designers treated Tolkien's works. You can feel the reverence in places like Annuminas and Orthanc. I'd like to get re-acquainted in time for Mordor. I bought the Ultimate pack, pretty much because I wanted to support the devs, encourage them to keep going for a while.

Anyone want to school me on the current state of play? I'm Kiarmuid on Landroval. Feel free to friend me.

Seems like we have a lot of Landroval people here. I'm a lifer since beta (guy in my Rolemaster group worked for Turbine on LOTRO and AC2). At the time it was unofficially the RP server so I joined in the hope that would at least put a dent in the idiot population.

My guild 'The Sundered' isn't too active any more but there's occasionally someone on. I log in occasionally to pick up my daily gifts and monthly allotment of points. My mains are Gudrik and Vinga.

I'm picking up the ultimate pack as well - Its way overpriced, but I want the game to succeed and keep on chugging updates out so that I can have fun in this wonderful world.

I'm a lifetimer as well, so I've saved quite a bunch of money over the years.

I play on Landroval as well. Look for Feldrel if you need some help.

I've started streaming LoTRO on Twitch (https://www.twitch.tv/toanstation) on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10:00 PM Eastern. I'm on Landroval. Feel free to stop by the stream or even join me in game.

I've just gotten a headset for my computer and was wanting to try voice chat in a role playing group in LOTRO. I'm pretty sure I set it up all right, but once I've enabled everything, how do I go about actually talking to other players? If I'm near them can they hear me?

jrralls, you'll need to be in a fellowship with someone for them to hear you over voice. They'll also need to have voice chat enabled.

One thing to keep in mind is that the LotRO client will not detect changes in available audio devices, so make sure you have your headset plugged in BEFORE you start the client.

I don't really have the time for an MMO, with the whole subscription fee and everything. I usually try each new F2P or popular entry (FFXIV comes to mind), but they remind me that I like WoW, and end up losing months to that game again.

But for free? Lord of the Rings theme? I could be tempted in to play super casually. Can we get a guild going?

LotRO is definitely casual friendly and definitely well steeped in lore.

Going live in about a half hour at https://www.twitch.tv/toanstion making my way to Pelargir. Let's see how many times the landscape tries to kill me tonight. No, not the landscape mobs, the landscape.

Toanstation wrote:

Feel free to stop by the stream or even join me in game.

who are you in game?

Jakobedlam wrote:
Toanstation wrote:

Feel free to stop by the stream or even join me in game.

who are you in game?

That is an excellent question. My main is Mairghread, a level 103 hobbit warden on Landroval.

Hey guys, FYI, you can now purchase the Mordor soundtrack directly from the composer!

http://www.hugesoundrecords.com/mordor/

Also, if you missed it, they also released a 10th anniversary set as well, which is really good!

http://www.hugesoundrecords.com/lotr...

About $25 for both, FYI.

I'm getting back into Lotro, but dumb question: is the Mordor expansion considered the final one? I mean, is it going to involve a showdown with Sauron, or will there be further dlc for that?