Twilight Struggle

I didn't realize the game used a chess clock for time in multiplayer; I had assumed it was between turns. Maybe I should have gotten a hint from the elo.

Made a PlayDek account now, "TheFerret".

I bought this after watching the Giantbomb quick look of it. I think I love this game. That said, I'm absolutely terrible at it.

Played an AI game this morning to learn the interface before I start up a vs. human game.

I can second the earlier comment the AI seems a bit clueless about defending European Control... which was lucky for me because otherwise I would have actually lost that game.

It also makes some odd Space Race choices. I'm not necessarily surprised to see Fidel sent to the moon, but it was a bit surprising to him shoved into a Soviet rocket instead of a U.S. one. This happened with a few other cards too, I would see the card played, get worried because it was a strong Soviet card... only to find out the Soviet AI was in fact just spacing it.

I picked this up for iPad and have played 6 or so games against the AI. Fun game! I've played a lot of 1960: The Making of the President and I think I'm starting to enjoy Twilight Struggle more. It's tense.

Anyone up for playing a slow paced game? I play a lot of asynchronous board game apps and am Chroso on Playdek.

So Brian Reynolds of Alpha Centauri/Rise of Nations fame is doing some Let's Plays of Twilight Struggle and they're great. I haven't watched the Turn Zero ones because I don't have that DLC and I'm not sure I'm interested but the vanilla (with optional cards) play through he's on is terrific.

I think he does a good job of explaining the basics of the game (starting setup, how coups work) while also getting deeper into what he's doing strategic and some general tips.

He's got me playing a bit of the game again although only against the AI (and boy do I wish the AI was better). When I did play online it was fun but I don't think I want to play a correspondence type game and I worry about life interrupting when playing a game with more time pressure.

Ooooo...that sounds great! Thanks for the recommendation! Hopefully it will help me understand why I'm terrible at it.

Rise, o thread!

Moving an emergent conversation about this game out of the Wargamers' Corner thread to keep it from cluttering up the focus there.

There are a handful of us playing the 2-player online version of Twilight Struggle on Steam. Really enjoying learning how to play this!

And I may have ordered the board game version as well...

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/eWZtIOe.jpg)

I'm looking forward to spending time learning Twilight Struggle. I've dipped my toes in a couple of times playing the AI with the digital version, playing online opponents is a new challenge.

If anyone playing is also interested in the subject matter, I read The Cold War: A World History by Odd Arne Westad just last year, it's a good overview of the power struggle between the US and USSR from 1945-89. My next book to read just happens to be Nuclear Folly - A New History of the Cuban Missile Crisis by Serhii Plokhy (his previous book Chernobyl - History of a Tragedy, was excellent).

Neutrino wrote:

I'm looking forward to spending time learning Twilight Struggle. I've dipped my toes in a couple of times playing the AI with the digital version, playing online opponents is a new challenge.

If anyone playing is also interested in the subject matter, I read The Cold War: A World History by Odd Arne Westad just last year, it's a good overview of the power struggle between the US and USSR from 1945-89. My next book to read just happens to be Nuclear Folly - A New History of the Cuban Missile Crisis by Serhii Plokhy (his previous book Chernobyl - History of a Tragedy, was excellent).

I ordered the book just now, looks like a good read, thanks!

I feel like the game does a good job of capturing the flavor of the Cold War. Space race, trying to win influence, historical events that shift influence, it's all such a clever system. I can see what it's so highly rated and enjoyed.

It's also interesting to see the different approaches to the game that people are taking. It seems like there are a good number of possible successful strategies a player can take.

If you are looking for slow (but steady), amateur-ish play, I'm your man! (PM, if you want to set up a match).

If not already mentioned, https://twilightstrategy.com/ is a great resource.

I had way too much fun playing yesterday, and I want to slow down a bit with my games so I don't burn out really fast on this.

matttutor wrote:

If you are looking for slow (but steady), amateur-ish play, I'm your man! (PM, if you want to set up a match).

If not already mentioned, https://twilightstrategy.com/ is a great resource.

PM sent! I think I have space for one more game, especially at a slow but steady pace.

Godzilla Blitz wrote:

Rise, o thread!

Glad to see this and great that we're getting some games going.

Repeating my own open invite to others to find me on Steam to try out Twilight Struggle (and maybe Labyrinth). I'm GioClark on the Playdek servers as well.

GioClark wrote:
Godzilla Blitz wrote:

Rise, o thread!

Glad to see this and great that we're getting some games going.

Repeating my own open invite to others to find me on Steam to try out Twilight Struggle (and maybe Labyrinth). I'm GioClark on the Playdek servers as well.

That's a great idea, specifically where Labyrinth is concerned. Twilight Struggle I get...Labyrinth, I don't (yet).

GioClark, I friended and challenged you. I can't find Matttutor or Godzilla Blitz on the Playdek servers, unfortunately.

Natus wrote:
GioClark wrote:
Godzilla Blitz wrote:

Rise, o thread!

Glad to see this and great that we're getting some games going.

Repeating my own open invite to others to find me on Steam to try out Twilight Struggle (and maybe Labyrinth). I'm GioClark on the Playdek servers as well.

That's a great idea, specifically where Labyrinth is concerned. Twilight Struggle I get...Labyrinth, I don't (yet).

GioClark, I friended and challenged you. I can't find Matttutor or Godzilla Blitz on the Playdek servers, unfortunately.

Oh, Labyrinth... Hmm. *thinking*

Natus --> I'm ZillaBlitz on the Playdek servers.