File under "What the hell were they thinking"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...

Obviously they never actually consulted with a male between the ages of 12 and 40-something about these olympic mascots.

IMAGE(http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01640/wenlock_and_mandev_1640094c.jpg)

I am left utterly speechless. Now if they turn them into a cartoon and these are just the mascots for real life events then maybe and I mean it is a real sliver of a maybe, that they might work out to make the olympics more cool to get people to watch.

Yes, I'm sure the kids will connect to the whole "I'm a blue and white penis with wings" motif. I mean, at least give them one mascot with a head that looks circumcised!

Hold on, maybe they're trying to recruit Daft Punk.

I can only imagine the more astute children telling their parents that a giant d*ck is walking around and waving at everyone.

I can't wait to see everyone wearing their crotchless pants at the olympics. Bold move. BOLD move.

One eyed trouser snake? Awesome lol

I'm scared.

Those mascot designers really gave London the shaft. What a bunch of dicks.

They were pretty hard up to find a mascot. Still, they really cocked this one up.

Those are the mascots? That's nuts.

I don't know what you all are talking about, that looks nothing at all like two giant penis monsters happily dancing in front of a rainbow. If they were having a mock sword fight though...

Two giant penii with a rainbow in the background is really the whipped cream on the sundae.

Were the designers under the assumption they were designing mascots for the Gay Games?

I can only assume whoever came up with this idea, was tripping their balls off at the time.

Is it April 1st again already? It seems like the last one was only a month ago.

Those guys are pretty random on a futurama-esque, 'genetalien' kind of a way.

Perhaps the designers should be sacked?

edit:
IMAGE(http://img.youtube.com/vi/lUD6cDyz42k/0.jpg)

You know, up close, they kinda look like landscape.

I kind of like them. Quite What their design, with the exception of the names, has to do with the Olympics is anyone's guess

DanB wrote:

I kind of like them. Quite What their design, with the exception of the names, has to do with the Olympics is anyone's guess

They went through it all on the One show today. Annoyingly long list of things that are supposedly supposed to remind you about the Olympic Games in their design: for example, they wear bangles that look like the Olympic rings, they have spires in the shape of the stadium (or something). The designer went waaaaayyyy too literal on the 'meaning' bit and forgot to do the whole 'looks like a cuddly mascot' bit.

Not impressed. Almost as rubbish as the Lisa-Simpson-doing-naughty-things logo.

Amoebic wrote:

Hold on, maybe they're trying to recruit Daft Punk.

Nah, because Robots would've been WAY cooler.

VDOWhoNeedsDD wrote:
DanB wrote:

I kind of like them. Quite What their design, with the exception of the names, has to do with the Olympics is anyone's guess

They went through it all on the One show today. Annoyingly long list of things that are supposedly supposed to remind you about the Olympic Games in their design: for example, they wear bangles that look like the Olympic rings, they have spires in the shape of the stadium (or something). The designer went waaaaayyyy too literal on the 'meaning' bit and forgot to do the whole 'looks like a cuddly mascot' bit.

Not impressed. Almost as rubbish as the Lisa-Simpson-doing-naughty-things logo.

I'm guessing the brief was: Must be cheap and easy to mass manufacture in felt and foam in China.

DanB wrote:
VDOWhoNeedsDD wrote:
DanB wrote:

I kind of like them. Quite What their design, with the exception of the names, has to do with the Olympics is anyone's guess

They went through it all on the One show today. Annoyingly long list of things that are supposedly supposed to remind you about the Olympic Games in their design: for example, they wear bangles that look like the Olympic rings, they have spires in the shape of the stadium (or something). The designer went waaaaayyyy too literal on the 'meaning' bit and forgot to do the whole 'looks like a cuddly mascot' bit.

Not impressed. Almost as rubbish as the Lisa-Simpson-doing-naughty-things logo.

I'm guessing the brief was: Must be cheap and easy to mass manufacture in felt and foam in China.

And able to be mass-produced in the shape of your favourite male porn star.

And where, exactly, are these games to be held? R'lyeh? First thing that came to mind when I saw the picture was "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn".

I...wait....what?

There isn't a facepalm jpg of Captain Picard big enough to cover...whatever those are.

VDOWhoNeedsDD wrote:

They went through it all on the One show today. Annoyingly long list of things that are supposedly supposed to remind you about the Olympic Games in their design

If they have to explain it, they're probably doing it wrong.

please tell me the mascots are named Peter and Willie!

ugh this post came into the thread twice.

Nosferatu wrote:

please tell me the mascots are named Peter and Willie!

Wenlock and Mandeville actually.

They plan to sell digital cameras in the shape of the mascots and putting the lens where the giant eye is... I want a penis-cam!

VDOWhoNeedsDD wrote:

Not impressed. Almost as rubbish as the Lisa-Simpson-doing-naughty-things logo.

I wouldn't have picked up on that unless you pointed it out. You sick, woman!

Funkenpants wrote:

Yes, I'm sure the kids will connect to the whole "I'm a blue and white penis with wings" motif. I mean, at least give them one mascot with a head that looks circumcised!

As uncommon as that is outside the states, I'd imagine the IOC would insist on skin.