Red Dead Redemption Catch-all

It's also decently repetitive. I'm partway through Mexico and am just tired of saving town after town after town after town after settlement after town after settlement.

I felt the same way. RDR is in my top 5 games ever, and I thought more--with zombies--could only be win-win. However, I haven't even gotten to Mexico, and I'm getting a little bored with rolling up into town and blasting zombies again and again. The story kept me engaged in RDR, even when the missions were essentially repeats. There isn't a lot of story as far as I've gotten, and my interest is flagging.

Then there is the gore.

That too. I also scare easily...

HE FARTS RAINBOWS!! [size=8]it's glorious...[/size]

Speedhuntr wrote:
Orphu wrote:

Saw a trailer for the True Grit remake...

Any else think Josh Brolin would make an awesome John Marsten?

I can dig it.

That movie looks great, too.

I am going to read the book, you Philistines.

I just got back into Undead Nightmare after playing only a short bit at launch.

I did the "The Birth Of The Conservation Movement" side quest last night.

Wowzers.

Spoiler:

That was the first gaming Kleenex moment I've had in a while.

trueheart78 wrote:
Higgledy wrote:

It now sounds like it's a great piece of DLC and enough time has passed that I wouldn't mind revisiting the world. At least it's out on it's own disc. I'm sure I'll catch up with it eventually.

As someone who loves the original RDR, the Undead Nightmare DLC has some limitations that I feel really hurt it, namely, no zombie horsemen and no zombies with guns. The latter I can understand but the prior? You now have no horseback fights aside from blasting zombies in the head.

It's also decently repetitive. I'm partway through Mexico and am just tired of saving town after town after town after town after settlement after town after settlement.

Then there is the gore. I'm not a big fan of that stuff, so a triple whammy right there.

I'm so close to getting the unicorn though, so, there is that - if I ever get back to it.

Interesting. Thanks. Unicorns aside, I won't be too disappointed now if I never get around to the DLC.

Aaron D. wrote:

I just got back into Undead Nightmare after playing only a short bit at launch.

I did the "The Birth Of The Conservation Movement" side quest last night.

Wowzers.

Spoiler:

That was the first gaming Kleenex moment I've had in a while.

Spoiler:

I decided to finish the job. I'm probably not a good person

I'm going to hold onto it and give it a go later when I'm done with New Vegas. I really love the music and the setting. Like I said, just not sold on the mechanics. If the story gets better (including the "story" of the immersive parts of the game), then I'm happy to give it a go later.

Hrmmmm. Did not know about the Unicorn.

I got bored with the last GTA as well, but not RDR. I loved GTA San Andreas so much more, I thought it had a much better sense of humor as well as some ridiculously odd and fun missions.

Ballotechnic wrote:

Hrmmmm. Did not know about the Unicorn.

I got bored with the last GTA as well, but not RDR. I loved GTA San Andreas so much more, I thought it had a much better sense of humor as well as some ridiculously odd and fun missions.

That's just the thing. I don't hate GTA games as a rule. Far from it. I loved San Andreas and I played Vice City for more hours than I care to count. I just found GTA IV lacking because the toys weren't interesting to me and the story wasn't to my liking. Vice City is up there amongst my favorite games ever.

Secret Asian Man wrote:
Aaron D. wrote:
Spoiler:

That was the first gaming Kleenex moment I've had in a while.

Spoiler:

I decided to finish the job. I'm probably not a good person

Spoiler:

Yeah, that sounds about right. :p

Do we hand out prizes for double posts?

P-P-P-P-Page breaker!

Update: Aaron D. fixed the page. This now seems out of context.

/awkward silence

Double XP until 2011! Who is up for some zombie multiplayer this weekend?

While watching TRUE GRIT yesterday, I realized that I would give quite a bit of cash to be able to play a TG game using the RDR engine. Rooster & John Marston FTW.

SallyNasty wrote:

Double XP until 2011! Who is up for some zombie multiplayer this weekend?

I'm on the road until Monday, but after that I'd be interested in some multiplayer.

SommerMatt wrote:

While watching TRUE GRIT yesterday, I realized that I would give quite a bit of cash to be able to play a TG game using the RDR engine. Rooster & John Marston FTW.

You could have minigames for rolling cigarettes and fixing bitten tongues.

CptGlanton wrote:
SommerMatt wrote:

While watching TRUE GRIT yesterday, I realized that I would give quite a bit of cash to be able to play a TG game using the RDR engine. Rooster & John Marston FTW.

You could have minigames for rolling cigarettes and fixing bitten tongues.

Mattie Ross would kick Marston Junior's ass.

I thought her character--and that actress's portrayal of her--were both wonderful. Together, they highlight just how far Rockstar has to go in their 'cinema games' genre.

Was the Coen brother's True Grit good?

I watched 'All the pretty horses' yesterday. It wasn't exactly full of christmas cheer but I enjoyed it.

True Grit is about 100 times better than the film version of ATPH. If you are just starting out in the genre, the Coens' No Country for Old Men is a lot better than ATPH, too--and both are Cormac McCarthy novels.

CptGlanton wrote:

True Grit is about 100 times better than the film version of ATPH. If you are just starting out in the genre, the Coens' No Country for Old Men is a lot better than ATPH, too--and both are Cormac McCarthy novels.

I may have to try Cormac McCarthy. I enjoyed No Country for Old Men.

Higgledy wrote:
CptGlanton wrote:

True Grit is about 100 times better than the film version of ATPH. If you are just starting out in the genre, the Coens' No Country for Old Men is a lot better than ATPH, too--and both are Cormac McCarthy novels.

I may have to try Cormac McCarthy. I enjoyed No Country for Old Men.

In that case: Blood Meridian. It will blow your mind. I think it's the best American novel of the last 50 years. Brutal.

Hangdog is correct--I think that McCarthy is probably the best American novelist since Faulkner. I'm not sure that I'd start with Blood Meridian, though (which is his best novel; I think that the last paragraph of that book might be the best thing I've ever read). Maybe read NCfOM, then The Crossing, then Blood Meridian. They're all Westerns, but in terms of stylistic and thematic accessibility, they go from middle school to high school to college.

CptGlanton wrote:

Hangdog is correct--I think that McCarthy is probably the best American novelist since Faulkner. I'm not sure that I'd start with Blood Meridian, though (which is his best novel; I think that the last paragraph of that book might be the best thing I've ever read). Maybe read NCfOM, then The Crossing, then Blood Meridian. They're all Westerns, but in terms of stylistic and thematic accessibility, they go from middle school to high school to college.

Excellent. Thanks. I'll give them a go.

If anyone's up for some MP tonight or tomorrow, i'm down.

What to do now? I finished Undead Nightmare. I still love the picturesque world and running around multiplayer as Abigail almost has a certain appeal, but after 20 minutes or so in that space I get the sense there's nothing really going on, no "there" there, just aggro horsemen who want to burn me alive, even on the Friendly servers. Time to move on?

Slumberland wrote:

What to do now? I finished Undead Nightmare. I still love the picturesque world and running around multiplayer as Abigail almost has a certain appeal, but after 20 minutes or so in that space I get the sense there's nothing really going on, no "there" there, just aggro horsemen who want to burn me alive, even on the Friendly servers. Time to move on?

Time to move on, I'm afraid. Sure was good while it lasted, though.

trueheart78 wrote:
Slumberland wrote:

What to do now? I finished Undead Nightmare. I still love the picturesque world and running around multiplayer as Abigail almost has a certain appeal, but after 20 minutes or so in that space I get the sense there's nothing really going on, no "there" there, just aggro horsemen who want to burn me alive, even on the Friendly servers. Time to move on?

Time to move on, I'm afraid. Sure was good while it lasted, though.

I went to this (not the thread, the game).

Well, I managed to borrow Red Dead off a friends son so I can stop pretending I didn't want to play Undead Nightmare. I lent him Assassin's Creed, Half Life Orange Box and Crackdown in exchange. He didn't have any of them which simulataneously made me sad and made me happy to be able to offer such a bounty of gaming goodness. Unfortunately his 360 is in the living room and, from what he had in his game collection, I sense his parents restrict the games he can play on grounds of the violence involved. I may have to warn him to only visit Ravenholm when they're out.

As far as Red Dead is concerned I'm not sure how far he got with the game. I cringe to think that his parents might have been around when he arrived at a certain scene in Mexico involving casual, yet enthusiastic, copulation.