Red Dead Redemption Catch-all

Baron Of Hell wrote:

What is Gun.

Is that your final answer?

What is game?

Bonus_Eruptus wrote:

What is game?

I need that in the form of a wonder twin.

SpacePPoliceman wrote:
SommerMatt wrote:

Speaking of horses, I am still annoyed that I killed frigging War within five minutes of getting him. Haven't found him again. Got Pestilence (who the game claims is undying; not true) and then Famine. Hate the stupid buzzing fly sound Famine gives off.

Finish the 4 Horses challenges, and you get deeds for all of them.

Which is fine, but I'll pretty much be done with the game by that point. Why would I need them then?

Hi all,

Three friends and I just picked up this game. We are interested in goofing around with the multiplayer, if anyone is interested.

Any must have DLC for the multiplayer?

We are on the PS3. My PSN name is 'Troland'. I every night this weekend. Friend me up.

Best,

Greg

360 gang - we shooting zombies tonight?

Finally picked up Undead Nightmare. Man, is it bananas. I'm only about an hour into it.

The only thing I really don't like is how scarce ammo is. Not because I feel like there isn't enough, but because the moment you tell me I have fewer than infinity bullets, I stop spending them entirely in case I "need them more later." I don't much like killing zombies with that stupid torch.

SallyNasty wrote:

360 gang - we shooting zombies tonight?

I might be persuaded to play some. Had a lot of fun last weekend.

Spoiler:

I might be staying sober tonight, though.

CptGlanton wrote:
SallyNasty wrote:

360 gang - we shooting zombies tonight?

I might be persuaded to play some. Had a lot of fun last weekend.

Spoiler:

I might be staying sober tonight, though.

Spoiler:

Me too, or at least more sober. I broke a bit too hard into the scotch last weekend.

SallyNasty wrote:
CptGlanton wrote:
SallyNasty wrote:

360 gang - we shooting zombies tonight?

I might be persuaded to play some. Had a lot of fun last weekend.

Spoiler:

I might be staying sober tonight, though.

Spoiler:

Me too, or at least more sober. I broke a bit too hard into the scotch last weekend.

If I'm online and in Rock band 3 (which is quite likely) shoot me a party invite and I'll jump in.

Spoiler:

Hopefully someone can provide the laughs this time. Dynamite resurrections and in-boat tosses aren't consistent enough to provide all of them!

LobsterMobster wrote:

Finally picked up Undead Nightmare. Man, is it bananas. I'm only about an hour into it.

The only thing I really don't like is how scarce ammo is. Not because I feel like there isn't enough, but because the moment you tell me I have fewer than infinity bullets, I stop spending them entirely in case I "need them more later." I don't much like killing zombies with that stupid torch.

Don't sweat it too much. As you complete challenges (like undead hunter) and liberate towns, you'll have plenty.

Certis wrote:
LobsterMobster wrote:

Finally picked up Undead Nightmare. Man, is it bananas. I'm only about an hour into it.

The only thing I really don't like is how scarce ammo is. Not because I feel like there isn't enough, but because the moment you tell me I have fewer than infinity bullets, I stop spending them entirely in case I "need them more later." I don't much like killing zombies with that stupid torch.

Don't sweat it too much. As you complete challenges (like undead hunter) and liberate towns, you'll have plenty.

QFT. By somewhere around the middle point of the story missions I had so much ammo I was actually wondering if the "ammunitions scarcity" bullet-point for Undead Nightmare was made up.

The lack of zombies on horses is getting to me...

So I'm torn on this and hope someone can help me make a decision. Yeah, I'm a little in "help me make a decision" mode. I apologize, but hopefully this is specific enough to be okay. I picked up RDR again to play Undead Nightmare. I really wasn't engaged enough in RDR to finish it. So here's my question.

#1 - Is Undead Nightmare worth it on its own? Will I be missing out on really important context if I just decide to skip RDR and go straight to Undead Nightmare? I played it a little last night and it seems much more fun to me than RDR proper. And I know I'd get *more* out of it by playing the original game and then Undead Nightmare, but I don't honestly know when and if I'd ever get through RDR. So if I play Undead Nightmare first will it be worth it on its own? Will I care that I'm missing out on some context?

#2 - In the same vein as the "should I bother with RDR proper question".... Is it just me or is RDR kind of a poor sandbox game? When I say that I mean that there are worlds that are fun to just goof around in for various reasons. Saints Row 2 gave you tons of activities to do and very little consequences to creating mayhem. Red Faction: Guerilla gave you a world to destroy and see stuff blow up. Games like Skate and Burnout Paradise toss you into open worlds where you are playing a different genre, but the open world becomes a fun place to go tool around in. Then there are games like Just Cause 2. A hybrid of these kinds of open world games where you get to run around a world blowing stuff up and creating mayhem AND having fun base jumping and just traversing the open world. Finally, I really enjoy open worlds like Fallout: New Vegas where the fun is in being able to choose in which order to play the story (or not play the story). Discovering cities and situations and story lines that are interesting and compelling.

In my mind RDR is none of the above and that's why it didn't click with me. The story isn't that compelling to me. It still feels linear-ish (the story, at least). The side stories you have in a game like New Vegas are far more interesting and the ability to create mayhem is very low from what I've experienced so far. Am I missing something? Am I crazy to just go to Undead Nightmare?

You can't permanently destroy anything, but I've gone on some shooting rampages in Blackwater that brought a few truckloads of Federal Marshals to town. I eventually got some kind of achievement for killing (I think) 5000 people.

Since Undead Nightmare is stand-alone, you don't miss (or gain) anything by playing it. It's a totally separate story only containing the same characters.

Baron Of Hell wrote:
trueheart78 wrote:

Wow, they've really gone mainstream.
IMAGE(http://images.joshuamills.net/rdr/rdr_500x_jeopardy.jpg)

What is Gun.

Not in the category. Gun isn't a color.

If it was gunmetal grey, you might have an argument with the judges.

The end of Undead Nightmare probably won't make sense to you unless you finish RDR.

DSGamer wrote:

The story isn't that compelling to me.

The story told was the main reason I played for 30 hours. That and hunting animals was too much fun.

Who are these people that are not liking this game and where can I get their addresses? I have some strange liquid to send their way...

trueheart78 wrote:

Who are these people that are not liking this game and where can I get their addresses? I have some strange liquid to send their way...

Spoiler:

It's urine

You will miss a lot in Undead Nightmare without having the main RDR story as background. There are a ton of inside jokes with the characters and the ending will make no sense whatsoever.

Saw a trailer for the True Grit remake...

Any else think Josh Brolin would make an awesome John Marsten?

Orphu wrote:

Saw a trailer for the True Grit remake...

Any else think Josh Brolin would make an awesome John Marsten?

I can dig it.

That movie looks great, too.

I say give RDR another try if you haven't got that many hours in it. I wandered around doing all sorts of things. To date I think it is tied for my number one single player video game experience (with Deus Ex). The main story and some of the side stories just really moved me in ways I hadn't anticipated. The widow, the man travelling to California, "I Know You", the prostitute in Mexico, the retired gunfighter in Mexico...just great experiences. One of the few games I will never sell.

I'd say skip it. If memory serves, GTAIV never clicked for you either, so i'm willing to say that this will not click either. I mean, I loved it so much i'm playing through a second time, but half your post is "reasons why I didn't like RDR".

If you didn't like RDR, RDR with a Zombie glaze (which is all Undead Nightmare is, and is arguably even more linear than RDR itself) probably isn't going to make you like RDR.

I'm beginning to regret trading RDR in to fund Reach (don't regret getting Reach.) At the time I was so satisfied with the games story that I didn't want to taint my memories of a fantastic game by arsing about with zombies in the same world.

It now sounds like it's a great piece of DLC and enough time has passed that I wouldn't mind revisiting the world. At least it's out on it's own disc. I'm sure I'll catch up with it eventually.

Higgledy wrote:

It now sounds like it's a great piece of DLC and enough time has passed that I wouldn't mind revisiting the world. At least it's out on it's own disc. I'm sure I'll catch up with it eventually.

As someone who loves the original RDR, the Undead Nightmare DLC has some limitations that I feel really hurt it, namely, no zombie horsemen and no zombies with guns. The latter I can understand but the prior? You now have no horseback fights aside from blasting zombies in the head.

It's also decently repetitive. I'm partway through Mexico and am just tired of saving town after town after town after town after settlement after town after settlement.

Then there is the gore. I'm not a big fan of that stuff, so a triple whammy right there.

I'm so close to getting the unicorn though, so, there is that - if I ever get back to it.

Prederick wrote:

I'd say skip it. If memory serves, GTAIV never clicked for you either, so i'm willing to say that this will not click either. I mean, I loved it so much i'm playing through a second time, but half your post is "reasons why I didn't like RDR".

GTA4 had a short life in my drive, but I played 100+ hours of RDR, and look forward to digging into Undead Nightmare. So I don't think it's necessarily a given if you didn't like GTA4 you won't like this.

I didn't hate GTA4, just got bored for some reason.

trueheart78 wrote:

blah blah blah ... unicorn ... blah blah blah

... Did you say "unicorn"? You can get a freakin' unicorn?! sh*t! I'm only borrowing this game from Secret Asian Man, but I'm tempted to get the DLC for that alone.

WipEout wrote:
trueheart78 wrote:

blah blah blah ... unicorn ... blah blah blah

... Did you say "unicorn"? You can get a freakin' unicorn?! sh*t! I'm only borrowing this game from Secret Asian Man, but I'm tempted to get the DLC for that alone.