Red Dead Redemption Catch-all

That's a really nicely produced video, and kinda made me want to fire 'er back up again. Mission accomplished Rockstar!

FWIW, Jose Gonzalez's Veneer is a very nice album. Bought it about five minutes after I saw this ad for the first time:

Just a nice, gentle, relaxing chunk of music.

IGN wrote:

Best Selling Games of 2010 So Far
Red Dead Redemption running away with it.
July 19, 2010

We've hit the halfway point of 2010, and it looks as though Rockstar Games' Red Dead Redemption is going to be the best selling game this year in the U.S. if things don't change dramatically.

Posted below are two groups of console game unit sales ranked from January 2010 to June 2010, provided by research firm NPD. The first is a look at the top ten individual console sales. The second is the top five sales when multiplatform games are combined. (Note: Unit sales figures could not be published)

Some things to note:

- Modern Warfare 2 is still outselling Bad Company 2, even though the title was released in November of 2009. Bad Company 2 launched in March 2010.

- Wii dominates individual sales with five titles in the top ten.

- Mass Effect 2, considered one of this year's best titles, did not chart in the top ten.

Top Ten Individual Platform Sales (Jan-Jun)

1. New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Wii
2. Pokemon SoulSilver Version - Nintendo DS
3. Red Dead Redemption - Xbox 360
4. God of War III - PlayStation 3
5. Wii Fit Plus w/Balance Board - Wii
6. Wii Sports Resort w/ Wii Motion Plus - Wii
7. Pokemon HeartGold Version - Nintendo DS
8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Xbox 360
9. Just Dance - Wii
10. Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Wii

Top Five Combined Platform Sales (Jan-Jun)

1. Red Dead Redemption (360,PS3)
2. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
3. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2* (360,PS3)
4. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (360,PS3)
5. Wii Fit Plus* (Wii)

* = Sales across all platforms and bundles, CE, GOTY editions etc.

Not sure why they're so confident that RDR is going to outsell Halo Reach or Call of Duty. It might, but it seems just as likely to me that it won't.

CptGlanton wrote:

Not sure why they're so confident that RDR is going to outsell Halo Reach or Call of Duty. It might, but it seems just as likely to me that it won't.

RDR is multi-platform, and Reach is 360 only. As for the new CoD, it's coming out in November, so there won't be enough time for it to sell that many units. Seems like RDR is probably safe.

And two Pokemon games in the top 10? It must be nice to be able to print money.

I could see Reach or CoD surpassing RDR. Look at how well Halo 3 sold, and look at MW2 still charting as #3 cross-platform in 2010 (a late 2009 release). Regardless, I thought it was interesting because before it was released it wasn't even on my radar, but I picked it up anyway and don't regret it one bit.

As for the top 10, there's 5 Wii games, 2 DS games, 2 360 games and 1 PS3 game. That's just crazy.

If RDR was on the Wii...

I want to do some coop with some reliable folks. I would like to beat the basic missions and move on to the advanced. Anyone want to team up tonight? I'll probably be on around 730 EST. Just send me a friend invite/message and we can get a party going.

FYI, it really sucks that coop missions end if everyone bails. Pubbies suck.

@Shoal07 - If you don't mind playing with someone who has yet to play an online game of RDR, I will send you an invite. Mine will probably not be until after my kids go to bed at about 8:30 or so, EST.

CptGlanton wrote:

Not sure why they're so confident that RDR is going to outsell Halo Reach or Call of Duty. It might, but it seems just as likely to me that it won't.

trueheart78 wrote:

I could see Reach or CoD surpassing RDR. Look at how well Halo 3 sold, and look at MW2 still charting as #3 cross-platform in 2010 (a late 2009 release).

You did notice that the article is only talking about 2010... right?

We've hit the halfway point of 2010, and it looks as though Rockstar Games' Red Dead Redemption is going to be the best selling game this year in the U.S. if things don't change dramatically.

With RDR having a 6 month headstart on Black Ops, which has less than 2 months to get sales this year, there is no way it will outsell RDR in 2010. On the other hand, Reach releases in September, so I think it may have a slight chance to pass RDR since it is Bungie's swan song to Halo.

Thing is, the CoD & Halo franchises are heavily front loaded. Didn't the last iteration of each sell like 5 or 6 million on opening day?

I mean, I'd love RDR to be the biggest seller of 2010, but it's just seems unlikely as Halo/CoD are bigger franchises at the moment.

MeatMan wrote:
CptGlanton wrote:

Not sure why they're so confident that RDR is going to outsell Halo Reach or Call of Duty. It might, but it seems just as likely to me that it won't.

trueheart78 wrote:

I could see Reach or CoD surpassing RDR. Look at how well Halo 3 sold, and look at MW2 still charting as #3 cross-platform in 2010 (a late 2009 release).

You did notice that the article is only talking about 2010... right?

I also noticed that 1) we're talking about two of the most powerful franchises in the industry, and that they are 2) both releasing in the holiday season, which dominates the year's sales numbers. That's in addition to Aaron D's point that both of those franchises are renown for their day one sales.

Shoal07 wrote:

I want to do some coop with some reliable folks. I would like to beat the basic missions and move on to the advanced. Anyone want to team up tonight? I'll probably be on around 730 EST. Just send me a friend invite/message and we can get a party going.

FYI, it really sucks that coop missions end if everyone bails. Pubbies suck.

I guess it was Gears Thursday—That's all I saw in my friends list.

mudbunny wrote:

@Shoal07 - If you don't mind playing with someone who has yet to play an online game of RDR, I will send you an invite. Mine will probably not be until after my kids go to bed at about 8:30 or so, EST.

I don't mind at all. I played SP for over an hour, but I might have gotten off right before you got on. Just send me a friend invite and we can play MP anytime.

Tonight I'm going to play poker, but I should be on sometime around 1230/1am EST.

Oh, and to specify, I have it on 360.

Shoal07 wrote:
mudbunny wrote:

@Shoal07 - If you don't mind playing with someone who has yet to play an online game of RDR, I will send you an invite. Mine will probably not be until after my kids go to bed at about 8:30 or so, EST.

I don't mind at all. I played SP for over an hour, but I might have gotten off right before you got on. Just send me a friend invite and we can play MP anytime.

Tonight I'm going to play poker, but I should be on sometime around 1230/1am EST.

Oh, and to specify, I have it on 360.

So do I (on the 360 that is).

I didn't get on last night at all. Did a number on my ankle in soccer yesterday, and spent most of the night with my foot up and an ice-pack on it.

mudbunny wrote:
Shoal07 wrote:
mudbunny wrote:

@Shoal07 - If you don't mind playing with someone who has yet to play an online game of RDR, I will send you an invite. Mine will probably not be until after my kids go to bed at about 8:30 or so, EST.

I don't mind at all. I played SP for over an hour, but I might have gotten off right before you got on. Just send me a friend invite and we can play MP anytime.

Tonight I'm going to play poker, but I should be on sometime around 1230/1am EST.

Oh, and to specify, I have it on 360.

So do I (on the 360 that is).

I didn't get on last night at all. Did a number on my ankle in soccer yesterday, and spent most of the night with my foot up and an ice-pack on it.

Could of done that infront of the TV with a 360 controller in your hand. Not going to hurt your ankle playing xbox!

Shoal07 wrote:
mudbunny wrote:
Shoal07 wrote:
mudbunny wrote:

@Shoal07 - If you don't mind playing with someone who has yet to play an online game of RDR, I will send you an invite. Mine will probably not be until after my kids go to bed at about 8:30 or so, EST.

I don't mind at all. I played SP for over an hour, but I might have gotten off right before you got on. Just send me a friend invite and we can play MP anytime.

Tonight I'm going to play poker, but I should be on sometime around 1230/1am EST.

Oh, and to specify, I have it on 360.

So do I (on the 360 that is).

I didn't get on last night at all. Did a number on my ankle in soccer yesterday, and spent most of the night with my foot up and an ice-pack on it.

Could of done that infront of the TV with a 360 controller in your hand. Not going to hurt your ankle playing xbox! ;)

My XBox is hooked up to my computer through a KVM switch.

We are one of the few houses in NA that only has 1 TV, which my wife uses a lot of the time.

Yonder, that Tremors DLC idea you wrote out was awesome. I'd buy that!

I've finished the game and thought it was a superb ending.

Spoiler:

I unwittingly I tripped over some clues to what was going to happen while finding out what I needed to do for 100% completion. I looked up the last stranger quests and read something about avenging 'John.' Fortunately, the possibility that Marston could die just didn't occur to me and I found myself thinking, "John... who's John? I don't remember a John." It was only during the last fight that it started to dawn on me which John they might be referring to. It didn't spoil it for me and I'm glad I knew about the last stranger quest.

I'm a big fan of movies that end as soon as the story is over, i.e. Miller's Crossing, and I loved how Red Dead ended as soon as the son turned away from the last duel.

During the whole series of missions from the farm I had a bad feeling (similar to the end of 'Seven' when the guy turns himself in. Something bad was going to happen but I didn't know what and to who.) Every time Marston and son returned from a hunting trip I expected to find the farm on fire. So glad they didn't do that.

I'd love to see another Red Dead but I don't know how they could do another one to match this game.

Higgledy wrote:

I'd love to see another Red Dead but I don't know how they could do another one to match this game.

There are some games that I don't think should have direct sequels, and this would be one of them. In fairness, there are movies that should never have sequels either, but I'd love to see what this studio does next/game after next knowing how well RDR performed.

In that case I would like to see a game in the same universe at the same time as John is saving his family. This way you could have a few hints at what is going on in New Austin but it won't mess up the already existing story. Rockstar has done it with the GTA III and IV series so I see no reason why they wouldn't continue their successful formula.

Vrikk wrote:

In that case I would like to see a game in the same universe at the same time as John is saving his family. This way you could have a few hints at what is going on in New Austin but it won't mess up the already existing story. Rockstar has done it with the GTA III and IV series so I see no reason why they wouldn't continue their successful formula.

I don't think it has to be the same time if the location is different. The whole "west is comming to an end" meme was lame and irrelevent anyway.

Ugh. Five finger fillet is a sod. It may be the thing that stops me getting my 100% :(.

I kind of hope they don't make a sequel to RDR, even though I know they will. It feels like RDR told a very specific, time-sensitive story. I don't think there's much more to be said. Of course I'm sure there were other, similar, concurrent stories...

Higgledy wrote:

Ugh. Five finger fillet is a sod. It may be the thing that stops me getting my 100% :(.

The pattern isn't random so the key is memorization. Focus on hitting the right buttons in order rather than waiting for prompts.

LobsterMobster wrote:
Higgledy wrote:

Ugh. Five finger fillet is a sod. It may be the thing that stops me getting my 100% :(.

The pattern isn't random so the key is memorization. Focus on hitting the right buttons in order rather than waiting for prompts.

Memorization, raw will, and keeping in mind that money is cheap. It takes a while, but it comes eventually.

Poker, though, is my kryptonite. Poker, like Monopoly, isn't a game that ends, it's a game people just stop playing.

SpacePPoliceman wrote:
LobsterMobster wrote:
Higgledy wrote:

Ugh. Five finger fillet is a sod. It may be the thing that stops me getting my 100% :(.

The pattern isn't random so the key is memorization. Focus on hitting the right buttons in order rather than waiting for prompts.

Memorization, raw will, and keeping in mind that money is cheap. It takes a while, but it comes eventually.

Thanks. I'll have to settle down in front of the game one Saturday morning and tell myself I'm not moving from the spot until I've beaten that mini game. Doing that usually gets me to relax enough to not trip myself up. I'll also be able to put in a more concerted effort on the memorisation front.

SpacePPoliceman wrote:

Poker, though, is my kryptonite. Poker, like Monopoly, isn't a game that ends, it's a game people just stop playing.

I have to do the poker yet aswell but I think I should be ok with the game (famous last words) once I actually make the effort to sit down and learn the rules.

Yes, Poker is a game that people just stop playing, except that you can force them to stop playing by cheating your ass off and murdering them if they dare to notice.

LobsterMobster wrote:

Yes, Poker is a game that people just stop playing, except that you can force them to stop playing by cheating your ass off and murdering them if they dare to notice. :D

That's effective, and immensely satisfying, but then you end up in a horrific war of attrition with that last guy, trading antes back and forth in a Kafka-esque hell until you want to scream, then you get frustrated and get caught cheating by that last guy, so you load your save and come back and ante in with some dynamite, then you load again and intend to start it all over, but you end up shotgunning everyone, then you load again and actually do start all over.

Then you figure out the best strat is to eliminate all but one, and go All In each hand, and pray that when the last guy gets a hand, yours is better.

One of the outfit requirements was to win a Poker table in New Austin.

I found that the trick it to sit down at the table with only the dealer present. Then it's just you against one AI opponent. The best time is late in the evening/early morning, when most of the bar crowd will have been gone for the night.

Worked fine for me.

100% Redeemed = done.

Five finger fillet was, as you say, a matter of memorising and practice.

The poker game was fun. I tried to get there early but still ended up with three other people in the game. I busted out at the same time as one guy. He left and I rejoined the game with only two other players. I tried cheating, got caught and killed one of the two remaining guys in a duel. Leaving the white suited gentleman sprawIed on the street I returned to the game that was now just me and the last guy. I won a few big pots (more by luck than judgement) and found myself with the majority of the chips I then whittling the last player down with small wins until he was out.

Higgledy wrote:

I tried cheating, got caught and killed one of the two remaining guys in a duel. Leaving the white suited gentleman sprawIed on the street I returned to the game that was now just me and the last guy.

You may have won, but that last guy had some brass balls to stay in against a cheating murderer. I tip my hat to him.

Gravey wrote:
Higgledy wrote:

I tried cheating, got caught and killed one of the two remaining guys in a duel. Leaving the white suited gentleman sprawIed on the street I returned to the game that was now just me and the last guy.

You may have won, but that last guy had some brass balls to stay in against a cheating murderer. I tip my hat to him.

Yeah. He was quite calm considering.