Arizona Is Having An Interesting Few Weeks

I think they would have been better not to have mentioned ethnic studies in the law at all and simply ban classes that advocate overthrowing the government or resentment towards a race or class.

Paleocon wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:
goman wrote:

I like how the Tuscon school district said this law does not pertain to them or the courses they offer.

A lot of people seem to be focusing on the "particular ethnic group" part and ignoring the "overthrow of the United States government / resentment toward a race or class of people" part.

Because then they'd have to stop teaching the history of the Civil War.

Why, I believe you mean the War of Northern Aggression.

Robear wrote:

Illegal aliens are what, about 1.5% of the people physically in the borders at any given time? And around 60% of them are people who simply overstayed their visas. Sounds like a crisis to me!

I have seen numbers quoted at 12 million up to 30 million, which would put it at 4-10%, right? Where does the 1.5% number come from?

Paleocon wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:
goman wrote:

I like how the Tuscon school district said this law does not pertain to them or the courses they offer.

A lot of people seem to be focusing on the "particular ethnic group" part and ignoring the "overthrow of the United States government / resentment toward a race or class of people" part.

Because then they'd have to stop teaching the history of the Civil War.

Do you mean the one in 1858 or 1911?

This law is puzzling to me because I see two ways of interpreting it.

You are either not allowed to teach ethnic studies classes unless the classes that you teach study ethnicity.

Or, you are not allowed to teach ethnic studies unless you are discussing Jewish or African historical atrocities. I guess Hispanic atrocities don't count. For that matter, what about Polish people, gypsies, the Chinese, Bosnians, etc.? It reads like we don't want to piss off the Jews and Blacks because they can organize and are threat to power. But, because of the legal status of a portion of Hispanics, we can rape them because they risk being deported if they organize and mount a challenge.

Any bets on how long until its discovered that the governor employed an undocumented house or grounds keeper?

MilkmanDanimal wrote:
Paleocon wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:
goman wrote:

I like how the Tuscon school district said this law does not pertain to them or the courses they offer.

A lot of people seem to be focusing on the "particular ethnic group" part and ignoring the "overthrow of the United States government / resentment toward a race or class of people" part.

Because then they'd have to stop teaching the history of the Civil War.

Why, I believe you mean the War of Northern Aggression.

I have also heard the recent unpleasantness and Mr. Lincoln's war thrown around.

The Daily Show said it best: if states can be the "laboratories of democracy," Arizona has become the meth lab of democracy.

Something I was tossing around my head. Is is good, or bad, for me(us) on a personal level that right wing madness may soon overtake anti-videogame madness as the topic of the hour in state government?
Further, how good must the gay community feel on this? Houston elected an openly gay mayor, but it was the textbook madness stealing headlines.

KingGorilla wrote:

Further, how good must the gay community feel on this? Houston elected an openly gay mayor, but it was the textbook madness stealing headlines.

Well, that's a matter of news organizations' priorities. "If it bleeds, it leads..." and, uh, I guess, "if it sleeps with other men, it goes on page ten?"

KingGorilla wrote:

Something I was tossing around my head. Is is good, or bad, for me(us) on a personal level that right wing madness may soon overtake anti-videogame madness as the topic of the hour in state government?
Further, how good must the gay community feel on this? Houston elected an openly gay mayor, but it was the textbook madness stealing headlines.

On some level, it's kinda nice that it was overshadowed by the textbook controversy if you ask me. First, realistically, the textbook situation was way more important than a lesbian being elected mayor of Houston. Secondly, as much as it was a big deal, there's something to be said about it actually getting a big "meh" from people... means we're not such a big deal now, and maybe people are starting to come around to understanding that we're JUST PEOPLE.

Rubb Ed wrote:
KingGorilla wrote:

Something I was tossing around my head. Is is good, or bad, for me(us) on a personal level that right wing madness may soon overtake anti-videogame madness as the topic of the hour in state government?
Further, how good must the gay community feel on this? Houston elected an openly gay mayor, but it was the textbook madness stealing headlines.

On some level, it's kinda nice that it was overshadowed by the textbook controversy if you ask me. First, realistically, the textbook situation was way more important than a lesbian being elected mayor of Houston. Secondly, as much as it was a big deal, there's something to be said about it actually getting a big "meh" from people... means we're not such a big deal now, and maybe people are starting to come around to understanding that we're JUST PEOPLE.

I don't think Americans, let alone Texans, have matured past the whole "ZOMG gayz iz icky" mentality, but I'm optimistic we'll get there sometime in my lifetime.